The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

How long does this update process take?

Hi everyone,

I am receiving my first automobile GPS today a 255W. I'd really like to update both the firmware and map (I don't think a new one will be out in less than 60 days). The problem is I'm leaving on a trip tonight (thus the purchase) and I will only have three hours by the time I get home and need to leave. Is this enough time to do the following?

I'm "assuming" the steps are:

1) Plug in GPS and let it acquire a signal.
2) Plug it into a computer.
3) Register it online.
4) Download and run Web updater.

I have Comcast internet. How long do you think the whole process will take?

Please, please, please let me know the best way to do this.

Thanks!

Comments

• With your tight window I would hate to get started and not finish or
    worse yet, have the new downloads (or your rush) mess your gps up enough to make it a paper weight....

Consider this - how much has really changed from what you have that you should chance the update?
    Would venture to say very little and the stress / rush is not worth it :)

BUT, if you must....
    You have a laptop u can take with you ? assume you are driving since u are worrying about the gps...

1) do registration, download webupdater, and run webupdater for firmware, voices, etc... Very fast, say less than 15 minute max

2) download map update to laptop but do NOT install... iirc it is 1.92 G and at 300kb/sec or so, anywhere from 45 minutes to a couple of hours depending on load of garmin web site and your connection - and how much free disk space you have ( will nee a BUNCH - did someone say 11 gig ?)

3) download winrar

4) when u are there do unzip ih winrar and run setup.exe...

(obviously bring your cable with u....)

Smart people - did I 'splain it right ? :lol:
  • Last weekend, when I went through the same process with a 250, including downloading an updated map took almost 2 hours for the download (30-40 minutes) and install (1 hour +).

I have a 6 meg/sec dsl connection.
  • I think that could be cutting it close... If everything works as expected you might have just enough time, but I'd skip the map update for now and just do the application update.
  • Thanks everyone. That's what I needed to know.
  • I agree with the others that you should only do the firmware update at this time. The map update would take too long and if anything goes wrong you are screwed.

The firmware updates should take less than 30 minutes. So if you have extra time you may want to consider loading some custom POI (Points of Interest) files on your unit. You can check out www.poi-factory.com It takes less than five minutes to download the POI files and install them on your unit.

This page explains POI files and how to load them on your unit. http//www.poi-factory.com/node/1631