This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Webupdater Problem

I have a Garmin 765 with the 3.1 software. I have been haivng issues with webupdater on two seperate computers (one with XP and one with Vista) . When I try to connect I get a window that says:

Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set interface option on your GPS to "Garmin" or "host".

Comments

• Boyd 1980 Points
    When you connect your GPS to the computer without running Webupdater, does it mount like a USB disk? It should. If not then you are probably having some sort of USB issue. The "garmin" and "host" message refers to the different modes available on some of their handheld models and do not apply to the Nuvi.

Somewhere there's a thread about USB cables... IIRC, some of them are only intended for charging and don't have the necessary data pins. I have a big pile of various USB cables from digital cameras, scanners, GPS'es, chargers. All of the ones I've tried work fine with my GPS(es), but it might just be the luck of the draw.
  • I have a Garmin 765 with the 3.1 software. I have been haivng issues with webupdater on two seperate computers (one with XP and one with Vista) . When I try to connect I get a window that says:

Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities. Please make sure your device is connected to the computer and turned on, then try again. You may also need to set interface option on your GPS to "Garmin" or "host".
    It's a problem that started in the 3.0 software. 2 things seem to work - most of the time.
    (1) Boot your GPS fully prior to connecting it to the USB.
    (2) Remove any SD card you may have prior to connecting to the USB

These seemed to work for me. Hopefully this is just temporary, and can be fixed in a future firmware update ..
  • I have a Garmin 765 with the 3.1 software. I have been haivng issues with webupdater on two seperate computers (one with XP and one with Vista) . When I try to connect I get a window that says:

It's a problem that started in the 3.0 software. 2 things seem to work - most of the time.
    (1) Boot your GPS fully prior to connecting it to the USB.
    (2) Remove any SD card you may have prior to connecting to the USB

These seemed to work for me. Hopefully this is just temporary, and can be fixed in a future firmware update ..
    This should correct your problem. Garmin says it's an issue with the SD card and FW combo, and they haven't fixed it yet. This worked for me along with many others here. GL
  • I've just hit this problem with a Nuvi 265WT when trying to download a map update ordered from Garmin.

When I click on the PC Download link the screen displays "Computer ready for download" and "Looking for devices". Then at the bottom of the screen it shows "Error on page" and the Garmin Communicator plugin cannot see the Nuvi.

I know the plugin works as I used it 2 weeks ago to register the unit with Garmin and update the software to version 5.00.

My PC is seeing the Nuvi as a USB disk and I can use POILoader to load custom POIs but when I run WebUpdater it shows the message "Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities".

I've followed the advice in this post but cannot get it to work, I also tried using another PC but the result is the same.

Is it possible that either the Nuvi software update or recent Microsoft updates to XP have caused this?

Anyone else seeing this problem or got any suggestions?

Thanks.
  • ifi 0 Points
    but when I run WebUpdater it shows the message "Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities".
    I've had this happen after installing other applications. This is my fix.

Connect the device to PC with USB cable. Go to Windows Control Panel/System/System Properties/Hardware/Device Manager and click
    Disk Drives. You should see:

Garmin nuvi Flash USB Device

Right click this and select Uninstall. Click OK to uninstall. If Autoplay starts, select Take No Action. The System Settings Change window will prompt to restart your computer now. Click No. Click Safely Remove hardware to Safely Remove (Garmin) USB Storage Device. Unplug USB cable to device. Reboot PC.

Run WebUpdater_241.exe to re-install WebUpdater. WebUpdater starts. Plug in USB cable between PC and device.

Windows will show the message Found New Hardware and automatically installs the Garmin nuvi Flash USB Disk drive.

WebUpdater should now recognize the device.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    My PC is seeing the Nuvi as a USB disk and I can use POILoader to load custom POIs but when I run WebUpdater it shows the message "Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities".
    That's the typical symptom of a bad/truncated GarminDevice.xml file. The nuvi 7x5 series had this problem with a certain firmware (since corrected) and it looks like this bug has also migrated over to the 265. Go to your nuvi drive and in the x:/Garmin folder, there will be a file named GarminDevice.xml. Delete the file, disconnect the nuvi from USB and reboot. The file will be regenerated from scratch on the next bootup. Allow the nuvi to boot fully, then power down. Now connect the nuvi again to your PC and run WebUpdater which should detect the nuvi drive and run as it did. If you run into the same issue again when running WebUpdater, you'll need to again delete the file, have the nuvi regenerate it, then run WebUpdater again.

GarminDevice.xml contains basically a copy or record of what firmware, voices, etc are flashed on the nuvi drive. This file gets refreshed on every bootup. If however this file somehow gets corrupted or truncated on it's regeneration, it will tend to stay corrupted and prevent the nuvi from accessing it correctly and the nuvi/WebUpdater will display the symptoms you're seeing. Deleting the file allows the nuvi to fully regenerate it and rewrite a good copy.
  • ifi 0 Points
    If that does not work, in \Garmin folder try renaming gmapsupp.img to _gmapsupp.img

Then Safely Remove Hardware, turn off device, turn on device, wait 10 seconds for Windows to load device drivers. Run WebUpdater.
  • Thanks to both of you for the replies, I have tried all your advice but have not been able to get round the problem.

I cannot see a gmapsupp.img file but do have gmapbmap.img, gmapprom.img and gmaptz.img.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Thanks to both of you for the replies, I have tried all your advice but have not been able to get round the problem.
    Try to edit your GarminDevice.xml file. Browse to it on your nuvi drive and double-click on it...it should open in Internet Explorer. Scroll down to the very end of the file. Are there any errors reported? If there are, they will be quite obvious and you should see an error message. If you have errors, the GarminDevice.xml file is the culprit.

Do you by any chance have a memory card in the memory slot on the unit? This is one of the causes for the bug I mentioned in my previous post. If a memory card was in the 7x5 along with a certain firmware version, GarminDevice.xml was being truncated upon creation by the nuvi OS and had errors in it, thus causing WebUpdater not to detect the nuvi as a valid device.

If you do have a memory card in the slot, you may want to try my above instructions except this time, remove the memory card before doing any of the things I mentioned above.
  • Do you by any chance have a memory card in the memory slot on the unit?
    I had a memory card installed for custom POIs but removed it following advice posted earlier in this thread.

Try to edit your GarminDevice.xml file. Browse to it on your nuvi drive and double-click on it...it should open in Internet Explorer. Scroll down to the very end of the file. Are there any errors reported?
    Yup, there's an error, it looks like the xml files is not being finished properly. These are the very last lines of the file:

- <Version>
    <Major>2</Major>
    <Minor>50</Minor>
    </Version>
    The XML page cannot be displayed
    Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

End tag 'ActiveItem' does not match the start tag 'Location'. Error processing resource 'file:///E:/Garmin/GarminDevice.xml...

<Version><Major>0</Major><Minor>0</Minor></Version><Path>Garmin</Path><Fi...
    t:-2em"> <Path>Garmin/Vehicle</Path>
    <FileName>car_blue.srf</FileName>
    </UpdateFile>
    - <UpdateFile>
    <DIV

So I guess what you are saying is if I can fix this then WebUpdater should work?
  • Youse guys come through again....

Moved my xml to my pc for backup then restarted the gps and sure enough this is the first time webupdater did NOT have something it thought I needed !

And the xml file was rebuilt with the current date and time...
    Now why didn't Garmin tell me that when I talked to them today :lol:

Think this may happen if you don't use the "Safely remove device" option from your pc ?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    So I guess what you are saying is if I can fix this then WebUpdater should work?
    Yup. That is the problem. GarminDevice.xml is not being generated properly. Delete it. Remove memory card from nuvi. Reboot nuvi, allow to boot fully. With nuvi on, plug nuvi into USB port & try WebUpdater again. Report back, soldier. 8)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Think this may happen if you don't use the "Safely remove device" option from your pc ?
    No, that's not the reason although you should alway safely remove the nuvi anyways.

This is a firmware bug. It was introduced with nuvi 7x5 series firmware v3.00 that added ecoRoute. Looks like the bug has made it to other units months after it was reported and fixed for the nuvi 7x5. This is yet another instance of no testing being done by Garmin.

Sheesh, if you have a bug in one series' firmware, fix that bug, then migrate the SAME BUG to another series, there's really something wrong with whatever quality control is being implemented... :roll:
  • dhn 335 Points
    Sounds as if Garmin uses the same QA people as TomTom.... :roll:
  • SergZak 340 Points
    And the end-user gets to try figure out the whole mess on their own or search out forums for help.

Both of the last downloadable Garmin map updates had numerous bugs. This last map update even had (was it fixed?) what could be considered a fatal bug in which the installer did not detect low-memory nuvis correctly and install the smaller mapset (or display the smaller mapset options to the user to select from) for the unit. The map image on the nuvi was deleted by the installer, and the program aborted leaving no map image -at all- on the unit.

Simple testing would have revealed this issue along with the incorrect Junction View file that was installed on nuvi 7x5 units. It really appears that no testing was done at all on these two updates. Looks like the end-user is now the beta tester.
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    edited April 2009
    it's happening all the time everywhere nowdays:)

Customer service and quality are a lost art.....

Downsizing and I call it "outsizing" so the least amount of dollars is given for work.....

The downward pressure of
    we all want the lowest price
    with the most features
    AND in the quickest time -
    then quality of work suffers....

this may be the new distributed testing paradigm :lol:
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Distributed testing . . . LOL!!!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    23 April

Garmin has posted WebUpdater for Windows software version 2.4.2

See the Garmin Firmware Update Sticky for link.
  • Report back, soldier. 8)
    This is starting to do my head in!

I've tried every way imaginable but cannot get the xml file to generate without the error. At the moment I am stuck.

I backed up the Nuvi drive two weeks ago just after I got the unit but even the copy on the backup has the error.

Will call customer support tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions.

But thanks for the help, it is clear that this is the problem.

Will keep you posted.
  • quarkslot 0 Points
    Fixed!

Garmin's UK support were really helpful and had me trying lots of things but none worked until a cold reset - blew away all my favourites etc. but fixed garmindevice.xml.

One thing, when I told them that I had tried deleting garmindevice.xml in order to fix it I was advised not to mention it again, apparently doing this can void your warranty.
  • quarkslot 0 Points
    OK, this problem is back again, garmindevice.xml is truncated.

After I applied the map upgrade I manually added some favourites and now when run WebUpdater I get the "Some devices were found; however, none have the necessary capabilities" message again.

I haven't yet plugged my memory card into the Nuvi so that can't be the problem.

It seems pretty fragile to me, has anyone else noticed a similar problem with 2x5 Nuvi's?
  • kurt_m 0 Points
    I have just purchased a nüvi 765t. Software version 3.8 and am trying to upgrade to 3.9 using WebUpdater (242) without any success.
    Every time I plug the GPS into the USB port on my PC (WinXP SP2) something happens on the PC which causes all kinds of problems. I've removed most of the resident applications such as Ad-Aware, however can't kill AVG.
    When I explore MyComputer it takes many minutes before I see any drives. After a long time they may appear with GARMIN as a removable drive but trying to open that eventually causes all my icons to disappear from the window until I pull the USB to Garmin when they all restore again.
    I've tried the recommendations mentioned above, uninstalling the drive, etc., etc., with no change.
    WebUpdater does find GARMIN and does run the update, however, WebUpdater terminates with a message "The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error."
    The USB Device Instance Id is "USBSTOR\DISK&VEN_GARMIN&PROD_NUM_FLASH&REV_1.00\0000DBDD3F74&0"

I've searched for a solution via Google and tried everything that seems reasonable. I've logged this with Garmin service (on-line) but no response. I've wasted a h..l of a lot of time on this and if I was paid for the time I'd be rich now. I'm super frustrated.
    What's Garmin doing about it. Do they read these blogs??
  • Tim 1479 Points
    kurt_m-- that sounds more like a problem with your computer and not with the GPS.
  • kurt_m 0 Points
    Problem doesn't happen when I plug my nuvi 265w into the USB.

I did get a response from Garmin product support with some questions -
    1. Was I using a USB multihub (Answer - NO)
    2. How much free space remains on my C:\ drive (Answer - over 75GB)

Tim - Are you sure or just guessing?
  • Tim 1479 Points
    Tim - Are you sure or just guessing?
    Just going from my experience and the experience of other users here.
  • kurt_m 0 Points
    Tim - much appreciated.
    Garmin tech support suggest I return it for service.
  • I recently tried to update my 1350T to version 3.60 but came across this same problem, webupdater would not recognize my device.

After exhausting all the suggestions here, I decided to start deleting files (LOL) From the hidden .System folder I deleted:

(I backed them all up first of course)
    006D135900.gpi
    fs_image.ver
    GUPDATE.GCD

Ejected the GPS from the computer, unplugged USB and waited for the GPS to fully boot up. Plugged USB back in, waited for computer to recognize device and started webupdater. BAM device found! Updated software to 3.60 as well as a keyboard definition file update.

After everything was done updating I checked to see what files were in the .System folder, 006D135900.gpi and GUPDATE.GCD were back but fs_image.ver was not. Either way everything seemed to work fine, but I guess the real test is whether or not this update fixes the freezing and random reboots I've been having.

Hope this helps someone!
  • I'm having this same problem with my nuvi 885T. My computer recognizes it (it shows up in "My Computer"), but neither Garmin updater nor the Garmin website recognizes the device.

When I try to look at 'GarminDevice.xml' I get the following error:

Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource 'file:///J:/Garmin/GarminDevice.xml'. Line 1, Position...

e>198.17</ele><time>2009-08-07T14:50:56Z</time></trkpt><trkpt lat="42.288848" lon="-83.443704"...

so I figure this is the problem as the post suggests.

I've tried all of the suggestions in this post (reset device, delete xml file) to no avail. By the way, I've never inserted a micro sd card into the unit.

Is there a way to get a "clean" 'GarminDevice.xml" for the nuvi 885T?

Any help would be appreciated (I'd like to use my lifetime update more than once).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Connect the nuvi to the PC, then delete the bad GarminDevice.xml from the unit. Safely disconnect the nuvi from the PC. Instead of allowing the nuvi to reboot on it's own, force a power-off by *removing the battery*. This is the only way the 8x0/8x5 series will reparse/regenerate files. Turning the unit "off" via the power switch only puts the unit to sleep and does not fully power it off. For a true power-cycle, you need to remove the battery. This is when GarminDevice.xml is regenerated from scratch.

An alternate power-cycle is to slide and HOLD the power switch to the ON position for ~20 seconds or so. Personally, I prefer simply removing the battery.
  • SergZak,

I tried as you suggested, but I still get the EXACT same error message:

Invalid at the top level of the document. Error processing resource 'file:///J:/Garmin/GarminDevice.xml'. Line 1, Position...

e>198.17</ele><time>2009-08-07T14:50:56Z</time></trkpt><trkpt lat="42.288848" lon="-83.443704"...

Is there a way to get a "clean" copy of this file or possibly re-create it manually?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    I have a couple more things for you to try but since I don't have my 855 near me, I don't know if it will work...

I don't remember what the unit does when you eject it from the PC...power down(sleep) or immediately power back on. If it powers back on, then it may be regenerating GarminDevice.xml before you pull the battery. Here's what I'd try next:

1. Remove the battery from the unit
    2. Connect the unit to the PC via USB *with the battery out of the unit*
    3. If the unit powers on via USB power from the PC, Delete GarminDevice.xml
    4. Safely disconnect the unit from the PC where it should power down since there's no battery in it.
    5. Insert the battery and allow it to boot to the Where To? screen

Afterwards, check GarminDevice.xml for a clean copy. If that fails...

What software version (firmware) are you running? The latest is v4.70:
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4441

If your version is earlier than 4.70 and you cannot update because of the GarminDevice.xml/WebUpdater issue, download the update directly from the page I linked to above, connect the unit to the PC via USB and run the downloaded file which should transfer the v4.70 update file the unit. Remember to pull the battery again after the file is transferred to the nuvi, then reinsert the battery for the actual firmware flash to take place.
  • SergZak,

I followed your suggestion with the same results.

So I downloaded and ran the update file and here is what happens:

when I looked at the file \garmin\update\B072600.update AFTER updating but BEFORE disconnecting and resetting, it showed todays date. After resetting, it shows a date of 7/6/2009.

AND, when i check tools\settings\system\about, it shows software version 4.60

Any more suggestions?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    So after you ran the firmware update file, disconnected the unit, then allowed it to restart, the firmware was not updated? Strange...if you have 4.60 currently on the unit, the firmware should have been updated to 4.70 after a power-cycle. Seems the problem may be with your corrupted GarminDevice.xml and/or corrupted internal memory. Maybe try a few more battery-pulls (power-cycles) to see if the unit will maybe flash the firmware to itself. If not, I would contact Garmin to see if they can help you resolve the issue as I really have no more ideas.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/support/supportcontact
  • SergZak,

I guess I'll contact Garmin. Thanks for trying. I do appreciate you efforts.
  • drm 0 Points
    I had this same problem last night. My 1490T had been glitching lately. I noticed that the display would periodically freeze in random places while driving (like the MPH display). Exiting to the home screen the selecting the map again would fix it.

I decided last night to update the firmware, but the webupdater kept giving messages about not being able to find any devices on my Mac. The 1490 would mount as a drive fine, but the updater couldn't see it. Trying to load it in Windows 7 gave a different message but it still wouldn't load.

It turns out that my Garmin/GarminDevice.xml file was corrupted. However, deleting the file and restarting the device DID NOT WORK. The recreated file was still corrupt and the webupdater still couldn't update the device.

Fortunately, I found the solution. The memory of the 1490 was COMPLETELY FULL. In OS X, the Spotlight service automatically indexes all drives that are attached. It turns out that these files had filled up all of the usable space on the 1490. Once I deleted the hidden .Spotlight directory, THEN deleted the Garmin/GarminDevice.xml file, THEN restarted the device everything worked properly. I was able to update the firmware on the PC and on the Mac without issue.

So, in my case, the issue was caused because the 1490 had filled up all of its internal storage. Once I freed some space, it started working properly.

So, my suggestions to people are:

1. Check the free space on your device. If it is running low on space, the device may act oddly.
    2. Prevent OSX from indexing the drive. Go to System Preferences > Spotlight > Privacy and click the "+" to add the Garmin device to the ones that Spotlight is not allowed to index.
    3. Delete the Garmin/GarminDevice.xml file.
    4. Power cycle your device.

I hope this helps! It fixed my problems.
  • Thank you so much!! After 3 hours of scratching my head I had to make an account just to thank you!!! It was full!!!
  • asphalt 31 Points
    Can I use WebUpdater to update firmware on an unregistered Garmin (purchased secondhand)?
  • sussamb 798 Points
    I don't believe the GPS needs to be registered to use webupdater, try it and see :)
  • alanb 539 Points
    Yes, unless Garmin has changed it recently, you can use Webupdater on an unregistered Garmin. When I buy a new Garmin, I usually use it for several days before I register it (just in case I decide to return it). I have been able to do updates with web updater before registering the unit. Of course, you can't do map updates without registration.
  • asphalt 31 Points
    Thanks. WebUpdater updated my unregistered Nuvi to the latest firmware.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Yes, unless Garmin has changed it recently, you can use Webupdater on an unregistered Garmin. When I buy a new Garmin, I usually use it for several days before I register it (just in case I decide to return it). I have been able to do updates with web updater before registering the unit. Of course, you can't do map updates without registration.
    Are you sure? Didn't we have someone on here recently complaining cos Garmin took his money for a map update but he wasn't able to register?
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Webupdater only updates firmware and not maps. It has never been a requirement to register in order to install firmware.
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Sorry, think you misunderstood, my query was whether you need to register to update maps, not to suggest you use webupdater to update maps (which as you point out doesn't).
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    OK, sorry - I didn't read the last sentence of your quote. I thought you were questioning Alan's statement at the beginning of the quote that you could use webupdater.

The other thread you're talking about is linked to in our general info stickie, How to register a nuvi purchased at a pawn shop

It was a little unclear exactly what happened there, the OP says Garmin offered to sell him an update when he called. Normally it would be associated with your Garmin account, but maybe there's a way around that? You can buy the pre-paid update cards, but I'm not sure what sequence of events happens when you connect the unit and try to install.
  • piper36 0 Points
    I have relatively new 3790 plus a 660 and both are recognized when I log into MyGarmin. I was able to update the firmware on the 3790 BUT, while both Nuvi's are recognized and new maps are identified, neither using the Lifetime Updater (which is notifying me of new maps for the 3790) nor using option 2 will result in my pc or the respective pgms to recognize either of the nuvi's. I hit search for device to no avail. Both will show up in My Computer with the connection triangle. The autorun pgm comes up but I X it out as not applicable. Each Nuvi has a different USB cable. The lifetime updater will NOT allow me to add the older 660 as the Search for Device returns a no device connected.
    I have tried several USB ports, turned the Nuvi's on, turned them off, etc all to no avail yet I was able to update both last Fall before driving south on this same pc, plus I was able to update the maps and firmware while out of the country on my netbook. I am connecting directly to onboard USB ports and not to a hub, plus I have downloaded the updated USB driver(s) from the Garmin web site. The 3790 came with lifetime updates and I bought same for the 660 a few years ago...zero problems until now. I can open both via My Computer and delete unnecssary files to make more room (language files)

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks
  • sussamb 798 Points
    As this thread is about web updater you'd be better posting this query as a new post, maybe a mod could move it?

In the meantime try installing the latest Garmin Communicator plug in from:

http://www8.garmin.com/products/communicator/

and use the test page to check it's working correctly and sees your nuvis
  • Boyd 1980 Points
    Sorry, the forum software doesn't permit mods to split posts from an existing thread. :?
  • sussamb 798 Points
    Oh ... OK ... thanks :)
  • piper36 0 Points
    Sorry - newbie to the forum...did download the latest plug in but didn't know about test page.........thanks.
  • jjoeharr 0 Points
    My GarminDevice.xml file was corrupted on my 1490lmt. I could not recreate it because my unit was full. I deleted some language files, this left me with 84meg to work with. I rebooted the unit, my GarminDevice.xml was now good. The updater program could find my device and install the latest map updates. I was able to fix my unit because of the info I found on this forum. Thanks to drm posting.

Tks, jjoeharr :lol: