This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom 720 Bluetooth

Tim 1470 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
Let's discuss Bluetooth on the TomTom 720 here.

Comments

• dkoenig 101 Points
    I have seen various ambiguous threads on various sites about Wireless Data via bluetooth with unsupported phones.

If someone has an Idea about how to do the manual settings on the 720 for Windows Mobile devices (mine is the Tmobile Dash) I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Don
  • I hope this is the right place to ask for some more info on the internal mic when using hands-free.

Can anyone confirm whether an external mic will be available (although I can't see where it would connect)? Also, can anyone say what the quality of the internal mic is like when it is working properly?

As explained on the original 720 thread, I think I have a faulty unit so will endeavour to get it replaced. However, one of the main reasons for purchase was the hands-free capability, and so if the mic's not great, this will be a real downer.

Thanks.

In terms of Bluetooth connections, I've managed to pair my SE W850i no problem, but I also have an Orange SPV 3100, which will connect for hands-free, but not for traffic updates (which is not great) - a problem with "DUNN" not being supported (which seems odd for a Windows Mobile device). I'll dig through the other threads and see if I can find any explanation.

For the avoidance of doubt, the internal mic does not work satisfactorily with either phone. I'm not sure I should have to shout at the micorphone from just a few inches from the TT quite so loudly - it will certainly look like I've got a bad case of road rage to passers by :lol:
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I agree with you on both counts.... I don't see a way to connect to an external microphone and I haven't had good results with the internal microphone. I'm going to try to run some tests today with the device in a clean environment with no external noise, while paired with a few different phones to see if I can get any different results.
  • So here's a bit of an embarassment... I spoke to tomtom who are saying that my phone is possibly not compatible. It's a Sony Ericsson W850i (and I've also connected to my Orange SPV M3100, which is a re-branded HTC TyTn). The Sony will do traffic plus etc, but the M3100 won't - but I know that's to do with Windows Mobile 5 not having Bluetooth DUN support or something more technical than I understand...

I have now done some searching and found a phones listing, and the W850i is not listed as compatible with the 520 or 720 (sorry if the link doesn't work - I'm new here!):
    http://www.tomtom.com/phones/?intPhone=214

I have to say that it's not that easy to find the list, buy anyway...

The Tomtom man was very helpful to start with, saying that the problem sounded like a faulty mic (perhaps he's been reading comments here already!), but then changed to saying that the phone's not on the list - my next challenge is to find someone wiht one of the listed phones to try it out. Can Bluetooth work only one way? The unit is "connecting" to the phone and checking for traffic updates (I believe). Aaaarrrgggh! Does anyone else have a Sony phone working ok? There's none on the 720 list, now that I'm looking at it:
    http://www.tomtom.com/phones/?intProduct=20

This is not turning out to be the joyous post-consumer glow that I was expecting from a Tomtom product!!! Although I realise that this is my fault for not searching out the compatability list first - in my naivete I thought Bluetooth was just Bluetooth these days :cry:
  • Tim 1470 Points
    SI thought Bluetooth was just Bluetooth these days :cry:
    Yea, unfortunately that isn't the case. Bluetooth comes in a few different connection types known as profiles. Examples of different profiles are hands free, and serial. Hands free works like those Bluetooth ear pieces. Serial allows data (not voice) exchange with other devices or networks.

So your phone can be compatible for hands free calling, and/or compatible with data services like Tomtom PLUS, or compatible with neither. In the case of data services like TomTom PLUS you also need to have a compatible data plan on your phone service.
  • Firstly - thanks for all the time you put into this.

Back to Bluetooth - focusing on the handsfree/voice side, is compatability likely to be the cause of the poorly/non-functioning microphone?
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I'm really not sure yet as it relates to the 720. Ordinarily I would say yes, because some phone/GPS combinations work well while other combinations result in poor sound quality.

However I'm hearing more reports of bad sound quality with the 720 than I typically have with other devices. Therefore it could be an early indication that something isn't quite right about the 720... Or it could just be that I'm hearing poor results from people at an artificially higher rate than other devices.
  • Of course if they were calling you via the handsfree on the 720 you wouldn't be able to hear them at all, artifically or otherwise :wink:

Again, sincerest thanks for all the time this must take.
  • As another datapoint I have a Samsung i730 (a pda smart phone running WM5). I have no complaints about the mic or speaker when using the 720 as a handfree device. It even works reasonably well in a relatively noisy convertible.

I don't seem to be able to use the i730 for traffic updates, due to DUN not being supported over bluetooth in WM5. I haven't looked into that yet...

edit: Just took a quick look and it seems it's verizon's fault as they disable the bluetooth DUN on their WM5 devices.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    As another datapoint I have a Samsung i730 (a pda smart phone running WM5). I have no complaints about the mic or speaker when using the 720 as a handfree device.
    That is good to hear. What about people on the other end? When I've been using the 720, I can hear people I call, or people that call me just fine. However people on the other end report hearing a loud hissing noise.
  • That's what I meant - the mic and speaker seem to work fine on both ends of a call, as reported by the people I have talked to. I've even placed a test call to my home answering machine and listening to that I don't hear any static.

However, the DUN being disabled over bluetooth issue in WM5 seems to be a problem for those of us wanting to get traffic updates with WM5 phones...

What seems to have occured is that Microsoft made the DUN over bluetooth feature an optional install for cell phone carriers in Windows Mobile 5 (version AKU3 to be specific) because they developed a new way of doing things called Internet Connection Sharing (ICS.) Their reasoning was that they considered DUN over bluetooth as a legacy technology.

What this means for us end users is that anyone with a WM5 phone with the latest version of the operating system will not be able to use it with their tomtom for traffic updates unless their cell phone carrier has elected to add in the optional DUN support. It has of course been left out by most carriers (such as verizon, att, etc.) who have never been a fan of the technology for reasons I won't get into here.

Microsoft seems to have decided this was a mistake and has changed their mind on this issue. They are now bundling the DUN over bluetooth capability on the WM6 operating system. They were willing to release a patch update to WM5 users to add it back in there as well, but were prevented from doing so by the cell carriers.

To solve this issue, I've noticed that Garmin has recently released a firmware update for their devices to support ICS. Any idea if tomtom is looking into doing something similar?
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Any idea if tomtom is looking into doing something similar?
    I haven't heard.
  • A glimmer of hope for me... your i730 isn't on the tomtom compatible list (but lots of Samsungs are).

I'm just hoping that they've not tested any Sony Ericssons yet... seems odd that no SE phone is compatible - unless of course they all use a version of Bluetooth that won't play.

Looks like I'll might up on e-bay to get a phone just for the car, and messing around with sim cards, which doesn't seem much like progress!
  • kgman 0 Points
    I was able to get the weather on the TomTom 720 using my Verizon Wireless LG enV

my username was [phone number]@vzw.com
    the password I used was vzw
    the phone number to dial is #777

Of course, this could be because I hacked my phone into allowing it to be used as a DUN device using instructions I found on howardforums.com

I cannot get it to download my phonebook from my enV.
  • Anyone able to get the 720 working with a Blackberry 8830 world edition phone? specifically on the TELUS network? I have been able to sync it, but have no idea how to set up the bluetooth wireless settings for the data traffic.
  • So... now I've borrowed a Nokia E61 that is on the compatible list and lo and behold - exactly the same as the SE w850i. Neither can be heard - it sounds like lots of static. rather than nothing coming in from the TT. I didn't get in from work until late yesterday, so I was testing this indoors and quietly (so as not to wake the children by screaming at the sat nav), but I think that proves to me at least it's a faulty unit.

I'll get back on to tomtom and hope they'll sort quickly. I'll also have a look at getting Bluetooth DUN back on my WM5 PDA.
  • Got through to TT customer service yesterday to explain that I had tried an officially compatible phone (the E61), but with exactly the same results as the SE W850i. Oddly, the person on the phone said both should be compatible anyway...

I was told to do a "soft reset" and call them back after checking whether that fixed the problem.

Of course not - still the same static/interference - so will call back this morning for the next instalment.
  • Just for info, Tomtom seem to have conceded that there is a fault on the mic and I have reserved a replacement to pick up early next week.

Apart from the mic, the unit is great - took me round a massive hold up last night on the M6 on my drive back up from London, and also did the same on the way down the evening before. All good stuff! So the data connection is working fine, just not the mic... so fingers crossed.

Thanks for all the help and support.
  • moose 0 Points
    Hi tim, after trying 6 new tomtom go 720's I found one at bestbuy that had a good working mike and now all people I call can hear me. I use a motorola v3 to connect to the tomtom. 1 of out 6 worked. The FM works, but you have to turn the stereo up a bit to hear it well. Thanks for your review. Love this new 720.
  • If you use a wired connection from the 720 to your car's sound system, will handsfree Bluetooth phone call audio be routed through that connection, or will it only go through the 720's speaker?

It's already been more-or-less established that the FM transmitter will not work like this.

Thanks!
  • I like what I have heard so far about the 720, but it would make my buying decision a lot easier if I knew if my Nextel Blackberry 7100i would work for Bluetooth. Anyone have any experience with this?
  • Hi tim, after trying 6 new tomtom go 720's I found one at bestbuy that had a good working mike and now all people I call can hear me.
    Makes me wonder if perhaps the current lack of TomTom 720s is because of some sort of microphone retrofit.
  • I have reports from the person I am calling that they hear buzzing and loud static. I wonder if Ill have better luck if I return the unit for a new one.
  • Hi tim, after trying 6 new tomtom go 720's I found one at bestbuy that had a good working mike and now all people I call can hear me.
    Could you go into some more detail as to how you were able to determine that there was a problem with the microphones in the 5 units and how you went about getting it resolved? Did you take the TomToms back to Best Buy or work through TomTom?

Can you describe how the good unit sounds differently than the bad ones?
  • Well Im considering returning the 720 now, also the lack of being able to have the call routed through the speaker irritates me.

I wonder if I should get another 720 and hope for a better mic, or just get a Garmin 660.
  • moose 0 Points
    Jeeplover, I first found a good one that was on display by connecting my razr v3 to the display and calling several people. I started purchasing one by one and testing them in the store by connecting my razr v3. I the other party could not hear me without the static etc... then I would immediately exchange it. I kept doing this until I was able to find one that everyone I called could hear me clearly. I now have had this unit for a few weeks and have not had a complaint from anyone I have called. When you connect to a bad one, your calling party will not hear you if you are standing about 3 feet from the unit. They will complain about static even if you put your mouth right next to the microphone. I really love the features on this tomtom 720, but let me list a few of the problems I have had with this unit.
    1. When you are using the FM transmitter, all the voice commands come through the vehicle speaker clearly (volume turned up above normal), but the Mobile phone still uses the internal speaker.
    2. Difficult to connect to home computer. A new tomtom Home software update from version 1.6 to version 2.0 caused an error everytime when trying to connect to my home computer and closed the Home program. I called Tomtom support and they told me they had problem with the program and to uninstall 2.0 and reinstall version 1.6 After doing that I have had nothing but problems trying to connect my 720 with my computer. It will let me view the drive, backup, and transfer files, but will not connect the visual screen allowing me to change preferences while in the dock.
    3. Audio books purchased from audible.com will not work with the 720. Audiobooks use a .aa file. The 720 does not have the capablility to read these files. The support person told me the 910 reads audiobooks, but the 720 does'nt even though it's on their menu and they have a few sample files. Somehow they have converted the audio file to work. No support yet on the tomtom website for that.
    4. In the PDF manual, it states that you can use voice commands to enter an address to navigate to. That function is not working and not in the menu to select.
    Basically, The support for the new TomTom 720 is not there and the corrections for problems noted have not been fixed at this time. The support staff do not seem to know enough about what to do to correct problems and can only answer that Tomtom is working on the problem. A great unit if they could correct all these deficiencies and post them on their support website. I hope this helps you in some way.
    I still love this unit. Worked great on a 1 week drive up the California coast into Oregon and back. Would love to see a tire repair POI. I got 3 flat tires on a new car in 4 days driving through Oregon. 2 tires replaced and one Patched. Had a difficult time searching for tire centers on the Tomtom.
  • Moose, you need to delete the Bluetooth phone from your 720 to be able to control it through Home 2.0. This is a known problem to which TomTom is working on a solution.
  • Amyh24 0 Points
    I was all set to buy the 910 but the 720 is looking good because my husband and I do alot of texting in the car. I have a Verizon Samsung SCH-A950. I called TT and he sadi that even if my phone is not on the list I should be able to use the hands free option. My question is what are the chances of having the TT read me my text messages.

I am so torn between the 910 and 720.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I'm not an expert in SMS/phone carriers, but here is my best guess. I believe on many GSM based phones the SMS messages are stored on the SIM card so that if you switch phones your text message history (and other things like your address book) will transfer with you to the next phone.

I believe that tomTom is reading the SMS messages from the SIM card itself. Therefore I would guess (but again, this isn't my area of expertise) that the vast majority of phones that TomTom devices can read text messages from are GSM based phones. So in the USA that would mean Verizon and T-Mobile based phones.

I suspect that there are too many different ways manufacturers store text messages on other phones to make it easy for TomTom to figure out how to retrieve them over Bluetooth.

So my best guess is that it isn't likely your Verizon based phone would support reading text messages from the TT. Out of all the phones I've tested recently, while many of them worked for hands free calling, none of them have worked for text messaging. So I would say your chances are not great.
  • Amyh24 0 Points
    Tim,
    If you were me what one would you go with. Knowing I can not get my text messages is leaning me towards the 910 but I do like the slim design of the 720. My only requirements are text to speech and bluetooth.

I am not sure if my husband will use it for an MP3 player but he might. I do not want to rule that out.

Thank you in advance for all of your help. After all of this I will be Po'd if I can not make calls from the TT.... lol
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Knowing I can not get my text messages is leaning me towards the 910
    My guesses pertained to both TT devices, not just the 720. Sorry if that wasn't clear.
  • Amyh24 0 Points
    Sorry that was my mistake. I understood that both do not have the txt abilities. That was the reason I was leaning to the 720 over 910, but that is a mute point now. Now to decide between the two.
  • andy957 0 Points
    I just bought a 720 but haven't removed the shrink-wrap yet. Waiting to find out if it is compatible for bluetooth dialing and text message reading with my two phones:

Samsung m610
    Sony Ericsson z710i

I'm in Canada, the Samsung is on Bell Mobility (CDMA) and the SE is on Fido (GSM). Anyone can comment?
  • Does anyone else have a Sony phone working ok? There's none on the 720 list, now that I'm looking at it:
    http://www.tomtom.com/phones/?intProduct=20
    Well, the Sony Ericsson that I'm using here in Canada on a Fido network works BEAUTIFULLY! It's the z710i (not sure what the equivalent model would be in the UK). Paired flawlessly, setup a breeze, downloaded address book 100% accurately, dialed through speaker, loud and clear.

HOWEVER, my Samsung m610 (a newer phone, and on the CDMA Bell Canada network) refuses to pair. I plan on investigating this because it's my main cell phone (I have 2), but otherwise I'm thrilled with the z710i pairing.
  • J
    4. In the PDF manual, it states that you can use voice commands to enter an address to navigate to. That function is not working and not in the menu to select.
    Basically, The support for the new TomTom 720 is not there and the corrections for problems noted have not been fixed at this time. The support staff do not seem to know enough about what to do to correct problems and can only answer that Tomtom is working on the problem.
    I just picked up a Tom Tom Go 720 last night, had been running Tom Tom on my Treo 650.

I was looking for this feature as well, and couldn't find any way to access it. I tried to read the manual, but when I click on the link from Tom Tom Home 2.0 it brings me to a pdf file which says that its unavailable and gives me a phone number for customer support.

Any idea when an update will be available with this feature? It was one of the things I upgraded for.

Also it took me FOREVER to finally get my AT&T Treo to pair with the Go 720 for voice calling. It seems to work okay, but today when I got a call, the Go720 never showed that a call was coming in, and it doesn't always seem to pair up with the phone when I get in the car. :( I'd consider trying a RAZR v3 instead if that paired reliably and got good reception.I could pick one up for like $20, but I don't want to spend any more than that.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    Brett, I'm not sure which piece of functionality you are asking about. This thread is about Bluetooth and most of your post was about Bluetooth, but the part you quoted was about voice recognition.

TomTom said in their initial press release that voice recognition would not be available on the 720 in North America and that it would only be available in a couple of European countries. Their USA website reflects this as well, but their European pages do mention the feature. The manual talks about it which is unfortunate.

• Also it took me FOREVER to finally get my AT&T Treo to pair with the Go 720 for voice calling. It seems to work okay, but today when I got a call, the Go720 never showed that a call was coming in, and it doesn't always seem to pair up with the phone when I get in the car. :( I'd consider trying a RAZR v3 instead if that paired reliably and got good reception.I could pick one up for like $20, but I don't want to spend any more than that.
    According to the supported phones matrix on the TomTom website for the 720, the Treo 650 ONLY supports TomTom Plus, and NOT hands-free calling, send/receive SMS or importing contacts. The matrix is at http://www.tomtom.com/products/features.php?ID=383&Category=0&Lid=4

I'm having trouble getting all 3 of my phones (2 different carriers, 2 different brand names, 2 different technologies [CDMA and GSM]) to pair/work. I think bluetooth is still just not all that reliable a technology, but that's my opinion.
  • Just wanted to post that the 720 works with my wife's Motorola RAZR V3c.

However, she did have to use the method listed below that I found on TomTom's support site. Not sure yet if she'll have to do this each and every time, but it does work, and there were no sound quality issues on either end.
    Question
    Why can’t I bond/pair my TomTom device with my Motorola mobile phone?
    Answer

Most Motorola mobile phones can only remain discoverable by other Bluetooth devices for a period of 60 seconds. Occasionally this period is too short to complete the pairing process with a TomTom device.

To overcome this do the following:

1. On the phone, select: Menu > Settings > Connection > Bluetooth Link > Setup > Find Me

2. On your TomTom device do one of the following:
    * ONE family, GO, GO300
    From the main menu tap Connect to phone.
    * GO family, RIDER family
    From the main menu tap Mobile phone > Connect to your phone > Yes

The display on the TomTom device now shows your mobile phone

3. On the phone, repeat: Menu > Settings > Connection > Bluetooth Link > Setup > Find Me

4. Immediately select your phone on the TomTom device.
    The TomTom device now initiates the bonding.
  • Bought a 720 from Bestbuy in Canada.
    Both hands-free calling (with either my V3 or V551) and AUX output (for mp3) have serious Buzzing.
    For hands-free calling .... it is very bad, the other party only hear buzzing noise ..... if I put the mic close to my mouth, then they will be able to hear a bit of what I am saying ...but totally not acceptable.
    AUX output also have Buzzing noise ... but I found that it only happens when the charger is connected.

I call Tom Tom, and the CSR seems to know exactly what I was talking about ... and claimly suggest me to take the product back to Bestbuy for an exchange.

Just did the exchange at Bestbuy with another brand new unit.
    Same problem !!! In fact, this one is even worst then the last one.
    The 2nd one have poor sat reception, and the touch screen is not as sensitive as the 1st one. I have to apply a lot of presure on each stroke.

I am very surprise .... how can a major player in the GPS market like TomTom have such a poor QA on their product.

I am even more surpised to found some of the posting in this forum that another customer have to exchange 6 times before he/she can found a good one without the buzzing problem.

I can understand that a faulty product might end up in he market once in a while .... but five in a row with the same problem?

I really like the advertised functions of this GPS, but they have to work as advertised. I am not sure if I should just return the product and stay away from any Tom Tom product from now on.

Nice Job "Tom Tom" ... yon did a good job in scaring customer away.
    Well, or maybe you did a good job in saving money on QC ??
    you do have customer spending $500 to help you do the QC in the retail store and have succesfully found a good unit (after five faulty unit).

Anyway, anyone know if Tom Tom have any plan to fix this somehow?
    I mean, even if I am ready to do 6 exchanges in a row to found a unit without the buzzing problem .... I am pretty sure it has the same component/design ..... so ... will it start having the buzzing after a while.

So many faulty unit makes me think there is something foundatmentally wrong with this model.

Any suggestion?
  • Hi tim, after trying 6 new tomtom go 720's I found one at bestbuy that had a good working mike and now all people I call can hear me. I use a motorola v3 to connect to the tomtom. 1 of out 6 worked. The FM works, but you have to turn the stereo up a bit to hear it well. Thanks for your review. Love this new 720.
    Hi,

I just wanted to say that your post helped me a lot. I have the V3 cell phone in the US and this is my second TT 720. The Mic still seems not to work correctly. This confirms that I should try returning the unit again.

Did you have any problems pairing your phone to the TT. I seem to not be able to get the 720 to see the phone and then when I take the unit to a AT&T store it works for them. The last time they said the phone locked up and after taking the battery out it connected.

John
  • I've seen conflicting reports on this and was hoping one of you could help me clear it up: I want to know if the bluetooth on the 720 will work ONLY for use as a hands-free device with a sprint Blackberry 8703e. I don't care about text messages or traffic or whatnot, just hands free calling.

Anybody know?
  • I have a verizon samsung u740 phone and I can get the TT720 to recognize it, but in the next step - where the 720 searches for phone features, the 720 encounters an error every time it reaches about 5-10% completed... what features on the phone is it exactly looking for?

is this the standard problem everyone seems to encounter when trying a phone that is not compatible? I followed the tomtom advice of putting the phone in discovery mode after each step since it is only on for a minute, but there's no difference.

also, I can get my phone to find the 720, but everytime i try to pair it, after entering the 0000 password, it says pairing failed.

what am I doing wrong? Im a bit confused as to which steps to do in what order, between the phone and the 720... pair first, search phone features first... ???

should i bring both devices to my buddies at the verizon store or will they be clueless too?

or is this simply an indicator that my VW phone's bluetooth will never work with a tomtom?! - what is different about verizon and sprint that tomtom is not compatible with - as compared to att and t-mobile?

- confused because someone said they got their VW envy phone to work with weather by hacking into it - which I have tried but am confused on as well!

I hope someone can give me some hope... I LOVE the 720, and wish bluetooth would work (although I most likely will not be returning it just because of this, as I have with other devices)!

thanks all!
  • I think thats probably the way it is and your phone/carrier combo is not compatible.
  • Tim 1470 Points
    what features on the phone is it exactly looking for?
    It is checking for things like a Bluetooth hands free profile, car kit profile, dial-up networking profile, and if it supports a standardized address book, and standardized SMS storage.

The 720 compatibility list doesn't show the samsung u740, so it either is known to not work or (more likely) hasn't been tested.

Many, but not all, VZW phones are compatible with hands free calling on the 720 based on user reports. However I don't recall anyone being able to get data services (traffic, weather, etc) to work with the 720. However I have heard reports of people getting it to work with other models and there are some phone models from VZW that are supported to work with the 510/910 TT devices for the data services.

I've seen what you describe a couple of times with different VZW phones, and some of them I was able (after several frustrating hours of trial and error) to get them to pair. What will sometimes work is if you try to initiate pairing from both devices at the same time. For example in the instructions you are always having the TT device looking for the phone. You can also have the phone look for the TT device (which won't help by itself) however I've found that by setting both to look for each other at almost the same time that sometimes they communicate better.

But in the end it might just be that your phone isn't compatible.

• I've seen what you describe a couple of times with different VZW phones, and some of them I was able (after several frustrating hours of trial and error) to get them to pair. What will sometimes work is if you try to initiate pairing from both devices at the same time. For example in the instructions you are always having the TT device looking for the phone. You can also have the phone look for the TT device (which won't help by itself) however I've found that by setting both to look for each other at almost the same time that sometimes they communicate better.
    Thanks tim, but my problems occur while the TT searches the phone's features(after it correctly searched for and found my phone) and while I try to pair the two from the phone. I am able to get both devices to recognize each other, but I cannot get past 10% of the phone feature check on the TT and I cannot get the two to pair from the phone... nothing works past that on either device. Setting both to look for each other at the same time makes no difference either (especially considering the very short one minute time frame of discoverability on the phone). The same error message on the TT appears to matter what I do, and the same 'pairing failed' msg on the phone appears

- when you said you got some VW phones to work after hours of trial and error, what different ways did you try? anything other than having them simultaneously searching happen to work? I feel that I'm trying everything...

it's as if step one on both devices works fine, but step two is where they fail: i'm repeatedly getting msg on TT that there was an error checking phone features, and error on phone saying unable to pair with TT720

each device can find the other (step 1), i guess pairing is the problem (step 2) no matter which device is trying

going to give it a rest until tonight, but anyone's input would be GREATLY appreciated...

Thanks!
  • Tim 1470 Points
    - when you said you got some VW phones to work after hours of trial and error, what different ways did you try?
    The process I described above. But it took in some cases hours of trial and error to get the timing just right where they would both click. Yes, this was after the devices found themselves and during the time it was trying to identify the phone features.

• ... my problems occur while the TT searches the phone's features(after it correctly searched for and found my phone) and while I try to pair the two from the phone. I am able to get both devices to recognize each other, but I cannot get past 10% of the phone feature check on the TT and I cannot get the two to pair from the phone... nothing works past that on either device.

I'm having exactly the same problem with exactly the same phone as RAH823. I'm guessing the bluetooth profiles are not compatible. If anyone ever solves this with the TomTom 720 and the Samsung u740, please say how you did it. Thanks!
  • lol I'm not alone! It seems that Tim has solved the problem, just not necessarily with our phone.

I may be willing to sit and try over and over again this weekend, but I just wanna make sure - once I get everything connected, I am good to go for the eternity of the phone and the 720 right? It's not like you have to do this trial and error pairing for hours each time you want to use bluetooth on your phone - do you? b/c if that's the case i'm not even going to bother... So how long does that connection last, and what will break the pair after it is all said and done (as long as none of the bluetooth options on either device were touched)?

Thanks again for your help!
  • Let me know if that works. I don't have much faith in Verizon making this possible. They tend to cripple the capabilities of all their bluetooth phones.