This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

No TomTom mobile app planned

gatorguy 326 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Looks like we can forget about a mobile app from TomTom. As little as 3 months ago, it looked like a priority. A conference call with analysts today quashed that. They will now concentrate on supplying TeleAtlas map data and LBS services, choosing to drop any plans for an off-board navigation application. Appears that they decided they don't have the resources to try and compete with the likes of Garmin or Telenav in that arena. So don't look for TomTom on the iPhone.

“If you look at our business strategy in mobile, I don’t think we should aim to develop tens of small applications, with different phones, different form factors, different operating systems and different functions. That is an awful of complexities to deal with. I don’t think it would be a good strategy for us to try to do everything ourselves and build large engineering teams to do specific applications for very specific phones or network operators.

However, our strategy is based on the idea of making it simple for networks operators, handsets manufacturers and systems integrators to use Tele Atlas maps in their mobile applications and that involves not only the content but it also involves technology to be able to deploy that content in a very cost effective way that shortens the time to market. . ."

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Does that translate to be "We ain't got the money?" :?: :?:
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    No comment
  • Tim 1481 Points
    TomTom iPhone App... it is real. :)
  • dhn 336 Points
    How many milliseconds before the admin here gets one in his hot little hands? :lol:

Or, am I about to get a "no comment" comment.... :wink:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I suspect it will take longer than you predict.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Now if you could just MMS pics on an iPhone. :roll:
  • Tim 1481 Points
    That is added to the iPhone OS 3.0. AT&T will support it later this summer.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Yeah, I had already heard it would be part of the new OS, but AT&T couldn't support it for a few months. BTW, anybody ever figure out for sure if there is a new phone or just a new OS? They better watch out for Palm.
  • denisb1 0 Points
    Yeah, I had already heard it would be part of the new OS, but AT&T couldn't support it for a few months. BTW, anybody ever figure out for sure if there is a new phone or just a new OS? They better watch out for Palm.
    In case you haven't heard... there are 2 new IPhone 3GS out capable of vocalizing turn by turn directions. Tomtom's new App for IPHone will be available shortly after the new PHones are ou which is June 19th.
    IPhone 3.0 firmware will be out June 17th.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've updated the TomTom iPhone App article with some new information and new speculation.