This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Firmware 8.302 being offered by HOME

BigwigXXX 0 Points
edited November -1 in TomTom Car Forum
I just connected my GO930 and was offered 8.302.

Comments

• Tim 1467 Points
    Note the release notes.
    Fixes faltering computer voices
  • j.reed 0 Points
    Note the release notes.
    Fixes faltering computer voices
    Though just this morning I was given instructions by TomTom to install 8.010 to fix the voices. I'm installing now and will let everyone know if it actually is fixed.

edit: Everything is all better!
  • Hey all you lucky people that have stuttering issues ... if you can post back whether this update fixes it for you or not, that would be great. I've been waiting months (literally) for this fix before I purchase a 730 or 930, so this is great news if it works.

... 'course Navigon just announced the 7300, so I've got another decision to make. :?
  • rav 0 Points
    Upgraded from 8.010 to 8.302 and now the computer voices or any other English voices do not work. MP3 music plays just fine.
    Any solutions? Thanks. :?
  • dhn 329 Points
    Did you try a pin reset??
  • rav 0 Points
    Did the pin reset twice and factory reset as well, but no go. Also all the english language files under the folder 'LoquendoTTS' had files dated on April 2008.
  • rav 0 Points
    Maybe I need new dated computer TTS voices. Where do I get Kate, English UK, computer voice or any other computer voices on the Internet?
  • I only went on a short drive at lunch but 8.302 seems fine, no stuttering or other issues that I could tell.

I was using Susan V7 and 8.25 Maps

Operate my Go does not work within HOME (PC)
  • Tim 1467 Points
    Maybe I need new dated computer TTS voices. Where do I get Kate, English UK, computer voice or any other computer voices on the Internet?
    You get them from within TomTom HOME.
  • rav 0 Points
    Thanks. They all work now.
  • Malouff 0 Points
    WOW you guys are correct a new firmware - fingers crossed
    www.tomtom.com/6141
    TomTom FAQ:6141

Here are the direct download links for people that don't use home.
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.go530-go730-go930.CAB-navcore-GO.cab

Looking at the included bootloaderversion.txt
    I see that it still is suppose to have 5.5015

I hope those of us that tried the x40 will not have problems with running a different bootloader.
    Those that tried 8.320 WORK should have the same 5.5015
    If you did the x40 8.203 or 8.204 then you will have 5.5106
    And if you did the x40 8.310 you will have 5.5112

I need to install 8.302 now and look forward to seeing positive reports for this new firmware this week.
  • infama 0 Points

Go to page 4 of the "why not try NC 8.204?" thread.

• I hope those of us that tried the x40 will not have problems with running a different bootloader.
    Nope, I let HOME install it over the top of the x40 firmware without any issues........ so far :-)

I kind of like the X40 icons so may actually go back once I have tested out 8.302 more thoroughly.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    One mention of the remote being disabled on the 920's. Might watch for that and see if it's just an isolated instance.
  • jimbir 0 Points
    I have a 720 and all I'm being offered on TT home is update 8.3
  • Malouff 0 Points
    Nope, I let HOME install it over the top of the x40 firmware without any issues........ so far :-)
    I did not mean installing the firmware.
    I meant I hope having a different bootloader does not cause things to behave differently.
    After all the other bootloaders were designed for the x40 not the x20/x30

Why was 8.302 created on Wednesday 25 February 2009-17:33:33 and not released until today?

There are apparently 10829 changes according to release.nfo
    8.301 had 285359 and 8.302 has 296188
    I don't know anything previous as release.nfo was introduced with 8.301

File differences between a 8.301 install and new 8.302 cab
    New release.nfo in the TomTom-Cfg folder
    The original antitheftw.bmp in the root
    The NEW ttsystem in the root

7.93 MB of changed files if you count the antitheftw.bmp yet we got a 36.1 MB CAB again will a lot of redundant data with TimeStamp changes.

So here is a heads up if you use a custom antitheftw.bmp it will get replaced because TomTom decided to include it in the CAB.
  • Malouff 0 Points
    What version do you have installed now?

Did you try installing the offered 8.3 update and was 8.302 offered after that?

I know there is a 8.302 for the x20 here is the cab
    http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/navcore/8.302.gox20.CAB-navcore-GO.cab
  • One mention of the remote being disabled on the 920's. Might watch for that and see if it's just an isolated instance.
    I have a TT 920, and just downloaded the 8.302 update. So far, the remote is still working properly.
  • Operate my Go does not work within HOME (PC)
    I just downloaded the update and for the first time in months Operate My Go does work on macs again. When I clicked on it Home said a file needed to be downloaded which it did and then the function once again worked.
    John
  • Tim 1467 Points
    I had the opposite happen... Operate My GO has been working fine until the application update today. I downloaded the new emulator file but just get errors trying to use the function.
  • Mine functions with both our 920 and 930 after the file downloaded. It crashed the program once but when I relaunched it it did seem to work properly. For me it hasn't functioned for so long I don't really remember the last time it did.
    John
  • Shooter 0 Points
    I downloaded 8.302, disconnected, did a pin reset, and now I cannot operate my GO 930 from TT Home. I'll find out tomorrow if it fixes the TTS problem. Hopefully, by then, I'll be able to get it to work on TT Home. :roll:
  • Shooter 0 Points
    The stuttering problem is better than before, but still not fixed. TTS was not a major issue for me, but I've been checking it out lately to see what ya'll have been fussin' about.

I don't know about any other PNDs, but if TTS was important to me, I would not recommend either the GO 730 or GO 930. I may be too picky, but as far as I'm concerned, TomTom's text-to-speech is not ready for prime time.

I have not been able to determine if there is a pattern of names that it cannot handle. So far, it has failed on:
    "Bryant Irvin" (cut off all but the "t" in "Bryant")
    "White Settlement Road" (cut off the "Wh" in "White")
    "Windwood Trail" (cut off the "W" in "Windwood")
    "Oakmont Boulevard" (cut off the "Oa" in "Oakmont", but prounounced "Boulevard" without any problems)

However, it handled "State Highway 183 northbound" without a hitch. :roll:
  • dhn 329 Points
    Susan, the computer voice I use, also garbles some words......I find it humourous and don't really dwell on it; mind you, I never had the stuttering by her, either.

Have you found all computer voices tend to garble the same words or are some better than others?
  • Shooter 0 Points
    Susan, the computer voice I use, also garbles some words......I find it humourous and don't really dwell on it; mind you, I never had the stuttering by her, either.

Have you found all computer voices tend to garble the same words or are some better than others?
    I'll try a different voice tomorrow.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    I don't know that's the fault of any particular Navcore version. I didn't go back and check but I think I commented on the clipping of some instructions in my review of the 930 back in June of last year when I first bought it. Not a big issue, but I didn't find TT's speech quality quite as good as Garmins.
  • Malouff 0 Points
    I didn't find TT's speech quality quite as good as Garmins.
    I agree that Garmins TTS Engine is better.

Shooter I do know that the maps do have a shorthand for some of the directions that get replaced before spoken.
    But none of those replacements are for things like Bryant or Windwood etc

I am also thinking that it is not a parsing error causing this.
    Parsing meaning extracting the map directions and converting to send the directions to the Loquendo TTS Engine.

I think what you are sometimes noticing is that there can be a delay were there is silence for the Oak part for example and you will just hear Mont Boulevard or if there is a longer delay you will hear just Boulevard.

Sounds like there are not enough resources to have the sound played when requested so there is silence but then the rest of it is heard when some resources are freed.
  • infama 0 Points

I'll try a different voice tomorrow.
    Try Kate.

Susan is normally the worst, as it is the smallest of the 4 TTS voice packages.
  • dhn 329 Points
    But in my mind she is soooooooo cute, infama! :lol:
  • Shooter 0 Points
    I am also thinking that it is not a parsing error causing this.
    Parsing meaning extracting the map directions and converting to send the directions to the Loquendo TTS Engine.

I think what you are sometimes noticing is that there can be a delay were there is silence for the Oak part for example and you will just hear Mont Boulevard or if there is a longer delay you will hear just Boulevard.

Sounds like there are not enough resources to have the sound played when requested so there is silence but then the rest of it is heard when some resources are freed.

It sounds to me like an inexperienced radio operator who starts talking before pressing the transmit key. Only it is not consistent.
  • Shooter 0 Points
    Try Kate.

Susan is normally the worst, as it is the smallest of the 4 TTS voice packages.
    I realized today I did not have any other computer voices on my GO 930. I downloaded "Kate" tonight and will try that voice tomorrow. Thanks.
  • Shooter 0 Points
    edited March 2009
    I tried the "Kate" voice today; it was not any better at pronouncing street names than Susan. Directions for both voices are fine.

Some of the street names were so garbled, that I'm not sure I would have understood if I didn't already know what is was. I would not want to rely soley on my GO 930's TTS capablility, especially in an area I'm not familiar with.
  • Malouff 0 Points
    Some of the street names were so garbled, that I'm not sure I would have understood I didn't already know what is was. I would not want to rely solely on my GO 930's TTS capability, especially in an area I'm not familiar with.
    By any chance have you ever heard a Garmin's TTS Engine?

I don't know if they use different engines for the different classes of models like TomTom does. But my friends Garmin TTS sounded superior to my TomTom's.

Speaking of the different engine used for the different models has anyone heard how a lower end TomTom sounds?
  • infama 0 Points
    I tried the "Kate" voice today; it was not any better at pronouncing street names than Susan. Directions for both voices are fine.

Some of the street names were so garbled, that I'm not sure I would have understood if I didn't already know what is was. I would not want to rely soley on my GO 930's TTS capablility, especially in an area I'm not familiar with.
    Strange, I dont get this much in Europe, and I have complex French names here!
  • kace 0 Points

I don't know if they use different engines for the different classes of models like TomTom does. But my friends Garmin TTS sounded superior to my TomTom's.
    I have a TT 720 and a Garmin 760 and the Garmin is far far superior in it's pronunciation. It's not even close.

I just tried Kate instead of Susan, and she's just as pathetic!

Both Kate and Susan sound like the "Aquaphibians" on the old 60's marionet shjow "Stingray"
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Infama, I've been telling you the same for months, but you never believed me :lol:
  • egale 0 Points
    Funny I have Garmin, Tomtom and Navigon. They are all bad at times. I don't really have a preference for one over the other.
  • gatorguy 325 Points
    Egale, I've yet to try a Navigon. Gotta get around to it.
  • infama 0 Points
    edited March 2009
    Funny I have Garmin, Tomtom and Navigon. They are all bad at times. I don't really have a preference for one over the other.
    I agree...what I have been trying to tell Gator.

Perhaps the others have a bad implementation?

My Kate is doing an excellent job with complex French names like Avenue des Commune Reunies or Route de la Industrie and sounds almost FRENCH!
  • egale 0 Points
    Navigon does some nice things but has its share of problems as well. I am hoping to get back to Tomtom now that the stuttering is finally fixed. I still find I prefer the Tomtom. I only wish they would have a brighter screen because in bright daylight, it is almost impossible to read.
  • jimbir 0 Points
    What version do you have installed now?
    I have ver. 7.221 installed now. I've downloaded ver 8.32.cab but am reluctant to install it because I've heard it still has the stuttering problem. Do you know if thats true? If I were to upgrade, should it be 8.302 or 8.32?

Thanks Jim
  • dhn 329 Points
    Well, 8.302 was meant for the 720 to fix the stuttering. 8.32 never was meant for the consumer 720 market. The fact it reduced stuttering was sort of a bonus.
  • jimbir 0 Points
    Well, 8.302 was meant for the 720 to fix the stuttering. 8.32 never was meant for the consumer 720 market. The fact it reduced stuttering was sort of a bonus.
    You're saying 8.302 is the one to install then?
  • dhn 329 Points
    Yes...
  • Mathew J 0 Points
    The stuttering problem is better than before, but still not fixed. TTS was not a major issue for me, but I've been checking it out lately to see what ya'll have been fussin' about.
    Stuttering is totally fixed for me with no apparent loss of other functionality, so much for those who thought it was a hardware limitation.
  • egale 0 Points

Stuttering is totally fixed for me with no apparent loss of other functionality, so much for those who thought it was a hardware limitation.
    I am still not 100% sure. What I have noticed that although the audio stuttering is completely gone, I now see some screen stuttering. In area's where there are a lot of turns and instructions, the screen is lagging way behind the instructions. It almost looks like a video stutter at times. It is not nearly as annoying as the verbal stuttering as the map remains readable plus thw screen finally catches up with the commands.

I think these units are really maxed out as far as hardware is concerned. Fixing the stuttering means taking resources away elsewhere. My 920 is finally useable but any more features will require more hardware resources.
  • Mathew J 0 Points
    I am still not 100% sure. What I have noticed that although the audio stuttering is completely gone, I now see some screen stuttering. In area's where there are a lot of turns and instructions, the screen is lagging way behind the instructions. It almost looks like a video stutter at times. It is not nearly as annoying as the verbal stuttering as the map remains readable plus thw screen finally catches up with the commands.

I think these units are really maxed out as far as hardware is concerned. Fixing the stuttering means taking resources away elsewhere. My 920 is finally useable but any more features will require more hardware resources.
    Even with the older fw I noticed screen delay, and I have also witnessed it on models from other makes as well, especially in those conditions.

And we are not engineers here...so who knows exactly what the problem was....could have been a memory leak in their application

The big thing is the stuttering is 100% gone and all of the existing functionality is still present...for those like me that got a 720 under $200 that is an amazing feature set for a rock bottom price.

Also what other features would one want on these units within reason...

I remember many here saying that they couldn't fix the units without turning off options and crippling the devices...seems like tomtom managed a fix afterall.
  • The stuttering problem is better than before, but still not fixed. TTS was not a major issue for me, but I've been checking it out lately to see what ya'll have been fussin' about.

Didn't you LOSE FM transmitting of instructions with the 8.302 update?
  • Mathew J 0 Points

Didn't you LOSE FM transmitting of instructions with the 8.302 update?
    My understanding was that this was not from any technical limitation but rather legal....so it is a feature that could be easily enabled, personally it isn't something I care about FWIW.

• Didn't you LOSE FM transmitting of instructions with the 8.302 update?

My understanding was that this was not from any technical limitation but rather legal....so it is a feature that could be easily enabled, personally it isn't something I care about FWIW.
    Except there is no "easy" way to enable it. Easy way would be to downgrade to old firmware and old maps.

Garmin did the logical thing and made it an enabling option in the countries affected. This is not the route TomTom took. TomTom decided to punish the entire world and remove it (all without disclaiming it anywhere as they continue to advertise this as an included feature).