This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How do you revert to previous firmware?

How do you go about reverting to a previous version of the firmware?

I updated my 765T to the latest firmware last week and I think the traffic is not fuctioning correctly now. It used to be pretty accurate, but on Saturday I got caught in a 3 mile backup on the freeway. It took over an hour to drive the 3 miles yet the whole time the traffic either displayed as green, or at one point it showed a yellow 1 minute delay.

Comments

• Keep checking this link. There's a bunch of archived Nuvi firmware versions, but not one for the 765T...yet. See if you can contact that guy and get him to put it up. If/when he does, you just run the executable file and it will automatically install itself with an official Garmin loader. I don't recall it erasing favorites or custom POI files, but it will reset everything else back to factory settings. Not a big deal, really.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/perry/nuvi/

Also, for future reference, when you update a map, look for other firmware updates where you are forced to upgrade to the newest OS firmware, accept it. You won't be able to get past it until you do. Let it "install" the OS firmware and finish whatever it is you want to update. When it's done do NOT disconnect it from the computer or do anything to cause it to re-boot. That's when the actual installation occurs and it will say "installing system software". At this point, all that has been "installed" is the update file, but it has not been executed. Go to "my computer" and into the Nuvi "Garmin" folder and delete the file "gupdate.gcd". You do not need this as it will cause the firmware to update. This is totally safe to do and I just did it when I updated my map. However, it's always a good idea to back up the entire Nuvi (and the hidden files) to a folder on your computer.
  • for the 7x5 series, download the firmware version you want direct from Garmin using the link below. replace 340 with the version you want (so 250, 330 etc). Rename GUPDATE.gcd and save it in the garmin folder on your GPS. bish bash bosh next time you turn it on you will be prompted if you want to install an older version of the firmware, click yes (obviously).

I use this method all the time when Garmin release downdates - found 250 to be the most stable

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__340.gcd

NB you will lose all your favorites this way

NBB this method doesn't work on the 2x5 series (or at least the 255w)
  • Tim 1480 Points
    for the 7x5 series, download the firmware version you want direct from Garmin using the link below.
    Nice, glad to see some official Garmin links for things like this. While I trust perry, it is never good practice to get firmware from third party sites.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Nice, glad to see some official Garmin links for things like this. While I trust perry, it is never good practice to get firmware from third party sites.
    I've known about the direct links for years now so I know where they are. But the strange thing is that when the end-user emails/calls Garmin tech support regarding past firmware/software versions, be it unit software or MapSource, they never refer them to the direct links on Garmin's server but to the files at the Perry archive.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Weird. Is there a list somewhere or are the links consistent enough that they can be predicted?
  • Going back to the original post, I would question the need to revert to a prior firmware. The problem appears to be with the traffic receiver and not the unit's firmware. Heck, maybe the traffic folks took Saturday off so the traffic wasn't being updated. )

Trust me, you will quickly discover that the traffic feature is far from accurate.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited April 2009
    The region file links are pretty consistent. For example, the link that was posted by isellapples above can be changed to get older region files as well as check for new updates:

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__340.gcd

can be changed to:

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__330.gcd

to get the 3.30 region file and can also be changed to easily check for future releases without running WebUpdater. You can simply create favorites/bookmarks to reflect the filename change as I did above. I do this all the time to check for new updates, bypassing WebUpdater and other links such as http://www.gpsinformation.org/allory/new.htm. Note that if a firmware version has NOT been publicly released, either in the past or a new/future update, it will simply display a "file not found" message.

Example:
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__250.gcd
    is the first public release. If you use 260/270/280/290, you'll find that those versions were not released.

If you want the direct download for older items that used the direct file update method via .exe file, you'd need the link to the page:

Example for the nuvi 760
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/store/downloadsDetails.jsp?id=3811&product=010-00657-10

On that page is the link to the direct download file:
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi760_460.exe

Copying the link location and then changing the "460" in the link to a different version like "400" will download that file. Again, if the firmware has not been publicly released or has not yet been released , you'll get the same result where the file won't be found.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    That is really cool-- never knew that was there.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited April 2009
    Going back to the original post, I would question the need to revert to a prior firmware. The problem appears to be with the traffic receiver and not the unit's firmware. Heck, maybe the traffic folks took Saturday off so the traffic wasn't being updated. :)
    Well the 765 series had some pretty nifty bugs where any traffic incidents closer than ~6 miles were not being reported and simply did not exist when on a route or by doing a traffic search. They were being displayed on the traffic map but that was it. In my case with the 765, I had to revert to 2.50 (the first public release) to get traffic working correctly. But the newest v3.40 has seemingly fixed all of these issues (at least here on my end). I think the reverting back to v2.50 just to test if traffic is working is maybe a good idea. IF it works on that version & not on the newest version, I'd say the traffic issues may still be present in some areas.

Also at issue may be the traffic provider; Clear Channel vs Navteq. In the Los Angeles & Riverside/San Bernardino, CA areas, I get the following stations transmitting traffic data:

Clear Channel Lifetime (Los Angeles)
    92.3 94.1 98.7 99.1 102.7 103.5 104.3 105.3 (8 stations)

Clear Channel Lifetime (San Bernardino/Riverside)
    92.3 94.1 98.7 99.1 99.9 102.7 103.5 104.3 105.3 (9 stations)

Navteq Lifetime (Los Angeles)
    91.9 94.9 97.3 100.3 105.9 (5 stations)

Navteq Lifetime (San Bernardino/Riverside)
    100.3 (1 station)

You can clearly see that Clear Channel is the clear winner as far as transmitting stations are concerned, at least in my area and I find that it's well worth adding the Clear Channel lifetime subscription in addition to the GTM 20's Navteq subscription just for the additional and wider coverage.
    Trust me, you will quickly discover that the traffic feature is far from accurate.
    Agreed 100%
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited April 2009
    That is really cool-- never knew that was there.
    One way to get the link/location to the region files (on units you have in your possession) is to:

1. Make note your current unit software version.
    2. Connect the nuvi to the PC and browse to x:/Garmin and edit GarminDevice.xml (open it with Notepad) to the version prior to what is currently on the unit. The line to edit will look like this:
    <SoftwareVersion>340</SoftwareVersion> (nuvi 765 example)
    3. Change this value to something earlier like 330 and save the file (make no other changes).
    4. Run WebUpdater without disconnecting the nuvi as rebooting the nuvi will re-generate the GarminDevice.xml file restoring it's correct values. Upon checking for a new version (and finding one since you've fooled it into thinking that an earlier version is on the unit), there will be a link to an "additional info" webpage. Click on the link.
    5. You will be taken to the region file/changelog page for that unit software version.
    6. While on that page, from your browser select View/Page Source (Firefox) or View/Source (Internet Explorer)

This will provide you the link to the region file and also with instructions on how to use the region file to update your unit using the region file on another PC.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    First time I've seen you post that tip Sergzak. Thanks!!
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Making this a sticky. I owe you a beer the next time I'm in LA.
  • Going back to the original post, I would question the need to revert to a prior firmware. The problem appears to be with the traffic receiver and not the unit's firmware. Heck, maybe the traffic folks took Saturday off so the traffic wasn't being updated. :)

Garmin seem to frequently release firmware versions that break the traffic feature, its a rare day when there isnt a single bit of traffic in the whole of the UK! (traffic isnt localised over here, you get all of it, or none of it)
  • for the 7x5 series, download the firmware version you want direct from Garmin using the link below.

I never had any problems with his firmware. They are official Garmin products and even use the official installer/loader.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I never had any problems with his firmware.
    Like I said.. I personally trust them. But it is still not a good practice. No way to determine if the files have been tampered with.
  • No way to determine if the files have been tampered with.
    True enough, I guess. Don't see what his motivation would be to tamper with or corrupt the files, though.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I'm not worried about his motivation or intentions. I'd be worried about someone hacking in and modifying the files to attach a virus or the like. That is something that has been an increasing issue on the internet in the past year. People downloading software from "trusted" sources that has been broken into, slightly compromised, and then people download the software without the downloader or website owner knowing the software has been compromised. A few popular software packages fell victim to this recently.

Granted the same thing could happen to Garmin themselves... but I'd trust Garmin's security a little more than a random third party site where (most people) don't know the people behind it.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I think Allory Deiss maintains that archival listing. You could ask him about his security and practices - allory@mac.com
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Just a note that the Perry firmware archive (maintained by Allory Deiss) has moved. The new link is:

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html
  • Thanks.
  • I registered just so I could thank you for this valuable information.

The other day I lost all sound on my Nuvi 265 after a software update and messing with bluetooth. I spent literally hours looking at settings, downloading and re-downloading software but could not get sound back. Not only for voice prompts but for touch screen beeps as well. I used the link provided in order to roll back the firmware and sound came back! Then I did a web update and I still have sound so all is well.

I did notice that on first reboot it reloaded bluetooth firmware or something. I didn't write it down but it took a couple of minutes. I wonder if when I was trying to pair my wife's phone it did something to the sound??? It definitely was not muted and I even tried moving the volume up and down. As it turned out my wife's phone was not compatible. I'm very disappointed with the limited phone model support for bluetooth in this device.

Thank you! :D
  • I registered just so I could thank you for this valuable information.

The other day I lost all sound on my Nuvi 265 after a software update and messing with bluetooth. I spent literally hours looking at settings, downloading and re-downloading software but could not get sound back. Not only for voice prompts but for touch screen beeps as well. I used the link provided in order to roll back the firmware and sound came back! Then I did a web update and I still have sound so all is well.
    I'm having the exact same issue. Could you please let me know how you reverted the software back? Thanks!!
  • Plug your Nuvi into your computer via USB and it will come up as a drive. You should backup all of your existing folders first to be safe. It will take a while. The flash memory in these things is really slow.

I downloaded this file and saved it to my computer:

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi2x5_regionfileonly__440.gcd

I then used these directions. Third post down:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/12414/x/p1/

I personally think there's a Bluetooth bug on these things. Once you power cycle after placing the old firmware file on the device it does some sort of a Bluetooth reload that takes a couple of minutes. After that I got sound back and the web update to the latest version went fine.
  • Thanks so much - it worked perfectly!
  • cuc tu 91 Points
    I seem to be missing a step.

The first part about downloading the file is ok, but I get lost:

Rename GUPDATE.gcd and save it in the garmin folder on your GPS. bish bash bosh next time you turn it on you will be prompted if you want to install an older version of the firmware, click yes (obviously).
    I think this means that I save the file http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__340.gcd

to x:\Garmin\GUPDATE.gcd

Then, when I reboot, I click Yes to the install old firmware prompt, and it will take care of itself from there?

But I should then do a hard reset, described elsewhere here...
  • jjocsak 0 Points
    I tried going back to 3.60 from 3.90 to solve the keyboard issue and it worked, however after I power cycled the unit all I saw was a white screen. I had to go back to 3.90.

Has anyone experienced this, and more importantly have a solution?

Thanks
    Jeff
  • I had the same experience after going back to 3.6 from 3.9 Seemed to work, power cycle then white screen. I also had to reinstall 3.9.

I'm also looking for a solution
  • pilotart 0 Points
    That "White Screen" might have been some good luck.

Hold your finger on the Battery Charge icon for ten seconds or so.

Look at the black bar at the top of your diagnostic screen, if it ends in:
    "...V9 4GB P1 DH04_R 330 MHz
    Your Nuvi has the newer system board and cannot operate on a Firmware Version below 3.8 and since 3.8 was an internal Firmware (that mine and most likely yours was shipped with) and 3.9 was the only upgrade so far, you need to wait for 4.x to be released.

Don't know of any way to revert to 3.8 and to try to Flash the newer Hardware to an older Firmware runs the risk of creating a brick.
  • That's it exactly... thank you so much!

I guess I have to live with the typing delay during the POI search until another version is released (and hope they fix it).
  • dmclone 0 Points
    Can someone tell me what the link for this update would be?

nuvi 13xx and 14xx series (region file only) software version 4.00
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Can someone tell me what the link for this update would be?

nuvi 13xx and 14xx series (region file only) software version 4.00
    http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi13xxand14xxseries_regionfileonly__400.gcd

Download the file and save it to your PC. Connect the nuvi to the PC's USB port and allow it to be detected. Now drag the downloaded file to your WebUpdater icon. When finished, safely disconnect the nuvi from the PC. The update will take place on the nuvi on the next power cycle.
  • dmclone 0 Points
    That worked. Thank you so much I had tried everything.

For future reference, you have to drag the file over to the program. In my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\WebUpdater.exe. When I tried to drag in to the shortcut on the start menu it didn't work.

Thanks again
  • SergZak 340 Points
    For future reference, you have to drag the file over to the program. In my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Garmin\WebUpdater.exe. When I tried to drag in to the shortcut on the start menu it didn't work.
    The "drag to icon" procedure will work if the icon/shortcut is on the desktop (the assumed location for the shortcut).
  • dmclone 0 Points

The "drag to icon" procedure will work if the icon/shortcut is on the desktop (the assumed location for the shortcut).
    I don't like things on my desktop :)
  • Glenn W 0 Points
    Link to the Nuvi 1690 North American region file:

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi16xxNA_regionfileonly__360.gcd

Thanks everyone.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    I decided to downgrade my 3790 firmware yesterday, and here's a little tip that could help everyone in the future. Before you perform a firmware upgrade, look in the Garmin folder (or hidden .System folder on new models) for a file named gupdate.GCD. Copy this file to your computer somewhere. It's the installer for the current update on your unit.

Now perform the firmware update. If you later decide that you want to go back to the previous version, simply delete the new version and copy your old version of gupdate.GCD back to the Garmin (or .System) folder. The next time you start your nuvi, the old firmware will be reinstalled.

This is easier than trying to find the old version on Garmin's site, and pretty much assures that you will restore your nuvi to the exact same version of the firmware you were using before the new update.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Good tip ... thanks Boyd :)
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Great advice Boyd, 'preciate it! :)
  • bobo25 0 Points
    I've lost audio on my Nuvi 1390 after a sofware update. Garman can't help by email or phone so now I've got to send it back to them for repair. I've notice others have experienced similar problems and I'd like to revert back to my original software (or is it firmware). Can someone guide me on how to do this for the 1390 as I could make things a lot worse by installing (or doing) :( the wrong thing.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Before you do anything go into the .system/sqlite folder and delete the mlg_history.db file. There is a known problem with this file corrupting that affects sound and BT conncetion. Reboot having deleted that file and your nuvi will recreate a fresh copy. If you still have sound problems come back and we'll advise how to revert to a previous FW, although that is unlikely to be the cause of your problem.
  • bobo25 0 Points
    I'm having trouble locating the .system file. In folder options I have checked 'show hidden files and folders', but still it doesn't appear. Is there anything else I have to do? :cry:
  • bobo25 0 Points
    Okay I found the file and deleted it but it's made no difference. Is there anything else I can try?
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    1. Clear the non-volatile memory:
    Speedometer -> Developer Info -> Non-volatile -> Clear non-volatile.

First make back up of favorites as this function will erase them. After that check and see if something is changed.

2. If 1. don't help reflash the firmware.

Cheers,
  • bobo25 0 Points
    I suppose 'speedometer' is a folder but it doesn't exist on my Nuvi. I do have a folder called 'reports' and I've copied everything to my PC in case I make a blunder of some kind but this folder won't copy. Windows Explorer simply says 'access denighed, but a third party file manager tells me this folder and all the subfolders are corrupted. They're also empy but that my be because Garmin got me to do a system reset and that deleted evrything including my favourites.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    For 'speedometer' you need to switch on your nuvi while at the same time you press and hold the bottom right corner of the screen, ie where your speedo would be normally ... it's not a folder.
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    Exactly as sussamb wrote. Just touch and hold speedometer for a few second and a hidden service menu will appear. Here is an image:

After that Developer Info -> Non-volatile -> Clear non-volatile
  • bobo25 0 Points
    Sorry for the misunderstanding. This is what Garmin told me to do to reset to factory defaults. All it does is bring up a dialouge which says 'do you really want to erase all user data,' after selecting yes, it reboots normally.
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    @ bobo25

Clear non-volatile memory is better than Master reset. If you want try it and see if that is going to make some change.

Till now I haven't heard of damaged loudspeaker after software (firmware) update. Looks like a software problem rather than hardware. :roll:
  • bobo25 0 Points
    Okay, I've got that now although it's compleatly different from your image, probably because I'm using firmware v5.1. But I can't find anyway to to get to developer info.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    It might be different, but you need to press and hold the area of the speedo until you get the diagnostics page up. You should then see a number of options, one of which is Developer Info. That's the one you want.