This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

new firmware for 4250

superdave592 91 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Magellan has posted new firmware 4.85 for the 4250 I have installed same with no problem

Comments

• madusy 0 Points
    Just tried the update , followed direction to the letter. Update failed part way along. Now unit will only come up to the System settings screen. Just what I need a paper weight !
  • DonD1234 0 Points
    Just tried the update , followed direction to the letter. Update failed part way along. Now unit will only come up to the System settings screen. Just what I need a paper weight !
    I just did the update a few minutes ago and on my computer, it said that the update had failed. However, when I checked on my 4250 it had updated.
  • madusy 0 Points
    After numerous attempts to complete the update using my desktop computer which is getting old and slower USB ports then , I decided to try running the update from my newer laptop. The gps gods smiled, the update completed, gps rebooted, SUCCESS. Persistance paid off.
    Not sure why it worked from the laptop, may have had something to do with having more memory and USB 2.
    I'm just glad it worked.
  • embesh 0 Points
    After numerous attempts to complete the update using my desktop computer which is getting old and slower USB ports then , I decided to try running the update from my newer laptop. The gps gods smiled, the update completed, gps rebooted, SUCCESS. Persistance paid off.
    Not sure why it worked from the laptop, may have had something to do with having more memory and USB 2.
    I'm just glad it worked.
    you said the same exact thing in a different post. if I make one, can you copy and paste this in mine too? :P
  • embesh 0 Points
    Well when I tried the firmware update with my maestro 3100, it locked up the unit and I had to send it to magellan for repair. Took about a week from send to recieve. Now I just did the update 4.8. Flawless. Took about 15 mins> :D
  • scots 80 Points
    I just updated my 4250 to the 4.85 firmware a couple days ago. The update appeared to work fine from what I could tell. Ever since I did the update it seems like it's taking MUCH longer for it to lock on to the GPS satellites. Also, when it does lock on to them it doesn't seem to be able to keep a lock on them. The signal indicator keeps jumping around between 4 bars, 5 bars, and no bars at all. Anyone have something like this happen to them or have any idea what's going on? I've had it for almost a year and a half now, and never had anything like this happen with it.
  • Tim 1479 Points
    See our Acquiring Satellites page. That ought to explain why it is happening. Let it get a signal and leave it still for about 30 minutes or so and it should be fast again in the future... unless something about the update itself changed the GPS chipset software, but that isn't terribly likely.
  • scots 80 Points
    Thanks! Giving that a try right now. I've updated the firmware several times since I first got it, and have never had this happen before. Hope it works!
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I just updated my 4250 to the 4.85 firmware a couple days ago. The update appeared to work fine from what I could tell. Ever since I did the update it seems like it's taking MUCH longer for it to lock on to the GPS satellites. Also, when it does lock on to them it doesn't seem to be able to keep a lock on them. The signal indicator keeps jumping around between 4 bars, 5 bars, and no bars at all. Anyone have something like this happen to them or have any idea what's going on? I've had it for almost a year and a half now, and never had anything like this happen with it.
    Try performing a master rest after any update and let the unit boot up with it plugged in to your car DC power supply, let it sit on the windshield without any obstructions from the sky for 30 minutes or so. When it locks on to GPS satellites, it should respond much faster afterwards.

Good Luck
  • scots 80 Points
    Well...I tried a reset...I tried an unobstructed view of the sky for 30 minutes (was actually more like 40) without moving it...no go. I still get it bouncing around between full signal, partial signal, and no signal. I've had it for almost a year and a half and have done about every update on it that Magellan has come out with...probably at least 4 or 5 updates...and have never had anything like this happen after an update. I have it located in the exact same place in my car that I've always placed it since I first got it. Nothing at all has changed except for doing the 4.85 update the other day.

Anyone have any other ideas, hints, tips, suggestions? Am I going to have to start looking for a new GPS?
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Well...I tried a reset...I tried an unobstructed view of the sky for 30 minutes (was actually more like 40) without moving it...no go. I still get it bouncing around between full signal, partial signal, and no signal. I've had it for almost a year and a half and have done about every update on it that Magellan has come out with...probably at least 4 or 5 updates...and have never had anything like this happen after an update. I have it located in the exact same place in my car that I've always placed it since I first got it. Nothing at all has changed except for doing the 4.85 update the other day.

Anyone have any other ideas, hints, tips, suggestions? Am I going to have to start looking for a new GPS?
    You could have a hardware issue with the GPS going out or something as little as a lose connection. If it was my unit, I would recover back to the original version and update it again. Have you tried contacting Magellan for assistant for this type of issue? Sometimes it is a coincidence that the hardware fails during an update and people tend to stay fix on software when it is a hardware failure.
    Your battery could be bad and the unit is not keeping the GPS data so every time you boot it up, is like a fresh start and TTFF takes a while. Just thinking out loud here.
    If you are really stuck, I might be able to be assistant, no guarantee but I might be able to assist. Where did you buy your unit from? Did you buy extended warranty if it is out of factory warranty?
  • scots 80 Points
    I haven't called Magellan yet. I've read in various places on the internet that Magellan's tech support isn't located in the USA (like so many places these days), and that it's pretty horrendous. I got the unit from Costco which has an extremely liberal return policy, so I could return it and get a different GPS...but I really hate to do that. I used to work in retail (and did it for almost 10 years), and I feel like I'd be abusing the return policy if I did that since I've had it about a year and a half...even though I know how liberal they are with their return policy.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I haven't called Magellan yet. I've read in various places on the internet that Magellan's tech support isn't located in the USA (like so many places these days), and that it's pretty horrendous. I got the unit from Costco which has an extremely liberal return policy, so I could return it and get a different GPS...but I really hate to do that. I used to work in retail (and did it for almost 10 years), and I feel like I'd be abusing the return policy if I did that since I've had it about a year and a half...even though I know how liberal they are with their return policy.
    I am not sure if they will allow you to return the unit after 18 months but you can always try. It is known as membership privileges! I don't believe in it but since they only work with 7% profit margin, they are run almost like a none profit so it is your rights or benefit if they accept your unit back.
    Funny part is we know of people that take back 1/2 jars of roasted nuts, open meat packages, water melon etc. It's a joke almost. For electronics items just think, if you can buy a unit and return it every six months guarantee you to have the latest mapping software and hardware, and they would probably give you refund for the price difference as you are taking it back. The only people that suffer is the manufacturers and they allow this to happen so they deserve what they get.
    I think with electronics, Costco have either a 6 months or 3 months return policy. People use to buy Large LCD TV for game days and return after the game, buy portable AC when it's hot and return it after the weather cools down. This type of practice trained people to be bad and take advantage of companies. There is no more real retail business because companies such as Walmart, Costco pretty much put all the small business out of business.

Good luck
  • Marc 301 Points
    No limit on returning electronics except for TVs and Computers, which after much abuse were limited. If people abuse the GPS sales as PND4ME describes they will add them to the list also. I know that COSTCO is a sore sport for PND4ME, and I miss the service of GOOD small retailers, but if we are doomed to behemoths like Walmart and Sams Club, I hope they all have the same policies as COSTCO.
  • scots 80 Points
    I decided to buy a new GPS and went with a Garmin. I almost went with the 755T, but kept looking and went with the 265WT instead and saved $120. They look about the same to me. The 755T has a few features that I'd never use (like MP3 player, etc), and the lane assist feature (which from what I read isn't quite up to snuff yet). It should arrive tomorrow. I'm not going to return the Magellan to Costco, even though I probably could.
  • dpworsley 0 Points
    I have experienced the firmware upgrade problem with 4.85 that others have mentioned. The upgrade process seemed to have "quit" early. I have tried to upgrade again, but the wizard goes straight to the "finish" page.

My unit initially seemed fine after the failed upgrade. It reported 4.85 for the firmware, but could track satellites and navigation OK.

But today I noticed that the unit would hang up when canceling a route, or whenever it had to re-route. It would stay hung up and eventually reboot on its own. I also have noticed that it no longer says any of the street names during manuevers. Could a speech file have become corrupt or something?

I have performed a forced reboot many times without resolving the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I have experienced the firmware upgrade problem with 4.85 that others have mentioned. The upgrade process seemed to have "quit" early. I have tried to upgrade again, but the wizard goes straight to the "finish" page.

My unit initially seemed fine after the failed upgrade. It reported 4.85 for the firmware, but could track satellites and navigation OK.

But today I noticed that the unit would hang up when canceling a route, or whenever it had to re-route. It would stay hung up and eventually reboot on its own. I also have noticed that it no longer says any of the street names during manuevers. Could a speech file have become corrupt or something?

I have performed a forced reboot many times without resolving the problem.

Anyone have any ideas?
    The correct way of fixing this issue is to recover it back to an older version software. Magellan can perform this task if your unit is still under warranty, you can send it in to Magellan to have it done. If it is within 30 days of purchased, your authorized Magellan reseller should be able to exchange your unit for you.

If you purchased it used or it has been over a year, you can consider contact Magellan or Auto Nav 2000 to perform the recover service for you, there will be a fee charged for such a service.

Updating is like installing software, the factory can't control how you update your unit and what type of equipment you are using. So they basically advice everyone that they perform the update at their own risk which is fair I think considering the millions of possibility for the units to fail the update process and not necessary caused by the firmware update.

Hope this helps.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    No limit on returning electronics except for TVs and Computers, which after much abuse were limited. If people abuse the GPS sales as PND4ME describes they will add them to the list also. I know that COSTCO is a sore sport for PND4ME, and I miss the service of GOOD small retailers, but if we are doomed to behemoths like Walmart and Sams Club, I hope they all have the same policies as COSTCO.
    I would also like to add that the only way small business will survive is for people to support them. Here is the issue, Costco, Walmart etc encourage only lower prices, so everything pretty much is manufactured from China etc...
    So when we encourage this type of action and when we can't pay for our roads and public safety, we have ourselves to thank and no one else to blame.

Funny is everyone feels they are worth more than what they are getting paid for but when it comes to someone else, it is best to buy at the lowest price until they find out they are out of a job because what they provide is no longer needed and being replaced by someone in China.

Go Walmart, Go Sam's club, Go Costco and when everyone is having to pay higher taxes because the small business is put out of business, I would just say we all got what we deserved.

The small business and middle class citizens carry the weight of the economy. These large companies with their off shore accounts will never reinvest back in your community. Without the small business, America as we once know it will only have the two classes, the very rich and the poor. Are you and your kids rich enough to make it through all this without being affected? If you are, more power to you! If you are not, consider spending your dollar locally with your small business because they are part of your local economy and your money will be reinvested in your local economy. Patronizing your local small businesses before they are all gone. I use to love the local hardware stores and local electronic stores, now we have bunch of uneducated $8 an hour representatives that have nothing to offer but price. Very sad indeed.

GPS are all build in China, I wonder why? Because we won't buy our own American cars and we won't pay for an American built GPS but we expect our standard of living to stay the same. No free ride folks, when you take a job out of the picture, that person will also stop spending and paying taxes and it will all come around sooner or later to affect you.

Enough said
  • dpworsley 0 Points
    Is there an easy way to tell whether its still under warranty from the Magellan website? I can only that I am registered.

Thanks!
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Is there an easy way to tell whether its still under warranty from the Magellan website? I can only that I am registered.

Thanks!
    You need to contact the store that sold you your unit and get a receipt from them.
    Magellan will need a receipt because someone could have stolen the unit or the unit may have been lost.
    They support the customers that purchased the unit from their authorized Magellan resellers.
    Provide SN and receipt and they should be able to assist you if your unit is still under warranty.

Good luck
  • Marc 301 Points
    I don't think the registration is worth anything. I registered my unit when I bought it, but when I needed a replacement power cord they made me send in a receipt.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    I don't think the registration is worth anything. I registered my unit when I bought it, but when I needed a replacement power cord they made me send in a receipt.
    I hate to say it, when you register your unit, all they do is keep your email address so they can sell you new units direct which is very unfair to their dealers.
    When it comes to warranty, you need to show proof of purchase.
    I hate their registration process since it does little but let Magellan sell direct to retailers customers.

How business friendly is that folks?
  • Marc 301 Points
    I do think it doubled my warranty, since when I registered I entered my AAA number. Other than that, I have to agree.