This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is this true?

caryrae 92 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I just read this on another GPS forum (gpspassion forum)
Can't name my source, but Navigon US has closed nearly its entire North American offices, employees are laid off and there will be no spring product launches.
Anybody here hear anything about this?

Comments

• myzhi 0 Points
    Going to assume it's false. Wouldn't it be all over internet (google) if it's true?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I haven't seen anything about it. Doesn't mean it's not true, but I usually get notices of that sort of thing almost immediately after it's official.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've heard from two trustworthy sources that it is pretty much true. It also helps make sense of something else that happened with them recently that I'm not going to get into quite yet.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    So, possibly no 7300T or update for 8100? I.e. if they decide to close US offices, no more US support? I've been waiting for the 7300T.
    Apparently the 7310 has been released over seas already. Here is a video of the 3D and buildings and MyRoute in action on this website. Looks cool. I really would like to purchase the 7300!!!
    http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/showmedia.php?src=gadget-show-Navigon-2009.swf&h=400&w=640&type=Video
  • Richkut 0 Points
    The obvious questions then are:

1) Will Navigon continue as a going concern/prescence in the USA?

2) Will we still be able to purchase Navigon products/services in the USA?

3) Will our Freshmaps subscriptions and warranties continue be honored in the USA?

4) Will there still be an infusion of updates/enhancements for current Navigon devices in the USA?

5) Basically, are us Navigon owners in the USA now SCREWED??!!

I know that you probably have privileged information, Tim, but answering the above will help clear up at least SOME of the confusion/panic that may have ensued from this thread. Hopefully you will be able to let the cat out of the bag shortly, but until then we should respect your sources. I trust that during the interim, though, you will be able to answer the above questions.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I would love to answer those questions as well-- but the information I have and that my sources have given me doesn't provide any clarity to those questions. My instinct tells me that #1 and #2 will be "no", but #3 and #4 are "possibly" based on the fact that Naivgon will still exist on the other side of the Atlantic and could perhaps fill that. But I really don't know anything other than people who should be in the know tell me there is nothing but a skeleton crew left in North America... Chicago is where I think they are/were.
  • Cntrl 0 Points
    I was thinking of moving up to a 7100 to get the North American maps, but I'm gonna hold off for now and see what unfolds.
  • serpa4 0 Points
    Very sad.
    So, what other unit/brand offeres the same terrain maps, full functions like detours and route preferences etc? Garmins Nuvi are too dumbed down.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Unfortunate. The only remining player with deep pockets is Garmin , and to a lesser extent TomTom. And I'm not even sure about Garmin, waiting on May 6th. . At least they're debt free.

But we've got what we asked for. No one wanted to pay much for maps, many thought they should be free. No one wanted to pay for added features, and some thought those should be free updates for existing devices too. The price sweet-spot has slipped to $150 or so. Seems most users are unwilling to spend much more. Complaints that Garmin is over-priced and a rip-off and everyone else was being fair. So here's the result. Navigon turned out to be underpriced and still couldn't manage much of a market share here. Magellan offered a lot for the money, again under-priced to afford much of a support staff. Serious problems there even after Mio bought them, and with a very small market share, who knows if they'll make it. Mio has withdrawn from the US (other than under the Magellan name), also not making enough to offer decent support. Dash . . . gone, and HP pulled out of what they decided was a money-losing endeavor. TomTom has serious money problems of their own and no longer can afford to get into a price war or put much into new model development. Even they may not survive the year as an independent company. It's a war of attrition and Garmin might be last man standing, but not necessarily healthy. We wanted cheap, we got cheap. . . then out of business. The only way these companies could/can stay in the market was to charge a fair price for what they offered. But we ain't buyin'. So there you go. Welcome to the world of Garmin and TomTom, with some assorted no-names filling the price gaps. Just my take. . .
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    It was confirmed this morning that Navigon is pretty much closing shop in North America, at least for now. Accoring to a statement from their CEO, they are getting out of the PND business here, but leaving some staff in their Chicago office to serve their automotive and phone business customers; He did assure NA customers that Navigon would continue to fill their existing obligations regarding map updates.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    If anyone wants to read the "rest of the story"........NAVIGON stops PND business in North America
  • caryrae 92 Points
    He did assure NA customers that Navigon would continue to fill their existing obligations regarding map updates.
    What does this mean if you know? Does it mean people can get map updates for as long as they have their unit or until people fresh maps are used up and you can't get a new Fresh Maps subscription?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    My guess is they will continue to support existing fresh maps subscriptions. Of course in two years, or thereabouts, when the current cards run out, Navigon could be back in North America. Maybe not likely, but possible.
  • LocateGCL 0 Points
    Ok...got sometime ago the Freshmaps for my 2100Max.
    Do I go ahead and activate now and hope to get 3 years of updates ?
    or
    try to get Navigon to credit me back (if it's even possible) by returning card.
    Any inputs appreciated.
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    I thought they might continue the map subscriptions, but will free traffic end almost immediately ? I hoped to get the 7200T update to the 7300T, but that seems out of the question. I guess I'll have to go to Garmin, the one with the deepest pockets. Apparently Garmin could afford to resell (dump) at cost (as recertified) all those units which were tested and returned within the store's trial period, and Navigon could not. Navigon must have a huge inventory of returned products. I was looking at the Garmin 265WT, but want to see the ratings of the soon to be released 1350T. The 885T is too expensive, so I will wait for voice activation to accept most commands before I plunk down 5 or 6 big ones. Garmin copied all of Navigon's "useless new features" as soon as they found out how well they were received by the reviewers. It's a sad day for Navigon lovers as written before.
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    Can we say Dash Express, boys & girls? They saw that the PND market was not a moneymaker in this day and age, so they got out of the PND manufacturing market. Now they hope to license their technology to other companies who are interested. Who's next? I saw that Mio is also cutting workforce as well.....

Alex
  • Tim 1481 Points
    From Navigon:

http://twitter.com/NAVIGON_/status/1704342997
    Yes, we will continue to bring new map release for our US customers.
  • DonF 0 Points
    What about Canadian maps?
  • correct me if i'm wrong, but didn't i read a post awhile back that stated navigon had purchased navteq? if so, what does that mean for all gps'rs that use navteq maps?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I believe they only purchased a portion of Navteq - the software development group related to LBS services per below:
    Navigon has acquired NAVTEQ's navigation software business, including its navigation software assets and personnel (about 40). Andreas Hecht, Navigon's general manager for the Americas and a former NAVTEQ executive, says that Navigon will leverage NAVTEQ's software assets to pursue opportunities ...
    Navteq mapping business is still owned/operated by Navteq under its parent company - Nokia. I'm not sure of the timeline for these various purchases, but, I wonder if Nokia is regretting the LBS business being sold off???

On another note the NavigonUSA web site has been transformed into a business support/marketing site only. All consumer products are gone. Customer support portion still exists as does access to registered users' accounts - My Navigon.

Not even a kiss after we've been ........ :wink:
  • papa 0 Points
    I don't believe it was just a coincidence that the 7300T and the other 2 PND's stayed on Navigon's web site so long. Something else is going on that we really do not know yet. After doing a lot of researching, I believe the technology of Navigon's 3 newest PND's will re-emerge under another name or either as a part of one of the other big 3 PND manufacturers. Possibly by the end of this year.

JMO
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I was told there were some talks a few months ago about combining forces another GPS manufacturer, tho nothing came of it. So that's certainly a possibility.
  • zekec 0 Points
    Now that the focus is on software, they can concentrate on the forthcoming 8100T update :-)

Anyone seen Q2 map updates?
  • spendleb 0 Points
    It's weird as far as I can tell they are still going strong in Europe with no plans to do the same, all the new models are now released and they told me they are working on the update for the 7210 (7200T) to make it the same spec as the 7300.
  • Cntrl 0 Points
    From Navigon:

But for how long, and if you buy a Fresh Map in the future, will it still be honored?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I certainly wouldn't purchase FreshMaps now if you don't have it already.
  • derwood75 0 Points
    I bought a 7200 a few weeks ago from amazon. Should I return it since it sounds like it won't be supported with new updates? Anyone know offhand what amazon's return policy is? thanks
  • egale 0 Points
    I would return it! No sense in starting with an orphaned product. I think Amazon is 30 days.
  • patruns 10 Points
    I agree. I would return it now if you can..............
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    From Navigon:

But for how long, and if you buy a Fresh Map in the future, will it still be honored?
    Completely agree with Tim. The only commitment I've seen is to honor the existing FreshMaps subscriptions. In two, or for some 3 years, if they haven't returned to the US market, why would thay want to still offer map subscriptions that they make little to no money on?
  • patruns 10 Points
    And let us not forget the promise of free lifetime traffic.

Perhaps HP has left a bitter taste in my mouth by I say whenever a manufacturer even hints on leaving the US market we tell everyone that we know not to ever buy another product from them............. :x
  • I am very upset by this news. I thought I heard once that navigon was in the US market before and pulled out then too. If they do not honor the lifetime subscriptions on traffic or the maps I am sure there will be a class action law suit filed.
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I was told there were some talks a few months ago about combining forces another GPS manufacturer, tho nothing came of it. So that's certainly a possibility.

Maybe it's Nextar - based on the "misprint" Best Buy ad in last Sunday's ad and on their web site??????? :roll: :roll: :roll: The one where they showed a Nextar gps for $99 and description said it was a Navigon.

What the heck.....let's start a rumor. :lol:
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Maybe it's Nextar - based on the "misprint" Best Buy ad in last Sunday's ad and on their web site??????? :roll: :roll: :roll: The one where they showed a Nextar gps for $99 and description said it was a Navigon.

What the heck.....let's start a rumor. :lol:
    What is their name gonna be Nexigon or Navitar.
  • LocateGCL 0 Points
    I am very upset by this news. I thought I heard once that navigon was in the US market before and pulled out then too. If they do not honor the lifetime subscriptions on traffic or the maps I am sure there will be a class action law suit filed.
    Ok...what about those buyers (like me) that PAID for the Traffic Card and Navigon decides to let it go for free. I think they will defend their position that being "free" does not constitute an issue. However, how about those that DID pay for it !

Also recently got Freshmaps and just don't know what to do with it. Register it or try to sell it. By the way, it's beyond the return limit.
    May have to sell my 2100Max as well (purchased nearly at full price).
  • tomj03 0 Points
    Maybe it's Nextar
    Yik ! The Germans have to droop so low nowadays ! :lol:
  • Didn't Navigon leave the US market before? This is not the first time if I remember correctly. If they ever decide to come back they will have to do a lot to gain peoples trust again.

If they don't honor the traffic or fresh map obligations then I am sure there will be some kind of class action case brought against them.
  • LocateGCL 0 Points
    I sent off an emai to Navigon (or what's left of it stateside) and see if any gameplan is in the works for users that PAID for the services (Traffic/Freshmaps) activated or not.
    Standard reply will probably be we don't know at this time or your stuck with card(s).
    Last time I wrote to Navigon and their free lifetime traffic AFTER I bought it, Navigon's answer, sorry guy but now this is a promotion for new buyers and was not part of your deal (what deal, I paid for it all/or missed out).
  • DonF 0 Points
    Costco just removed all Navigon products. I guess with their return policy they didn't want the headaches of getting stuck with returns later from buyers that didn't know that Navigon had pulled out of North America.
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    This was emailed to me from J & R. I was on the waiting list to see about the new Navigons. They took it off their site a few days after Amazon.

Dear Valued Customer,

Recently, you submitted a stock alert requesting to be notified when we have the item(s) below in stock. We are sorry to inform you that due to circumstances beyond our control, we are unable provide you with this information. At the current time, we are unable to obtain sufficient information from the manufacturer as to if we will be receiving a shipment.

Model Product Description
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    NVG NAV3300 Navigon NAV3300 3300 Max GPS Navigator
    NVG NAV4300T Navigon NAV4300T 4300T Max GPS Navigator
    NVG NAV7300T Navigon 7300T 4.3" GPS Navigator

J&R Music/Computer World
    Customer Service Department
    59-21 Queens-Midtown Expressway
    Maspeth, NY 11378 USA
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    It kinda makes you wonder if these new devices even progressed beyond vaporware...

Alex
  • switchman 0 Points
    Well, I just received my first GPS, Fresh Map card is on the way. After researching, I elected to go with the Navigon 7200T. The traffic support was a determining factor. Without ads was the deal maker. Made the assumption they were on clearance at Amazon to make room for the new 7300T.

I am still trying to decide if I should keep it. My first inclination is to keep it even with Navigon pulling out of the US market. For the price paid, if Navigon keeps paying for the lifetime traffic and if I get 3-4 map upgrades, it is well worth keeping. If these do not happen, it is just another 4.3” GPS that is about equal in price to other models. Depending on the deal, they may have paid onetime fee to Clear Channel for a lifetime subscription which is what I hope.

My first impression is that it is an excellent unit as I used it coming to work this morning. It selected the same route I normally use on my 40 mile drive. After 20+ years driving to the same location, I have tried all of the obvious routes and have what I think is the best. It accurately showed the traffic conditions, which was nice.

I am currently leaning toward a Mount from ProClip. They are a little pricy, but I have already decided I do not like the suction cup mount. Any thoughts from anyone on the ProClip mount.

I am contemplating building a hardwired power supply based on a 7805 voltage regulator. Just looking at the cable, it appears that they are just using the USB data lines as the antenna. The little round unit appears to be just a ferrite bead. Does any one know how they are determining if it is plugged into a USB port versus the provided power cord. If anyone else has already determined this, it will save me time.

Thanks
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    I am contemplating building a hardwired power supply based on a 7805 voltage regulator. Just looking at the cable, it appears that they are just using the USB data lines as the antenna. The little round unit appears to be just a ferrite bead. Does any one know how they are determining if it is plugged into a USB port versus the provided power cord. If anyone else has already determined this, it will save me time.
    Why? :?:

Have you seen this solution?

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/11753/x/p1/;highlight=12v+adapter
  • switchman 0 Points
    That is a totally different solution. That allows you to run your cigarette adapter/power supply from 110 VAC. I can already do that. I have AC to 5vDC USB adapters.

I am talking about an adapter that mimics the same functions as the cigarette adapter/power supply, i.e operates from 12VDC. It would be hardwired into the fuse box in my car and up to the mount. This way I can hide the wires.

This shows the wiring diagram.
    Car fuse Panel with 12Vdc :arrow: 12Vdc to 5Vdc Converter :arrow: Navigon 7200T GPS
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Is this what you are looking for? Navigon Pinout
  • switchman 0 Points
    That is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you. :D
  • Richkut 0 Points
    Following is a reply to my inquiry a week or so ago. Frankly, I did NOT think that anyone would answer so soon given the current circumstances, much less answer at all. It is reassuring to hear that Navigon appears to still be supporting that which they have sold. Here is the response to my questions about where we US Navigon owners stand:

"Dear Navigon Customer,
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Navigon will no longer be producing GPS units in North America, instead
    focusing on providing software for other devices. Devices will still be
    supported, and we will still be rolling out quarterly map updates.

Sincerely,

Charles
    Navigon Customer Support"
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    Following is a reply to my inquiry a week or so ago. Frankly, I did NOT think that anyone would answer so soon given the current circumstances, much less answer at all. It is reassuring to hear that Navigon appears to still be supporting that which they have sold. Here is the response to my questions about where we US Navigon owners stand:

"Dear Navigon Customer,

Navigon will no longer be producing GPS units in North America, instead
    focusing on providing software for other devices. Devices will still be
    supported, and we will still be rolling out quarterly map updates.

Sincerely,

Charles
    Navigon Customer Support"

What I didn't see in their response is whether they will be offering SOFTWARE updates or upgrades.... just map updates...

This is a similar scenario that Dash used when they stopped producing their PND unit to concentrate on promoting their technology elsewhere, but still promising to support the few thousand users who bought the Dash Express. They say that they will still offer map updates, traffic updates, and software updates, but albeit at a vastly delayed schedule. With venture capital being very limited, it's not even a good bet to say that they will even survive to the end of the year. Now Navigon may have deeper pockets, but not even they will want to throw a lot of support money into North American units when there is more money in European markets.

Alex
  • caryrae 92 Points
    This was may response I just got from Navigon pretty much about the same thing.
    Dear Navigon Customer,

We will still be providing support and will fulfill all map update
    subscriptions with quarterly updates. The upcoming devices will no longer
    be launching.

Sincerely,

Charles
    Navigon Customer Support
  • Ken-55 0 Points
    Well, I just received my first GPS, Fresh Map card is on the way. After researching, I elected to go with the Navigon 7200T. The traffic support was a determining factor. Without ads was the deal maker. Made the assumption they were on clearance at Amazon to make room for the new 7300T.

I am still trying to decide if I should keep it. My first inclination is to keep it even with Navigon pulling out of the US market. For the price paid, if Navigon keeps paying for the lifetime traffic and if I get 3-4 map upgrades, it is well worth keeping. If these do not happen, it is just another 4.3” GPS that is about equal in price to other models. Depending on the deal, they may have paid onetime fee to Clear Channel for a lifetime subscription which is what I hope.

My first impression is that it is an excellent unit as I used it coming to work this morning. It selected the same route I normally use on my 40 mile drive. After 20+ years driving to the same location, I have tried all of the obvious routes and have what I think is the best. It accurately showed the traffic conditions, which was nice.

I am currently leaning toward a Mount from ProClip. They are a little pricy, but I have already decided I do not like the suction cup mount. Any thoughts from anyone on the ProClip mount.

Thanks
    I've bought 3 Navigons for my family in the last year or so. While I'm sad that they're pulling out, I'm thinking of buying another. TigerDirect has refurbished 2100 Max units for $89.99 and I could use a larger screen in the RV and stop having to move a unit back and forth.

The ProClip IS pricey, but I love mine.

Here's a thread about direct wire:

http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/5980/x/p1/;highlight=direct+wire

My Nuvi compatible directwire works great!