This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

NEW - Motorcycle GPS: Becker Z100 Crocodile

peterPL 0 Points
Hi,

Haven't used this forum for ages! :) Now, when I found something, it's the time to share some information. The picture first:

It's called Z100 Crocodile and is made by Becker. I can't see many posts regarding this make, that's why probably most of you will hear about it for the first time! I've heard Becker uses Navigon software, and is a bit cheaper than Navigon. You can buy it in the UK for less than 200 GBP. Becker GPS units has already got some feedback in UK, and I have to admit most of the people, with some experience in GPS world (have used Garmin, TomTom etc), really enjoyed Becker.

The full specs are available HERE. It's got what you would expect from a GPS unit, PLUS it's got a media player, that plays MP3s, WAVes, OGGs and MPEG-4 ;) But, the most important thing is, that the unit is IPx4 WATERPROOF!!!
(IPx4 standard means "Water splashing against the enclosure from any direction shall have no harmful effect.").

And that's not all.

When you've got a unit like that, you may straight away think about using it outside. Most of the motorcyclists would probably consider a GPS like that, but they would be concerned about limited time (battery life) they can use the unit. In this case, they would be wrong.

Becker made a motorcycle charger, that you connect direct to the +/- of the motorcycle's battery. The other end of the chargers is a ... WATERPROOF holder!!! It means, that, whatever the weather, you are able to use your SatNav on a motorbike! Have a look:
It's a shame, that the motorcycle charger is not included in a box when you buy a unit. Apart from that, I can't find it in the Becker's shop, but I'm quite sure this is temporary, and the whole lot will soon be available online.

Don't you think, that Navigon should make something similiar? Maybe a kind of Navigon 2100max Aligator? :lol:

UPDATE: 02/JUL/2009

One week ago I bought my Crocodile. First impression? - "It's biiiig!" (that's what she said... :D) It's really big. 4.3" inch screen plus some plastic case around - not a unit for small womens delicate hands ;) The unit seems to be quite sturdy, but, as made of plastic and some kind of rubber-feel-like material at the back, it is obviously not scratch-proof. The pictures and description below are here to help the hesitating ones whether to spend their money on the Crocodile or not :)

I bought it just because I'm planning to use GPS on a motorbike, and only Becker offers something at this price that is dedicated to be used outside and is sort-of waterproof (splash-proof). From official Becker website I ordered a bike cradle and a bike mount, both working together to keep the unit on your bike, both waterproof, detailed pictures below.

I've been using Navigon 2110max for one year, and if I was to buy a SatNav for a car - sorry, Becker, I would never buy Becker again. I'm not returning it to the shop just because there's no alternative for it for this amount of money (paid 142GBP on 35% off sale from around 220GBP). The software is slow, not user-friendly, navigating the menus makes you study the manual for ages... Haven't used it much yet, maybe it's just the matter of getting used to it. If Navigon would get 9/10 points on software, I would give not more than 5 out of 10 to Becker. So if you are considering buying Becker for your car use - keep on considering and don't forget to have a look at Navigon.

OK. Now about the mounting bit.

The bike mount

When taken out of the box (ordered on official Becker website, arrived to UK within 3 days by UPS), you get this:

It's got four "hooks", that go into the cradle

You fasten the screw using a flat screw-driver

The mount has got 3 pieces of rubber to avoid sliding on the bar

I've met one opinion on the Internet, that the screw holders are not tough enough, and may crack if screwing too strong. I'll let you know as soon as I get the bike.

The bike cradle

When taken out of the box, you get this:

It's quite long, when fully spread it's 180cm/70inch

You plug it straight to the battery, the cables are marked "+" & "-" (have a look at the earlier picture (at the top of the page) downloaded from Becker's website months ago, I can't see them there...)

There is a fuse installed in the black plastic, which unscrews

Cradle and mount next to each other

The mount already in the cradle

The cradle has got protective rubber,
that sits on three "charging pins".

That is supposed to prevent water from getting to the cradle's electricity. Don't ask me if that works - it has to!

The rubber is cut at an angle to fit the cradle, so you have to check it before putting it back...

... otherwise you get this:

The bottom of the unit has got three holes with metal bits that connect it with the cradle

The top of the unit has got a special place, that fits the top of the cradle (the small round hole is a reset button)

The top part of the cradle that holds the unit in place is equipped with a spring built-in. I have to admit it's much better and safer that Navigon's.

All in all, "five out of ten" for software, "nine out of ten" for mounting. Oh, forgot to say. The suction thing, that I put into my car - it's ever so wobbly!!!

More pics as soon as the bike arrives ;)

Comments