This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Possible New Maps? [HP]

ambuman2009 0 Points
Could this be a source of new maps for ipaq 314.

http://www.ipmart-forum.com/showthread.php?t=339120

Also try and get the following,

http://www.cybersuricate.com/Default.aspx?product=5

IGO8 working on pc and files seem to be similar to Ipaq 314.

Any clever people out there that can make this work.

If this has been suggested before I apologise.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    Check out the forums at naviextras.com............
  • johnb 0 Points
    It seems Naviextras are in the process of supporting the iPAQ 31x through their new Toolbox software (replacement for the Content Manager). No official announcement of support yet but it has been possible to download maps and 3D data and install it successfully. No software updates yet.

But you should be aware of the possible release of iGO v8 R3 in the near future? Hopefully it will be available for purchase for iPAQ 31x users using the Toolbox.

The potential problem is v8 R3 cannot use the maps which are used by the current iPAQ iGO 31x v8 R1 software so it will be bundled with new maps. Therefore any map purchase now (especially when Naviextras don't officially support the 31x) might be wasted money if the software upgrade becomes available.

That does assume Naviextras get their pricing right. With the price of sat navs dropping it may be users opt for a new device rather than updating an old device for a similar price.

These links probably explain all that has happened with the Toolbox and with HP Support:

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=96823&whichpage=77

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1319288

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01684150&dimid=1117343680&dicid=alr_mar09
    &jumpid=em_alerts/us/mar09/all/xbu/emailsubid/mrm/mcc
    /loc/rbu_category_AdvisoryHPiPAQ3/alerts

https://www.naviextras.com/shop/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1869&offset=10

http://www.gpsreview.net/hp-exits-pnd-market/#more-2225
  • patruns 10 Points
    But you should be aware of the possible release of iGO v8 R3 in the near future? Hopefully it will be available for purchase for iPAQ 31x users using the Toolbox.
    I believe naviextras has said maps and software will be updated separately, not bundled. The problem I see with a possible R3 upgrade is that HP modified the software files. My expectations are that we will be able to purchase maps and 3D packages that work with R1, but will probably be left out in the cold where the software is concerned.
  • infama 0 Points

I believe naviextras has said maps and software will be updated separately, not bundled. The problem I see with a possible R3 upgrade is that HP modified the software files. My expectations are that we will be able to purchase maps and 3D packages that work with R1, but will probably be left out in the cold where the software is concerned.
    Not sure...you may be correct, but if you could get an upgrade to R3, NOT tied to an SD card, but actually on the flash drive, it "could" be possible to overlay the HP Nav program as the files structure is essentially identical.

One would simply have to replace the Nav folder with the R3 igo8 folder, rename igo8.exe to nav.exe and Oasis should handle it in the same manner as before. You could also put the Contents folder on an SD card and modify the sys.txt to point to the sdmmc location and keep the maps there. The benefit of this is to have more space for extra maps.

In theory this should work...
  • patruns 10 Points
    Tip toeing gently in, I downloaded and installed the free POI CAM file for the US and it went without a hitch. I'm waiting for a response from naviextras.com on whether I can download and install an additional map on an empty SD card. I want Europe (or at least Eastern Europe) and I do not want to have to transfer all my North American data to my PC first to make room.

A little at a time............
  • johnb 0 Points
    Since Naviextras don't admit to supporting the iPAQ31x yet, I think I know the answer :wink:
  • patruns 10 Points
    Since Naviextras don't admit to supporting the iPAQ31x yet, I think I know the answer :wink:
    Not sure I agree....yet. iGo comes on an SD card for PDAs and is also on the internal flash drives of PNDs. I doubt they would require all the supported PNDs to temporarily move their internal maps to make room for additional maps. When you buy a map and install it, the process is supposed to lock the map to wherever you install it to prevent piracy. But, we'll see how it goes.......... :?
  • johnb 0 Points
    Someone has tried to load the Europe maps onto an SD card and it failed.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1321000
  • patruns 10 Points
    Someone has tried to load the Europe maps onto an SD card and it failed.

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1321000
    Yep, I just read that. I am still waiting for Nav N Go to respond to my inquiry about it. So far, no acknowledgment at all.........
  • infama 0 Points
    Actually, it did not "fail" at all.

The problem was that that poster wanted to load the new extra maps on an SC card. This is not being allowed, due to the copy protection protocol that NNG uses. The software and maps are tied to a specific device ID, ie the SD card ID or the ipaq device ID.

As Naviextra is just an update service and not an original seller, it can only allow uploads to a prior approved device that was originally authorized in the original purchase, be it ipaq31x or igo8 SD card with SW and maps. Only these are considered valid storage devices and thus a virgin SD card would be considered invalid. Based on the foregoing, the ONLY option would be to store one set of maps on the computer and insatll the new set.

Here is where I am not sure...after doing the above store and install on your computer (not on the NaviExtra toolkit), you MAY then be able to copy the stored files to a blank SD card and have the nav.exe executable read maps on the SD card by changing the lookup path in the sys.txt file???

Maybe you can try this?
  • patruns 10 Points
    If I recall in one of the posts by a moderator at naviextras, when you go to install the map after the purchase, it stalls with a license that it ties to wherever you put it. Once you do that, you are married forever to that location, be it SD card or internal memory. Someone asked how that worked and the moderator said "you don't have to worry about that". That leads me to believe that the license is unique to the map purchase and not what you are using it with. Of course I am sure that part of the process is that it "links" it to the software part as well, thereby preventing you from using the card in more than one device.

Think about it, if the intent is to sell you additional maps on a supported device, why would they force you to remove other maps? You are looking to add maps, not replace them. That is how the iPAQ was originally intended to function, as I am sure other supported devices were intended as well. In fact, HP did briefly sell additional maps on SD cards in the UK.
  • infama 0 Points
    Patruns,

I think you have a basic misunderstanding on how iGo8 works.

NNG (and HP in the past) sells maps WITH SOFTWARE on SD cards. Therefore, when you inserted the SD cards and rebooted, the SW on the card took over and would read those maps associated with it. This is why the SD cards are relatively expensive, in that they are SW and maps together.

So you would indeed have US maps on a 310 and for example EU maps on an SD card and still would be able to avoid using a computer to shift maps. Naviextra is there to upgrade the maps that originally came with your storage device, not to add new maps to the current setup, except of you have some left over space on resident flash or SD card and only add a few indiv. countries. the SD slot on the ipaq31x was meant for MEDIA files, not Navigation files...although in theory it could handle excess Navigation content.

Apparently, NNG is moving to a new form of protection that will do it differently. I will search around and see if I can find that speculation somewhere online, and report back later.
  • patruns 10 Points
    So what you are saying is that the SD cards that HP sold in the UK for additional maps included the software all over again, inclusive of all the files necessary to run all applications (including Bluetooth)? The Eastern Europe map comes on a 512MB card (FB132AA). I'm not sure that is large enough for the map, POIs and all the navigation & other software as well.
  • infama 0 Points
    EE maps, DEMs and POIs would be max 200mb, the full nav SW with TTS would certainly be less than 200mb for EE (stripped won languages and TTS). In addition, it could be that only the igo8.exe and kep SW files that needed to be on the SD card. I dont know for sure, as I never had one of these cards, just speculation based on principles known.
  • johnb 0 Points
    Does it matter about the software (and how would it handle customisations)? The HP map SD would presumably have the license protection encoded somewhere (which the iPAQ would recognise) so you couldn't copy the map to a different card. If you wanted a different map from HP it would be provided on another licensed card. I doubt you could copy maps from one HP map SD to another and for the maps still to work.

That is the problem/reason why you won't be able to download maps to SD without the appropriate protection and they won't want to write that information over the internet. So they only write to the card or device which was originally provided and which contains valid licensing information.
  • johnb 0 Points
    An update.

If you copy your map and other related data to the SD card you can install new maps on the iPAQ main memory and (since presumably the licences are still in the main memory) the software will search and use maps in the main memory and on the SD

see the post by Brent Brownfield Mar 23, 2009 23:44:51 GMT at http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/bizsupport/questionanswer.do?threadId=1321000
  • infama 0 Points
    Sounds like good news.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Naviextras is now supporting the iPAQ 300 series. However, the extent of the support is not clear. It may be just maps and POIs and not the software.
  • jimmyb 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    hi all,i am shortly going to florida on holiday and would like to take my 314 with me instead of paying for a sat nav on the car rental.
    question is ,if i download the north american map from naviextras will it work?,the size is around 780mbs so i would have to delete a lot of stuff from the 314 to fit it on.i would like to keep the uk/ireland maps on as well as the new usa.
    also do i have to d/load straight to the 314 or can i keep it on my computer and move it over to the 314.
    the naviextras toolbox recognise my 314 as an igo myway 8, strange if they are now supporting the 314.
    anyhoo any help appreciated,
    thanks
    jimmy.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Jimmy,

If you want more maps, install the toolbox from Naviextras. With it, you can move all of your current maps to your PC to make room for additional maps, and it is free. I also understand that if you create identical map and POI folders on an SD card and then copy the old maps and POIs to those folders you can actually have everything available on the device. Is does not appear that you can download new maps directly to a blank SD card at this time, but maybe that will change. You can also use the toolbox to move the new maps to the PC, move your old maps back to the unit and then copy the new maps to the SD card if you just want it for your US visit.

Pat
  • jimmyb 0 Points
    thanks for the info ,pat
    i will give it a go.