8.301 for 720 Thread

cgpublic 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
TomTom Home (2.5.2.58 for Mac) crashed while completing the update, however device does list 8.301 as installed. Any others with experiences to share? As well, anyone with a list of changes per 6141? The support page is not yet updated.

Comments

• dhn 202 Points
    As of this post, users on both sides of the Atlantic are being offered 8.301 via Home but there has been no feedback yet as to what, if anything, got changed in 8.301 over 8.3. (I purposely did not use the word 'fixed'; ain't THAT optimistic ............ :cry: )
  • Tim 1297 Points
    Just finished installing and rebooting now...
  • Tim 1297 Points
    Well, the FM transmitter is still disabled for voice prompts. I can tell you that much. :roll:
  • dhn 202 Points
    And I think the emulator (Operate My Go) will NOT work for you, Tim.
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    Probably wouldn't have anyway as he uses a Mac. But you're correct DHN. Early reports show "operate my Go" not working even on a PC.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    The new application version likely requires an update to the emulator plugin.
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    I think the majority of users could live without that feature for now anyway, so I don't consider it a huge deal. More important has it corrected the screen redraw/stuttering issues. Should be apparent over the next few days.
  • Probably wouldn't have anyway as he uses a Mac. But you're correct DHN. Early reports show "operate my Go" not working even on a PC.
    Same here. Got "This functionality is not yet available for your device or operating system" message.
  • dhn 202 Points
    There is a report that the ONLY fix with 8.301 is for Australian 9x models where the EPT was broken.

Sad, if true........... :cry:
  • Anyone with a list of changes per 6141? The support page is not yet updated.
    On my 730 here is a list of files changed
    fleetecd
    fleetec-ip-down
    fleetec-ip-up
    fleetec-ppp.sh
    ttwd.sh
    ttwd_bremen
    ttwd_murcia
    ttwd_turia

program
    Application.tlv appears to have paths to files
    TomTom-Cfg
    release.nfo
    ttgo.bif looks like it has application versions
    tthome.bif
    ttsystem appears to be a binary file and is what changed a lot.
    blue = new violet = changed red = removed Bold & Underline = Folder
    Another interesting thing about ttgo.bif

Before the reboot ttgo.bif had
    Bootloaderversion=5.2701

After the reboot that line was changed to
    BootLoaderVersion=55015
  • dhn 202 Points
    Now that's interesting about the tthome.bif being removed. That's the file that store your email address when you use Home to log into TomTom.
  • Now that's interesting about the tthome.bif being removed. That's the file that store your email address when you use Home to log into TomTom.
    tthome.bif may no longer be needed because home can get your email from ttgo.bif that also stores your email address.

It would be nice to say that TomTom is removing redundant data to free up space but I don't see anything new added on the unit that would be using the fleetecd folder.

I am thinking that the fleetecd is for TomTom Work that was also announced today?

TomTom should have only applied this to the people who get the TomTom LINK 300 as personal devices don't need this extra 4.51MB

I am also starting to think that TomTom WORK is the major reason for the new firmware and am thinking like you that we should not be THAT optimistic for any fixes for the stuttering issues.

I am also amazed that it is a 32.6 MB Download for 12 MB of things that were changed.
    Why does TomTom include redundant data (where all that changes are the dates) in the firmware update like the car icons, etc.,?
  • I think the majority of users could live without that feature for now anyway, so I don't consider it a huge deal. More important has it corrected the screen redraw/stuttering issues. Should be apparent over the next few days.
    I agree that a person can live without that feature but do think that it was very nice to have.

I used it for testing map overlays, car icons, etc., so you would not have to keep rebooting your TomTom and connecting/disconnecting it from your PC to test them out.

It was also nice to save on fingerprints and not have to use the digitizer (touchscreen) so much by doing map corrections and preparing for a trip using the emulator then on the trip everything was ready.
  • Probably wouldn't have anyway as he uses a Mac. But you're correct DHN. Early reports show "operate my Go" not working even on a PC.
    Is that a bug, or is TT removing that function?
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    Operate My Go has never worked with 8.x and a Mac afaik. I'm sure it's not intentional. Guess they just haven't gotten around to it yet.
  • Sorry, I was referring to the comment that "operate my GO" would not work on a PC. :oops:

Has anyone (who uses a PC :roll: ) lost the "operate my GO" function?
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    I don't think it's being removed. Other more knowledgable TT owners have mentioned that TT is almost always behind the curve on having the appropriate DLL's ready when a new navcore version gets released. They seem to expect it within a couple of weeks.
  • Has anyone (who uses a PC :roll: ) lost the "operate my GO" function?
    Yep, Operate my GO is not working anymore.

GO 730, with program/Navigator 8.301
    vs.
    TTHome 2.5.2.60, with Emulator 8.300.9732.1

My money is on the outdated Emulator...
  • snowjay 0 Points
    edited February 2009
    Operate My Go has never worked with 8.x and a Mac afaik. I'm sure it's not intentional. Guess they just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    It was definitely working on an Intel Mac with the 8.0 software and whatever the previous version of home was. I didn't test it after I upgraded to 8.3 and then to 8.320 though.
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    Thanks Snowjay. I started wondering about that after I posted. It did seem that OMG worked originally on my 930 with 8.x
  • gatorguy 196 Points
    From reports in various forums, the latest firmware release from TomTom does not correct the stuttering/slow refresh problems reported by many users. So it's now 3 months and still counting for a fix from TomTom. A cynic might infer that TT will not be making one available, instead concentrating on the x40 devices. Good thing I'm not a cynic. :roll:
  • egale 0 Points
    Tomtom is working very hard on releasing software that breaks something or reduces features. They are doing a great job on that. Their testers and quality assurance people don't let anything be released unless its proven that the users will be worse off then before.
  • A cynic might infer that TT will not be making one available, instead concentrating on the x40 devices. Good thing I'm not a cynic. :roll:
    Well looking at the TomTom WORK being added it does appear that TomTom in concentrating on new features/devices instead of creating a solid base platform and then adding new features.

They should start to show the stuttering on their online videos for the x20, x30, and WORK videos :lol:

To tell you the truth the grass on the Garmin side of the fence is starting to look a lot greener at this point in time. Who knows when it's time for me to either purchase another map (no lifetime like Garmin :cry: ) or get a new device I may be joining you gatorguy in the Garmin camp.

What might just have to happen is that like how all of the x20's got to be a x30 with a firmware and voice update to get lane guidance, etc.,

Is this time all the x20's and x30's might now have to be a x40 like infama has been suggesting.

I still have not took the plunge to try the x40 firmware but just might :twisted:
    But feel that TomTom should have updated the x20/x30 firmware and not require us to jump through the x40 loop where not everything works correctly for these devices.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    TomTom WORK isn't anything new. I'm not sure why some of the software is now being added directly to the devices, but the software itself isn't new.
  • I can confirm that stuttering is still heard on 8.301. I updated yesterday and had stuttering this morning
  • I also got his "error" from TomTom Home 2.5.2.60 when rebuilding my XP Home S3 PC.

Does anyone have an answer to this problem or am I stuck with a useless piece of expensive junk,

I tried the TomTom web site and it is worse than useless.

Thanks is advance,
    Dick…
  • dhn 202 Points
    It isn't 'useless', far from it. But it is aggrevating.

If you've a backup prior to upgrading to f/w 8.301, you can restore it to get the Operate My Go feature to work (I suspect this is a temporary issue with 8.301 as they usually release the needed .dll file within a day or so of the firmware release [ as if it comes as a great surprise to them that Home requires that to have proper functionality of the emulator]).

And, you can use non computer voices if the stuttering is too much of a hassle to live with.

Compromises, to be sure. But better than tossing the unit.
  • egale 0 Points
    Why did I bother buying an expensive unit with computer voices? I could have saved myself hundreds and bought a cheap Tomtom without it. Is Tomtom willing to refund the difference in price between what I think I bought and what I actually have? Of course not. All Tomtom can say is "Be patient".

As far as tossing the unit? Mine has sit idle for 3 months. Thats as good as tossing the unit. And, thats why I now have a Garmin and Navigon that share duties while the Tomtom collects dust.
  • As far as I know, I did not update the f/w on the 720, but I do have stuttering of the comptuter generated voice.

Prior to the rebuilding of my PC and upload of TomTom Home 2.5.2.60 I did not have a problem.

I cannot roll back the 720 since TomTom Home will not connect in any fashion.

I did leave 2 vary unhappy messages on the TomTom useless website.
  • dhn 202 Points
    Did you try a pin reset on your unit when trying to connect using Home? Also, did you verify that the email address for your account is the correct one for logging in?
  • Everything seems to be as it was before it stopped working,

For the last several months I have had to do a reset every time I wanted to connect to the PC or the G0720 would not be recognized.

Of interesting note, when I connected the GO to HOME, HOME downloaded and installed a GPS Fix update, but it still won't let me "Operate my GO" or "Show contents of my device" the only two "connection" type functions that I have tried.
  • dhn 202 Points
    Yeah, two symptoms of the 8.301 firmware, sadly. :cry:
  • My One XL does not have text to speech, so I have zip expertise on the stuttering Susan issue. FWIW, I found a forum that suggests downloading Loquendo v.7 of the American or British voices, plus Navcore v.8.320 for x20 and x30 devices. Go here:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=71821&start=405

Scroll down to about the third post from the bottom of the page for the links to the voices and v8.320.

Another poster on this forum suggests the problem is with Loquendo v. 6.9 which comes on the x20, while the x30s have new version 7. (Loquendo is the company that makes the TTS voices for TomTom.)

If this is not good advice, please accept my apologies and delete this post.
  • dhn 202 Points
    Some indeed have found that that combination firmware and Loquendo did cure the stuttering; in fact, many expected TT's firmware update to be precisely that version.

So much so that one member of the British forum got an email reply from TT showing the solution to the stuttering to be that same solution and TT had CUT and PASTED the solution from the thread in the Brit Forum!! :!: :!:
  • As I had stuttering on the 8.301 firmware I loaded the unofficial (for GO 930 anyway) 8.204 firmware. I have version 7 computer voices and all seems well. I did notice that for traffic (antenna) it looks like this version does not provide incident delay time. There were only a few incidents when I looked so maybe this information was not available. I will take another look on the way home from work. Lots of incidents when the mad drivers of Toronto get on the roads at rush hour. They are almost as bad as the drivers in Montreal ;-)
  • Hi Bigwig,

You have the stutter problem...Do you also have the problem of the refresh of the map in navigation mode? The map refresh is not fluid, it is jerked.

Thanks
  • The update to 8.301 does break the "Operate My GO" function in TomTom Home on the PC, but there is a fix that has worked for me on a GO 630:

You need to delete the files in the extensions folder located here:

x:\Documents and Settings\"user name"\Application Data\TomTom\Home\Profiles\"*.default"\extensions

Doing so will force Home to download the needed files when you click on Operate My xxx. Be aware though that TomTom in it's infinite wisdom has named some of the files with a ".chk" extension which Microsoft identifies as being orphaned file fragments created by the chkdsk utility which scans and repairs your hard drive. If you have a maintenance program that cleans up clutter and debris from your system these files will be deleted causing an error or the message that this option is not supported. Just add that folder to the exclusions list of you maintenance program and everything should be OK or better yet mark the files as read only.

HTH,

DeliBaker
  • Hi Bigwig,

You have the stutter problem...Do you also have the problem of the refresh of the map in navigation mode? The map refresh is not fluid, it is jerked.

Thanks
    I have not really noticed. If I have had the flicker then it has not been noticeably. I have noticed the brightness changing which does look a bit like flickering.
  • As I had stuttering on the 8.301 firmware I loaded the unofficial (for GO 930 anyway) 8.204 firmware. I have version 7 computer voices and all seems well. I did notice that for traffic (antenna) it looks like this version does not provide incident delay time. There were only a few incidents when I looked so maybe this information was not available. I will take another look on the way home from work. Lots of incidents when the mad drivers of Toronto get on the roads at rush hour. They are almost as bad as the drivers in Montreal ;-)
    I have the exact setup as you (for 2-3 months now) and I can confirm that traffic works perfectly. Indeed, it saved my butt just this week!!! :D
  • Hi Bigwig,

Thanks
    Map refresh is perfect for me with 8.204.
  • Hi Bigwig,

Thanks

I have not really noticed. If I have had the flicker then it has not been noticeably. I have noticed the brightness changing which does look a bit like flickering.
    I have the exact same problems, hoping TT soon will come up with a fix.
  • kace 0 Points
    I asked earlier but got no answer so am asking again.

For 720 users who have Loquendo 6.9 voices, how do we put together the interim fix of 8.204 and V7 voices? In other words can we 720 owners get hold of V7 voices, or does it work as well with 6.9?
    cheers.
  • I asked earlier but got no answer so am asking again.

For 720 users who have Loquendo 6.9 voices, how do we put together the interim fix of 8.204 and V7 voices? In other words can we 720 owners get hold of V7 voices, or does it work as well with 6.9?
    cheers.
    Please see my post of Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:53 pm in this forum for a link to pocketgpsworld.com where you can download American and British v7 voice and v8.320. I think there is a separate v 8.320 for x20 and x30 devices, so please choose the right one for your TomTom.

Of course, backup all your TomTom files before you try this.