This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Cobra GPS 5000

redvette 0 Points
Hi Gang......New here. I have a couple of question ask about this particuler GPS unit, so if any one owns one, I would appreciate a reply.

One thing that might be common to most GPS units, that you can connect to a PC so I will ask is this. When I plug it into a know good USB port it says it recognizes it, and says it is ready to use, but I cannot find it any where. It makes a sound when you plug it in and remove it, but I have looked ever where for it. In Control Panel, under Manage, etc. it shows up no where. It needs a firmware up date, and I have to have it connected to my PC to do this. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanx...Gunny

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Use Explorer and you may find your gps unit represented as an additional storage device, like another hard drive.
  • redvette 0 Points
    DNH

I am using Explorer. That is where I was looking for it, to appear as an extra HD. As a matter of fact I have tried it on 3 different computers all with Explorer. Now what.

Thanx...Gunny
  • redvette 0 Points
    One thing to add here, when I went to the site for the update it stated things you must have to do this update, and one of the things listed I did not have and that is a AC power adaptor. I thought it should still show up even not having the power adaptor. Am I right. I used the USB cord that came with it, and had the unit in the proper setting, tried it powered on and off. No change. I tried it booting up to it, same results.

Thanx....Gunny
  • redvette 0 Points
    Well I guess this ends it, no replies or help from any one else. One reply thats a lot of help

Thanx...Gunny
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Well I guess this ends it, no replies or help from any one else. One reply thats a lot of help
    If you have any sort of expectation of response time to your questions... or a guaranteed response at all-- then you are in the wrong place. Contact Cobra's support department.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I guess the other 3 people in the world that own a Cobra gps do not hang in this forum! :lol:

Other than following Tim's advice have you tried Googling "removable drive not detected" or "removable drive not recognized"? It may well be a problem with your PC settings. (Just a thought)
  • redvette 0 Points
    Hi Spyder

Well that makes me feel better knowing there are 2 more people out there that own these GPS units. :-) I was thinking of trying that but when I found out there were 2 other computers that gave me the same results, My idea of checking that out went more with the unit being the problem rather then the computers.

I will give your suggestion a try, just to more or less do the process of elimination. I have been talking to Cobra support, and so far their suggestions have been things I have tried already. Nothing new. You are down on the Cobra's, what is your suggestion for a better one then.? P.S. The Cobra does work great out side of this small problem.

Thanx...Gunny
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I was wrong....there seem to be another 5 Cobra users out there and 4 of them thought the 5000 was a piece of crap! :lol: :lol: Tim announced it back in Jan 2007, but apparently never got one to do a full review. http://www.gpsreview.net/cobra-nav-one-5000/

I do not know anything about them and have never seen one. Have you tried playing swaptronics with the USB cable? You mention using a known "good" USB port on the PC but I hope you are not going into/through a USB hub as that often does not work. Avoiding the USB keyboard port is also a good thing.

Have you searched over in a different forum, like GPSPassions.com? "All in One" Navigation Systems area.

Here is a posting from DEC 2007 and maybe there is something in there that can help????

The software update webpage for the Cobra 5000 is: http://navone.cobra.com/software_updates_navone5000.htm

The webpage for more info on the Cobra 5000 is: http://www.cobra.com/index.php?page=shop/flypage&product_id=497&id=1

If you want to update your Cobra 5000 to the latest software, be advised there is a bug in the kernel update portion of the software update. If the unit hangs when you press the "ok" button to update the kernel, here's the solution.

(1) Shut down the unit.
    (2) While holding down the menu button (top right side of unit), power up the unit by depressing the button on the top left side of the unit.
    (3) You will see a message which says to press the menu button once to enter software test mode. Release the menu button which you were holding down from the previous step, and then press it once.
    (4) Let the unit boot to the software test screen. It will appear gray with menu selections on the screen.
    (5) Select the menu button that says "Software test" (upper left selection on screen). DO NOT TAMPER WITH ANY OF THE OTHER SELECTIONS OR CHANGE ANY OTHER SETTINGS.
    (6) The unit will start loading the existing software. Wait for the "please wait" message to disappear. When it does, you will see a button on the lower left side that says, "Kernel Update". Select that button.
    (7) You should get a message that says, "Updating kernel". In about 1/2 minute or so, you should get another message that says that the update was successful and to restart your unit. If the update was not successful, consult Cobra Customer Service at the number below.
    (8) Shut down the unit and then restart in normal mode. When the unit boots you should now get the demo movie. Just touch the screen anywhere and then select "test drive" and "yes" which will get you to the main menu. If your unit still hangs or will not reboot, consult customer service.
    (9) From the main menu, select "settings" and then select "software info" to check whether the latest software and kernel v1.49 was loaded successfully. If so, continue with your user options set up and enjoy. If not, consult Cobra customer service at 773-889-3087 or 773-889-8870.

At the moment I have no other ideas for you. :cry:
  • redvette 0 Points
    Hi Spyder

I appreciate your help even though you think this is a pile o crap. :-)

I am not new to computers and have been messing with them since 1996, so I am saying this just to let you know I know my way around a computer, and what and how they shpould work. I am no expert but can figure out most problems. I am using the USB ports right from the computer no terminal. and they are 2.0 ports.

I am not catching what you say play swaptronics with the USB cable. I have tried 2 different cables, one I had and the one that came with it. Maybe this is what you are saying.

Now I tried this on a dual boot computer I use as a secondary computer, that has Windows 7. It showed up ok, to my surprise, and said it was usable device, but after being hooked up for a bit, while I was searching for the update a little box appeared saying this device was showing a malfunction. from showing of
  • redvette 0 Points
    it was ok to this has me thinking there is some thing wrong with this unit. Why go from operating ok to a malfunction. I have said this unit operates ok except getting the updates. And one strange thing it will not power up when it is connected to the AC charger.

And Cobra says it must be connected to a AC charger when you do the updates. I guess in case the battery goes dead during an update will goof it up, so they suggest it be connected to a AC charger. My thinking if it malfuntions with the updates, there is some thing wrong with it, no matter how else it works. I asked Cobra if it would be worth sending it in to be repaired. I bought it used for $130. so tell me I am stupid, I can take it..:-)

Thanx...Gunny
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    First - Let me be clear that I DID NOT say the Cobra was a piece of crap. Several people that own(ed) one said it was. I have never used one.

Second - OK on knowing your way around a computer. On this forum unless someone posts his PhD diploma one can usually assume they need basic assistance and then we work up from there. I was just passing on some info I went and found. I will now bow out of this discussion as you seem to have a handle on the problem.
    If Cobra - (are they still in the gps business???) will not help you out for free you may soon have yourself a fancy doorstop at some point.

There are some good buys on Garmin units right now and Navigon is coming out with some new units (maybe this month) that have nice features for a decent price. Check the Navigon forum and the Garmin Nuvi forum and/or the GPS Recommendations forum.

Good luck.
  • redvette 0 Points
    Hi Spyder

No problem on the unit being called crap. I tought the Cobra name had a pretty good reputation, that is part of the reason I bought it. But I have made mistakes buying things before, based on that, and will probably make some in the future, no shame, I can take it.

I have been e-mailing Cobra a couple of times so far and have not really gotten any where, I think I will call them Mon morning, and talk to some one directly, and see if some thing can be figured out from that.

Spyder I appreciate your help, no hard feelings, none meant. I just wish some one would get on here that has owned one, and would join in.

Thanx....Gunny