This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

NuviPhone screenshots

Boyd 1985 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Just found this on another site:

http://www.electronista.com/articles/08/12/31/garmin.nuvifone.screens/

Wow, that calendar screen looks a LOT like my iPhone...

Comments

• Navigation screen doesn't use the new UI (next turn arrow etc.).
  • Navigation screen doesn't use the new UI (next turn arrow etc.).
    Interesting, and odd. I use the Garmin Mobile software application that I downloaded to my Blackberry Storm, and it has worked perectly. It is really outstanding. It has the updated interface, a Google Local search, weather, etc, and it routes identically to my 765T.

It would indeed be odd if one could simply select another phone and download Garmin software that would be better than Garmin's phone :lol:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It is hard to say how old those screenshots are though regarding the new vs old interface -- and much could change by the time they go out the door "before the end of the first half of the year".
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Looks like quite a bit has changed. Garmin/ASUS have announced the nüvifone M20, a Smartphone with a Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional operating system. It will be a dual-band 3.5G/tri-band GSM phone with Wi-Fi connectivity and Bluetooth. Uses a 2.8 inch display with VGA (640x480) resolution. The originally planned nüvifone, now called the G60, has a 3.55 inch display, 3.5G and Wi-Fi connectivity, a built-in accelerometer and is probably using the Linux OS.

According to the press release the "Navigation functions are linked to frequently used applications such as calendar, contacts, email, internet applications and more". Interesting also is that the maps are pre-loaded, and they look as tho they will ship with an active mounting cradle, similar to the 7xx nuvi series. Obvious that it's being positioned as a serious navigation device. It looks to me that this may be Garmin's answer to the TomTom "live" series, offering all the currently planned TT features that I've seen and much more. With the included mounting cradle, it will operate and mount much as the current nuvi line, with numerous added "live" features from social networking and live traffic to common gas price and weather services.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Tim, you probably received some device pics you can drop in here didn't you?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Tim, you probably received some device pics you can drop in here didn't you?
    Getting Garmin to send me press releases has proved to be a bit more of a challenge than you would think. I actually just got them a little bit ago from a cellphone blogger friend of mine.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    They obviously don't realize how influential you are. 8)
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'd hoping it is some sort of technical issue.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    If these do what they are supposed to, they look to be the first serious challenge to a stand-alone pnd. Only drawback that I see right off is the smallish screen. But iPhone users seem like they'd be happy if they had a real nav app on their small screen. By using an active mount, battery life is not much of an issue (and I betcha the mount fits the Garmin beanbag), pre-loaded maps saves a lot of data requests and delays, and if they're using the Garmin mobile app as their starting point for navigation, it's very customizable, top-notch IMO. I've been using it for about a month on my Blackberry. Until now I've been kinda ho-hum about the nuviphone. Now I'm anxious to take a look. Sure would solve a lot of issues, tho it's been noted they're not positioning this, at least for now, as a pedestrian device.
  • Now I'm anxious to take a look. Sure would solve a lot of issues, tho it's been noted they're not positioning this, at least for now, as a pedestrian device.
    Give them a couple of months and they will be marketing at least 3 dozen models of Nuviphones :P
  • Tim 1481 Points
    My concern is who are they marketing it to? Probably people like us who are GPS and LBS enthusiasts. But we are not a big segment of the population.

The majority of people don't need navigation every day-- they need it some fraction of days. To me the Nuvifone is a PND that happens to also have a phone, rather than a phone that also has PND features.

I think most people who don't need navigation every day would rather have a phone with PND features over a PND with phone features, with sizes being equal.

Don't get me wrong, as a GPS and LBS enthusiast I'm really excited about it. And I think Garmin can call it a success even if they don't gain huge marketshare. But I don't see them ever being a top tier phone company. (Nor perhaps do they want to be.)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    If they include (or soon do in an upcoming model) real Smartphone features, it may have longer legs than we think. I'm encouraged by the fact the M20 will be using Window Mobile 6.1. There's a ton of existing apps for that. I would assume that if Verizon or AT&T signs on that they will add some mobile apps of their own as part of the package, much as Verizon did on my Blackberry. If the carriers market it as a Smartphone first, with real navigation, it does have some potential. What's the biggest complaint now with trying to use phone navigation and networking features? Battey life is near the top of the list. That active mount alone might push people who might otherwise be looking at iPhones , Samsung's or Blackberry's, to take a hard look at least. Hope Garmin stays out of the marketing :roll:
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Have you guys seen this site? Nuvifone G60 & M20 Or is this old news?
  • Thought I would add in a bit of what I have read....

It appears as though they are actually going to have three models available, the M60, the M20 and another one, that I read will all be coming out within the next year or two.

The M60 (apparently its the G60, my mistake) I think is supposed to be first and apparently within the first half of this year, and will be based on a Garmin created OS for the phone.

The M20 should be coming out in the later parts of this year and will be a windows mobile based phone.

I also read somewhere that there will be a third one coming out a bit farther into the future that will be based on Google's Android platform.

... and it looks like spyder got a better link directly to garmins pages so I will leave mine out.