How to make GPS Suction Cup Mounts Stick

Tim 1297 Points
edited July 18 in GPS Discussions
Suction Cup Tips

Over the years I've become really good at getting GPS suction cup mounts to stick, and I've learned quite a few tricks along the way. Often you can just take the mount out of the box, press it up against the windshield, and drive away. Other times you might not be so lucky. If your suction cup has lots its suck, and you are beginning to think the mount sucks, here are some tips.

Clean Dry Surfaces Work Best
Make sure both the inside of the suction cup and your windshield are clean and dry. To clean both surfaces, I like to use rubbing alcohol since it tends to dry quickly, although glass cleaners will work well too. Particularly if your mount has recently fallen you might see a "ring around the mount" on your windshield. So make sure both surfaces are clean and dry.

Temperature Can Have an Impact Too
If your mount has been inside your air conditioned home and you take it out to your car which is 130° baking in the sun, you might not have optimal results. You may want to wait until morning when your car is cooler and closer to the temperature of the mount. Likewise if is the middle of winter and you have been playing with your mount in front of your fireplace inside, you might want to wait until after your next drive to get the windshield relatively warm. The more similar the temperatures are between the mount and windshield, and the closer those temperatures are to "room" temperature, the better results you will have.

A Little Moisture Can Help Keep the Seal
I know, I know, I just said above that you should keep both surfaces clean and dry, but that was referring to whatever you might have used to clean the cup. A tiny bit of water (not drenched) on the suction cup can help it keep the seal. Spread the drops of water around with your finger. If no water is handy and nobody is looking, a little spit can work well too. A tiny bit of Petroleum Jelly (aka Vaseline) can work really well too. The key is to not get too much moisture... just barely enough to coat the surface. Again, whatever you use, use a tiny amount and try to spread it around with your finger to just barely coat the entire surface.

Apply Firm Pressure and Hold
Find your target on the windshield, press it on, and apply firm pressure to the center of the mount. What you are doing, and want to do, is to push all of the trapped air between the mount and the windshield out from behind the mount. Kinda like squishing the air from a whoopie-cushion but there will be no sound. Try not to let the mount slide (if it slides easily you might have used too much moisture) and keep firm pressure for about fifteen seconds.

Drive Happy, Keep a Cloth in Your Car
Using this process should ensure a good seal and make your mount stick. Don't forget that thieves know what GPS mounts look like and if they see one in your car, they might break in to look for the GPS. The same even goes for the "ring around the mount" left on your windshield. Even finding that ring might give them enough incentive to break-in looking for the GPS you are hiding in the center console or glove compartment, so keep a cloth handy to wipe away any signs of the GPS if you must leave your car unattended.

Comments

• May I add:
    Lift the swivel ball to the highest postion, mount the GPS as close to the dashboard as you can. When the GPS droops it will lean on to the dash then stays there.
  • All these suggestions are helpful, but I find that cleaning the windshield and the suction cup with isopropyl alcohol worked wonders when all else seemed to fail for me.. :)
  • If you cannot -legal or otherwwise- mount to winshield i.e Chevy Venture and must mount on dash, the disk wit the 3M adhesive is not very reliable on that partic suface. Disk has to be narrowed down a bit on two sides and then glue to the dash tray wit epoxy. Stock rubber mat in the tray will disguise disk when demounting and hiding GPS unit. Positions about right for me
  • All these suggestions are helpful, but I find that cleaning the windshield and the suction cup with isopropyl alcohol worked wonders when all else seemed to fail for me.. :)
    I had just purchased a TT one 3rd Edition and was getting pretty frustrated that the suction cup would not stick to the supplied plastic dash mount disc. I used INDUSTRIAL STRENGTH velcro on both the dash and disc to firmly attach to the dash. worked like a charm. be sure as mentioned above to clean both surfaces with alcohol pad. It is pretty easy to remove disc from dash and re-stick it to take off mount and hide it from prying eyes.

Hope this helps,
    Larry

P.S. In California and Minnesota in the US you cannot mount legally to windshield, but you can to dash as long as it does not block vision to road view.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    Good addition, thanks Larry!
  • Has anyone tried one of those inexpensive vent clips?

I'm not talking about the expensive 2 piece ones but the cheaper one piece that clips right to your vent. It sure seems like a no brainer to me because in both of my cars it would give me a clear unobsrtructed view out the windshield and also bring my small TT One LE a little closer to see it better.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    I'll have to check, but I think I just got a box of those in for review in addition to the more expensive ProClip mounts.
  • I took a chance and for $9.90 plus shipping I ordered the one for the TomTom One here. For those with other types of GPS devices, there is a link to their store down further on the page. Sure beats spending $50+ dollars for a custom one that only works in one of my cars as long as it is half way decent.
  • If I always put the windshield mount in my car, during the freeze winter and the hot summer, will the silicon mount degrade quickly? Do I need to bring it home as I do with the Tomtom unit? Thanks for reply.
  • Tim 1297 Points
    A few of the Garmin mounts tend to do that for some reason, but I haven't seen that with most mounts.
  • Thank you very much, Tim.
  • ………and when all else fails get the bean-bag mount.
  • ....or a cheap vent mount like Mount Guys carry. I personally prefer the vent mount to all other kinds because it keeps it out of my line of sight looking out the windshield and it gets the small unit sloser to my eyes if I need to read something small.
  • ....or a cheap vent mount like Mount Guys carry. I personally prefer the vent mount to all other kinds because it keeps it out of my line of sight looking out the windshield and it gets the small unit sloser to my eyes if I need to read something small.

Jsut don't try installing a vent mount on a 1999 XLT Ford Supercab truck, the clip you shove in the vent are so thick, they will break your vent louvers.... I had to return my Mount Guys vent mount.....

Jsut don't try installing a vent mount on a 1999 XLT Ford Supercab truck, the clip you shove in the vent are so thick, they will break your vent louvers.... I had to return my Mount Guys vent mount.....
    I agree that it is a little tricky to do the install and you have to squeeze the clip as you push it in carefully. Because it is so cheap and the GPS easily removes from the vent mount, I plan on getting a second mount for the other car so I don't have to remove it from the vent.

I agree that it is a little tricky to do the install and you have to squeeze the clip as you push it in carefully. Because it is so cheap and the GPS easily removes from the vent mount, I plan on getting a second mount for the other car so I don't have to remove it from the vent.
    Yea, I never broke one but I knew if I kept removing it I would, besides I like my cold air coming out vent blowing on me.....
  • Rotorguy 0 Points
    After my 750 kept taking the high dive from windshield to floor I decided to use the dash disc with the same results. (Kept a small pillow placed to catch my falling Nuvi) Went with the bean bag and it works for me but I'm stuck with the disc on the dash of my truck. Any suggestions on how to remove the disc would be appreciated. Rotorguy
  • hi everyone,

here's what i do to restore suction:

make sure that the windshield glass is clean as well as the suction cups - isopropyl alcohol works great.

to rejuvenate the suction cups get glycerin from any drug store and apply a minuscule amount of glycerin to the suction cups . . . they become very pliable, just like new!
  • jloh 0 Points

P.S. In California and Minnesota in the US you cannot mount legally to windshield, but you can to dash as long as it does not block vision to road view.
    I realize a couple years have passed since you wrote this, but yes it is legal now to mount a GPS on your windshield in California. Here's the law:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm

Pay attention to item 12 that has been highlighted.
  • Take a length of dental floss and saw it back and forth under the disc. It will cut the sealant disc.
  • After my 750 kept taking the high dive from windshield to floor I decided to use the dash disc with the same results. (Kept a small pillow placed to catch my falling Nuvi) Went with the bean bag and it works for me but I'm stuck with the disc on the dash of my truck. Any suggestions on how to remove the disc would be appreciated. Rotorguy
    Heat the disc with a hair dryer or heat gun. This will loosen the glue and let you take it off. This also works with mailing labels on boxes you get from UPS and other sticker type labels that aren't glued on using some sort of liquid glue.
  • Would Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline) do the same thing? (Tiny amount only perhaps heated slightly before use)
  • Has anyone tried just mounting the unit (Maestro 4700) on the dash using Velcro strips on the front dash and on the unit. I was considering this but wondered if the Velcro would interfere with the antenna? It was certainly be easy to take it off and replace it. The Velcro could be replaced if it wore down. I don 't think it would call that much attention to a burglar to see a strip of Velcro; especially if it matches he dash color.
  • 17A 0 Points
    I use a RAM suction mount to hold mt Garmin 76CSX on the front deck of my kayak. I make sure both the cup and the deck are dry and I have never had a problem. It's been left on for days during multi-day trips in wind, rain, sun etc. I always hit it several times a day with my paddle by mistake and it has never become unlodged. My boat weighs 54 lbs and I have even taken hold off the mount and lifted the boat off the ground and it never came off. Just for insurance thouigh I tie a safety lanyard to the base of the mount at the deck lines just in case.
  • I have a garmin and use a suction cup mount on the windshield that keeps falling off. It's to the point now that even if it's been on a good 20 minutes without falling I can't stop anticipating it falling again. As soon as I forget to anticipate it falling.... it falls and I'm startled for a brief second before wanting to pick it up off the floor just to slam it back down to the floor again out of frustration. Anyways, I was thinking about going with the glue pad that the mount came with instead, but was just wondering how heat resistant the glue is. It can get baking inside the car during the day and I don't want the glue becoming weakened by the heat, and the mount eventually falling off again. Any experience with glue mounts exposed to high heat?
  • dhn 202 Points
    Check out the various options at mountguys.com
  • I have the Garmin friction mount bean bag, lays on top of dash and very solid. $20. Never even considered the windshield mount and now some states are cracking down on obstructed visibility.
    I have a garmin and use a suction cup mount on the windshield that keeps falling off. It's to the point now that even if it's been on a good 20 minutes without falling I can't stop anticipating it falling again. As soon as I forget to anticipate it falling.... it falls and I'm startled for a brief second before wanting to pick it up off the floor just to slam it back down to the floor again out of frustration. Anyways, I was thinking about going with the glue pad that the mount came with instead, but was just wondering how heat resistant the glue is. It can get baking inside the car during the day and I don't want the glue becoming weakened by the heat, and the mount eventually falling off again. Any experience with glue mounts exposed to high heat?
  • I would have gone with the bean mount, but unfortunately the garmin gpsmap 62s series only works with the suction mount.
  • estherkim 0 Points
    thanks for the tips!
    another very simple trick is to blow on the bottom of the suction mount.. like one would blow on a window to make it foggy..
    i've seen my brother do that a couple of times and it seemed to always do the trick
  • joester 0 Points
    OK, this sounds a bit weird but it works wonders.

Make sure the area to mount (IE windshield in accordance to pertinent laws) is clean.
    Rub your finger on the side of your nose. It will pick up a tiny bit of facial grease. rub your finger on the suction cup to lube it. Apply the mount as normal. Being a natural grease, it will not degrade the silicone.

I have tried breathing on the cup, a small amount of spit, water, ect... and the GPS takes a nose dive every time. A little rub on the side of my nose, and it stays where I want it. A slight prying of the side of the cup breaks the seal easily.

I left mine mounted for a month and it came off without extraordinary measures and it wouldn't come off by pulling on it.
  • Look for this ez mount by October. It will solve all the problems
    of GPS users. Takes the GPS out of the window and puts it
    on the dash..
  • Tim 1297 Points
    Are you affiliated with the company? (Disclosure is always appreciated.)
  • Yes I am associated with the company.And a GPS user.
  • For dash mounting my Garmin 260 I have found this compact mount to be very reliable. The small footprint makes finding a location on the dash pretty easy. It is the IG-PSTARA: i.Trek Garmin Nuvi Sticky Mount. I have no affiliation with the company. I just like this product. Plus, it is very inexpensive.

I bought one over three years ago and a second one for a different vehicle a year ago. I prepped the surface with denatured alcohol before application. Both are rock solid.
  • thanks for the tips!
    another very simple trick is to blow on the bottom of the suction mount.. like one would blow on a window to make it foggy..
  • drugo 41 Points
    Tim
    thanks a lot!
    sadly there is not bookmarks in this forum
  • Tim 1297 Points
    sadly there is not bookmarks in this forum
    I bet your browser has them. ;)
  • Boyd 1359 Points
    You might also want to take a look at the four "sticky" threads at the top of this forum which cover many frequently asked questions. I have now added this thread to general Information and troubleshooting.