This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Importing Excel addresses to 765T

Hiya guys,

I have just bought a 765t and I need a quick way to import 493 different addresses from an excel file.

I am a multi drop courier and need to put all my customers into the garmin for quick retrieval any ideas

Thanks in advance
Matt

Comments

• You should create a custom POI file. There are free programs, just do a google search.

I personally use GeePeeEx Editor. You can download a fully functioning trial version but it only allows you to create five addresses. The unlimited version is $18 but well worth the money. (I didn't include a link because I'm not sure if thats allowed)
  • Thanks I have downloaded the trial version. But cant find a way to import my excel file.

Just to clarify

I have all my clients details in an excel file and wish to import them to my address book then when i get the clients request to go see them i can just select each one from my gps sort a route etc.

Geepeeex editor cant see my saved excel files in its "open" list

Any Ideas
    Thanks
    Matt
  • Ok I was being a little dim.

I have now saved the excel file to a .csv

How do I point the program to differant columns for the addrees

I have:
    A............... b............. c.......... d .......... e....................f............. g............h...........I
    Courier....Round ...Job.......account........ Client....Add ...... Add .........dd ....... post
    name.. number..number...number...... name ......one...... two .......... three ....... code

I only need column's C E F G H I

Sorry for all the newbie question's

Thanks
    Matt
  • Matt - here's the link that describes importing multi-column files.
    http://geepeeex.googlepages.com/importingmulti-columncsvfiles

What I do is delete the columns I don't need and arrange the remaining columns in the exact order outlined in the link. I also change the header descriptions to match the "Preferred Header".

If you have a lot of information you can combine separate columns into the description field. Just use the concatenate function in Excel.

Last thing is to make sure to insert two new columns at the start of the spreadsheet. Label these Longitude and Latitude. (Since you only have addresses you can use the batch geocode feature to get the coordinates. But when you initially import you need these columns for the import to work properly.)

• (Since you only have addresses you can use the batch geocode feature to get the coordinates. But when you initially import you need these columns for the import to work properly.)
    Thanks for the info. I think I have got it now.

Next thing I'm having probs with is using the geocode. It doesnt seem to find a lot of the addresses however google maps has no problem. so I'm having to do a fair few of them manually. not the biggest problem in the world if thats the way it is.

Its already saved me loads of time anyway.