This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

How do you revert to previous firmware?

2»

Comments

• ddabcd277 47 Points
    edited March 2011
    Yep. Here are two images. Touch and hold till the diagnostic menu apears:

Edited...
  • bobo25 0 Points
    Thankyou, that was a lot clearer. I've really got no idea about fixing them, only using them. I cleared the memory as directed but unforyunately I still have no audio. Guess I'll have to send it to Garmin. :evil:
  • sussamb 813 Points
    We haven't overlooked the obvious have we :?: :oops:

You don't by chance have it set to 'mute'??
  • ddabcd277 47 Points
    edited March 2011
    If the device is set to 'mute' I will eat my hat. :lol:

This is my last post on the issue. Hope it is helpful. Thanks to the turboccc programing skills:

http://www.2shared.com/file/d_U-2DDD/Firmware972_510.html

This is the latest firmware version 5.10 for 13xx/14xx models in format .rgn for directly flashing the ROM. Before installing it delete file GUPDATE.GCD from the folder .System.

How to install it:
    1. Take 09720100510.rgn and drop it over Updater.exe. Change to USB device.
    2. Nuvi should be off. Then take nuvi and touch and hold the upper right corner of the screen and connect it with USB to your PC. Don't loose your finger. If it is OK Updater.exe will recognize it. If not repeat.
    3. Press OK and wait till the process ends.

Cheers,
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Me too ... but I just had to ask :lol:
  • bobo25 0 Points
    Thank you. No it's not muted. I will give your suggestion a try tomorrow. If it works I'll let you know, if not I'll give up. Thanks to everyone for your efforts.
  • for the 7x5 series, download the firmware version you want direct from Garmin using the link below. replace 340 with the version you want (so 250, 330 etc). Rename GUPDATE.gcd and save it in the garmin folder on your GPS. bish bash bosh next time you turn it on you will be prompted if you want to install an older version of the firmware, click yes (obviously).

I use this method all the time when Garmin release downdates - found 250 to be the most stable

http://www.garmin.com/software/nuvi7x5_regionfileonly__340.gcd

NB you will lose all your favorites this way

NBB this method doesn't work on the 2x5 series (or at least the 255w)
    The link doesn't work any more. I tried looking for v4.00 and v4.20 firmware this way. Does anyone know the direct link to the 7x5 firmware?
  • sussamb 813 Points
    I think Garmin have pulled all the links to previous firmware :cry:
  • Thanks . Too bad they pulled the link. :( Don't know if I plan to update to v4.20 on my 765t but it would have been nice to download it and update later if I needed it. Hope there are no issues updating over the internet.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    If you decide to try the newest firmware, it's easy to save your existing version and revert to it afterwards. Before updating, just find the file named gupdate.gcd on the Nuvi and copy it to a safe place on your computer. This is the installer for your current firmware version.

Now update to the new firmware. If you don't like it, copy the old gupdate.gcd file back to your Nuvi, replacing the new one that was just installed. Now when you restart the device it will ask if you want to load the old version. Confirm and you will revert to the version you have saved.
  • Great! Thanks for the tip.

I assume this means that after updating, I can save the resulting gupdate.gcd file from the device on to my PC and that should be the file for the new firmware, correct? This would be an indirect way of saving the firmware file on my PC for future reference, though after the fact.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Yes, exactly! You could save each firmware version that you download, then regress as far back as you like. You could just change the filenames to something descriptive like ver43.gcd, then rename them to gupdate.gcd if you want to reload them.
  • Thanks again Boyd! You rule!!!
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Just a note that the Perry firmware archive (maintained by Allory Deiss) has moved. The new link is:

http://www.gawisp.com/perry/agree.html
    I have a couple 3490LMT firmware GUPDATE.GCD files if anyone wants them. I think the best one is the newest 4.8 4.4 had issues.

Here are some notes re: 3490LMT that I am compiling using Windows 7 machines.

Garmin 3490LMT

hints:

keep it simple
    future trip on card
    normal stuff on unit

1. create trip waypoints, routes etc in BaseCamp,
    2. then export .gpx file,
    3. then import into Mapsource,
    4. then create map to cover future trip in Mapsource.

this will become "gmapsupp.img" in Garmin directory of microSD card in 3490 (only one allowed) additional maps allowed under MAP director with anyname.img but remember keep it simple

gmapsupp.img while a subset of the entire City Navigator database, will be noted as such in maps shown in 3490. Subset is good for example my Europe trip is just over 500K but otherwise would be just under 2 gig.

remember to name the Map Set before you export the map from Mapsource so it shows up nicely in the 3490 when you look at myMaps. Every MapSource file will be named gmapsup.img as the filename but you can rename it and put under MAP directory on microSD card.

processor in 3490 is NOT fast so it might take time to get things right. have patience and observe hard drive in PC to make sure it isn't spinning when you pull out 3490. I found if you plug the unit in a charger, it can continue to process and not run down the battery as opposed to off power when it goes into sleep mode or if plugged into a PC, it will not allow you to see the screen or know if it's processing. (maybe someone can answer that).

I found doing things in mass storage mode works. Go to volume screen, make sure volume is at 80% and touch and hold upper right corner until text window pops up, scroll down to MTP settings and select mass storage and SAVE. If you do not do this, you won't be able to save or copy data onto the microSDcard in the 3490 from BaseCamp.

Troubleshooting: when having problems, delete the .gpx files on the 3490 and under Garmin/gpx and clear user data. Same screen as above select "clear user data" or when first turning on 3490, when first copywrite shows up, hold lower right screen and then select "clear user data". Of course before clearing user data, make sure you have the data, waypoints, routes, saved in either BaseCamp or MapSource. Alternativly you can or you might also have to delete waypoints and routes in the 3490. To delete waypoints, hit Where to Go button on main screen then "Saved", then the menu and either delete all or select the ones you want to delete. On the routes, go to Apps, Trip Planning and select the route then the menu button (three horizontal bars) and select delete route. Also, when in mass storage mode and connected to a PC, pull up a CMD window and run CHKDSK H: and CHKDSK I: both drives to make sure there are no problems with the internal drive/flash and the microSD card (substitute H: and I: with the correct drive letters from your machine). If you have errors, run CHKDSK H: /f to correct them.

The other good thing of going into Mass Storage mode is you can make a backup of the entire device including the ".system" directory on your hard drive just in case you need to put things back later if you screw up, etc.

Only copy those things into the main unit that you want to be there all the time. The single trip stuff can remain on the microSD card.

If you work with BaseCamp on one machine at home and another at work, be sure to export the My Collection.gpx and backup the BaseCamp.Backup onto the SD card in a separate directory so you can transfer to the other machine and import them before you startup BaseCamp so you don't lose changes made on other machine.

I've had the device only a couple weeks so am still learning and maybe I'm doing some things wrong from above and if so, please advise! I'm working with both BaseCamp for the planning and then MapSource to export the map so maybe that's redundant. Not sure how to use Waypoint categories yet in Mapsource so I'd like to know that as I believe that would be useful. Having all my own waypoints show up in a big list on the 3490 is not as desirable if they are categorized such as Hotels, Restaurants, etc so I'd like to know how to reliably do that and edit them. I started categorizing them with MapSource so I think that might be the ticket. The new BaseCamp also has Lists and List Folders but they seem to be duplicated in the higher level so not sure the usefulness. Also the routes in BaseCamp seem to automatically pull in the waypoints used which is logical but makes "Routes" alone not a possibility.

The other thing I want to learn is how to MapSource and export City Maps that I can use in Google Earth on an Android or even iPhone or iPad so I can use them offline (no cell turned on) while in Europe.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Sorry, but I am confused by what you're doing. Why would you export a .gpx file from Basecamp and import it into Mapsource? The two programs do the same things, but Basecamp can "talk" to your 3490 in MTP mode while Mapsource requires that you use USB Mass Storage.

I really don't understand the part about gmapsupp.img files. Routes, tracks and waypoints are your own user data and have nothing to do with gmapsupp.img, which is just Garmin's map data. Are you creating smaller maps from City Navigator and then sending them to the device as gmapsupp.img? I can't see any reason why you would want to do that. I think you may be confusing "maps" with "routes".

There is no way to export the map for use with Google Earth or smartphone apps. There is a way to export routes to use in other applications. However, Garmin's iPhone StreetPilot app cannot use maps, waypoints or routes from an external source (according to the FAQ at Garmin Support). This seems like a severe limitation to me, but I guess they do it to avoid competing with their standalone PND's.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Thanks for the Quick response!

In MapSource I'm creating a gmapsupp.img map that has all the waypoints and routes I planned out in BaseCamp (which I imported). I'm exporting the gmapsupp.img in order to save on the size of the space on my microSD card and also have all the waypoints saved in that map. Maybe I don't need to do that but I found earlier when I did that that the waypoints were persistent on the 3490 and I thought I would want them persistent. Persistent means even if I delete them from the 3490 and wipe user data, etc, it still reads it from the gmapsupp.img file. Maybe I'm wrong on that point (that the waypoints are not sent along in the gmapsupp.img file) but I think that's why that happened. I have all the latest versions of the softwares. I've only had the device a couple weeks (still have my old Garmin 12XL though) so I'm still a "Newbie on the Nuvi"
  • popej 57 Points
    Your waypoints aren't compiled into gmapsupp.img, they are separate object and they are sent in separate file. I think you will get the same result, if you send only waypoints to SD.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    I just checked it again. When you "transfer" out from MapSource my upcoming trip to EUROPE, the choice to add waypoints and routes is there with the map and I choose that (to be persistent). The only thing transferred is the one gmapsupp.img file (no other files). When I'm back in BaseCamp and in Mass Storage mode, I can see the SD drive and the Unit drive and the waypoints are NOT in the Unit drive but ARE in the SD drive. Since the SD only has the one gmapsupp.img file, it must be inside that file somehow as I transferred the file to the HD initially on the PC and only copied that one file to the SD drive. On the unit itself, disconnected from the PC, I see only the waypoints (Where To?-Saved) that I added to the Unit drive (the local waypoints), but if I go into Apps, TripPlanner, everything is there for the EUROPE trip. So the future europe stuff doesn't clog up my normal day-to-day use in the US.

I agree that Google Maps, if they can resist the cell carriers insistance NOT to allow it, if you can somehow have Google download the maps for use using the GPS of the phone, offline from cell, then Garmin might not be viable much longer!
  • sussamb 813 Points
    As popej and Boyd have told you, waypoints aren't part of the gmapsupp.img file.

Have a look in the GPX folder. Do you see a file there called userdata.gpx? Or maybe it's called somethingelse.gpx, but it won't be current.gpx.

That userdata.gpx or somethingelse.gpx is the file that contains your waypoints :wink:
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    which gpx folder are you referring to? There is one on the root of the Nuvi and another under Garmin on the SD card. Regardless, if I only copy the one gmapsupp.img file from the HD to the Garmin SD card under Garmin, then the waypoints had to go along with it. Maybe the Nuvi self creates those in a separate file later which is fine. The point is these waypoints don't show up on the nuvi unless I look at the planned trips.

Right now, under the SD card Garmin/gpx, I have 17 routes labeled route1.gpx, etc. and one additional file labeled waypoints.gpx I did not create these, they were self created by each route that I created in BaseCamp and then transferred into Mapsource which then went to the gmapsupp.img file.

Under the Nuvi directory GPX, there are two .gpx files: Current.gpx and temp.gpx. If I delete those, I believe only the local waypoint will be deleted.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    OK, one more go. The gmapsupp.img is a map file. Any other waypoints sent to your nuvi were not included in that file and then 'self created' by the nuvi. If they were separate waypoints then they will be somewhere in a separate file, if they were part of routes then they will be part of the file that contains the routes. They may all be in the same file depending on what you did but it will be a gpx file and not an img file.

I'm still confused as to why you are creating stuff in Basecamp and then moving it to Mapsource, but hey, if it works for you :wink:
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Just to be clear, I have things exactly the way I want them. I'm just wondering if there was a better way to get there than the steps I took. When I used just BaseCamp and the City Navigator files, I had huge space taking up on SD card plus all waypoints created, both europe and local were there to pick from when I just wanted to go locally (before my trip). I'm also wanting to know the in's and out's of the device and the softwares better. Note I am sending the info from Mapsource to the HD on the PC, not directly to the Nuvi. I'm copying the one file later.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    OK, one more go. The gmapsupp.img is a map file. Any other waypoints sent to your nuvi were not included in that file and then 'self created' by the nuvi. If they were separate waypoints then they will be somewhere in a separate file, if they were part of routes then they will be part of the file that contains the routes. They may all be in the same file depending on what you did but it will be a gpx file and not an img file.

I'm still confused as to why you are creating stuff in Basecamp and then moving it to Mapsource, but hey, if it works for you :wink:
    OK, now I see what you mean. When I transfer and select waypoints and routes, Mapsource also creates a GPX folder on the HD and in that folder is a file userdata.gpx The thing is I didn't copy that file to the Nuvi but what I probably did is in BaseCamp, it might have created those 17 routes plus waypoints when I was playing with the same trip. So I suppose if I had put the userdata.gpx on the SD card, I might be able to delete the tracks? Anyhow it's working fine. Thanks for the persistence in making me look again to discover that GPX directory and the userdata.gpx file.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Note: the only waypoints I included in the Europe trip are those ON the routes. I have no added waypoints that are not in a route. I suppose there might be another file if I had done that.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Note2: The 17 routes and waypoints.gpx were somehow created by probably BaseCamp. I know I didn't do that because I never named those routes. There are only 13 routes in my Europe trip so the other 4 are local routes which I also had created. So not sure how those got created and named as they did. They are on the sd card under Garmin/GPX
  • sussamb 813 Points
    Well at a guess you must have created them :wink:

Note that if you create anything in Basecamp (waypoints, routes etc) and you're working with a folder in the left hand pane selected that's where they will be saved. So if you created the routes while the sd card was selected that is how they got there :)
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    Well at a guess you must have created them :wink:

Note that if you create anything in Basecamp (waypoints, routes etc) and you're working with a folder in the left hand pane selected that's where they will be saved. So if you created the routes while the sd card was selected that is how they got there :)
    You're probably right. Playing around with all these programs, and options and at my age, keeping track of what I did when is not my forte. I just know I didn't name them so Basecamp must have done that for me. I've erased and restarted so many times, finally I have want I want and just trying to lay down a cookbook how to do it again for another trip without all the trial and error of this time. The goal is keep the foreign stuff on the SD with maps minimized for the trip alone and leave the unit itself clean with only the local waypoints. Not sure why I'm worried about the maps on the SD card as it's a 32Gig microSD and has plenty of room for the entire city navigator maps and more but I just feel the device will be more efficient if I can trim it down only to where I'm going plus a hundred miles or so around just in case.
  • sussamb 813 Points
    :lol: :lol:

I feel your pain. I'm no spring chicken myself :wink:

It took me a while to get the hang of Basecamp after Mapsource but now I reckon I know what I'm doing about 50% of the time :?

Holler again should you want help.
  • nhirsch 0 Points
    :lol: :lol:

I feel your pain. I'm no spring chicken myself :wink:

It took me a while to get the hang of Basecamp after Mapsource but now I reckon I know what I'm doing about 50% of the time :?

Holler again should you want help.
    Thanks sussamb. I might do that. I got MapSource years ago when I had a bluewater map for my boat. Most of my playing around was back in 12XL days when I just found it was as amazing as the HP-35 was when it came out. The thing that is most amazing to me now is going into google maps, chosing a route, and selecting the GL mode and clicking on 3D. You basically fly the entire route from like 300 ft or so above the ground in 3D. You can stop it, etc. Google Maps also give you choices of the route on the same screen so you can take a look, then if you aren't sure, just "fly" the different routes, one by one to pick what you prefer. I did that picking routes thru the swiss alps for this trip. Really amazing. When I get a little older, I might just make the trips that way from my couch! :shock: