This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Three new Navigons announced

gatorguy 326 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Navigon has announced three new PNDs to join the US model line, the 3300, 4300T and 7300T.

The 7300T is Navigons' new "flagship" model and features NAVIGON MyRoutes, a new function that gives you a choice of up to three routes to your destination with all the options displayed on the map with ETA and driving times.The 7300T also offers 3D mapping with buildings and terrain complete with digital elevations, and real time spoken traffic updates.

Here is the feature set:

3D mapping with buildings and terrain
NAVIGON MyRoutes™
Free Real-Time Spoken Traffic Updates
Voice Address Entry and Control
Panorama View 3D and Landmark View 3D
Rand McNally Scenic Routes
Clickable POIs
Reality View™ Pro
Lane Assistant Pro
Fast Destination Entry
Bluetooth® Hands-Free
Advanced Text-to-speech
Zagat® Ratings and Reviews
Exit Guide
DirectHelpSM
Speed Assistant
Multi-Destination Trip Planning
Automatic Standby Feature
Favorites as POI
Coordinate Input
Automatic Day/Night Model

The 7300T will be available Q2 2009 and will sell for $399.99.

The 4.3" widescreen 3300 max will come with MyRoutes, Reality View, Lane Assistant Pro and multi-destination trip planner, while the 4300T max will have all the features of the 3300 plus Traffic with real time spoken alerts, Rand McNally content and Bluetooth.

Comments

• papa 0 Points
    Navigon has announced three new PNDs to join the US model line, the 3300, 4300T and 7300T.

The 7300T is Navigons' new "flagship" model and features NAVIGON MyRoutes, a new function that gives you a choice of up to three routes to your destination with all the options displayed on the map with ETA and driving times.The 7300T also offers 3D mapping with buildings and terrain complete with digital elevations, and real time spoken traffic updates.

Here is the feature set:

3D mapping with buildings and terrain
    NAVIGON MyRoutes™
    Free Real-Time Spoken Traffic Updates
    Voice Address Entry and Control
    Panorama View 3D and Landmark View 3D
    Rand McNally Scenic Routes
    Clickable POIs
    Reality View™ Pro
    Lane Assistant Pro
    Fast Destination Entry
    Bluetooth® Hands-Free
    Advanced Text-to-speech
    Zagat® Ratings and Reviews
    Exit Guide
    DirectHelpSM
    Speed Assistant
    Multi-Destination Trip Planning
    Automatic Standby Feature
    Favorites as POI
    Coordinate Input
    Automatic Day/Night Model

The 4.3" widescreen 3300 max will come with MyRoutes, Reality View, Lane Assistant Pro and multi-destination trip planner, while the 4300T max will have all the features of the 3300 plus Traffic with real time spoken alerts, Rand McNally content and Bluetooth.
    Interesting! Thanks for the info. I'm planning ahead and may get the 7300T. Sounds like another Navigon feature-rich unit. Maybe they have ironed out some of the bugs of the 8100T.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    VELLY Inturesting......

From the press release for the 7300T:

This voice control is something new (for Navigon):

"The NAVIGON 7300T also boasts an all-new Voice Address Entry and Control feature, that not only makes inputting addresses simple, but also allows the user to control the device hands-free by speaking a wide variety of commands. This means that the driver can use the menu, adjust the volume or answer phone calls simply using his or her voice. Additionally, NAVIGON has designed the new voice-based feature to operate using more casual, less specific, language. For instance, the device volume can be increased by saying a variety of commands in much more casual language, such as “increase volume to eight” or “please make it louder.”

Some changes here though:

It is compatible with NAVIGON’s optional FreshMaps accessory, which provides up to 8 map updates over two years for $79.99 (MSRP). (Isn't this fewer updates than currently offered?) If the user activates FreshMaps within 30 days after purchasing the device, the price is only $39.99.

You would think the new models would be a bit more map inclusive:

Pre-loaded Maps of the Lower 48 States (includes maps of Canada if sold in Canada).

So for once, the brethren to the North get more than the US although I see a little conflicting info farther down the features list at the web site.

Additionally comes with:

* Pre-loaded Maps of both the U.S. and Canada

As Jimmy Buffet once said, "only time will tell."
  • serpa4 0 Points
    So, the new 8100T is not the top line unit anymore? WTF I just purchased it. Now more features are available in teh 7300T. I'll be returning it if its true. This is like Garmin always replacing units to get people to upgrade. I see that one will be able to add additional features of the new 7310 to the older 7210. That is great. Will those new features be availble for the top of the line 8100T either free or for purchase in the near future? I sure hope so. I'd hope they do not leave out the people who paid top dollar for your greatest device to be over taken by the lower model 7210 with a new upgrades. If the new 7300 offers 3D building and terrain and multi routes, why even purchase the 8100T?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I agree with all your concerns. Sometimes Navigon makes offers to their European users that they do not for the USA.

For others here is a link to the Navigon CeBIT Germany announcements that serpa4 alluded to:

http://www.navigon.com/site/int/en/cebit09#features
  • serpa4 0 Points
    I talked with US Navigon tech support and he said that they are "planning" (believe it when I see it) on releasing MyRoutes later to the 8100T users. He did not know about being free or as a paid upgrade. He also did not know of 3D landmark view (3D buildings) would be added, nore any other feature like parking assist, or POI click, etc.
    My Route would be very nice and even useful I think.
    3D landmark would be handy, but not "needed". I think 3D buildings in city would be good and terrain view in travel would be good.
    He also said that the 8100T is still a VERY new device and IS still slated to be their top of the line unit and not to be discontinued any time soon. I was concerned that with the new device having every feater of the 8100T AND MORE, it was due to be phased out already a.k.a Garmin style. Always outdating their units every couple months with features that should have been there in teh first place and no way to update.
    I don't mind spending a few dollars here and there buying only "new" features that "I" want vs. having to buy a entire new unit. If the new feature is not handy, I don't need to buy it. Then I'd just have to worry about buying a new device when "technology" leaves me behind, not software. I'd think there is still money for the manufacture to make by selling features. Lower the cost of the unit and then pay for features??? Might be a new way to do business. Then when you buy a $$$ GPS, you EXPECT, as do I, ALL the features included and not to be nickel and dimed todeath with add ons.
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    MyRoutes™? Hmmmm... I think Dash may argue about the name of this feature since they have it incorporated into their units, and they trademarked it a while back. Sure, they may be on their last legs, but they still own their technology.

Alex
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    While the NA market may only get 3 new devices the EU market is getting 7.

Look forward to the arrival of the new NAVIGON devices, available from:

End of March: NAVIGON 4310 max*, NAVIGON 4350 max, NAVIGON 3310 max*, NAVIGON 3300 max

Mid-April: NAVIGON 2310, NAVIGON 1300

Mid-May: NAVIGON 7310
    * Not available in all European countries
  • infama 0 Points
    MyRoutes™? Hmmmm... I think Dash may argue about the name of this feature since they have it incorporated into their units, and they trademarked it a while back. Sure, they may be on their last legs, but they still own their technology.

Alex
    This sounds very similar to TomTom too. With TT, you get one primary route and 2 alternates to choose from.
  • mboy 0 Points
    Yeah, not too happy my less then 2 month old 8100 is no longer top of the line, only to be replaced by a LOWER end model with a great deal more features.

This SUCKS!

Want to tell me they are comoing out with an 8200?

Ok, I can almost live with that (altho the 8100 was relatively new recently), but to be replaced by a 7300 with better stuff, same price?

Bullshit!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    You can count on introduction prices coming down from previous new model releases. The economy just won't support the prices pnd manufacturers had received in the past.
  • papa 0 Points
    edited March 2009
    Here are some CeBIT pics of the new Navigons. Not sure which models these are, though. Looks like the huge mounting arm is gone, but I could be wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-navigons-newest-gps-units/

:lol:

EDIT: Forget the mounting arm comment. I suppose that would be for the 8000 series, which is not shown.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    A litle more "myRoutes" detail. Looks like it may have taken the Garmin "drive habits" algorythm and added to it, plus a touch of TomTom's IQRoutes. . .

NAVIGON MyRoutes™
    As an industry-first, the NAVIGON 4300T max and 3300 max both include the new intelligent NAVIGON MyRoutes™ feature that takes individualized navigation to a new level and allows a unique way of personal route planning. The feature provides up to three route choices with distance and ETA calculated for all entered destinations, factoring in speed limits, construction and traffic as you’re driving. All routes are clearly displayed on a map with ETA and driving time giving the driver a choice. The system continuously saves the driver’s individual driving data in order to provide the best individual route possible and recommends a route based on the user’s driving habits, the day of week and time of travel.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    That with a mix of what Dash was doing with their multiple route choices.
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    Has anyone even considered that Dash may have partnered with Navigon in this feature? What's next? Two-way connectivity? I have said a while back that a Dash/Navigon Hybrid would be a killer machine....

Let's see what happens... 8)

Alex
  • It wouldn't surprise me to see all the features in the 7300T make to a larger screen as an 8200T/8300T.

Also, out of the three new units, only the lowest one (3300) has just maps of the lower 48-states. The others say that in the description but then under the 'more features' section it mentions all of the US and Canada.

And I bet those units that currently have voice command (like the 7200T) could probably be upgraded with a software update to add the additional control commands like the new units.

• Some changes here though:

It is compatible with NAVIGON’s optional FreshMaps accessory, which provides up to 8 map updates over two years for $79.99 (MSRP). (Isn't this fewer updates than currently offered?) If the user activates FreshMaps within 30 days after purchasing the device, the price is only $39.99.
    It's currently 3 years and 12 updates, although some of the units from Amazon, etc, came bundled with a free 2-year 8-update subscription.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    And I bet those units that currently have voice command (like the 7200T) could probably be upgraded with a software update to add the additional control commands like the new units.
    And that is exactly what Navigon is saying with this blurb - BUT only referring to the European model 7210. We may never see it.

"Software Update for Navigon 7210T

To mark the availability of the NAVIGON 7310 in May you will be able to download our software update and extend the functionality of your NAVIGON 7210 with all the new features of the NAVIGON 7310!"

Does not say it is FREE though!!!
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Here are some CeBIT pics of the new Navigons. Not sure which models these are, though. Looks like the huge mounting arm is gone, but I could be wrong.

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-navigons-newest-gps-units/

:lol:

EDIT: Forget the mounting arm comment. I suppose that would be for the 8000 series, which is not shown.
    The mount shown looks similar to the mount for the 7200t, but better. A bit "beefier". The bottom release looks to be a more substantial latch and will most likely eliminate inconsistent releases and occasional fumbling.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    I have requested an RMA for my 8100T. Don't see the value in keeping a $600 retail GPS unit that has less feature then a retail $400 GPS units. I had 2 days left to return.
  • mboy 0 Points
    I have requested an RMA for my 8100T. Don't see the value in keeping a $600 retail GPS unit that has less feature then a retail $400 GPS units. I had 2 days left to return.
    I am a few weeks over or I would have done the same :(
  • serpa4 0 Points
    edited March 2009
    Well, got the unit boxed, but apparently I emailed the wrong country with my NAVIGON support question:

Here is what they said:

Of course you will be able to purchase this new feature for your device, unfortunately we can not say exactly when and how much it is going to be as you have contacted the European support team.

Although that is encouraging, seems like we may have to purchase the update, but that is FAR better than no option to update at all.
    Navigon will transfer my fresh maps to a new unit if I return.

I'm wagering that an updated unit will hit the market for the same retail price or the 8100T will just appear on the market with the new features and no increase in price. If its a software patch, then it would cost them no extra to produce updated units.
    Now, its the return hassel and shipping and insurance worth the return? Not sure. IF a new device comes out with those features, i.e. 8200T then the device has still been outdated even though it can be added to it. I.e. if I sell it in a few years for the latest and greatest, its even older. Or, if its replace by a 8200 something model, it may stop getting support sooner.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    I think I'll return it and take that chance for the $15 to retun ship and insurance. I cannot use the device in Qatar while deployed anyway. So, waiting a month or 3 for a new device isn't too big a deal. I'm just a gadget guy and like to play with new toys even if I cannot really use it right now.
    J&R will also refund the $30 warranty I purchased.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Ain't it a bitch staying on the bleeding edge? :lol:
  • serpa4 0 Points
    Yes it is. Just put it in the mail.
  • mboy 0 Points
    Yes it is. Just put it in the mail.
    That was the right move.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    Looks like the 7300T should be sweet, AND SELL RETAIL FOR LESS THAN I PAID FOR MY 8100T DISCOUNTED! That is just wrong!
    Only advantage of 8100T is the screen. I doubt that is worth $200 extra for ME.

http://navigonusa.com/products/

* NAVIGON MyRoutes™
    NAVIGON MyRoutes is the new standard on all future NAVIGON GPS devices.

As an industry-first, the NAVIGON 4300T max and 3300 max both include the new intelligent NAVIGON MyRoutes™ feature that takes individualized navigation to a new level and allows a unique way of personal route planning. The feature provides up to three route choices with distance and ETA calculated for all entered destinations, factoring in speed limits, construction and traffic as you’re driving. All routes are clearly displayed on a map with ETA and driving time giving the driver a choice. The system continuously saves the driver’s individual driving data in order to provide the best individual route possible and recommends a route based on the user’s driving habits, the day of week and time of travel.

* Free Real-Time Spoken Traffic Updates.
    NAVIGON has once again pushed the envelope when it comes to Traffic Updates by bringing you spoken traffic alerts. Now, your NAVIGON device verbally alerts you of any traffic update concerning your route.

3300 Max, 4300T Max, 7300T features:
    * Wide 4.3” Touchscreen
    * Pre-loaded Maps of the Lower 48 States (includes maps of Canada if sold in Canada)
    * Advanced Text-to-Speech Voice Guidance
    * NAVIGON MyRoutes
    * Reality View™ for Exits
    * Multi-Destination Trip
    Planning
    * Lane Assistant Pro
    * Exit Guide
    * Pre-loaded Points of Interest
    * Speed Assistant
    * DirectHelp℠
    * Smart Speller Destination Entry
    * Clickable Points of Interest

Additionally 7300T comes with:

* Flat Panel Touchscreen
    * Pre-loaded Maps of both the U.S. and Canada
    * Free Real-Time Spoken Traffic Updates for Life
    * Panorama View 3D
    * Landmark View 3D
    * Voice Address Entry and Control
    * Reality View™ Pro
    * Bluetooth® Hands-Free with Contacts
    * Rand McNally Scenic Routes
    * Millions of pre-loaded Points of Interest
    * ZAGAT® Ratings and Reviews

Under the comparison between the 3 new devices, 3300 Max, 4300T Max, and 7300T.
    All 3 devices (7300T included) say: Pre-loaded Points of Interest
    Only the 7300T lists:
    Millions of pre-loaded Points of Interest in addition to the "Pre-loaded Points of Interest"
    I'm ASSuming that means that the 7300T will have the 5+ million POI that the 8100T has.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Anything over one million qualifies as "millions". Until they quantify that with a definite number you know what happens when you ass_u_me. :lol:
  • serpa4 0 Points
    According to Navigon pictures, 3D and terrain should be at the same time.
  • infama 0 Points
    According to Navigon pictures, 3D and terrain should be at the same time.
    Yeah igo8 device like the ipaq 310 have had this for more than a year now. LoL
  • infama 0 Points
    * Free Real-Time Spoken Traffic Updates.
    NAVIGON has once again pushed the envelope when it comes to Traffic Updates by bringing you spoken traffic alerts. Now, your NAVIGON device verbally alerts you of any traffic update concerning your route.

Hey, TomTom does that already!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    So does my MSN, but I wouldn't be surprised that the Navigon traffic alert announcements are more detailed( ie, traffic accident on US27, 7 miles ahead)
  • Tim 1484 Points
    Good thing that route goes off to the right... Turning left up there looks like you would need one serious car to climb that slope.
  • Upacreek 0 Points
    Good thing that route goes off to the right... Turning left up there looks like you would need one serious car to climb that slope.
    Funny, after reading your comment I looked back at the image and realized it shows Cincinnati. Never been there, but does the terrain really look like that? Looks like it sits right at the foot of a mountain.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    Doesn't look like the Cincinnati I've seen. :) But they always vertically exaggerate terrain like that.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Isn't photoshop wonderful. Of course with economy the way it is they might have used the free "Gimp".
  • infama 0 Points
    So does my MSN, but I wouldn't be surprised that the Navigon traffic alert announcements are more detailed( ie, traffic accident on US27, 7 miles ahead)
    My TT does that here too!

It also tells you which faster routes available and ask if you want to detour.
  • infama 0 Points
    The pic also seems more like landmarks, rather than buildings. In igo8, they are 2 separate files, ie 3dl vs 3dc, though both go in the building sub-folder of the content folder.
  • Tim 1484 Points
    Agreed, I was referring to the 3D terrain.
  • infama 0 Points
    No, that too is different.

Terrain is a .dem file and goes in the DEM folder.

Navigon uses an igo engine that they program on top of.
  • papa 0 Points
    Regarding the new Navigon's, the following link says "All three should go on sale in Q2 2009, with preorders starting March 9th".....notice it says should. I'm assuming that Amazon is included as one of the sites.

http://www.slashgear.com/navigon-7300t-4300t-max-and-3300-max-pnds-0236106/

Update: J&R is taking pre-orders now for the 7300T:
    http://www.jr.com/navigon/pe/NVG_NAV7300T/
  • serpa4 0 Points
    Full retail. I'll wait a month or two, get some reviews, etc.
    I'd assume that 3D landmark view is not the same as garmin 3D building view.
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    As far as the 8100T being left as an orphan, that is not the impression that I got from the Navigon reps at the CES in Vegas back in January. I was told that the 8100T will be updated with features such as Landmark 3D in order to improve the market for the expanded Landmark 3D datasets for additional cities. The 8100T is capable of everything that the new units will have and merely needs to be updated with new software. The 8100T has a large 512MB of ROM and that leaves lots of room to put in lots of stuff as far as system features are concerned. Expanded voice control is easy seeing that they're already using Microsoft's Voice Command for address input. They also told me that they are contracting a new company for improved bluetooth features. They weren't happy with the existing company hired to write the current BT software. Personally, I don't think that the 8100T will be an orphan anytime soon. It remains their flagship device and they will continue to support and upgrade it. It's still way too new to abandon.

Oh yeah... one more thing... They're getting rid of the salmon colored line used for slow traffic... YAY! That color is awful! I'm not sure, but I think that the color is already redder than it has been before the new 1Q09 maps. I complained to the Navigon reps that their color display for traffic does not match the demo screensaver showing traffic with its red, yellow and green lines, and they agreed that traffic does not show the color detail that is in their demos and told me that they will look at displaying better color for traffic conditions. When that actually happens, who knows... :roll:

Alex
  • Upacreek 0 Points
    As far as the 8100T being left as an orphan, that is not the impression that I got from the Navigon reps at the CES in Vegas back in January. I was told that the 8100T will be updated with features such as Landmark 3D in order to improve the market for the expanded Landmark 3D datasets for additional cities. The 8100T is capable of everything that the new units will have and merely needs to be updated with new software. The 8100T has a large 512MB of ROM and that leaves lots of room to put in lots of stuff as far as system features are concerned. Expanded voice control is easy seeing that they're already using Microsoft's Voice Command for address input. They also told me that they are contracting a new company for improved bluetooth features. They weren't happy with the existing company hired to write the current BT software. Personally, I don't think that the 8100T will be an orphan anytime soon. It remains their flagship device and they will continue to support and upgrade it. It's still way too new to abandon. ...

Alex
    So, if the 8100T does get the updates, you get the same features as the new models but with a larger display? Or, is there something I'm missing?
  • serpa4 0 Points
    IF it gets teh updates, then you are paying $200 for a larger screen. What makes the 8100 any better than 7300?
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    As far as the 8100T being left as an orphan, that is not the impression that I got from the Navigon reps at the CES in Vegas back in January. I was told that the 8100T will be updated with features such as Landmark 3D in order to improve the market for the expanded Landmark 3D datasets for additional cities. The 8100T is capable of everything that the new units will have and merely needs to be updated with new software. The 8100T has a large 512MB of ROM and that leaves lots of room to put in lots of stuff as far as system features are concerned. Expanded voice control is easy seeing that they're already using Microsoft's Voice Command for address input. They also told me that they are contracting a new company for improved bluetooth features. They weren't happy with the existing company hired to write the current BT software. Personally, I don't think that the 8100T will be an orphan anytime soon. It remains their flagship device and they will continue to support and upgrade it. It's still way too new to abandon. ...

Alex

So, if the 8100T does get the updates, you get the same features as the new models but with a larger display? Or, is there something I'm missing?
    From what I understand from their comments, the 8100T will get all the same features of the newer devices and have the larger screen and stainless steel case. The 8100T remains a work in progress.

Here's an interesting tidbit that I learned at CES... The 8100T was a hastily designed and released product to get it out on the market by Christmas. Many of the support mechanisms were not in place at the time of its release. It was released first in Europe as the 8110T and then it was decided to make the 8100T for the US. Several choices as to what was to be included as far as features were argued about even by the Navigon folks. Why they made certain choices like leaving off the Landscape 3D but including the Panoramic 3D made no sense, since the device was clearly cable of performing adequately with it. They did tell me also that they had to rewrite much of the code for the 8100 series because of its architectural differences from the rest of the earlier units. It could have been that the software coding for some of the features did not make the timeline for release IMHO. Now Navigon WILL be adding Landscape 3D onto the 8100T in a future update. I also believe that MyRoutes will be added at some point along with the other features that the new devices will have. WHEN is the question....

Alex
  • zekec 0 Points
    'Thank you' to AlexM555 for the CES insight!

I've been liking my 8100T but had that sinking feeling like the rest of you when I saw the new units and cool features announced.

AlexM555 gives me reason to believe...
    For now, I've had to assume that because Navigon has been good about previous feature updates (ie. the much welcomed free MN7 update for my earlier 2120max), they would also be doing the right thing and eventually update the 8100T with the new features. There should be nothing hardware wise to prevent that, so it only makes sense that the new features come to the 8100T.

Unfortunately for the 8100T owners, updates take time. It also makes sense for Navigon to lay low on any public 8100T update announcements, since that would compete with the hype surrounding the new units at a high-profile trade show.

To cover the bases (ie. maintain new device hype and calm the nerves of 8100T owners), it would be good for Navigon to trickle out some 8100T update info to those concerned through channels like AlexM555 and this forum.

It would be great if there was a CeBIT attendee that could press for some clarification on these update questions and report here. So far we know that the European 7210 will get an update similar to what we are discussing for the 8100T, which I'm hoping is a sign of things to come here.

I absolutely like the look of the new features shown at the Navigon Intl CeBIT info site and would like to have them all yesterday... if I had to choose features based on my personal needs, I would ask for 'MyRoutes' and the 'Professional Voice Control' along with the spoken traffic and enhanced traffic routing info screens followed by clickable POIs. 3D buildings are welcome, but lower on the priority level in my world.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    To cover the bases (ie. maintain new device hype and calm the nerves of 8100T owners), it would be good for Navigon to trickle out some 8100T update info to those concerned through channels like AlexM555 and this forum.

Yep, that would have made me keep my 8100T insted of returning during the 30 day return period. Ya, I might have wasted some money in the return process, but have been misled by phone converstaions about upcoming updates that never happen or are 6 months down the line, or not having taken place at all (i.e. my truck tunner program). Updates never came. I hope that NAVIGON will keep thier "word" as that is all we have since there is nothing written right now. It seems like they are taking care of the majority of their market, the mid and lower end devices but forgetting about the low volume 8100 people. Thus far, they do have a track record of updating their products far better than other mfgs. How they handle this update proceedure will effect future purchasers coming back to purchase their newest products or going to some other mfg. I'm hoping they take care of us. The 8100 really needs something besides the larger screen to justify the $200 premium! A stainless steel BEZZEL is not something to make it cost more that a few dollars more. Stamped stainless steel door handles that are tripple chrom plated, larger, more complex, only cost like $40 each. How much does a simple square bezzel add to the cost? I don't, IMHO, think a larger screen (not much larger) screen and a trim piece make it a $200 more unit. The unit needs something else to make it stand out more. In the very near past, it was the terrain view with elevation maps was a significant feature. Enough so for me to purchase. Now they all have it.
  • Since my 8100T was on order as Navigon made the announcement, of course I am unhappy to not have the latest features. If Navigon takes the high road and offers a free or low cost software upgrade I might become a lifetime customer. If they don't this will probably be the last Navigon product I ever own. (Just as my Garmin 550c is the last Garmin I ever plan on owning)
    - - Silveradocyn
  • serpa4 0 Points
    I think the will or sure hope they do. I decided not to chance it by returning within the 30 days.
  • zekec 0 Points
    I could be wrong, but it looks like Costco (Canada) may soon be getting ready to offer the 8100T.

http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10320629&whse=BCCA&topnav=cm_re=1-_-Quad3-_-oes226&browse=&lang=en-CA

Didn't see anything yet at the US site to match though.
    The more 8100 units out there, the more likely the updates for us current owners, I would presume. Go Canada :-)