This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

GPS watches for runners and bikers....

patruns 10 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Has anyone had any experience with this units? I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 305 and was looking for some feedback. It includes a heart monitor which is also something that I am interested in. I just want to lock onto a sat, hit "go" and run where I please while in a certain heart rate range and then hit "stop" and then connect to a PC and have it track where I have been, how far I went and the time and speed. Seems like these devices have taken out all the work expect for the running part.

Comments

• Tim 1467 Points
    For the most part you are right. A common issue is reception. Given the small footprint of a watch, you've got to put in a tiny chip and not feed it too much power.

I've got a forerunner 205 I use every now and then. Simple, effective most of the time, but often I sit there and wait awhile before it gets a signal.
  • tgelstontgelston 0 Points
    I had a 205 too. And 90% of the time it worked perfectly. About 10% of the time I would be sitting in front of my house waiting and waiting for it to get a signal lock. If I left before it got a location lock it could be a long wait. usually my approach was to sit it out on the car about 10 minutes before I needed to go - get my stuff ready and by the time I was ready - it was ready. I gave mine to my dad now for his horseback rides - he loves seeing the map of where he rode.
  • patruns 10 Points
    So what I think you are both saying is once you have the sat lock it works like a charm but you may have to wait a while first?
  • Tim 1467 Points
    That has been my experience.
  • Tim 1467 Points
    patruns, how urgently are you thinking of getting one?
  • patruns 10 Points
    patruns, how urgently are you thinking of getting one?
    No rush Tim. Just started returning to running and waiting to see if I can stick with it. I used to be an avid runner and have a computer log of daily runs and races that span several years. After reading, I was quite impressed with the idea that I could just start and stop it and then upload to the PC without any additional info on my part.

Why, you hear of something new on the horizon?
  • Tim 1467 Points
    It is out of my reach for a couple of weeks but I'd let you borrow my Forerunner 205 if you want to try it out.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Gee Tim, that's awfully nice of you to offer. Right now, I am in the very beginning stages of returning to running and not going far on a run. If I get through this period and start going for 5 mile runs I might just take you up on that.

Thanks! :D
  • ifse 0 Points
    Resurrecting this old thread.

Patruns, did you get the Forerunner 305? Amazon is selling it for $158 now and I'm tempted. I want an HRM, and for a little bit more, I can have GPS as well. I'm just not sure how good it is, in terms of distance tracking and HR accuracy.
  • patruns 10 Points
    For once I held my breath and waited to see if I would really use it. Good thing as the only running I have been doing recently is after the bus, subway and train. :oops:
  • ifse 0 Points
    Sounds like you need a Forerunner 305 for motivation :)