The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Garmin MapSource & BaseCamp Updates

Spyder63 211 Points
MapSource App Update - as of April 20, 2009

Download it Here

Change History
Changes made from version 6.15.4 to 6.15.6:

* Fixed an issue with the file save dialog when the file extension field is hidden.
* Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash if the route avoidance dialog would be displayed twice.
* Fixed waypoint category filter issue. Now only waypoints of the selected category will be displayed.
* Fixed waypoint prefixes.
* Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash with certain address searches.
* Fixed memory leaks in the waypoint dialog and map rendering.
* Fixed an issue with saving gpx files when the file path contains Asian characters.
* Fixed some hotkey issues.
* Fixed an issue with searching for certain POIs.
* Fixed an issue with how unlock codes were stored that caused incompatibilities with applications like Training Center.
* Support Web Link Extensions in Brazilian Portuguese.
* Changed waypoint image size to follow the user selected symbol size.

Comments

• Spyder63 211 Points
    12 October

Garmin has posted MapSource software version 6.15.7.

Changes made from version 6.15.6 to 6.15.7:

* Fixed an issue where maps could not be transferred on certain non-English Windows installations.
    * Reduced size of symbols when configured to use small symbols.
    * Fixed an issue finding campgrounds on some newer map products.
  • I have a Garmin 260. Is this software correct for my unit?
  • Actually.. after playing around with MapSource, I have to say it really sucks and is NOT very intuitive. MapQuest FTW!
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    That is a common complaint about mapsource, although I think the newer versions are a bit better. However, it does a lot of other things in addition to route planning which Mapquest can't do. And, of course, it also works without an internet connection because the maps are stored on your computer.
  • Well.. after trying to put waypoints (or vias) into my routes becuase it wants to route the LONGEST way everytime, I found MapSource to do the exact same thing as the Garmin and try to route me in circles, go on and off the highway, and make u-turns..

God I really wanted a Navigon :( . Think this thing is gonna haveta head back for a refund....
  • RGM 0 Points
    Now available: MapSource 6.15.11 (see http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209 ) as of February 1, 2010:

Changes made from version 6.15.7 to 6.15.11:
    * Improved performance for custom draw elements.
    * Made sure waypoints of type 'Geotagged Photo' don't crash MapSource.
    * Allowed the import and export of unlock codes.
    * Made sure unlocking changes get propagated without needing to restart the application.
    * Phone numbers that were imported from gpx files were not written back out again. This is now fixed.
    * Added support for enhanced map security.
    * Fixed unlocking issue.
    * Implemented Asian 6-level address search.
    * Improved trimming performance for some Asian map products.
  • I have version 6.15.9. When I check for updates via the "check for updates" in this version, it shows "no software updates available". Is executing the download pointed to by the above link the only way to update MapSource?
  • Is there a way I can make a tracking route an actual route? Id prefer the actual way I go to work rather than the 2 other directs my 1390T wants to take me, but I cant seem to figure out how to edit the actual Route it takes. Any ideas?
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Your 1390t does not support custom routing, so unfortunately this isn't possible. There would be ways to do it on the 1490t and some of the other Garmin models, but not the 13x0 series.

Also, you can't send tracks from Mapsource to any of the Nuvi's. You can receive tracks from the Nuvi, but not send them back to it.
  • Spyder63 211 Points
    MapSource software version 6.16.0.3 Beta

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4879

Notes:

* WARNING: This software will not work unless you already own a MapSource product.
    * MapSource requires Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later operating system.
    * This Beta is a separate program that will need to be un-installed after expiration.
    * Although this software is believed to be reliable, it has not yet been released for production and should be used at your own risk.

Change History

Changes made from version 6.16.0.2 to 6.16.0.3:

* Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash when changing the detail level after opening the settings dialog.
    * Fixed various crashes related to the map tool.
    * Fixed an issue where GPX files written by MapSource were not valid.
    * Waypoints, routes and tracks will again be sorted correctly.
    * Improved projection for Canadian map products.
    * Fixed an issue where routes would not be displayed continuously.
    * Fixed an issue with using the ENTER key in the 6-level address search (for Asian map products).
    * Fixed an issue where MapSource would crash when viewing bridge properties.
    * The unlock code list can now be sorted.
    * POI address and phone number information is now displayed by MapSource and can be edited.

Changes made from version 6.15.11 to 6.16.0.2: Where did this come from? When was it announced/available?

* Fixed memory issues and crashes when running MapSource under Windows 7.
    * Map projection for many map products was improved. The projection angle is now based on the extents of the map product.
    * Fixed issues with reading and writing large GPX files.
    * Improved rendering performance.
    * Added support for 64-bit USB device drivers.
    * MapSource will now zoom in and out when the mouse wheel is used.
    * Added generic label descriptions (less 'unknown' features).
    * Fixed various categories and subcategories that affected find operations and the display of POI categories and subcategories.
    * Relevant data can now be imported from TCX files.
    * Added very small and very large symbol size selection.
    * Made sure to remember search category in 'Find Nearest' dialog.
    * Fixed issues with file dialog (in some cases, existing files were overwritten without prompting).
    * Changed route via point symbol to small black dot. Symbol can be changed via registry.
    * Fixed some issues with the Swedish grid.
    * Added New Zealand TM grid.
    * Fixed issue with address search when a city name was supplied.
    * The total length of all selected tracks/routes will now be displayed in the status bar.
    * Fixed loss of mixed-case characters when transferring routes to USB devices.
    * Routes, tracks and waypoints are now sorted numerically.
    * Fixed an issue with the refreshing of the route avoidances dialog.
    * Fixed issue with finding elevation features.
    * Fixed an issue where the comment field would be mangled up after creating a waypoint from a find result.
    * Maps that are locked because of a missing signature file will be displayed as 'unauthenticated' in the Map Product Manager.
    * After a crash, the user now has the option to send an error report directly to Garmin.
  • SergZak 216 Points
    MapSource 6.16.1 released

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Change History

Changes made from version 6.15.11 to 6.16.1:

* Added support for 64-bit USB device drivers.
    * Added generic label descriptions (less 'unknown' features).
    * Added support for importing relevant data from TCX files.
    * Added very small and very large symbol size selection.
    * Added support for editing waypoint address and phone number information.
    * Added New Zealand TM grid.
    * Added display of the total length of all selected tracks/routes in the status bar.
    * Added numeric sorting of routes, tracks and waypoints.
    * Added ability to send error reports directly to Garmin after a crash.
    * Improved memory issues when running MapSource under Windows 7.
    * Improved map projection for many map products.
    * Improved speed of 'finalizing' step when transferring data to SD cards.
    * Changed mouse-wheel functionality to zoom in and out.
    * Changed 'seasonal closures' avoidance option to 'date and time closures'. MapSource will now route over roads that have time-of-day and seasonal closures if this avoidance option is not checked.
    * Changed route via point symbol to small black dot.
    * Fixed various categories and subcategories that affected find operations and the display of POI categories and subcategories.
    * Fixed some auto-routing oddities.
    * Fixed remembering 'Find Nearest' dialog search category.
    * Fixed issues with 'Save As' file dialog (in some cases, existing files were overwritten without prompting).
    * Fixed some issues with the Swedish grid.
    * Fixed issue with address search when a city name was supplied.
    * Fixed loss of mixed-case characters when transferring routes to some USB devices.
    * Fixed an issue with the refreshing of the route avoidances dialog.
    * Fixed an issue with finding elevation features.
    * Fixed an issue where the comment field would be incorrect after creating a waypoint from a find result.
    * Fixed an issue where transferring data from a mass-storage device would fail.
  • gatorguy 191 Points
    Good to see the 14th item in the changelog. :)
  • Spyder63 211 Points
    BaseCamp software version 3.0.5 as of June 10, 2010
    Download (128.86 MB)

Notes:

* Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later is required.
    * .NET framework 3.5 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
    * 1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
    * A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
    * If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
    * BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
    * BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.

Changes made from version 3.0.4 to 3.0.5:

* Added localization for the following languages: Chinese (Traditional), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian (Bokmal), Polish, Russian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish, Swedish
    * Added the ability to unlock BirdsEye Imagery for a specific device.
    * Added support to recognize European Topographic cards as retail products.
    * Improved map projection when printing BirdsEye Imagery.
    * Change to preserve subfolders when writing Garmin Custom Maps.
    * Change to correctly resolve relative paths in links on waypoints received from devices.
    * Change to use a more reasonable zoom level when selecting 'Show on map' for a single find result or waypoint.
    * Change to update the database to reflect missing images when doing a 'Restore' when the images were excluded from the backed up.
    * Change to preserve selection of device when starting BirdsEye wizard, if a device was previously selected.
    * Change to read maps on SD cards written to the \Map subfolder.
    * Fixed auto-routing issues on certain maps.
    * Fixed copy/paste of geotagged photos from a device not copying the photo.
    * Fixed possible issues when launching an external file or URL link.
    * Fixed issues when reading geotagged photos with invalid timestamps.
    * Fixed displaying postal code twice in POI property balloons in some European maps.
    * Fixed issues geotagging photos with Asian language paths.
  • Carbo 0 Points
    I have the 1390T. It is showing a Basemap NR 3.00
    Is the update 3.05 mentioned above referring to this?
  • maptechie 0 Points
    No, Basecamp is a program that live on your PC and uses the maps on your GPS as it's database. The basemap on the GPS itself it entirely different product.
  • Carbo 0 Points
    I figured as much. Just wanted to take advantage of all the brain power that hangs out here. :wink:
    Thank you.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    New version has just been released:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Changes made from version 6.16.1 to 6.16.2:

* Improved handling of invalid gpx files from devices.
    * Improved handling of missing components, MapSource will now display a message indicating the missing component.
    * Changed number of most recently used files from 4 to 10.
    * Fixed some untranslated strings.
    * Fixed an issue with saving as gpx and dxf in the Dutch localization.
    * Fixed a routing issue with third party map products.
    * Fixed several other routing issues.
    * Fixed an issue where MapSource would not remember the icon size setting correctly.
    * Fixed an issue with deleting waypoints from a route.
    * Fixed a map drawing issue.
    * Fixed display of ampersands on the map.
    * Fixed an issue with creating waypoints on certain features.
  • 6.16.3 released October 25th:
    Changes made from version 6.16.2 to 6.16.3:

* Fixed some map display issues (22s & 71s labels instead of highway names).
    * Fixed Pedestrian routing.
    * Fixed some other routing issues.
    * Fixed Find Nearest Waypoints issue.
    * Fixed vertical profile custom scale settings (right-clicking on the scale of the vertical profile).
    * Fixed selection issue (waypoints were not de-selected when selecting a track before).
    * Fixed an issue where MapSource did not remember the grid setting correctly.
    * Fixed an issue with the updating process.
    * Fixed sort by number of via points in the route tab.
    * Fixed an issue with spot soundings.
    * Fixed a Polish localization issue.
    * Made MapSource more robust when encountering invalid map products.
    Also BaseCamp updated to 3.1.1 on October 19th - but neither has addressed the route transfer to 3790 issue.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    The 3700 route transfer fix was not expected in this update. From Garmin's knowledge base:
    At this time the nuvi 3700 series does not have the ability to manually receive created routes from MapSource or any third party applications.

Garmin intends to add this functionality into the nuvi 3700 series via a software update sometime in the future. Current plans call for the update to be released in the first quarter of 2011.
  • Spyder63 211 Points
    BaseCamp software version 3.1.3 as of February 7, 2011
    Download (125.19 MB) Download it Here
    Notes:

• * Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later is required.
      * .NET framework 3.5 SP1 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
      * 1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
      * A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
      * If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
      * BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
      * BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.

Changes made from version 3.1.2 to 3.1.3:

• * Added support for handling changes to LOC file format.
      * Improved error handling for various map issues.
      * Improved error handling for overlay issues.
      * Changed default name of BirdsEye Imagery created from other user data to reflect name of selected item.
      * Fixed issue where the basemap from the GPSMAP 78s was not displayed.
      * Fixed issue where Topo Australia map was not displayed.
      * Fixed issue where the Worldwide Aviation Basemap was not displayed correctly.
      * Fixed issue with changing selection after removing waypoint from route.
      * Fixed issue with deleting routes that span the Anti-Meridian.

• arkville 0 Points
    I have three garmin devices, two of which are Nuvi's. I am very satisfied with the operation and ease of use, however their update downloads are a disaster.

Last night I updated maps and it took a couple hours to download on a high spped cable connection. Then I noticed a software update that was also available, so attempted to download that. After 5 hours being connected it had only downloaded 2 percent, so I canceled it. Now I hope the GPS will work properly. Semms OK right now.

You would think with today's technology they could do much better on these downloads. What a shame, probably won't buy another or attempt any more downloads. :(
  • sussamb 163 Points
    I've only once experienced a problem with a download, and that was down to a firewall problem. I'd check that before you look elsewhere for problems.
  • arkville 0 Points
    I'll check out the firewall. How long does your downloads normally take?
    Thanks for the help.
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Between one and 2 hours for a map update to both PC for mapsource and onto my nuvi, software updates depend on the update but generally just a few minutes.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Please note that this thread is for discussion of Mapsource and Basecamp, Garmin's mapping programs. We have other threads that are dedicated to discussion of map and firmware downloads. Please use these in the future so we can keep things on topic - thanks!

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/155700/#155700

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/155298/#155298
  • t923347 186 Points
    Basecamp 3.2.2 now available for the PC and MAC

More info (For Mac) : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4450

More info (For PC) : http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

PC Changelog

Fixed an issue with migrating waypoints with thumbnails from previous versions of BaseCamp to 3.2.1. This issue could have corrupted the database.
    Fixed an issue with tracks that had been duplicated becoming corrupted.
    Added a prompt to notify the user when data loss might have occurred.
    Added a 'restore from previous version' menu item.
    Added support for exporting of fitness data (heart rate and cadence) in tracks.
    Changed to attempt to fix the paths in Garmin Custom Maps (KML ground overlay) files at start-up without notifying the user that there were problems with the file.
    Changed the message displayed at start-up when the current video mode/card doesn't support 3D.
    Improved initial download size estimates for some BirdsEye products.
    Fixed some issues with undo/redo.
    Fixed several issues related to application shutdown.
    Fixed an issue with not recognizing Garmin mode USB device (such as the GPSMap 60) arrival and removal.
    Fixed several issues related to aborting transfers to Garmin mode USB devices.
    Fixed some issues related to ejecting mass storage devices.
    Fixed some issues with changing folder selection while using the BirdsEye wizard.
    Fixed an issue with reading geotagged photos from many smartphones.

MAC changelog

Fixed receiving from Oregons getting stuck for some geocache users.
    Fixed startup crashes some users were experiencing.
    Fixed possible track corruption when duplicating and then editing tracks.
    Fixed loss of photo waypoint thumbnails, added automatic thumbnail recovery when first starting 3.2.2.
    Fixed adding/removing via points to a route setting its activity to the current app setting.
    Fixed the creation of routes from tracks potentially creating too many via points.
    Fixed a possible crash when sending routes to the Edge 800.
    Fixed the error dialog for 3D rendering issues coming up multiple times in a row.
    Fixed a bug that would mistakenly open some waypoint photo links as web links.
    Fixed a possible crash when attempting to show a route on the map.
    Fixed Topo Great Britain's display when rotated in 2D.
    Fixed a possible route profile crash for routes with the same point multiple times.
    Fixed found address markers being the wrong color.
    Fixed other miscellaneous bugs.
    Fixed BirdsEye Imagery with slashes in the name creating directories on the device.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    BaseCamp 3.3.0.2 Beta is available (Windows)

http://developer.garmin.com/apps/BC/BaseCamp_3.3.0.2_Beta.exe

From Garmin's own BaseCamp Support Forum
    BaseCamp 3.3 is here! We are starting off with an early Beta release to give everyone a chance to check out the new features and pound on it for a little bit before we release the final version.

We have incorporated a lot of user requests from this very forum. If your desired feature/bug fix didn't make it into this release, don't hesitate to remind us.

We are very interested in your feedback, please report bugs and oddities you find, and comment on the new features.

• Added collapsible list folders and sub-lists for improved organization.

• Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.

• Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.

• Added support for transfer of waypoint categories on supporting devices. These are displayed in BaseCamp as lists.

• Added more activity profiles, with improved activity routing on supported maps.

• Added specific avoidances for various road classes, removed the road selection slider.

• Added custom activity profiles.

• Added keyboard short-cuts for editing tools (divide, insert, erase).

• Added a tools menu for easier discovery of tool keyboard shortcuts.

• Changed to make GPX files on a memory card directly editable.

• Changed to read all GPX files on a memory card, similar to how devices behave.

• Improved graphing of track data.

• Improved graphing when multiple routes or tracks are selected.

• Improved layout of geotagged photo, waypoint, route, and track properties.

• Added additional statistics to route and track properties.

• Added 'Center on map' check-box on route and track dialogs.

• Added an easier way to add waypoints to routes (Insert Waypoint button).

• Added additional data fields to waypoints (such as address and phone number).

• Added display and updating of date last modified for waypoints.

• Added display of lists that contain this data item to properties.

• Added receiving geocache visits from devices.

• Added logging geocache visits on OpenCaching.com.

• Added printing of geocaches.

• Added alternate notification mechanism (less annoying pop-ups).

• Added display settings to adjust width of routes and tracks.

• Added support for importing waypoints and tracks from KML/KMZ files.

• Added suggested file name when exporting (so it isn't always 'untitled').

• Added more map details for higher detail setting.

• Added data filters to map view.

• Added preserving the dialog size for each data type.

• Added option to reset track's altitude to map data.

• Added functionality to remember display feature settings per profile.

• Changed 'Remove List and Contents' to 'Remove list and unique contents'.

• Added Shift-Delete short-cut for 'Remove list and unique contents'.

• Improved printing of routes and tracks.

• Fixed issues with sending routes to the zumo.

• Fixed elevation profile labels for Windows XP (no longer invisible).

• Fixed issue when duplicating a route. BaseCamp will now also duplicate the waypoints in that route.

• Fixed issue with the data filter not being remembered between application runs.

See this thread on Garmin's forum for details and screenshots of the new features:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24413
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Mac version of the beta has now also been released
    The beta is downloadable from: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=5704

We are very interested in your feedback, please report bugs and oddities you find, and comment on the new features.

Changes from 3.2.2 to 3.3.0.1 are:

• User data management:

• Added Detailed Data table view for user data

• Added shaping point support. Shaping points are not announced when you reach them. Note that not all devices will support this feature.

• Improved graphing of track data.

• Added display settings to adjust width of routes and tracks.

• Added support for importing waypoints and tracks from KML/KMZ files.

• Added ability for smart lists to follow any or all critiera

• Added ability to drag URL from browser to the waypoint or track Link: field

• Added waypoint category to the waypoint dialog. This is synced with newer devices that support waypoint categories.

• Added contact and address info to the waypoint dialog.

• Added grade to the track dialog.

• Improved printing of routes.

• Fixed issues with sending routes to the zumo.

• Fixed issue when duplicating a route. BaseCamp will now also duplicate the waypoints in that route.

• Activities:

• Added more activity profiles, with improved activity routing on supported maps.

• Added specific avoidances for various road classes, removed the road selection slider.

• Added ability to create custom activity profiles.

• Made activity selectable from relevant preference pages.

• Converting activity profiles where vehicle doesn't match the default for the profile to a custom activity profile.

• General:

• Changed to read all GPX files on a memory card, similar to how devices behave.

• Added the ability to create OpenCaching.com geocaches from a geocache or waypoint.

• Changed notifications from pop-ups to less obtrusive notifications.

• Added ability to use a key to temporarily switch to the hand tool. Defaults to the space key.

• Added ability to switch the behavior of scrolling between zooming and scrolling.

• Fixed an issue where reading data from fitness device caused BaseCamp to crash.

• Fixed an issue with importing certain GPX files with geocaches.

• Fixed an issue where downloading BirdsEye could cause BaseCamp to crash.

Note that we have seen an issue when BaseCamp is launched by the installer at the end of the installation. If you have an issue, report the issue, then just run BaseCamp from the Applications folder.
    See Garmin's forum for discussion here:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=24470
  • t923347 186 Points
    Garmin has release Basecamp version 3.3.1 for the PC today. The change log reads:

Changes made from version 3.2.2 to 3.3.1:

Added collapsible list folders and sub-lists for improved organization.
    Added shaping point support for zumo devices like done in MapSource.
    Added explicit support for shaping points. These will be transferred to supporting devices.
    Added support for transfer of waypoint categories on supporting devices. These are displayed in BaseCamp as lists.
    Added more activity profiles, with improved activity routing on supported maps.
    Added specific avoidances for various road classes, removed the road selection slider.
    Added custom activity profiles.
    Added keyboard short-cuts for editing tools (divide, insert, erase).
    Added a tools menu for easier discovery of tool keyboard shortcuts.
    Changed to make GPX files on a memory card directly editable.
    Changed to read all GPX files on a memory card, similar to how devices behave.
    Improved graphing of track data.
    Improved graphing when multiple routes or tracks are selected.
    Improved layout of geotagged photo, waypoint, route, and track properties.
    Added additional statistics to route and track properties.
    Added 'Center on map' check-box on route and track dialogs.
    Added an easier way to add waypoints to routes (Insert Waypoint button).
    Added additional data fields to waypoints (such as address and phone number).
    Added display and updating of date last modified for waypoints.
    Added display of lists that contain this data item to properties.
    Added receiving geocache visits from devices.
    Added logging geocache visits on OpenCaching.com.
    Added printing of geocaches.
    Added alternate notification mechanism (less annoying pop-ups).
    Added display settings to adjust width of routes and tracks.
    Added support for importing waypoints and tracks from KML/KMZ files.
    Added suggested file name when exporting (so it isn't always 'untitled').
    Added more map details for higher detail setting.
    Added data filters to map view.
    Added preserving the dialog size for each data type.
    Added option to reset track's altitude to map data.
    Added functionality to remember display feature settings per profile.
    Changed 'Remove List and Contents' to 'Remove list and unique contents'.
    Added Shift-Delete short-cut for 'Remove list and unique contents'.
    Added a confirmation dialog for 'Remove list and unique contents'.
    Added hiding of Activity profiles.
    Added creating OpenCaches from waypoints.
    Added calculating ascent and descent for direct routes.
    Added indication of data filter visibility state on the data list.
    Added recalculation of more than 1 route at a time.
    Improved printing of routes and tracks.
    Change to prevent property dialogs becoming lost off screen after screen resolution changes.
    Fixed issues with sending routes to the zumo.
    Update waypoint references to new map data when recalculating routes.
    Fixed any profiles from BaseCamp 3.2 that have invalid routing preferences (ie invalid vehicle types and incorrect avoidances).
    Fixed list in-place rename requiring pressing enter to complete the edit.
    Fixed the 'Reset Headers' context menu being displayed after renaming an item.
    Fixed issue writing out altitude when exporting to the GDB file format.
    Fixed track filtering 'automatic mode' for tracks with no time information.
    Fixed elevation profile labels for Windows XP (no longer invisible).
    Fixed issue when duplicating a route. BaseCamp will now also duplicate the waypoints in that route.

The new release can be downloaded from:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Thanks Rick, been waiting for that having followed the beta releases elsewhere :)
  • A bit of info on the upgrade/update download of the new Basecamp ver. 3.3.1.

If you have Basecamp 3.2.2 and wish to do a manual download and install of the update, then be aware that you may end up with 3.2.2 AUTOMATICALLY starting the download without prompting you if you want to or not.

For folks (like me) who do not like automatic, no choice, downloads of software and updates, this will bug you. This automatic upgrade apparently occurs if, under "Options", "Software Updates" in the older version, you have checked the box for "Check for Updates Automatically". This is misleading since it not only checks for updates, but starts the download anyway...you have no option to elect or defer update downloads; it just does it without asking for permission. No need trying to uncheck the box beforehand because the download process starts when you open 3.2.2.

After the upgrade to 3.3.1, the first thing I did was to go into the options and uncheck the "Check for Updates" box so that I hope I can elect to update when I want to (hopefully).

This is not a major issue, but one that I hate to see happen regarding automatic updates/upgrades.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Basecamp 3.3.2 is now available. The following is quoted from "FALAGAR", one of the developers who posts on Garmin's support site
    BaseCamp 3.3.2 has been released. You can download it manually at http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435, and the update from within BaseCamp should be available later today.

This is a maintenance release, meaning it's mainly bug fixes.

Among other things, this release should fix most cases of where 3.3.1 would not read certain maps from cards/devices.

Also, users on small netbook screens should now be able to close the Welcome Dialog (we made it smaller).

The official change list:

• Changed the view menu data filter options to not be disabled when in map only mode filters.

• Changed the range of allowed ID's for maps on card to reduce ID collisions, this has the side effect of requiring all card products to be re-indexed.

• Changed the default value for the mountain bike profile state highway avoidance.

• Reduced the size of the "Welcome to BaseCamp" dialog so that it fits on smaller screens.

• Fixed an issue when dividing a route with more than one reference to the same waypoint

• Fixed issues when reading a map installed on a card when there are ID conflicts

• Fixed an issue when a route with the "None" profile route doesn't have preferences.

• Fixed an issue where a route that was switched from the "Direct" profile to "None" would ever auto-route.

• Fixed an issue when deleting all waypoints from a route.

• Fixed a shutdown issue.

• Fixed an issue with line breaks in GPX files.

• Fixed an issue related to bad data imported from old MapSource GDB files.

• Fixed an issue where tracks lose all data besides position after doing a sequence of divide, undo, and redo operations.

• Fixed an issue with the application hanging after doing a "Reset Options" when other dialogs are open.

• Fixed an issue when changing folder or list selection.

• Fixed an issue when double clicking on a file while another file was being imported.

• Fixed an issue with data not being migrated between BaseCamp 2.0 and BaseCamp 3.3.

• sussamb 163 Points
    New major update for Basecamp available here:

BaseCamp software version 4.0.1

as of August 30, 2012

Download (52.70 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:
    ◦Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later is required.
    ◦.NET framework 3.5 SP1 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
    ◦Windows Media Player 11 or greater is required (a free download from Microsoft).
    ◦1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
    ◦A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
    ◦If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
    ◦BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
    ◦BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change History

Changes made from version 3.3.3 to 4.0.1:
    ◦Added Garmin Adventures, including; authoring, publishing, online search, downloading, playback, and transfer to supporting devices.
    ◦Added arrival, departure, and layover times for route via-points.
    ◦Added a context menu on the map for the hand and selection tools.
    ◦Added support for waypoint creation date, which will not be changed when updating the waypoint.
    ◦Added a list in the waypoint properties dialog to display which routes a waypoint is used in.
    ◦Added ability to collapse folder groups (like 'My Collection' or 'Devices').
    ◦Added support for temperature and pressure in track statistics and graphs.
    ◦Added support to delete waypoints that are included in a route.
    ◦Added Basestation mode for compatible Astro, Rhino, and Alpha devices.
    ◦Added more columns to the data view for Waypoints, Garmin Custom Maps, GeoCaches and Photos.
    ◦Added support to enter position using alternate grid/datum on the 'Recenter Map To' dialog.
    ◦Added option to save original track when filtering it.
    ◦Added display of the 'placed on' date for GeoCaches.
    ◦Added intersection search when using the 'and' or '&' keywords.
    ◦Added ability to bulk-edit more fields for waypoints.
    ◦Added ability to create waypoint from find results on the map.
    ◦Added ability to transfer subscription-based BirdsEye imagery that contain failed downloads.
    ◦Added ability to toggle the visibility of all toolbars.
    ◦Added display of postal code in address search results.
    ◦Added a read-only 'Unlisted Data' list that contains all items that are in no other lists.
    ◦Added ability to create a route from a named trail.
    ◦Added ability to import into folders and lists (and not always import into My Collection).
    ◦Added header for the folder data list.
    ◦Added ability to duplicate geotagged photos.
    ◦Added link the BaseCamp license agreement in help menu.
    ◦Added ability to undo/redo on supported devices.
    ◦Added ability to drag and drop folders from the file system to BaseCamp (when supported data is present).
    ◦Added ability to accept Google Maps coordinate format when centering map at position.
    ◦Added new dog icons.
    ◦Added waypoint creation date to the waypoint properties dialog.
    ◦Added option to encourage the user to recalculate a route when the map that the route was created with isn't found on the device.
    ◦Added prompt when duplicating a route if BaseCamp should also duplicate the waypoints used in the route.
    ◦Added zooming via Alt/+ Alt/- keys. This is a coarse zoom which zooms in or out a number of zoom levels.
    ◦Added toolbar and menu for simpler device transfer options.
    ◦Improved display when many photos are at the same spot on the map.
    ◦Improved XML processing (so it should now be possible to import and export larger gpx files than previously).
    ◦Improved the measurement tool's display of measurement information.
    ◦Improved behavior when importing data into an already selected list or folder.
    ◦Improved behavior when double-clicking on a list. BaseCamp will now zoom to the data contained in that list.
    ◦Improved default file name for backup. The default name now contains the current date.
    ◦Improved the validation of map coordinates in the Recenter dialog.
    ◦Changed the simple route dialog to transition into the route properties so the route can be edited further.
    ◦Changed icon for gas stations with convenience stores to be the gas station icon, not the shopping cart.
    ◦Clarified the find options (Center of view, Center of selected items). Added hint text to make usage more clear.
    ◦Cleaned up toolbar, hide tools that are used less often by default, always show waypoint, route & track tools.
    ◦Cleaned up route options, made it easier to create custom route settings.
    ◦Fixed the long find toolbar initialization delay after starting BaseCamp or switching to a new map.
    ◦Fixed an issue where a device's SD card would not always be recognized by BaseCamp.
    ◦Fixed numerous issues with finding addresses.
    ◦Fixed an issue where the toolbar would not display the same way after restarting BaseCamp.
    ◦Fixed an issue where the find toolbar would always be displayed after restarting BaseCamp, even though the user chose to hide it.
    ◦Fixed area calculation for tracks.
    ◦Fixed an issue where you could not rename an item from lower case to upper case (like renaming 'washington' to 'Washington').
    ◦Fixed issue where the Geocache symbol was not consistent with found status when importing or adding a geocache.
    ◦Fixed an issue where the preferences dialog would not remember the last sub-selection.
    ◦Fixed an issue with remembering the data filters when switching between app modes.
    ◦Fixed an issue where turning off the display of points would leave a lot of 'shopping cart' POIs on the map for certain map products.
    ◦Fixed an issue where the selection was lost when left-clicking on the map with the hand tool.
    ◦Fixed issues with route/track creation and joining.
    ◦Fixed issues with deleting data on devices.
    ◦Fixed issues with creating routes from tracks.
    ◦Fixed issue when BirsdEye selection box was dragged too far North.
    ◦Fixed issue with displaying custom maps on devices.
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Cross-posted from another thread:
    Garmin has released an update to Basecamp for the PC and MAC. Here is the change log for the PC version:

Added smoothing of speed and heart rate graphs.
    Improved Track Join inside of an Adventure
    Change to not show the "Filter Results" option in the find results if there are no results to filter.
    Fixed layout not being remembered properly between application runs.
    Fixed layout being different after exiting from Adventure playback.
    Fixed an issue with the "References" tab page not being properly updated when changing selection.
    Fixed an issue with route shaping point info being lost when erasing points from a route.
    Fixed an issue with track color being changed when tracks are filtered.
    Fixed an issue with not updating the summary in the route dialog when points are unselected.
    Fixed some issues with login and re-login for MyGarmin services
    Fixed doing an undo while drawing a route ending the route. Now only the last via point is removed.
    Fixed an issue when importing photos with invalid time EXIF data.
    Fixed text messages from Basestation devices being repeatedly notified
    Fixed an issue with route join
    Fixed an issue with the route divide tool
    Fixed an issue with duplicating routes
    Fixed an issue with adding waypoints into routes in an Adventure
    Fixed an issue with line breaks being repeatedly added to GPX files
    Fixed an issue with click & drag on the map hiding properties dialog
    Fixed an issue with importing KML or KMZ files that had downloadable content.
    Fixed an issue with creating a waypoint via the map context menu when a list folder is selected
    Fixed an issue where the waypoint ordering was not updated when changing the main track in an Adventure
    Fixed an issue when clicking on the 'X' to remove a tag from the References tab page.
    Fixed an issue when changing map detail level before putting focus into the map views.
    Fixed an issue where the creation date of a photo waypoint didn't match the creation date of the photo's EXIF data
    Fixed an issue with waypoints sometimes not being shown on the map
    Fixed an issue with some card products not being recognized. Unfortunately this requires re-indexing all card products.
    Fixed various other customer reported issues

Here is the download link:

Here is the changelog for the MAC version:

Changes made from version 4.0.1 to 4.0.2:
    Fixed crash during device transfers
    Fixed crash while quitting BaseCamp
    Fixed crash when importing large files
    Fixed crash when downloading certain adventures
    Fixed issues with uploading adventure logs from devices
    Fixed all white text in summary tab of Route info
    Fixed creation date related to pictures in Waypoint

Here is the download link:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449
  • Boyd 1281 Points
    Note that there might be some issues with losing access to older maps if you use the built-in update feature of Basecamp 4.0.2. I can't quite understand what is happening here though:

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?30912-BaseCamp-4-0-2-Lost-Access-To-MapSource-Maps
  • sussamb 163 Points
    That's now been fixed. There was an issue with loosing the map registration entries if you updated from within Basecamp but the installer has now been updated :)
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Basecamp 4.0.5 has just been released

4.0.5 is a quick maintenance release to fix 2 issues related to folder selection. This release also re-fixes an issue with find toolbar visibility not being remembered.

You can download it at http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ls.jsp?id=4435, or update from within BaseCamp.

Fixed issue when changing list or folder selection with nearest results shown on the map.
    Fixed issue when changing list or folder selection while in the process of drawing a route.
    Fixed issue with find toolbar visibility not being remembered between application runs.
  • sussamb 163 Points
    BaseCamp 4.1.2 is available at

The update from within BaseCamp should also work.

This is a maintenance release, so it's pretty much all bug fixes. No new features were implemented for this version.

The list of changes:
    •Fixed an issue with Basestation mode.
    •Fixed an issue where BaseCamp would not remember the positioning of the toolbars correctly.
    •Fixed an issue where the Custom POI symbols from POI files where incorrect.
    •Fixed an issue with the address search.
    •Fixed an issue where refreshing a search was using the last location on the map, not the current one.
    •Fixed an issue where Cutting (Ctrl-X) a photo on a device would delete the photo and prevent the user from pasting it.
    •Fixed an issue with some Asian language map products.
    •Fixed an issue with deleting track points.
    •Fixed an issue with route creation in a folder.
    •Fixed an issue where the hand tool was not always set as the default tool.
    •Fixed some menu inconsistencies between find results, context menus, and map popup menus.
    •Changed translations of Walking and Hiking activity profiles in Dutch.
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Basecamp 4.2.1 just been published. You should be able to download the installer from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435 or update from within BaseCamp.

List of changes:

• Added Trip Planner
    • Adds an easy way to plan multi-day trips
    • Round trip support
    • Can print a trip itinerary
    • Can add destinations along a route
    • Flying support (airport and flight number look-up)
    • Supports traveling between different time zones
    • Can add Adventures that you'd like to take as part of your trip
    • Routing Improvements
    • Added support for different route profiles for different legs of a route
    • Added RV and Truck routing profiles with special route options
    • Find Improvements
    • Added support for UK postal code search
    • Added support for Yelp search
    • Added support for named POI search (far away POIs should be found if it's an exact name match)
    • Added support for POI category search (you can type 'Hotels, Las Vegas, NV')
    • Added quick search (hover over the map to invoke it)
    • Added ability to display more search results
    • Fixed various find issues
    • Basestation Improvements
    • Added support for displaying BirdsEye while in Basestation mode
    • Added support for displaying and saving the track of the Basestation itself
    • Added support for displaying the most recent update time for Basestation contacts
    • Added support to have different folders and lists with the same name (as long as they have a different parent in the folder hierarchy)
    • Added support for changing the location of BaseCamp's database
    • Added Irish Transverse Mercator grid
    • Fixed an issue where roads from the base map were displaying along with roads from the detailed map
    • Fixed an issue where BaseCamp was not displaying properly localized map labels
    • Fixed issue with Garmap Southern Africa Topo & Rec 2012.3 NT not being displayed in BaseCamp
    • Fixed an issue with certain file names for Adventures and Garmin Cloud

Note that as well as allowing users to change the location of the database you can now run numerous databases,
  • sussamb 163 Points
    Basecamp 4.2.2 just released, available here http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

BaseCamp software version 4.2.2

as of July 22, 2013

Download (55.44 MB)

View installation instructions and system requirements

Notes:
    ◦Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later is required.
    ◦.NET framework 3.5 SP1 is required. A current version of .NET will be installed if needed.
    ◦Windows Media Player 11 or greater is required (a free download from Microsoft).
    ◦1 GB of system memory is required, 2 GB of system memory is recommended when using BirdsEye Imagery or Garmin Custom Maps.
    ◦A video card that supports OpenGL version 1.3 or later is needed to enable the 3D view.
    ◦If you experience problems when interacting with the map views, please make sure that you have installed current video card drivers.
    ◦BaseCamp will recognize all MapSource products except BlueChart.
    ◦BaseCamp does not work with serial GPS devices.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Change History

Changes made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2:
    ◦Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations
    ◦Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner
    ◦Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases
    ◦Fixed issue searching for named trails
    ◦Fixed activity based routing
    ◦Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device
    ◦Fixed issue when using find
  • t923347 186 Points
    Garmin has released a new version of Basecamp for both the PC and Mac. The PC version has the following change log:

Changes made from version 4.2.2 to 4.2.3:

Fixed imported files not creating lists in the proper place
    Added ability to remove and delete user data when a list folder is selected
    Added keyboard arrow key handlers to the geotagged photo properties dialog
    Added support for joining tracks when the track point timestamps don't line up
    Added support for a transparent color in Custom POI files
    Added export of waypoints, routes, and tracks to KML
    Added reading of fitness courses from Edge devices, these are converted to tracks
    Improved quick search responsiveness, speed of searches, and usability
    Improved Trip Planner UI display refresh and sizing behavior
    Change so that 'Install Maps' and 'Check for device software updates' menu items are always visible and enabled
    Change to recalculate the route if needed when the route properties dialog is hidden, not just when selection changes
    Change so that list folders aren't required to have unique names in the same parent folder
    Fixed issue with junction view information in routes not being calculated correctly, may not work on certain older devices
    Fixed issue with track stats not updating after editing the track
    Fixed various issues with Trip Planner
    Fixed issue with reading some map files from newer PND devices
    Fixed issue with some drag/drop operations
    Fixed rounding of dimensions in truck and RV routing options
    Fixed issue with displaying many error dialogs if a device is unplugged during a transfer
    Fixed drag/drop of an Adventure from find results into Trip Planner
    Fixed issue when creating a route from a Yelp find result that failed to geocode
    Fixed issue with fitness data not being preserved when sharing data with Garmin cloud storage

and can be downloaded from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

The MAC version can be downloaded from http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449 and this is the change log:

Changes made from version 4.2.2 to 4.2.3:

Added export of waypoints, routes, and tracks to KML
    Added reading of fitness courses from Edge devices as tracks
    Improved quick search responsiveness, speed of searches, and usability
    Fixed issue where setting a custom activity profiles for a route didn't work
    Fixed issue with junction view information in routes not being calculated correctly
    Change so that list folders aren't required to have unique names in the same parent folder
    Fixed various issues with Trip Planner
    Fixed issue with reading some map files from newer PND devices
    Fixed issue with dragging of a found Adventure into Trip Planner
    Fixed issue with fitness data not being preserved when sharing data with Garmin cloud storage
    Fixed issue with per route leg transportation mode not being round-tripped
    Changed so that the top level folder reflects the library name instead of 'My Collection' if not using default library.
    Made numerous performance improvements especially related to device communications.
    Fixed issue where waypoints used in Trip Planner didn't reflect which folders they were in on the waypoint dialog.
    Fixed hand tool hotkey (ctrl-H)

Changes made from version 4.2.1 to 4.2.2:

Fixed issue that where dragging a find result into the user data pane caused a crash
    Fixed start-up issue when opening some map installations
    Fixed start-up issue with opening Trip Planner
    Fixed activity based routing
    Fixed issue that preventing Shortest Distance to be set in the routing preferences
    Fixed various issues with upgrading legacy databases
    Fixed issue with editing routes received from a device
    Fixed issue that caused GarMap Sub-Saharan Africa Streetmaps to not display