The 'Mark Viewed' options have been temporarily disabled due to a performance issue.

Problem with TOPO maps and Garmin 60CSx

Well, finally received the 60CSx and it's a wonderful unit. However, I installed the TOPO US 2008 map (ordered separately) and it shows in Mapsource, but how the heck do I get that map on the GPS itself? I have a 2 gig mini SD card installed and it shows as being recognized. My computer does find the device, yet in Mapsource when I click on the "send to device" button, it keeps telling me to select a map, waypoints, tracks, etc. So, how do I select the map? Also, this topo map shows as "not lockable", so does that mean I can use it on more than one unit? The help hasn't been much help.

Initial impressions are quite good of the GPS. It's very easy to use and set up. The electronic compass, once calibrated, is dead on with my magnetic compass. Very nice, big and bright screen. Amazingly quick satellite acquisition and I'm seeing accuracies of under 20 feet indoors. Feels very solid and durable, too. In fact, when I get the Delorme PN-40, I just might not even bother opening it up and messing with it and send it right back to Amazon.

Comments

• dhn 191 Points
    I locked your other thread with the duplicate post to this one. Your question placed here does seem in a more appropriate place for it.
  • No problem. Just wanted extra exposure. I intend to use it this weekend for geocaching and I'd really like to get the TOPO map on it. All of my Nuvi favorites downloaded to the 60CSx just fine, though.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    In mapsource you need to use the selection tool to choose the area which you want to send to the GPS. I would suggest just picking a small area around your home for starters before trying to load anything huge. You are about to be reminded just how S L O W USB1.0 is.. :D
  • Thanks Boyd. Can I fit the entire US on a 2 gig card? If not, then all of New England?
  • Not bad! I did my entire state of CT (and then some) and it only took a minute or so. The weird thing is all the detailed 2010.11 street mapping also transferred. How cool is that? I thought I'd have to buy another copy of City Navigator as I thought that info could only be registered to one unit.
  • Next question. How do I manage the maps on the SD card? If I select a new region, does it simply overwrite what's already on the card? Any way to save and name individual maps on the same card? It doesn't show up on my PC as a mass storage device like my Nuvi does and I'm wondering if that correct with the 60CSx.
  • Answered one question. Just loaded a much smaller area of CT and the maps went from over 12 mb to 2.89 mb, so it looks like everything just gets written over. Is there any way to have more than one map on a single card? I also remember reading somewhere that the 60CSx can't use the entire 2 gigs because it's limited to something just over 2000 map "tiles". Is this true?
  • Loading exactly 2025 map "tiles" now as that looks to be the limit after I selected too many. Not bad at all, though. Got the entire US from Maine to Florida and all the way west to about the middle of Louisiana. Three, maybe four maps would cover the entire US. Time said about 45 min to load, which I can deal with just fine. That's a LOT of data with the topo AND detailed road stuff...
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    When I loaded a very large section of the US on my 60csx, I noticed that it would take the gps a long time to start up while it verified the maps. This bothered me, so I settled for about a 350MB map.

I'm not sure, but I thought I read somewhere that Garmin changed the 2025 segment limit on the 60csx with a firmware update recently. I could be wrong though. Initially that the maximum map size, as well as a 2GB maximum file size.

I can't believe you actually transfered the City Navigator maps, that should not be possible without an unlock code. Are you sure you aren't just seeing the streets from the topo maps? Can you do routing? Normally the 60csx will route the best it can with US Topop using its basemap, which only has very major roads on it.

The only way to load more than one map on that model is to aggregate them all in mapsource. Any map product which is installed on your computer can be selected in mapsource and bundled into one mapset when you send it to the GPS. As you observed, the old map is erased each time you send a new one. Careful, because the same thing will also happen with your waypoints, tracks and routes if you send them to the GPS.
  • When I loaded a very large section of the US on my 60csx, I noticed that it would take the gps a long time to start up while it verified the maps. This bothered me, so I settled for about a 350MB map.
    Noticed this, too. Installing a much smaller map now, which sucks because I can't use anywhere near the 2 gb amount of storage.
    I'm not sure, but I thought I read somewhere that Garmin changed the 2025 segment limit on the 60csx with a firmware update recently. I could be wrong though. Initially that the maximum map size, as well as a 2GB maximum file size.
    I loaded 3.90, which is the latest firmware according to Webupdater and Mapsource still gives me the error when I exceed 2025 segments after it finds the device when I try to send the map.
    I can't believe you actually transfered the City Navigator maps, that should not be possible without an unlock code. Are you sure you aren't just seeing the streets from the topo maps? Can you do routing? Normally the 60csx will route the best it can with US Topop using its basemap, which only has very major roads on it.
    Yes, when I did the entire state of CT, all the teeny, tiny roads in my podunk nothing town showed up. Not sure if they are routable as I haven't tried. I just thought TOPO overlaid the contour lines on the 2010.11 road map I had and everything loaded. Sure looks that way.
  • When I loaded a very large section of the US on my 60csx, I noticed that it would take the gps a long time to start up while it verified the maps. This bothered me, so I settled for about a 350MB map.
    I re-loaded the entire east coast which was almost 800 megs and there is no delay on start-up. No difference at all the time from when I only had Connecticut loaded. It did do a status bar update the first time after it was done, but never again. Maybe that was a firmware 3.90 fix...
  • And, Boyd, you're right about the road mapping. It won't navigate on anything other than the base map. But, I am very happy that all the full road detail did transfer to the GPS. I really don't care about on-road car navigation with this GPS as I have a dedicated auto GPS as well.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    Topo maps are complete maps, including roads. They are not dependent on the City Navigator maps in any way. The roads on the topo maps are pretty far out of date in my experience though.
  • Topo maps are complete maps, including roads. They are not dependent on the City Navigator maps in any way. The roads on the topo maps are pretty far out of date in my experience though.
    Well TOPO 2008 isn't that old. And, the roads are for secondary reference only for my land nav uses.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    That's fine, but the product release date tells you nothing about the underlying data. Trust me, the road data is old and does not come from Navteq. Try zooming in as you travel and you will see that the accuracy is pretty low for those maps.

That doesn't make it a bad product, but you should be aware of the limitations. It will certainly be fine for recreational use.
  • How do you know the road data isn't from NavTeq? All of their car navigation GPSrs use NavTeq maps. As I said, this is strictly a hiking/land nav unit for me. The roads are just another nice reference. My area looks accurate enough.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    How do you know the road data isn't from NavTeq?
    I know this because of my familiarity with the product and use of it through two versions over a number of years, plus extensive discussion in different forums.

However you are free to believe whatever you wish. If you like the gps and the maps, then you are good to go. Enjoy...
  • Hey, I wasn't saying you were pulling it out of your ass. I looked at my Topo DVD/case and didn't see anything about a street map company.
  • roybassist 0 Points
    As you observed, the old map is erased each time you send a new one. Careful, because the same thing will also happen with your waypoints, tracks and routes if you send them to the GPS.
    I’m think you are mistaken about the waypoints, tracks and routes. You can send a new waypoint, track or route to the unit without losing any of the data that is already there. I tried it just now to make sure. This assumes that there is memory available for the type of data you’re adding. Not sure what would happen if there isn’t.

If you send a waypoint that already exists in the unit, it will be ignored. If you send a new waypoint with the same name as one already in the unit (but with different coordinates), it will be added with a “1” appended to the name.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    Interesting. I am pretty sure this is different from the old version of mapsource. Thanks for the correction!
  • As I understand it, tracks and such are stored in internal memory while maps are sent to the SD card.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    True, but there is a menu option to also record tracks to the memory card. This is one way to get around the limit of 10,000 track points. The track just keeps getting appended to the file on the SD card all day, then a new file is created the next day you use the GPS. This continues until the SD card is full (or possibly some other hard limit like 2GB?). Those tracks can only be accessed by transferring to the computer and not on the GPS itself.

See the manual for more info.
  • I’m think you are mistaken about the waypoints, tracks and routes. You can send a new waypoint, track or route to the unit without losing any of the data that is already there.
    Doesn't work the other away around, though. All of my favorites (waypoints) were wiped out when I loaded some topo maps. Had to load both in Mapsource and then transfer it to the 60CSx.

• 2 gigs is definitely a hard limit as that is the largest micro SD card made...for now...
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    2 gigs is definitely a hard limit as that is the largest micro SD card made...for now...
    Better not tell that to Amazon as they are selling 4GB, 8GB and 16GB micro SD cards... :wink:
  • 2 gigs is definitely a hard limit as that is the largest micro SD card made...for now...
    Better not tell that to Amazon as they are selling 4GB, 8GB and 16GB micro SD cards... :wink:
    Oh, didn't know that. What pisses me off is the 2025 map limit per card. That's only about 1 gig, so why in the hell can't I use the rest of the memory? Those larger cards would be a waste.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    Try some googling. There is a hack which I've read about to circumvent that limit. Use at your own risk of course...
  • Try some googling. There is a hack which I've read about to circumvent that limit. Use at your own risk of course...
    Seems like this would be a simple firmware update for Garmin, but... :roll:
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    I've read that the Oregon supports a total of 4,000 segments :D

This is the aggregate limit of ALL maps on the unit however, not each individual file. The pre-installed full US Topo on the Oregon is also built differently although the map data is the same. They have crammed it into only about 400 segments to improve performance (source: Oregon wiki).
  • mike06 0 Points
    edited May 2009
    You can put as many maps on that your card will hold. You have to rename each map therefore your unit will only use the garmin file. To use the other maps you must change the name to the garmjn file name and so on. Others are doing this they just hook there unit to a pc goto the sd card and rename the file that they want to use or use a card reader. I have read of people using up to a 8 gig card so far but most recommend a card lower than class 4. I do not know what class card the Oregon uses. Still 2025 limit is the kicker. Also keep in mind that this is using the 3.70 firmware and I just read where one person has used a 8 gig scandisk sdhc card.
  • You can put as many maps on that your card will hold. You have to rename each map therefore your unit will only use the garmin file. To use the other maps you must change the name to the garmjn file name and so on. Others are doing this they just hook there unit to a pc goto the sd card and rename the file that they want to use or use a card reader.
    Kind of hard to do that in the field. I make every effort to travel and vacation without a laptop because I want complete disconnection/privacy. Also, my unit doesn't show as a USB mass storage device, so I can't rename the file on the GPS directly.
    Still 2025 limit is the kicker.
    Not really that big of a deal. The entire US will fit on three tiny cards, which weigh nothing and are dirt cheap. I just ordered two more.
  • mike06 0 Points
    Airgunner
    Your 60csx does not show the usb storage device option?
  • Airgunner
    Your 60csx does not show the usb storage device option?
    Nope, but... That may be because I'm using a Sony mini USB cable as it works with everything else, including my Nuvi which does show up as a USB mass storage device. Maybe the included cable is different? With the Sony cable, my 60CSx runs on external power as indicated by the "plug" icon, yet I can still use it normally. Only when it actually gets to transferring data from Mapsource to the GPS does it "lock up".
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    IIRC, on the 60csx you need to go to the setup menu and choose interface (or something like that). There is a button there for USB mass storage. You need to click that button, then the GPS will appear on your computer.

Haven't done that recently on mine, but as I recall, you need to do this every time you connect to a computer. It doesn't just show up automatically as a disk like the Nuvi. But maybe there's a setting somewhere that I never found?
  • mike06 0 Points
    Try this hit menu twice goto setup then goto interface then scoll down to usb mass storage hit enter then hook to pc. To remove do the safely remove hardware on the pc then hit the off button on the csx one time quick and that is it.
  • Try this hit menu twice goto setup then goto interface then scoll down to usb mass storage hit enter then hook to pc. To remove do the safely remove hardware on the pc then hit the off button on the csx one time quick and that is it.
    Yeah, that works, but it's still a pain in the ass. If I'm on the road, no computer I'd use would have the installed drivers to even "see" the 60CSx. I'll just carry extra memory cards.
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    You should not need any "drivers" to connect the 60csx in the manner described. It will appear as a USB disk. But it is a bit of a pain to have to go through the menus every time.

Here is where the 60csx shows its age a bit - it seems somewhere in between the old Garmin designs with serial ports and the Nuvi with USB disk mode.

All that aside, it is really time for Garmin to move to a file-based map storage system to replace the antiquated gmapsupp.img model. Each map should just be a separate file (with any name you want) which you can select on the GPS.
  • IIRC, on the 60csx you need to go to the setup menu and choose interface (or something like that). There is a button there for USB mass storage. You need to click that button, then the GPS will appear on your computer.

Haven't done that recently on mine, but as I recall, you need to do this every time you connect to a computer. It doesn't just show up automatically as a disk like the Nuvi. But maybe there's a setting somewhere that I never found?
    Thanks, Boyd. That did the trick. Nice to know I can switch maps and not need installed drivers. I wish you could select them on the GPS directly without needing a computer to rename the maps.

But, I do like the USB mass storage selectable option. You can use the GPS on USB power without draining the batteries and not have it automatically lock up in "computer mode" like the Nuvis do.
  • jj1856k 0 Points
    I have a 60CSx with Topo 2008. I'm in Arizona and have transferred several maps to the device using both MapSource and BaseCamp.

When I go to the map screen then menu>setup map I see that the device is using the topo map. However details of the topo maps (i.e. elevation increases, lakes, etc) do not appear on the device. Have I missed a setting on the device that will prompt the topo details to appear?
  • Boyd 1271 Points
    There are a number of settings which can affect this. Press menu > menu > setup > map. Now use the left and right arrow on the cursor button to pick the icons at the top of the screen. You should set Detail to most under the "N" icon. Now choose the icon that looks like a flag. Each of these items determines at which zoom level a map feature will disappear from the screen.

For starters you can set them to auto. You may need to zoom in farther to see the features though. If you like, you can customize the map by choosing your preferred zoom level for each item. It may take some trial and error to get what you want.

If none of this helps, and you are sure the topo maps are enabled... then I'm not sure what to suggest. Are you sure that you actually loaded the map for the area you are viewing? You have to choose the area you want using the selection tool in mapsource/roadtrip/basecamp before sending to the GPS.