Power options for Nuvi 5000

This will be my second Garmin unit (the other is a 660). I don't really care about the lack of battery power for road trips per se, but after purchasing the unit online yesterday, it dawned on me that most of my routing and destination selections are made at home or in a hotel room. Alternatively, I'll need to write down my travel stops before leaving.

I know the optional Garmin AC adapter is used primarily for charging the battery (for the battery enabled units in the Nuvi line). My question is this: Will the AC adapter simply provide power for this 5000 unit as well? I still prefer to program the GPS indoors before leaving on my road trips.

Thanks.

Comments

• Boyd 1332 Points
    There are two ways to power the 5000. One would be an external Garmin supply. I found one back when I first got my 5000 which was actually made for one of the streetpilot cXXX units. It plugs into the cradle with the same kind of connector that your auto lighter cable uses. If you look at the Nuvi 5000 product page on Garmin's site it should list an AC adaptor.

Alternately, you can get a generic 12v adaptor which plugs into a wall outlet and gives you a cigarette lighter outlet. You would just plug your regular car cable into that.

Both of these solutions require the GPS to be in the cradle unfortunately. There is a USB outlet on the back of the Nuvi 5000 which doesn't work for connecting it to the computer and has always been a mystery to me. Perhaps you could power it using a USB power supply there without the cradle? I have been scared to try for fear that I might damage something, but maybe I will get brave and give it a shot one day :)
  • There is a USB outlet on the back of the Nuvi 5000 which doesn't work for connecting it to the computer and has always been a mystery to me. Perhaps you could power it using a USB power supply there without the cradle? I have been scared to try for fear that I might damage something, but maybe I will get brave and give it a shot one day :)
    Thanks Boyd..very informative answer. I was scrathing my head over that one too. Evidently, the unit comes with a USB cable, but without a power supply, I'd have to plug it into my laptop while in my SUV...unless I'm missing something.

The cradle business is a little bit of a hassle, but I can live with that. (I'm surprised the bigger screen concept didn't catch on, as there's no shortage of people who are far sighted, as I am. As I understand it, the 5000 is now discontinued).
  • I received my 5000 today and purchased a Garmin AC power locally. I didn't need the cradle for it though. It plugged into the mini-USB connector in the back of the unit. I was then able to program the GPS indoors. While not quite as convenient as an internal battery would be, it overcomes any "buyers remorse" I had about this unit. In my estimation, it would have made sense for Garmin to include one of these in the original box.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    (I'm surprised the bigger screen concept didn't catch on, as there's no shortage of people who are far sighted, as I am. As I understand it, the 5000 is now discontinued).
    Where did you get the idea the 5000 is discontinued? I don't think so; it's still listed in Garmin's current line-up:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=11547

They have recently announced the Nuvi 1490T however, which also has a 5" screen:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=36082

Not quite the same thing though. It does have a battery, and although the physical screen size is 5", the resolution is much lower. Nuvi 5000 is 800x480, Nuvi 1490T is 480x272 - only 1/3 of the pixels!
  • biggfromnyc 0 Points
    edited April 2009
    (I'm surprised the bigger screen concept didn't catch on, as there's no shortage of people who are far sighted, as I am. As I understand it, the 5000 is now discontinued).

Where did you get the idea the 5000 is discontinued?
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=36082
    Right here, under product details: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0011UIXLG

Also, when I stopped by Best Buy, they had it tagged as a clearance item (still at an outlandishly high price though). The sales clerk told me it was discontinued.

The lower resolution of the 1490T would probably defeat the purpose of a bigger screen, no? I love the clarity of the 5000. I no longer have to squint or grab my reading glasses to see the screen, which approximates the navigation screen size of car factory units.

So far, my only gripe about the 5000 (and I've only tested it locally) are the wildly optimistic arrival times. I have a fairly heavy foot, but the calculations I'm seeing aren't realistic. If anything, I wished the unit erred on the conservative side instead.
  • Tim 1291 Points
    If Amazon says it is discontinued and Garmin says that it is not, I'd trust Garmin. :)
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    Well it wouldn't really surprise me if they discontinued the 5000, but I also assume that Garmin's site is the definitive resource.

Regarding size vs resolution... I kind of doubt that most people care. They also sell the StreetPilot 7200 which puts 480x272 pixels on a 7" screen! For one thing, Garmin's own maps don't have any kind of detail which takes advantage of the higher pixel count. The maps on the Nuvi 5000 look pretty much the same as they do on the 4" models, just bigger. The extra pixels do make text look smoother and angled lines show less "stair steps".

But for me - I make my own maps, and I can actually use those pixels. If I define a line as one pixel wide, then it looks much thinner on the Nuvi 5000. And if I define a texture map to fill an area, then it will be rendered at a smaller scale which looks much nicer. That's all pretty specialized stuff which 99.5% of the public could care less about, but I like it! :D

It is really quite a significant difference - look at this screenshot of my map on the Nuvi 205 vs the 5000: http://stephencreek.com/gps/205_vs_5000.jpg
  • Nice, Boyd. I'm a bit of a home theater fanatic, so I appreciate the aesthetics of higher resolution, but you're right...It's probably lost on most customers.

BTW, when using the AC power adapter for the 5000, the power button is disabled. It goes on and off by connecting or disconnecting the mini-USB connector. Hopefully, there are no unforseen compatibility issues.

I also connected the USB connector that came in the box to my computer. It also powers up the unit, but only as a drive of some sort. I can't say that feature is of interest to me.
  • Hmmmm.. connecting it as a 'drive' as you say.. is the primary (and maybe ONLY) way you can update the unit with firmware and maps via webupdater...

Sorry, if telling you something you already know.... but your statement seems to indicate you weren't sure how that could be of use :)
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    It also powers up the unit, but only as a drive of some sort. I can't say that feature is of interest to me.
    Believe me, sooner or later it will interest you! :lol:

JohnBoy is right, this is how you copy things to and from the GPS. For starters I strongly recommend that you connect to your computer this way and copy the entire contents of this drive to your computer somewhere. It will take up something like 2GB of space and take a little while. But it is cheap insurance against future nightmares if you have a problem.

• Sorry, if telling you something you already know.... but your statement seems to indicate you weren't sure how that could be of use :)
    Thanks for the benefit of the doubt, but I'll plead ignorant dumb-ass on this one.

I've been using my older 660 exactly as it came out of the box in 2007, and based on my most recent trip to San Diego, it can use a map update (and perhaps a firmware update, if those address dubious routing choices).

I'm new to the forum and I'm learning stuff that hadn't occurred to me before.
  • No Prob there :) Been there, done that too !!

I too am learning (always try to) and like to give others forewarning of the speed bumps I ran into !

My bro-n-law and a freind both bought 660's when they first came out @ retail !!!! and had never updated them....
    actually they still haven''t !!!
    last month when we all met up on an rv trip.. I did it for them from my laptop and aircard in the rv while we were out siteseeing....
    you want to guess how slow the map download was on an aircard ?!?! :lol: :lol:

Just shows you, you don't have to have the latest and greatest software for the gps to be useful...
  • mmsstar 0 Points
    biggfromnyc wrote
    I've been using my older 660 exactly as it came out of the box in 2007, and based on my most recent trip to San Diego, it can use a map update (and perhaps a firmware update, if those address dubious routing choices).
    You can up update the maps for a charge at Garmin but there may not be a newer firmware version. You can find out which version you are running by pressing the upper left corner of the display while starting it up. Or connect the 660 to your pc and go to "My Garmin" and see if it tells you there is an upgrade. I have version 4.60 on my 660 and whenever I connect to "My Garmin" it tells me that there is no newer version
  • realeric 0 Points
    I received my 5000 today and purchased a Garmin AC power locally. I didn't need the cradle for it though. It plugged into the mini-USB connector in the back of the unit. I was then able to program the GPS indoors. While not quite as convenient as an internal battery would be, it overcomes any "buyers remorse" I had about this unit. In my estimation, it would have made sense for Garmin to include one of these in the original box.
    Is there anybody using the Garmin AC power without the cradle for nuvi 5000 ? My nuvi 5000 is switched to disk mode when I plugged into the mini USB connector without the cradle. By the way, I love this gps having super clear 5" screen, auto dimming LCD backlight, POIs on map, large speaker, video input for backup camera, etc.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    It depends on what type of USB power adaptor and cable you are using. Some of them will power the unit normally while others will cause it to go into USB disk mode. This is a general things with Nuvi's and has been discussed frequently.

There is a downside to powering the unit with the USB cable however. You cannot set the screen to full brightness this way. Again, this is a generic issue will all nuvi's which are normally powered in a cradle. For whatever reason, Garmin has designed them so they can only achieve full brightness when using the cradle.

Garmin also makes an AC power adaptor which plugs into the cradle itself, just like the supplied cigarette lighter cord. I have one myself - it was originally design for the discontinued StreetPilot 3x0 series.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    Does the Nuvi 5000's dock have a pass-through connector for the mini-USB connector on the back of the Nuvi 5000? Placing it on the cradle blocks the mini-USB connector on the back of the Nuvi 5000, right?
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    Just purchased a "newly overhauled" Nuvi 5000. Is it normal for the Nuvi 5000 at power on to always ask for country, time zone, etc.?

I think I'll have to send it back if that is normal for it.
  • BullieverBulliever 0 Points

There is a downside to powering the unit with the USB cable however. You cannot set the screen to full brightness this way. Again, this is a generic issue will all nuvi's which are normally powered in a cradle. For whatever reason, Garmin has designed them so they can only achieve full brightness when using the cradle.
    I have zero problems viewing my 755T in GPS mode while it's powered via either AC to USB cable or PC to USB cable.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    IsLNdbOi: No, that is definitely not normal, mine doesn't do that. There's a mini-USB port on the mount itself, but it does not work on the computer and pretty sure I tried with a power brick and that didn't work either.

Bulliver: when you use USB power on your 755, does the screen reach full brightness level? Definitely does not on the Nuvi 5000, and I have seen multiple threads that other Nuvi's with active cradles have the same issue. Perhaps they changed this on the 7x5 series?

I wanted to use an alternate mount and USB power for my Nuvi 5000 so I could swap it with another unit from time to time, but the Nuvi wouldn't go bright enough. I checked and the brightness setting was at maximum.
  • alanb 210 Points
    I don't mean to speak for Bulliever, but my 755T definitely dims down when on USB power. It is real obvious when you pull the USB cord while powered up ... it immediately brightens up.
  • BullieverBulliever 0 Points
    Bulliver: when you use USB power on your 755, does the screen reach full brightness level? Definitely does not on the Nuvi 5000, and I have seen multiple threads that other Nuvi's with active cradles have the same issue. Perhaps they changed this on the 7x5 series?
    Negative, but it is brighter than it needs to be for any of the the lighting conditions that I use it under (mostly brightly lit rooms). I have never used it in car while powered via USB.
  • Boyd 1332 Points
    This issue usually only comes up when people want to use USB power in a vehicle for some reason. For example, there's another thread where someone already had a motorcycle mount that provided USB power.

I guess they figure you don't need it bright indoors? But the lower Nuvi series (2x0, 2x5) use USB power all the time and don't have this issue.
  • I am getting a Nuvi 5000 for the first time replacing 265WT as sometimes I cannot read street names on 265 due to small letters (I normally wear reading glasses to read).
    My question is: can I use the existing wiring for 265WT on Nuvi 5000 (USB mini plug)? I have the 265WT hard wired with Gilsson's direct wiring harness so that I don't have to have a cigarette plug wires hanging around. What cradle are you talking about? Does Nuvi 5000 actually require a wired cradle besides USB miniplug?