This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Anyone have a better source of POI's then POIFactory?

lordgrinz 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
I downloaded several of their custom POI's and its obvious no one has verified the coordinates, off by miles, or completely missing locations. I thought they were using data that was verified by using a GPS to find them, it appears a lot of what they have on there is based on using online maps, which are notoriously incorrect.

Comments

• POIs that people upload on that site are not verified, that I can tell. Somoene could play a practical joke by for example uploading a set that says all McDonalds and realy the coordinates/addresses are for Burger King.

I've found the POIs to be mostly accurate, but not always. you can sort of tell if the person maintaining them posts updates, and people post comments. If they were a complete scam, someone would quickly flag it.

Also look at www.gpspassion.com/forumsen > The forum named "Custom POI Collections".
  • Shooter 0 Points
    I've found the POIs to be mostly accurate, but not always. you can sort of tell if the person maintaining them posts updates, and people post comments. If they were a complete scam, someone would quickly flag it.
    I have used their rest areas POI and found it to be pretty accurate for the TX-OK-NM-CO areas. I modified my version so it only shows rest areas with restrooms and added a few new ones I know about in Texas (that I reported and should be in the latest version), but otherwise it is has been good.
  • KattKatt 0 Points
    The mods do their best to verify the POIs. I haven't found a better free POI site to date. The red light and speed camera POI files are alone worth joining.
  • JIM C 0 Points
    I have the rest area POI file and I wanted to know how you can disable the alert from displaying if you are going in the opposite direction that the rest area is on?

I needed to manually load the file but only saw a way to alert you so many feet before the rest area.
  • I have the rest area POI file and I wanted to know how you can disable the alert from displaying if you are going in the opposite direction that the rest area is on?

I needed to manually load the file but only saw a way to alert you so many feet before the rest area.
    Interesting question. Wish I knew the answer. Exactly what GPS model and what POI loading software are you using?

From my using and playing with Garmin's POI loader, and a Garmin GPSMAP 76 CSx, and the explainations on how custom POI/speed alerts work, I don't see how you could do this with a Garmin unit using text file POIs. The format for text file POIs is a Latitude and Longitude coordinate, the GPS knows it's Latitude and Longitude, and compares that to the ones in a custom list. When you're within X miles of anyhting on the list, you get an alert. I'v enever seen it association custom POIS to highways and roads and direction of travel you are 'approaching from'. But Garmin units do know you cannot make a u-Turn on a limited access highway like a US Interstate highway.

Garmin has a second format for POIs, XML/tag based instead of text based.
    This seems to have more details associated with each POI, but I haven't used or read up on them.

It sounds like what you really want need is someway for your GPS to list all POIs ahead on the route you're navigating, and rely on it's settings to not have to backtrack/make u-turns on limited access highways? For example if you were driving on a local highway, and a fuel station was on the left, and you can make a left hand turn,
    this would be OK?

Sorry, I don't know the answer. If I have some time I'll look into it for the Garmin POI Loader.
  • JIM C 0 Points
    Thanks Retired Coal Miner. I have a Nuvi 760 and use the Garmin POI Loader. I was using the Rest Area POI (combine for all states) from the POI Factory. I travel the PA turnpike from West Chester to Harrisburg-West quite a bit so it's a bit annoying to have the POI alert when you come up on a rest area in the opposite direction. :wink: