This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

ever filled out an error report form at Garmin.com?

i've read this on the garmin website: "If you come across an error or missing information in any Garmin map, please fill out an error report form."

has anyone actually done this? it wants an incredible amount of information (understandably) like GPS coordinates of the error.

will garmin's map supplier actually do anything with all the corrections i'd like to send?

it seems that austin is left in the dust.
1--it doesn't know about flyovers between highways that have existed for a decade.
2--it consistently tells me to exit southbound I-35 at exit 237A then get right back on I-35, which would require needlessly sitting through a long light while the highway flows nicely.
3--on US-290E it tells me to "stay left then exit on ramp", but ALL the ramps on this highway are on the right!

is this the kind of info that they'd actually correct if i went through the trouble of sending it in? if so, how do i capture the GPS location of these issues if i'm driving while i pass them? (it's not feasible to pull over and write it down on this busy hwy)

thanks!
justin

Comments

• Tim 1470 Points
    I'd agree with the first reply... go straight to the source and report the error at mapreporter.navteq.com
  • Some if not all of those "errors" reported above seem to be Garmin routing problems rather than NAVTEQ mapping errors, so why would you report them to NAVTEQ?
  • Tim 1470 Points
    I wouldn't. Two of the items sounded like mapping errors. Those should be reported to NAVTEQ.

• it seems that austin is left in the dust.
    1--it doesn't know about flyovers between highways that have existed for a decade.
    2--it consistently tells me to exit southbound I-35 at exit 237A then get right back on I-35, which would require needlessly sitting through a long light while the highway flows nicely.
    3--on US-290E it tells me to "stay left then exit on ramp", but ALL the ramps on this highway are on the right!
    2: Sound like a Garmin routing error to me. Is your unit set for fastest or shortest route?

3: a. Are the exits shown correctly on the map (off to the right)?

b. Does the next turn arrow indicate a left or right turn at the exit?
  • it wants an incredible amount of information (understandably) like GPS coordinates of the error.
    Take note that only the fields marked with an * are required to be filled out. So you do not need as much information as you think :)
  • thanks to all for the replies. i now understand that if it's a true mapping error, i can go straight to navteq. i also understand that only items with an * are required on that form, so it might not be as daunting as i thought.

here are my items again, with a new one:
    4--on southbound I-35, at a spot where it goes from 55 to 60 mph limit (and has been so for the 15 years i've lived here) the garmin still says 55 mph for miles to come.

here's what i understand (and don't) now:
    1--not knowing about flyovers between highways is a mapping issue. i'll report it to navteq.
    2--me be a garmin routing issue. what are my settings? see below.
    3--the text at top of screen says "stay left", the voice says "stay left", the exits and arrows on the map are shown on the right, the instructions eventually say "exit right". following the "stay left" instructions, this would require jumping across 4 lanes of busy traffic. is this a mapping or routing error?
    4--are incorrect speed limits a mapping error?

my settings:
    nuvi 770, software version = 4.60, GPS SW version = 3.00s
    usage mode = automobile
    route preference = faster time
    avoidances = traffic, carpool lanes, unpaved roads
    map info = city navigator north america NT 2009

on #1, will navteq actually do anything with all the corrections i'd like to send? or is the form just a black hole to make their customers feel good?

on #2,3,4, any ideas?
  • Re: 3.

So, as I thought, it's not a mapping error.

"Stay left" doesn't mean that you must be in the left lane...but rather to keep (stay) to the left rather than being in a right hand exit only lanes (coming before the exit ramp that you are going to take. Like understanding a woman...it takes time! :wink:

Please give us start and end point, so we may duplicate that segment of the route in question.
  • bulliever: thanks! for the trip, try from [11003 Harris Branch Pkwy, Austin, TX] to [2130 Woodward St, Austin, TX]. e.g. when routing this via google maps, it knows about the flyover and doesn't incorrectly tell me to leave I-35 at exit 237A.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Sunbears, enabling traffic avoidance can effect your route choice. I notice my nuvi often recommending what I initially think to be an odd route, only to find that "traffic avoidance" afftected the initial computation. Turn off that avoidance and see if you get the same route.
  • bulliever: thanks! for the trip, try from [11003 Harris Branch Pkwy, Austin, TX] to [2130 Woodward St, Austin, TX]. e.g. when routing this via google maps, it knows about the flyover and doesn't incorrectly tell me to leave I-35 at exit 237A.
    Routed as above, my 755T directs me to take exit 236B on right towards 38-1 and then exit 231 towards Woodward St, then turn left.

Trip: 15.4 Miles; Time 19 min.

There was no mention of exit 237A.
  • thanks again for all the great replies. i am happy to have joined such an intelligent, helpful group of people. to recap:

here are my remaining items again:
    4--on southbound I-35, at a spot where it goes from 55 to 60 mph limit (and has been so for the 15 years i've lived here) the garmin still says 55 mph for miles to come.

here's what i understand (and don't) now:
    2--per gatorguy, this may be a traffic avoidance. turning off traffic avoidance has resolved this issue. the real problem is that traffic avoidance is the main reason i bought this unit!!! the cruddy insignia unit (that i returned) had beautiful traffic-based routes: 3 to choose from every time you got started. if the nuvi makes you sit for 10 minutes at a busy side road red light rather than going 3 min down a busy block of I-35, its traffic avoidance isn't functioning to my satisfaction. (not flamebait, but since it's never the fastest route either, i would subjectively call it an error in routing.)

3--per bulliever, this is most likely an error in my interpretation. it only makes sense to me that if i'm told to stay left on a 4-lane highway, i should not be in the right lane. oh, well. i'll adjust my interpretation!

4--are incorrect speed limits a mapping error?

sadly, in general, it appears that i need to lower my expectations for what a GPS can really do for me. so:

on #1, will navteq actually do anything with all the corrections i'd like to send? or is the form just a black hole to make their customers feel good?

on #4, any ideas on incorrect speed limits being a mapping error?
  • i've read this on the garmin website: "If you come across an error or missing information in any Garmin map, please fill out an error report form."
    has anyone actually done this? it wants an incredible amount of information (understandably) like GPS coordinates of the error.
    thanks!
    justin
    Yes. I find error's, but mostly, a lot of missing roads...
  • Turbo DV8 0 Points
    edited January 2009
    Will Navteq delete POI's that not only don't exist anymore, but likely never existed in a million years? Route 305 between Austin, NV and Battle Mountain, NV is nothing but 90 miles of desert. Maybe one house. I think the last business along the route was Marv's Mammoth Tusk Sharpening right before the last ice age. On my last motorcycle ride out of Austin, I noticed my Nuvi indicated a large "park" almost exactly min-way between Battle Mtn. and Austin. Do a search for parks near Austin, NV, and "Gilder Park" shows up. It appeared on the map as a large green area; a very inviting looking place. I looked forward to relaxing at this virtual oasis. I turned off of 305, right where it told me to, but only after first stopping and gazing down the narrow dirt cattle path which was to lead me to my oasis. Supposedly a quarter mile down this path was a beautiful park. At this point I was just plain curious, so I slipped and slid down the path to the very spot my Nuvi said I would find my rest. I looked right and left, and saw nothing, not even another path. I think there may have been a slight hump in the path, but not sure if there was water beneath it to be found. No water, no park, and no sign of a living thing for miles.

Does Navteq verify errors before correcting, because if they do, they have a long, lonely ride to find this park does not exist.
  • Green can be open space land too. Can be State park, Fed lands, or such.
    Next to where my Bro lives, there is a green spot, too; He has no idea...

BTW. I contacted Garmin, about rest stops, according to them, they are there?? The one near me, on Hwy-1-SB, in La Selva Beach (Aptos, Ca), is not there?
    Approx:
    N36-56.310
    W121-50.070
    I saved it manually, and I'm off by about 300 Feet, this is too far south.