This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom 720 Bluetooth

2»

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Thanks for your feedback.

I'm monitoring a couple of TomTom forums so am not sure where I saw it but apparently it's a big problem with TomTom 720 units and the quality of handsfree sound. Best Buy has been taking back unit after unit by users till the user found a unit that worked properly. It seems the version number of the software installed (or downloaded) for the TomTom unit may be an indicator as to whether the specific unit will work properly weith the hands free.

Since the v551 isn't shown as supported, I guess at this point I'll give this feature a pass. Too bad.
  • I'm monitoring a couple of TomTom forums so am not sure where I saw it but apparently it's a big problem with TomTom 720 units and the quality of handsfree sound. Best Buy has been taking back unit after unit by users till the user found a unit that worked properly. It seems the version number of the software installed (or downloaded) for the TomTom unit may be an indicator as to whether the specific unit will work properly with the hands free.
    This almost makes the sound problem seem like a software problem. But one wonders if it is fixed by updating the software? Or has TomTom made some sort of physical modification to newer units that is merely identified by the presence of the updated software?
  • dhn 336 Points
    Goto this link for discussion about the problem:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=3187

(I apologize if providing links to another site's forum is a no-no here; I'm new here. Just trying to assist other posters here)
  • zeus 0 Points
    Hi folks, a little trick exists for the Samsung XV6700 (WM5) device. It might work for other phones too. My phone is on the Verizon network.

(FYI - I don't have a TomTom 720 yet, so I can't test this...but I figured I would throw this out and see if it helps any of you)

With Verizon, they turn this ability off by default, so you’ll need to enable it the first time.
    1. Go to the PHONE application (hit the green phone button on the XV6700)
    2. Enter ##3328873 (or ##feature) and press “TALK” (or Send)
    3. Enter six zeros for the code (000000)
    4. Now Enable the BT DUN
    5. Tap OK several times and OK to soft reset your device
    6. Once restarted, see if it works with your TomTom.

Good luck!
  • Goto this link for discussion about the problem:

http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=3187

(I apologize if providing links to another site's forum is a no-no here; I'm new here. Just trying to assist other posters here)
    Wow, what an interesting (and Long) series of responses. Since the TT support guy said it was OK to post his reply, I thought I would include it here to save time.

Just got another respond from TomTom Support (aftering complaining that their theory didn't explain why some unit works and some don't (even they are on the same SW version). Sounds like the differences is between (preinstalled 7.01 verus upgrade from TomTom Home) .... but I think some people are saying that their unit are working fine after upgrading to 7.01 using TomTom Home?! I guess TomTom still don't know what is the root cause of the problem.

Here is the respond from TomTom .....

It seems that units that have application 7.01 preinstalled are fine, but units that are upgraded from 7.00 to 7.01 have the problem. I'm really not sure, the higher ups barely give us enough information to do our job. That being said, we of course have no idea when software updates are released, we usually don't find out until the day after.

I said before what I was told to say, but this is what I actually think. When they did the test to declare that this was a software issue, they took a GO 720 with v7.00 that worked fine with hands-free. Then they updated to 7.01 and had the problem, then downgraded to 7.00 and the problem persisted. Because of this they believe that application 7.01 causes the problem. However, many customers claim that units with the part number 8M00.780.7.010 have no problem. These are units that have 7.01 preinstalled, they never had 7.00 installed on them. So, it must be updating from 7.00 to 7.01 that causes the problem.

If you can find a 8M00.780.7.010 unit, get it. If you get a normal unit, do not upgrade it to 7.01. All that the update does is add brand icons for some POIs.

Sorry for the ramble about my theory, but feel free to post it on one of those forums, I never have time to visit them.

With Best Regards,

The TomTom Customer Support Team
  • Thanks for the info. I have not tried the bluetooth yet since I don't currently have a BT phone. However, I probably will within the next three months. So, how do I determine if my unit is part number 8M00.780.7.010?

Wait my box says part number 8M00.780, no .010 at the end. I assume, that means mine might not be one of the suspected faulty units. Should feel comfortable with that assumption for now?
  • Thanks for the info. I have not tried the bluetooth yet since I don't currently have a BT phone. However, I probably will within the next three months. So, how do I determine if my unit is part number 8M00.780.7.010?

Wait my box says part number 8M00.780, no .010 at the end. I assume, that means mine might not be one of the suspected faulty units. Should feel comfortable with that assumption for now?
    On the contrary, I think that means that you do not have the latest version. But that isn't necessarially bad. The word seems to be to try it out and if it works for you, DO NOT upgrade to the latest software upgrade or you are asking for trouble because going back does not solve any problems created by upgrading.

But I realize this sort of leaves you in a lurch so if possible just return it for a new one with the updated part number or else how are you ever going to get the latest software?

Click on this link if you want the whole story http://tomtomforums.com/showthread.php?t=3187
  • dhn 336 Points
    Maybe this can help, Andy (from another forum):

------

The information from the bottom of the box is as follows:

SN: M64337Bxxxxxx(x is additional irrelevant numbers I believe)
    8M00.780.7.01 (My other box did not have the .7.01 on it.)

The interesting aside is that the 7.01 appears to be unique and a later version of the 720, which may likely be the success factor in why it works now.

The version of the software is the 7.010 version that a few people have mentioned. In addition, mine was shipped with a "Guam" map, which was different from the version I got before.

My conclusion is as follows:

If you can, try and get a unit that has the 7.01 as part of the number below the serial number given my success with the unit. Meanwhile, anyone who has a non-functioning or a functioning one, please report the information I have, so we can see if there is a correlation to my experience.

-------

Also, one of the choices in TT's menu is System Information. Should find the version info there.

As I understand it, if the user has version 7.00 installed, do NOT upgrade to 7.01. Apparently, the upgrade only adds icons for a few more poi's and destroys the sound quality for the call receiver for hands-free. Going back to 7.00 does NOT fix the problem. BUT, if you get a unit **new** and the box does show the 7.010 installed, then you are ok.

Clear as mud, eh?

• Also, one of the choices in TT's menu is System Information. Should find the version info there.

As I understand it, if the user has version 7.00 installed, do NOT upgrade to 7.01. Apparently, the upgrade only adds icons for a few more poi's and destroys the sound quality for the call receiver for hands-free. Going back to 7.00 does NOT fix the problem. BUT, if you get a unit **new** and the box does show the 7.010 installed, then you are ok.

Clear as mud, eh?
    I cannot find a menu item called System Information, I've looked through preferences and the top level icons. Any more info on where it is located?

Mine doesn't have the 7.01 on the version # but it's working great anyway.
  • Touch on the sat signal bars.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Just a housekeeping note that the topic Review of my first road trip with the 720 transformed into a discussion about Bluetooth hands free calling issues on the 720. Therefore for clarity, I split the Bluetooth discussion happening in the road trip thread into the existing thread on Bluetooth issues on the 720. So if you can't find where your post went, there is the clue. Thanks to JeepLover for suggesting the changes for further clarity. Back to regularly scheduled chat. :)
  • mmn 0 Points
    I don't see the AT&T Motorola KRZR on TomTom's list of compatible bluetooth phones. Does it mean it is not compatible, or that it wasn't tested yet? Anybody here had any experiences (good or bad) with that phone and TT720?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Does it mean it is not compatible, or that it wasn't tested yet?
    It could mean either, more likely it means it hasn't been tested.
  • Does anyone have information on pairing a Treo 650 (Sprint) with the TOMTOM 720? I am a new user on the 720 and have been unable to pair them.

• Tim 1480 Points
    Are you getting any kind of error message?
  • As the phone begins to pair it suddenly stops with a message that my phone is missing a necessary component. I found out on the website that my sprint treo is not compatible. Bummer since the sales people at Best Buy said, several times, that it was...I should know better they never know what the heck they are talking about there. It should be called, Take Your Best Guess Buy.

I am now hoping for maybe third party add on that would make my phone compatible.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Yes, retail salespeople are notorious for saying "Bluetooth is Bluetooth... so long as you have a Bluetooth phone it will work". Which of course as you now know isn't even close.
  • zeus 0 Points
    Hello gang.

My 720 finally came and I was successfull at getting ALL plus services working. It's not entirly simple, and you will have to disable your standard 'data' services (example: your phones data connection that your exchange data would normally travel across) in order to get all the plus services working. Bluetooth will work without disabling the data services and you can use your 720 to make calls just fine.

For full plus services....
    Here's how you do it...(of course, you'll want to get the bluetooth connection setup first and this forum does provide enough information to get that working.)

Now, just like my previous post....
    The One-Time Setup on the Phone to Enable Data Pass-through
    This is to allow the phone to accept data/modem connections from a computer. With Verizon, they turn this ability off by default, so you’ll need to enable it the first time.
    1. Go to the PHONE application (hit the green phone button on the XV6700)
    2. Enter ##3328873 (or ##feature) and press “TALK” (or Send)
    3. Enter six zeros for the code (000000)
    4. Now Enable both the BT DUN and Wmodem
    5. Tap OK several times and OK to soft reset your device
    6. Once restarted, look for wmodem in the \windows folder on the device. If you can’t find it be sure in File Explorer to select “show all files”.

Now, go to setup plus services....
    You'll need to do it manually. Use the following settings.
    Username is XXXXXXXXXX@vzw3g.com, password is vzw (X’s are your wireless phone number), Phone number is #777

Before you finish....you must first:
    Short list for connecting each time you want to use it (Bluetooth)
    1. Disable ActiveSync on the phone (or stop data connection)
    2. If using Bluetooth, enable Bluetooth on the phone
    3. Run Wmodem (found in the file explorer under the windows folder) and click Start for Bluetooth
    4. Connect the Dial-Up Networking profile you created on the TomTom 720

Your TomTom will now connect to your phone via bluetooth and make a data connection to Verizon's network. Thus, connecting to the plus services.

NOTE: Each time you want to use the TomTom Plus services, you'll need to do the last 1,2,3 steps.

Enjoy!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Thanks for sharing that!
  • I was also curious about what phone would be compatible with a TT and
    did some investigating.
    If i understand this correctly Bluetooth Uses a few different ways to communicate with compatible devices.
    One is GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) which as i understand the TT
    Units use. So any Bluetooth using gprs should work with TT.
    I also understand that Verizon does not use GPRS and i think that AT&T and T Mobile do.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Sort of... The TomTom devices don't use GPRS. They communicate via Bluetooth to the phone. Then your phone communicates via GPRS to essentially connect your phone to the Internet. Your phone then uses the GPRS connection to talk to TomTom's servers, gets the requested information over GPRS, then your phone sends that information back to your TomTom via Bluetooth.

There are other protocols besides GPRS that phones can use to make those data/internet connections, typically based on the carrier. Verizon for example doesn't use GPRS, however there are a few TomTom devices that will work with a few Verizon phones to get data services. So GPRS isn't the only method of achieving it.

So your phone might use GPRS (or another service) to talk back and forth with the internet, and then use Bluetooth to talk back and forth with your GPS, acting as the traffic cop in between.
  • zeus...that was a great post. So organized and thorough!
  • Thanks for the clarification Tim.
    I read some on the topic, but the
    more I read the more i became confused.
    I don't know how You guys keep up with
    the constantly changing Technology.
    I'm just glad there are Forums like this that
    People like me can go to for Info.
    Thanks
  • The bluetooth pairing between TomTom GO 720 and Sprint Treo 700p DOES NOT work. I tried at BestBuy on a floor sample, but it didn't work..
    I wanted to test on a TomTom GO 920T, but they didn't have one open for demo.

We went to CircuitCity and they had one on display. Treo 700p pairs with TomTom 920T. Hands free calling works. Data connection to TomTom PLUS works. Please see my other posts for more info.

I hope this saves someone some time and stress. ;)

DennisMisc
  • At BestBuy the other day i was trying to get my LG Shine to connect to the display model. A couple times I did get the 720 to show up in the pairing list on the phone - but never paired. My phone never showed up on the TT720.

Just curious - I thought Bluetooth was a standard communication protocol - so how come you can't get handsfree from any bluetooth cell phone?

I don't really want the road updates - just the handsfree phone. Is there any chance of getting that to work??
  • :?:

But my real question is can I get something like a Nuvi 260 but with bluetooth?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    TomTom devices work with many Verizon phones for hands free calling. It only rarely works with Verizon phones for the TomTom PLUS (data) services.
  • i have read all the comments on 720 and want to know if i should buy this for my hubby for christmas. We live in Ireland i was going to buy the garmin 250w but for all the xtras on the 720 especially the hands free which we need i taught the 720 was a beter deal, but after reading the comments i dont know what to do, i do have a compatible phone according to list...what to do can someone help please.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    If your phone is listed as compatible I see no reason not to go for it.
  • Just wanted to post this.

I got my 720 last week and have been slowly going though the features. I am able to successfully pair and make hands free calls. My cell phone is the Motorola Maxx VE with service from Verizon.

Doublestuff
  • just an fyi for all our verizon users - I ditched my samsung u740 and got the new samsung i760 (pda running wm6), and hands free worked after 1 try!!!

sooo, add the samsung i760 for verizon to the hands free compatibility list :lol:

hope this helps a prospective buyer, because now I LOVE my 720 even more than before, if that was possible
  • Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that I got my Verizon XV-6800 WM 6 phone to work in case anyone else has the same phone. It is not on the supported list. It took about five tries. I think it was a timing issue between the devices. Sound quality is pretty good with no hissing or static. I have the Go 720, 7.01 model.
  • Anyone know if Verizon Blackberry's (I have the 8830 Worldphone) will work with the Bluetooth and what features will work? (Address book? Caller ID? Hands free dialing?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Blackberry's seem to have the most issues with everyone's bluetooth setup
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The 8100 works with hands free calling, but not for much else... if that is any indication.
  • The 8100 works with hands free calling, but not for much else... if that is any indication.
    With my Bluetooth earpiece I press a button and my Blackberry says 'Say a Command'. I then can use it as if I am speaking into the phone.

Is this what hands free means? And to answer a call I press the same button. Is that how you answer a call?

Also, my wife has a Treo 755 (also with Verizon). It is actually more important what the compatibility is with her phone as the TomTom will usually be in her car.
  • PTJD 0 Points
    The 8100 works with hands free calling, but not for much else... if that is any indication.

With my Bluetooth earpiece I press a button and my Blackberry says 'Say a Command'. I then can use it as if I am speaking into the phone.

Is this what hands free means? And to answer a call I press the same button. Is that how you answer a call?

??? You are saying you push the button on your bluetooth headphone?
    Or the button on the 720?
  • Yes, a button on the earpiece. It's just a way to begin or end a call. I am asking how does it work with the GPS.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I don't recall announcing this feature in this (very much related) thread, so here goes... We are in the process of trying to build a list of user submitted Bluetooth compatibility results. If you have successfully, or unsuccessfully used a particular phone with a particular GPS you can share your findings with other users over here. Thanks!
  • early in this thread people asked if you can connect a external mic for the tt 720 but thought they could not.

Yes you can, they plug in to the slot next to the power slot and works great.
  • gcadman 0 Points
    Where do we plug this in to the headphone Jack ?

and where do we buy it ?
  • faq 0 Points
    I have successfully paired the BB 8320 for hands free and data even though it was not listed as compatible. I used the BB 8310 which was listed and selected Cingular Media Net.

The BB 8320 is identical to the BB 8310 without GPS.
  • Leopo 0 Points
    And I had no luck pairing the 8310 with a TomTom go 720 for data..