This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Ability to bypass a city?

tims 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
I'm planning to buy my first GPS for an upcoming USA tour.
I like the well reviewed Garmin nuvi 760 but one criteria I want in a GPS is the ability to force (the GPS) to use a bypass route around major cities.
Would the nuvi 760 allow this and if so how? I've read "Adding a Via Point: Garmin"
(http://www.gpsreview.net/garmin-add-via-point/)
Would I have to find the bypass route on a map and select (the bypass road) as a "via point" as the article above suggests? Or do any other models (or brands) have an automatic "bypass city" function available?

Thanks

Tim

Comments

• Boyd 1781 Points
    Yes, you could create a custom route which passes through any intersections you want. But that does involve a bit of effort. The Nuvi 800 and 5000 series have an advanced avoidance feature which might do what you want. You can select a rectangular area to avoid, and the unit will not route you through that area. You can also choose specific road segments to avoid.

This involves some programming to, but probably less than creating a whole route. OTOH, if you know you want to avoid the city and take the bypass... just do it. Eventually the GPS will figure out what your're doing. Personally I find it more practical to do this myself - use 2d North up map mode and you can pick your roads just like you would on a paper map.
  • Shooter 0 Points
    I like the well reviewed Garmin nuvi 760 but one criteria I want in a GPS is the ability to force (the GPS) to use a bypass route around major cities.
    While the TomTom GO units do not have a "Avoid City XXX" feature, you can avoid specific portions of a route. However, for a long distance route, I would set up a route and pick some "via" points to force my preferred routing.

You can also do as Boyd suggested, and force the GPSr to recalculate the route by taking the road(s) you want to take.
  • Tim 1459 Points
    Or do any other models (or brands) have an automatic "bypass city" function available?
    Yes, the TomTom devices have a function like that. After creating the original route, tap 'Find Alternative' --> Avoid Part of route --> then you will get a list of roads and city names. The city names will have a tall building icon near them. Tap on the city name you want to route around and it will create a circle about 15 miles in diameter from the city center around which it will avoid.
  • Shooter 0 Points
    Or do any other models (or brands) have an automatic "bypass city" function available?

Yes, the TomTom devices have a function like that. After creating the original route, tap 'Find Alternative' --> Avoid Part of route --> then you will get a list of roads and city names. The city names will have a tall building icon near them. Tap on the city name you want to route around and it will create a circle about 15 miles in diameter from the city center around which it will avoid.
    Learned something about my GO 930 again. :lol:
  • Tim 1459 Points
    :) That is certainly one of the lesser known features.
  • Boyd 1781 Points
    Very cool. Did my 920T have that feature? I never found it in all the months I owned it.
  • Tim 1459 Points
    Yes, as far as I know every TomTom has it.
  • Tim 1459 Points
    Here is what it looks like on the map overview after you have avoided a town. I told it to avoid Santa Clarita and you can see the stop sign shaped shaded area that it is avoiding.

• GeoffVane 0 Points
    I have been trying this on my Tomtom Go600. The only thing I can do is remove one of the route instruction blocks. I do NOT see a list of cities. I am desperately looking for that function. The older Tomtom had it. You could just tap avoid Paris. It is very hard to avoid Paris when planning a route with the Go600. You need to place fiddly stops after which the whole route is recalculated each time. Very tedious and slow.