The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

My computer does not show my GPS hardware plugged in

I am trying to access my C340 Garmin on my computer so I can put in an unlock Code (I am getting a "can't unlock maps" message when I turn the GPS on--I have the Code needed), but I can't see the GPS when I go to My Computer and view my installed hardware devices. It is not listed anywhere. When I plugged it in, I got the"found new hardware" message and then I let Windows XP install it with the right driver automatically. The Device list shows the Garmin in USB devices as properly installed and "working properly", but I can't find the hardware anywhere to access its folders to put in the unlock code. When I plug it in or unplug it with the USB cable, it sounds the chime sound that it is supposed to when you plug or unplug USB storage devices. I have tried other USB ports and even went through the same procedure on my other PC with the same result. So the device is recognized by the computer but not visible. Any suggestions? Thanks

Comments

• It will not show as an external hard drive like the Nuvi line.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    No guarantee it will work, but try mapping the drive.

Click Start.
    Go to Settings and click on Control Panel (I prefer Classic view myself).
    Click Administrative Tools, then click on Computer Management.
    Click Storage and then Disk Management
    In the Computer Management window, double-click Storage, then Disk Management.
    Click on the Garmin disk drive
    Right-click and select Change Drive Letter and Path.
    Click Edit, select a drive letter from the list
    Click OK
  • gosox13 0 Points
    It will not show as an external hard drive like the Nuvi line.
    right. I was told that by Garmin support. They had me instead sign on to their live site, they then took over control of my computer remotely, unlocked the maps and updated my firmware. Pretty good tech support!
  • tomj03 0 Points
    Click on the Garmin disk drive
    The PC won't see the C330, C340 series as a drive - Gator.
    On the handhelds like the 60CSx I have to go to the Interface menu and set it as USB device before it's recognized. There is no such option in the C330.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Thanks for confirming TomJ. I suspected it would not.
  • esse 0 Points
    I just dealt with this probem. You have to use a garmin patch cord.
  • j4stall 0 Points
    I have an older StreetPilot i5, but my computer will not recognize it. I'm trying to download updated maps. I am using the supplied Garmin cable, and tried two different USB ports, with no luck. I also tried a different USB cable, and got the same result, so I don't think the cable is bad. I do not hear the chime for connecting a new device. Connecting my digital camera through the same USB port does produce the chime, and I can see that device in My Computer. I've tried several times, but the GPS is not recognized. Any suggestions?
  • Coggins 0 Points
    It will not show as an external hard drive like the Nuvi line.
    right. I was told that by Garmin support. They had me instead sign on to their live site, they then took over control of my computer remotely, unlocked the maps and updated my firmware. Pretty good tech support!
    That is pretty kool way to solve the issue :!:
  • J4, did you every resolve that problem. I have the same issue with my StreetPilot III. My computer will not recognize it. I don't have a serial cable, so had to use a serial/usb adapter cable, which has its own software. Installed that but still no recognition. Garmin is suggesting I try another computer to see if I get the same result. Guess I'll have to test it on my laptop which runs Windows Vista.