This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Just ordered a Delorme PN-40...

airgunner23airgunner23 0 Points
How much of the most detailed mapping (satellite, aerial, topo, etc) can I fit on the unit? What's the max SD card size will it accept? I want to be able to fit an entire state/region with max map detail and I'm wondering if this is even possible.

Comments

• patruns 10 Points
    According to Delorme it supports SDHC cards and there is "no known limit"..........

http://www.delorme.com/support/SupportTemplate.aspx?id=416
  • I think Tim stated he got 1000 square miles of TOPO, USGS, Aerial on 7GB of storage, and the PN40 can take one of the new 32GB SD cards. He did state the Aerial images were the biggest hog though, so I figure maybe load up all the TOPO and USGS, and only download the Aerial when needed. Aerial imagery is nice, but the USGS is the most important feature on that unit.
    How much of the most detailed mapping (satellite, aerial, topo, etc) can I fit on the unit? What's the max SD card size will it accept? I want to be able to fit an entire state/region with max map detail and I'm wondering if this is even possible.
  • According to Delorme it supports SDHC cards and there is "no known limit"..........

http://www.delorme.com/support/SupportTemplate.aspx?id=416
    Yeah, I know that with the removable memory. I just meant how much can I store with the internal memory and ONE of the largest SD cards it can support installed without having to carry extra cards.
  • I think Tim stated he got 1000 square miles of TOPO, USGS, Aerial on 7GB of storage, and the PN40 can take one of the new 32GB SD cards. He did state the Aerial images were the biggest hog though, so I figure maybe load up all the TOPO and USGS, and only download the Aerial when needed. Aerial imagery is nice, but the USGS is the most important feature on that unit.
    Help me out here, please. What does the USGS give you that TOPO doesn't?
  • Buildings and large structures, fire roads and some trails, as well more accurate land features for hiking over terrain. I wouldnt trust the TOPO's I have seen for any serious hiking, no way in hell! You get the benefit of Delormes more accurate TOPO's and the USGS, along with Aerial, you cant get much better than that! I wont leave the house without USGS 7.5 quads printed out, so these Garmin TOPO's are useless.
    I think Tim stated he got 1000 square miles of TOPO, USGS, Aerial on 7GB of storage, and the PN40 can take one of the new 32GB SD cards. He did state the Aerial images were the biggest hog though, so I figure maybe load up all the TOPO and USGS, and only download the Aerial when needed. Aerial imagery is nice, but the USGS is the most important feature on that unit.

Help me out here, please. What does the USGS give you that TOPO doesn't?
  • Nice. I'm liking the Delorme more and more and I don't even have it yet! :lol:
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    One of the complaints I've seen about the PN-40 subscription is that you must download relatively small maps individually. Evidently there is a more expensive option to purchase larger areas. What are the limitations there? Can you download full USGS quads?
  • One of the complaints I've seen about the PN-40 subscription is that you must download relatively small maps individually. Evidently there is a more expensive option to purchase larger areas. What are the limitations there? Can you download full USGS quads?
    Yes, but you can stitch them together in the included Topo 7 PC software and load the whole shebang onto the GPS.
  • The Customer Service Rep I spoke to did want to stress that downloading all the NorthEast US items(USGS,Aerial, Etc.) would take quite some time. I figure like you do, that its worth the time, after you have all those USGS maps, they dont change very often, so they are good for quite awhile. If your experience is a good one, I will most likely be next to purchase one...
    One of the complaints I've seen about the PN-40 subscription is that you must download relatively small maps individually. Evidently there is a more expensive option to purchase larger areas. What are the limitations there? Can you download full USGS quads?

Yes, but you can stitch them together in the included Topo 7 PC software and load the whole shebang onto the GPS.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    downloading all the NorthEast US items(USGS,Aerial, Etc.) would take quite some time.
    But as most of the people in the DeLorme forums would tell you-- why bother? You can't even come close to loading all of the north east in those formats on your device, so why bother downloading so much imagery you will never use since you can't fit it on the device.
  • I'm with you on that one, I would spot download the Imagery if needed. The USGS is more important, maybe the Delorme TOPO, but if those are anything like Garmin's, its probably not worth the time.
    downloading all the NorthEast US items(USGS,Aerial, Etc.) would take quite some time.

But as most of the people in the DeLorme forums would tell you-- why bother? You can't even come close to loading all of the north east in those formats on your device, so why bother downloading so much imagery you will never use since you can't fit it on the device.
  • You can't even come close to loading all of the north east in those formats on your device, so why bother downloading so much imagery you will never use since you can't fit it on the device.
    Um, am I missing the fact that you can use easily removable 32 GIGABYTE SD memory cards???
  • I think Tim mentioned in another thread that it took 7GB for him to store 1000 square miles(TOPO, USGS, Aerial), my small state of Massachusetts worked out to 10,000 square miles. So basically I would need 70GB to store just my home state.
    You can't even come close to loading all of the north east in those formats on your device, so why bother downloading so much imagery you will never use since you can't fit it on the device.

Um, am I missing the fact that you can use easily removable 32 GIGABYTE SD memory cards???
  • Tim 1481 Points
    The regular PN-40 model comes with 1 GB of internal memory, half of it used by the system leaving the user with about 500 MB. When generically referring to a device I don't typically talk about the specs in terms of what you might do if you purchased some sort of optional accessory.

But even with 32 GB, you won't get all of new england in aerial imagery loaded on the device.