The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

There a way to see rest stops on main highways?

Hey guys, I've been meaning to post here since Monday. Monday was my first real journey that I've had with my Garmin Nuvi 255W. First and foremost, the greatest thing is knowing exactly what time I'll be at the destination. I suck at "guestimating" times... but hey that makes it almost unmistakable unless I hit some major traffic or accident. There were only 2 gripes that I could think of while using this.

1) I was traveling the NJ Turnpike for the entire trip. At one point of the NJTP, it separates between a cars only section, and cars / trucks / buses. For one reason or another, the GPS told me to go the Cars / Trucks / Buses route, which usually means more traffic as you're stuck behind a truck. Both areas have exits to the same places so it can't be that. On the trip home, I went against the GPS and took the cars only route... after a quick recalculating, it was fine.

2) There are about 4 service areas (maybe more!) between my home, and my destination in North Jersey. Not once did I ever see a road, or anything else come up on the GPS that would take me to them. I have my viewing set to "Most", and zoomed in as much as I could to see what I could. That's something I'm still trying to master is the zooming of the device. Is there any way to see rest stops as you're coming past them?

Comments

• ifse 0 Points
    1. The GPS doesn't know if you are driving a car, truck or bus, so steering you to the good-for-all lanes is probably the right choice :)

2. I think it depends on the map than on the level of detail. For the NJTP (you poor thing :)), you can download these POIs for rest areas: http://www.poi-factory.com/node/2576
  • I'll check that out, thank you!
  • poin2 0 Points
    I was going to suggest downloading a POI for rest areas at poi-factory myself.

There are others at the following if you want to clutter your unit with the rest of the U.S. as well (though you can edit a file to be only certain states or something):

http://www.poi-factory.com/taxonomy/term/25

You might also want to look into their red light camera POI while you're at it.

• 2) There are about 4 service areas (maybe more!) between my home, and my destination in North Jersey. Not once did I ever see a road, or anything else come up on the GPS that would take me to them. I have my viewing set to "Most", and zoomed in as much as I could to see what I could. That's something I'm still trying to master is the zooming of the device. Is there any way to see rest stops as you're coming past them?

Rest areas and the signs leading to them are visible if you keep your eyes on the road rather than on your Garmin. This method has also been known to help prevent accidents.
  • Thanks for your wonderful post Bulliever. I'll keep in mind to drive with the eyes open once in awhile while I'm driving at 120+mph down the highway staring only at my GPS. Sometimes it would be nice that since I have a GPS, I can pre-plan my trips, or know how far a gas station is if I need one and don't see a gas station next ## miles sign.

Sorry to jump on the defensive on this but is this necessary?
  • I downloaded the POI's and had them installed using POILoader. I also set the proximity alert so I know a rest area is coming up. The proximity feature alert will help with my next road trip with a 9 month old baby that needs lots of attention (wife is not traveling with us but meeting us at our destination).
  • I still have to install my POI's using this. My biggest concern is how to use multiple POI's, such as the ones for the rest stops as well as the red lights... Something I still need to research! I'll let you know how it goes!
  • ifse 0 Points
    You can install as many POIs as you want, provided that you have enough space (and there is plenty on the 255W). They don't interfere with each other.
  • Oh wow, I thought I read that when you install one POI set, they overwrite the other... I didn't know I could have multiple POI lists!
  • ifse 0 Points
    You have to keep them together in a folder, but each POI "set" is separate and doesn't talk to the other sets. You can have as many sets as you want as long as space permits.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    When you load a custom POI folder it will overwrite the existing one. I keep all my customs in one folder on my computer, If I add a new collection, I add it to the existing directory and upload all at one time.
  • Thanks for your wonderful post Bulliever. I'll keep in mind to drive with the eyes open once in awhile while I'm driving at 120+mph down the highway staring only at my GPS. Sometimes it would be nice that since I have a GPS, I can pre-plan my trips, or know how far a gas station is if I need one and don't see a gas station next ## miles sign.

Sorry to jump on the defensive on this but is this necessary?
    If you have ever assisted in the extraction of a newbie GPS user from the vehicle he/she wrapped around a tree, you'd understand why I posted that comment.

BTW if you want to preplan trips using a GPS a Garmin 7XX series PND would be a better choice then a 2XX.
  • DGMorgan 0 Points
    Try pressing - Where to, Near, My current Route, Points of Interest, Spell Name, "Rest Ar". - It will take long for the search but it will show what you are looking for.
  • Spyder63 216 Points
    My "old" nuvi 680 has a category called Rest Area/Tourist Info that works for me. Don't know if the 255W has the same categories. To access rest areas: Where To? -> Food, Lodging... -> Auto Services -> Rest Area/Tourist Info. The beauty of the Garmin is that when the Rest Area list in on the screen the gps continuously updates the distance and direction to the POIs. Some GPS units do not update. In an urban area or tourist area you may get quite a few "convention and visitor bureaus", but out on the open highway you will get primarily rest areas and service plazas. As noted by DGMorgan the key is to remember to set your search criteria to Near My Current Route.
  • Ozme52 0 Points
    I'm having a "duh" moment trying to figure out how to combine these features from the GPS menus. (Maybe the duh is that I need to be setting up the info on my PC and downloading it all to the GPS, in which case, a link pointing to a tutorial would be appreciated.)

How does one set a proximity alert?
    How does one do this after setting up your initial "where to". (In otherwords, I have a destination and now I want to see proximity alerts for selected points of interest along the way. Actually, I want to hear them as my GPS is usually in my pocket and I listen on an earbud or headset.)

Following Spyder's 'menu directions' doesn't seem to get me what I want... as selecting "where to" a second time seems to require me selecting a new destination. Nor, even then, did I see a way to select "Near My Current Route".

Perhaps it is something not available on the 765T?

Perhaps I'm not going far enough through the process and am assuming the next touch will change my destination to the POI?
  • Spyder63 216 Points
    Have you ever poked around Gary Hayman's GPS site? Take a look there. It might answer all your "duh" moments and there are tutorials.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html#pagepoimenustart
    Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas
  • telemike 5 Points
    Magellan's new 14XX line has Rest Stops as a POI category.........
  • Spyder63 216 Points
    Have you ever poked around Gary Hayman's GPS site? Take a look there. It might answer all your "duh" moments and there are tutorials.

http://home.comcast.net/~ghayman3/garmin.gps/index.html#pagepoimenustart
    Tricks, Tips, Work Arounds, Hints, Secrets and Ideas

To Tim and all the other Moderators - I don't get it! My direct link to Gary Hayman's site was changed to a text link. There is no advertising on his site, he doesn't sell anything, right? I know this is your sandbox, but..... what the hell is the problem?

What is wrong with a direct link to Gary Hayman's site? It fits your criteria for posting links. I know I am supposed to be encouraged to do a text link, but his site has lots of good info for the redundant questions that get posted here and answers are most often easier to find there and a direct link is just easier for everyone.
    Other GPS Informational Sites: Many other sites on the web provide good quality information about GPS systems and technologies. Generally speaking, if they sell advertising please use a text link. If the source is informational and they do not include advertising on the page, a live link is not prohibited, however users are encouraged to use a text link.
  • Tim 1271 Points
    Just kind of a knee jerk reaction to something that has happened over the past few weeks-- no big deal. Someone keeps creating a new account and replying to lots of Nuvi threads with "Visit Gary's site!" even though what they are linking to isn't related to the thread and they keep doing it over and over again.
  • Ozme52 0 Points
    Thanx Spyder.

I hope this will get me past the "duh" hurdle and into the learning curve.
  • on the nuvi 850, where to - points of interest - auto sevices - scroll down to rest area/tourist info.
  • jimbo68 0 Points
    I have noticed on I95 that the I95 route icons (signs) on the nav map coincide with the rest stops. Do not know if all Interstates do the same.
  • billd 0 Points
    Two years on...
    1) I was traveling the NJ Turnpike for the entire trip. At one point of the NJTP, it separates between a cars only section, and cars / trucks / buses. For one reason or another, the GPS told me to go the Cars / Trucks / Buses route, which usually means more traffic as you're stuck behind a truck. Both areas have exits to the same places so it can't be that. On the trip home, I went against the GPS and took the cars only route... after a quick recalculating, it was fine.
    Has there been any fix for this problem? I noticed this during a recent trip out east where the highways tend to separate out trucks to a parallel stream (rare to see that on the west coast.) I dutifully followed the Garmin onto the truck-portion of the NJ Turnpike until I figured out there were identical exits for the car-only lanes. I seem to remember the same deal on the George Washington bridge.
    Ideally there would be a setting to say "I'm a car!" or "No, i'm a truck!"
  • Boyd 1302 Points
    I still see the same thing on my 3790. But really... I'm in a car, and I know I'm in a car, so I take the cars only lane. :)

Aside from that, I'm not all that sure the Nuvi see's enough accuracy to tell which lane you're in, unless they're separated by a median. I was taking the cars only lane on the NJ Turnpike recently (in spite of the Nuvi's directions) and it didn't seem to even realize the difference.

Just the other day the 3790 was showing me completely wrong guidance with a junction view. It showed me having to merge left when I was already in the left most lane. Problem was, it didn't realize I was entering the highway from an overhead ramp. It couldn't discern the difference between the ramp and the other lanes.
  • Of all things, one would think Garmin's info would be rather complete when it comes to Rest Stops or Rest Areas. I find Garmin's listing of Rest stops unacceptably poor. Some rest areas are called "Ahead" others called "Road" and some Rest Areas. Good luck with searching. If you are in the Auto Services Mode, you get FiRESTone and other irrelevant hits.

Why can't Garmin simply create a category called Rest Areas or Rest Stops? I certainly dont see it on my Nuvi 765

As far as POIS go, they're a blessing and an omen at the same time. I hate the fact you have to load all of them all over again everytime you want to add a new one. This is particular a PIA as I like to have distance alerts set up.
  • popej 52 Points
    You don't have to load all POI at once, you can divide them into categories and save each category in separate file. Nuvi supports multiple *.gpi files.