Nuvi 850 not recognizing micro sd card

jkois 0 Points
when i bring the nuvi up on the computer it will not recognize the sd card that is inserted. the card is recognized when placed in other devices. also tried to load a poi on it through the loader but said the device was not ready, i guess meaning it did not see the card. any thoughts anyone??

thanks

Comments

• dc9mm 0 Points
    Plug the usb cable into PC and see if you can then see the micro sd card in windows explorer. I know i can see all the contents of the built in flash memory on my 850 this way like if i download a map i create on mapquest i can see it on the built in memory so i would think you would be able to see the sd card memory also. Put a small file on the sd card with a card reader if you have one. Then put the card into the gps and connect usb cable to gps. See if you can find the small file you put on micro sd card. If you cant i would guess theres a problem with the card slot on the gps. Not good if thats the case(: .
  • JohnBoyToo 0 Points
    if it's like my nuvi (and others) some sd cards are not recognized... had some high density that they wouldn't read....

I went to office depot and spent $14 on two 2 gig generic (i.e. slow, low capacity) cards and it works fine..

held everything I wanted to put on 1 of the cards ---
    my 50 songs and 25 audiobooks (if I had to guess, 250 hours long)
    so maybe try another brand / type ?
  • jkois 0 Points
    Plug the usb cable into PC and see if you can then see the micro sd card in windows explorer. I know i can see all the contents of the built in flash memory on my 850 this way like if i download a map i create on mapquest i can see it on the built in memory so i would think you would be able to see the sd card memory also. Put a small file on the sd card with a card reader if you have one. Then put the card into the gps and connect usb cable to gps. See if you can find the small file you put on micro sd card. If you cant i would guess theres a problem with the card slot on the gps. Not good if thats the case(: .
    tried that. didn't work. thanks.
  • jkois 0 Points
    if it's like my nuvi (and others) some sd cards are not recognized... had some high density that they wouldn't read....

I went to office depot and spent $14 on two 2 gig generic (i.e. slow, low capacity) cards and it works fine..

held everything I wanted to put on 1 of the cards ---
    my 50 songs and 25 audiobooks (if I had to guess, 250 hours long)
    so maybe try another brand / type ?
    i will try that. thanks for the info and idea.
  • dc9mm 0 Points
    Yea i didnt think of that but it might not be able to see cards bigger than 2 gig. My Delorme PN 20 handheld cant see more that 2 gig i beleive.
  • Tim 1296 Points
    Yea i didnt think of that but it might not be able to see cards bigger than 2 gig. My Delorme PN 20 handheld cant see more that 2 gig i beleive.
    I think one of the firmware updates changed that limit.
  • JIM C 0 Points
    I have an 8 gig SD card with close to 1000 songs on my nuvi 760.