This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

7200T/FreshMaps/Fresh 1.4.9

john.m.clark 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I like the Navigon 7200T but here in Kansas City we have some major road construction. I purchased and activated the FreshMaps add-on and now want to download the latest Maps. I keep getting an error that states: Sorry, Fresh does not support this device!

OK, so now I am lost as to how these updates get applied.

I keep reading about version 1.1 to 1.2 to 1.2A upgrades but I do not think they apply to my device. I have updated from 1.4.6 to 1.4.9 but it does not even recognize my device. I do not see it in the Windows XP Pro Device Manager either.

I have tried this on my Dell laptop and on my main computer which is an Intel Core 2 running Vista Ultimate x64 and I have the same issues on that computer.

I like the device. I like the way it changes the view to show the signs, speed limits, ramps on highways, etc. I would just like to make it current.

Also, the Night/Day should have a sensor and change automatically. Right now, I have to change it manually even though I have it set to Automatic.

Any good company will have their ducks in a row BEFORE a product is launch and their people thoroughly trained on that product.

Like the Product, Hate the Company and their Tech Support online and on the phone. I believe having a 24/7 line would be a great start since a lot of us do travel on the weekends. A much better explanation and separation of their products Software Updates (Fresh vs. FreshMaps) and Tech Support options online is a necessity.

I have been around quite awhile and being treated this shabbily should make Navigon be ashamed of themselves.

John M. Clark
:evil:

Comments

• Fresh Maps is saying it's not compatible with your device because there are no newer maps for the 7200T yet than what it shipped with (this has been confirmed by Navigon). Navigon has stated new maps for the 7200T will be out late January/early February 2009.

As for the night/day switch, it goes by time not by sensor. But you shouldn't have to change it manually--mine switches automatically with no trouble.
  • So what software do I use to update it then? Why does it not find my GPS via USB when I try to perform a Software Update? Does it use "Fresh" or "FreshMaps"? What is the difference between the two?

John
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    @ John M. Clark -

You are correct that the v1.2 update does not apply to the 7200. You have MN7 (v7.3.x) and that is current.

As for FreshMaps updates - as Thunder Dump said - you need to wait a while longer.

When I upgraded Fresh to v1.4.9 it no longer gives me the error message you are seeing so no idea why you still are.

As for day/night screen change over. It is true it should happen at sunrise/sunset, but apparently on some units there is a little error in the code instructions in the applicationSetting.xml file, which can be adjusted/fixed. There is also a "fix" for searching Nearby POIs if you don't like the way it is now. In larger urban areas it is not uncommon to try to find a restaurant or store that is more than 6.2 miles away, like out to 20-30 miles.

If you make either of these changes be sure to have a backup of your original ApplicationSetting.xml file. If you used Fresh to make a backup of your mSD card you already have it. You can make these changes with any basic text editor such as Notepad. When you save the new/changed file back to your gps be sure to add the .xml extension to the filename. Don't save it as .txt. GPS will not see it.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    AutoDim feature switching too late or too early, there is a delay in ApplicationSetting.xml.

<DayNightSwitching>

<SunRiseDelay>0</SunRiseDelay>
    <SunSetDelay>3600</SunSetDelay>
    </DayNightSwitching>

Current delay is 3600 (seconds?) which is an hour. Enter 0 to put it back on the correct change time for sunset.

Nearby Search Settings Fix

Here is a fix/adjustment to extend POI search mileage/area when using Nearby Search

Default value is currently 10000 meters, which equals 6.2 miles.

In file "ApplicationSetting.xml" :

Default value is currently 10000 meters, which equals 6.2 miles.
    Replace this value with 50000, which extends the search limit out to approximately 31 miles.
    Possibly you can put more than that, but it seems the system will become slower. You can try a lower setting as well.
    All you need to do is to find text "NearbySearch", in the file ApplicationSettings.xml and the rest as follows:

<NearbySearch>
    <EU>
    <Radius>50000</Radius>
    <SearchMaxCount>100000</SearchMaxCount>
    </EU>
    <US>
    <Radius>50000</Radius>
    <SearchMaxCount>100000</SearchMaxCount>
    </US>
    </NearbySearch>
    =============================================
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    So what software do I use to update it then? Why does it not find my GPS via USB when I try to perform a Software Update? Does it use "Fresh" or "FreshMaps"? What is the difference between the two?

John
    You posted while I was composing my previous post.............

You use Fresh to do all updates: firmware or maps. FreshMaps is the name of the paid or in some cases, free service to get the new maps, hopefully on a quarterly basis.

Does your 7200 mount on your desktop directory when you use the USB cable and are not running Fresh? You should see two new removable drives - letter designation depends on your system. Maybe it will show up as Drive F and Drive G. One is the gps microSD card which houses all the main files and maps. The other will probably show up but if you click on it may say "please insert a disk.... It is the "hidden/unusable (to most) internal 2GB flash drive, but Navigon says it will be made usable with some of their new product offerings such as POI files.
  • john.m.clark 0 Points
    edited January 2009
    I did not know I could make those changes. Thank you very much for the information. Now where can I find the document that shows those changes as well as others others?

John M. Clark
  • See I understand now. I purchaed the FreshMaps because we have a lot of detours here because they are replacing two main highway bridges so I was looking for alternative routes. I installed Fresh 1.4.6 on my Vista but the Software Update errors out with the following statement: The procedure was cancelled. So when I go to even try and update the Maps & Services, it says there is a software update but then errors out with the same previous statement. This is on my Vista Ultimate x64 computer. The Vista at least ses then Navigon and mSD card so that is where I made those XML changes. The Notebook is XP Pro x86 but it does not see the Navigon hardware. So you see I am in a pickle. When those updates become available, I want to be able to install them. Right now I cannot.

John M. Clark
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    John -

OK - first thing you need to do is download Fresh v1.4.9.
    Have you registered your 7200 at the Navigon web site?
    If you have not then go do it. Then you can download the newer version of Fresh once you establish your "My Navigon" account. Also for Fresh to work you need to be registered.

Once you get the new version the error messages will not happen - although you will still get a slightly cryptic message that essentially says no updates are available and that is true.

Are you also saying you made the adjustments to the ApplicationSetting file OK?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    OK - in re-reading your original post you say you already have Fresh v1.4.9.

v1.4.6 ran OK on my XP machine, but not on my Vista Home Premium x32 machine. I had to establish a brand new Admin level user account on the Vista machine for Fresh to start working properly. (I have documented that fiasco in another thread). You could try that approach on your PCs and see if it helps.
  • Freshmaps on sale at jr.com until Jan 22 for $29.99 + small deliv charge (no tax outside NY).
  • Good Find. I just ordered it for myself.
  • jcouser 0 Points
    Hello all. I am also from the Kansas City area and have recently just purchased this device refurbished from comp usa. Right out of the box the unit will not work and gives me a NAVIGON software cannot be loaded. It asks me to perform the reset function and this function will not do anything.

I've downloaded the latest version of Fresh and attempting an update fails as it cannot find a device with the MN software loaded. I have 2 drives in My Computer one being a RAW partition of 512 bytes, and another 1GB partition for the MicroSD.

This MircoSD was received blank. Is this normal? When attempting to update the device it tells me to navigate to navigon.com and goto my Navigon to receive a software version that is compatible with Fresh, and at this location it only points me to download Fresh. Catch 22 it seems. After all of this I seem to feel like I was sold a unit without any software whatso ever and no maps. Is there anything that can be done, or do I need to return this device?

Thanks for reading. It's been a bear to say the least.

Jeremy
  • egale 0 Points
    Return the device
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Or attempt to get CompUSA to send you a new SD card that they have verified does contain the necessary files. As you suspected the gps will not work without the apps, maps, etc. that should be on the card. The main folders that should be present are Navigon, Temp, PhoneLink (at least on my 7200).

You can also attempt to contact Navigon support - where ever they are.
  • Hello all. I am also from the Kansas City area and have recently just purchased this device refurbished from comp usa. Right out of the box the unit will not work and gives me a NAVIGON software cannot be loaded. It asks me to perform the reset function and this function will not do anything.

I've downloaded the latest version of Fresh and attempting an update fails as it cannot find a device with the MN software loaded. I have 2 drives in My Computer one being a RAW partition of 512 bytes, and another 1GB partition for the MicroSD.

This MircoSD was received blank. Is this normal? When attempting to update the device it tells me to navigate to navigon.com and goto my Navigon to receive a software version that is compatible with Fresh, and at this location it only points me to download Fresh. Catch 22 it seems. After all of this I seem to feel like I was sold a unit without any software whatso ever and no maps. Is there anything that can be done, or do I need to return this device?

Jeremy
    I had the same issue when I received my 7200T. The SD card was blank, so the unit would not be recognized by Fresh. I contacted Navigon (still in North America at the time) and they mailed me another SD card. They said there was no way to download the files.

I can only assume that there is something in the software/files that links it to the individual unit (serial number coding or something), otherwise someone could just email you their backup file and you could copy and paste!

Note to the Forum: Any of you smart, hacker guru's have an idea how to get around this? I'm afraid Jeremy will have a tough time getting a loaded card out of Navigon now. :shock: and it would be a shame to have to send it back!
  • papa 0 Points
    I would send it back now. You can get a new one for a few bucks more, less the headache. MHO, of course.
  • catfish77 0 Points
    Hello all. I am also from the Kansas City area and have recently just purchased this device refurbished from comp usa. Right out of the box the unit will not work and gives me a NAVIGON software cannot be loaded. It asks me to perform the reset function and this function will not do anything.

Jeremy
    Any luck in resolving this problem? After reformatting my memory card and then learning the backup didn't register, I have found myself in the same predicament!