This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Copying a track from eTrex Legend HCx memory to SD Card

Hi All,

I am wondering if there is a way to move a track on the gps memory to the sd card. When I first started using the unit, I didn't configure the Data card option to store on the SD card, so now I am left with a track on the gps but not able to use the gpx to post on everytrail.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks for the advice,

Ryan

Comments

• The short answer is “no”. You can’t move a track from internal memory to the card. But I think maybe you are mistakenly assuming that you need to do that. If you just need to get your track in GPX format, you can download the track to MapSource, then save the MapSource file as a GPX file.

I think Garmin includes Trip and Waypoint Manager with the Legend HCx. Trip and Waypoint manager is a MapSource product that Garmin provides for the purpose of transferring data between your unit and a computer. MapSource installs with Trip and Waypoint Manager. Download your track to it, then in the Save dialog box, select GPX as the file type.
  • I think there is a way to save tracks to microSD in the Tracks menu, or at least there is a Save button (I have not tried it). But if you save tracks to SD I heard that you lose the date/time and speed data fields.

If you transfer tracks directly from the eTrex into MapSource or Trip and Waypoint Manager you should be able to see the tracks and data for that track and each little segment by right clicking on a track in the list and selecting Track Properties.
  • I think there is a way to save tracks to microSD in the Tracks menu, or at least there is a Save button (I have not tried it). But if you save tracks to SD I heard that you lose the date/time and speed data fields.
    That saves the track to internal memory, not the card. In addition to stripping out the timestamp information, it also reduces the number of points in the tracklog to a maximum of 500.

You can log tracks to the card as they are recorded, but you can not save them to the card afterward.
  • Wouldn't MapSource receive tracks from the unit and then resend to the card?
  • For practical purposes: no. The only thing MapSource will send to the card in the eTrex x models (or the 60/76 x models) is maps. (Well, if you put the unit in Mass Storage mode, you can select it in MapSource and send all the data to it, but then the unit is actually just acting as a glorified USB card reader, and non-map data thus transferred is not accessible on the unit. While it is technically possible, it serves no purpose.)

When I said that you couldn’t save a track to the card after it had been recorded, but not logged to the card, I meant on the unit, which is what I believe the OP wanted to do.

There is a roundabout way that you could get a track log onto the card by transferring it from internal memory to MapSource, saving the MapSource file as a gpx file and using the unit’s Mass Storage mode, not MapSource, to copy the gpx file to the card. While that would technically accomplish what the OP asked for, again it would serve no purpose. You can’t do anything with the track logs on the card except transfer them to a computer.

I think the real issue of the OP was this:
    I am left with a track on the gps but not able to use the gpx to post on everytrail.
    It seems that his real issue was not that he wanted to save his track to the card, but that he wanted a gpx file. I think he was aware that tracks logged to the card are saved in gpx format; and he thought if he could save his log to the card it would convert it to a gpx file, which he could then copy off the card and post on “everytrail”. You can’t save a track directly from internal memory to the card; but if all he wants is a gpx file, he can turn his track log into one using the method I described in the second post of this thread.
  • I have a problem. I tracked all the route in GARMIN etrex VISTA HCx, but mapsource couldnt find it and I think port is broken. And now I have got one option to copy tracks into my sd card. How is that possible, suggest me to move forward.
  • pierregale 0 Points
    You have to go to gps and click on drop down. Click on isn't or serial and Garmin. Then you can move you breadcrumb track to MM. :-\"
  • pierregale 0 Points
    Sorry O mention USB