Just ordered a Triton 1500

Boyd 1311 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Handheld Forum
I found the 1500 on sale, and in a moment of weakness placed an order :o

I have been looking for a Windows CE based handheld for awhile so I can run OziExplorer CE and make use of the many maps which I've already created in this format. I've been running it on an HP iPAQ 310 for the past couple years, but that unit is really not suited to handheld use and it also appears that the battery will no longer hold a charge :(

The Tritons can be "unlocked", allowing you to install 3rd party software, so I'm gonna give it a try. I also see that you can now make your own maps for Magellan, and I already have much of the software and content needed for that.

I will post my impressions and experiences after I've had a chance to play around a bit.

Comments

• Tim 1274 Points
    Interesting, can't wait to hear what you think. I'm still seeking a Windows CE based device with a ~4-5 inch screen that is waterproof, comes with GPS built in, and doesn't cost a fortune. The new Zumo would be close except it isn't Windows CE.
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Well the Triton doesn't meet your screen size criterion - 2.7" QVGA 320x240 screen (I guess QVGA means 1/4 VGA?). Wish it were a little bigger and higher resolution myself, but I think it will do (the Oregon is 240x400, 60csx is 240x160, PN-40 is 220x176).

But it looks like a nice form factor for handheld use, and I don't think a 4" or 5" screen would be very good for that. Magellan also makes the MobileMapper 6 which looks like basically the same thing in black but with full Windows Mobile and a price tag approaching $1000 :shock:
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    The Triton has arrived and I've only played with it for a short while. Will post some detailed comments later, but my initial impression is "it's no Oregon". User interface is not as nice as the Oregon, it's bigger and less elegant. Have not used any of the Magellan maps yet.

However, unlocking windows CE was really simple, thanks to the great work done by a member of the tritonforums. I don't want to link to another site unless it's cool, but it was very straightforward - download a file archive, unzip, copy to SD card, insert, boot the Triton and I had a Windows CE computer in my hand! Installing OziExplorer was equally easy. I will spare the details unless there's interest, but it is up and running.

The whole process, including download of the mod, copying all my maps, downloading and installing the new version of Ozi took less than half an hour. Very nice! I now have a rugged handheld running OziExplorer with all my maps.

More info and some screenshots will follow...
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Here are some screenshots of OziExplorer CE running on the Triton 1500

I will want to tweak this a bit, but I am quite happy with the way this program works on the Triton. The menu, cursor and escape buttons were all recognized but not the zoom buttons. Ozi has a separate screen designer program which lets you customize the interface and define buttons so I'll want to spend more time with that.

I did not fare so well with Magellan's own software however. After installing Vantage Point, my Triton was not recognized by Windows XP. I tried reinstalling and going through the troubleshooting tips on Magellan's site, but no luck so far. I actually spent more time trying to get this to work than installing and configuring the whole OziExplorer package.

It's unfortunate that this nice hardware doesn't have better software support. Will spend more time on this later...
  • How much of the USA/North America can be stored in that amount of high detail?
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Good question. I assume you are talking about this image:

I made that map quite awhile ago the "hard way" by stitching together google earth screenshots. I have better tools for this now. But it covers an area about 20 miles x 20 miles (400 square miles) and after converting to the .ozfx3 format used by OziCE I have about a 20MB file. So that would be about 50kb/sq mi.

Just looking at my own state of NJ it would (theoretically) take 435MB if those numbers hold up. But of course states are not rectangular but image files are, so it's hard to come up with a really accurate number this way. And image compression will be more efficient for some places as compared to others.

At that rate you might be able to fit all of Texas on a 16GB memory card. :D
  • Marc 191 Points
    So is the Triton toast now or can you recover it with the 3rd party software?
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    Sorry, you lost me there - my Triton was never "toast". Are you referring to the problem I had getting it recognized by Windows? Sorry, I should have followed up on that. After re-booting, Magellan's Vantage Point software correctly recognized the unit and now works as it should. It would have been nice if it worked right out of the box, but no big deal. At no time was there any problem with the Triton itself, just the Magellan Windows USB driver.

I don't understand why Magellan doesn't provide a USB disk mode like other brands instead of using proprietary drivers. Either way.... whatever. I doubt that I will be using the native Magellan software. I am liking OziExplorer more and more on the Triton; it's really a very nice Windows CE platform to run that program.

If anybody wants to try this themselves, there is actually a really easy way to get OziExplorer CE running on the Trition in just a few minutes without any "hacking" or altering of the unit. Here's how:

1. Download OziCE from this link:

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/ozice/downloads/v2a/wince_core_runtime_arm.zip

2. Extract all the files and folders from the .zip archive and copy them to the root directory of a blank SD memory card.

3. Find the file OziExplorerCE.exe and change the name to tocopy.exe

4. Put the card in the Triton and start it up. You will boot directly into OziExplorer. It will run in Demo mode (prints DEMO on the screen) until you register the program.
  • Marc 191 Points
    Thanks for the update. Yes, I misunderstood and thought that when you ran the Magellan Vantage software you trashed the Triton. Glad to hear that it wasn't so. I always thought the Tritons were a nice hardware design plagued by horrible firmware. It took them years to even make them anywhere near useful. Maybe with the third party hacking they will become nice units at bargain prices.
  • Boyd 1311 Points
    The hardware does feel solid. I wish the buttons weren't quite so hard to push though. And it seems rather large and clunky - bigger than a 60csx and much bigger than an Oregon. And the touchscreen really isn't integrated into the design the way it is with the Oregon. I guess this was done so that Magellan could use the same software on the non-touchscreen versions?

Using OziExplorer, the hardware buttons aren't such a bad thing though. The hardware buttons free up screen pixels for the map which would be needed for soft buttons.

Basically the hardware looks the same as their MobileMapper 6 professional unit which runs full Windows Mobile and costs about $1000:

http://pro.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=1293

But if you read the various reviews and reports from unhappy users in different forums, the Triton really doesn't get much love. Seems like Magellan has addressed most of those issues, but they may have already missed the boat with this product.