This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Software To Upgrade 7300T for 7200T

luckybirman 91 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I emailed Navigon USA to ask about a possible software upgrade abroad which we might be able to purchase to upgrade our 7200T to 7300T (but using our NA maps) as they might have completed (?) for the 7210 "over there". Here is their answer:
------------------------
Dear Navigon Customer,
Thank you for your inquiry.

The 7200 maps and software are not compatible with the 7310. You may be able to purchase North American maps for the 7310 from Europe. You would have to contact European support at support.uk@navigon.com for details.

Sincerely,

Charles

Navigon Customer Support
-------------------------
Charles seems to answer all the emails. Maybe he is the only one left.
I emailed the UK with the slightest hope of an upgrade for my 7200T.
If I receive an interesting reply I will post it.

Comments

• Given that the 7300t has 3D-terrain mapping (via the 3-D graphics engine and accelerator) and the 7200t did not, I would think that we would not see 7300t function and performance from the 7200t with just a map update. I would think it possible for the 8100t however, since it was designed for 3-D terrain mapping.
    Just my $.02 (and as always, open for comment! :wink: )
  • spendleb 0 Points
    Navigon have already confirmed that europe are getting the full upgrade for the 7200 to make it the same spec as the 7300, no idea when though but it does look possible.
  • Navigon have already confirmed that europe are getting the full upgrade for the 7200 to make it the same spec as the 7300, no idea when though but it does look possible.

You think the same would be available for the 8100t?? If so, that would be SWEEET!
  • I think 7300T units are technically identical to 7200T, there is no additional graphic accelerator. The processor speed is a little faster than 8100T, therefore, it is possible to pull it off. The questions is whether USA Navigon would spend money to do this, my hopes are high, but the heart tells me no.
  • aaronwt 0 Points
    They don't even have the Freshmaps available to purchase anymore. I'm hoping Bestbuy comes through on my order. I had to pay $90 for it with shipping and taxes. At least I got a good price on my 7200T from Amazon this weekend. This is the best SAT NAV unit I've had since I got a NAVMAN 5 years ago. And I've been through several brands since then. I was waiting for the x300 series until I heard they were leaving the US market. Now I missed out on the accessories and the Freshmaps at a lower price.
  • dnajar 0 Points
    I have an order pending for the 8100T and figured I'd pick up a Freshmaps card later on, maybe after prices dropped. I can't find a card anywhere now. I am beginning to have thoughts of sending the box right back to Amazon when it arrives.
  • aaronwt 0 Points
    I have an order pending for the 8100T and figured I'd pick up a Freshmaps card later on, maybe after prices dropped. I can't find a card anywhere now. I am beginning to have thoughts of sending the box right back to Amazon when it arrives.
    Check the BestBuy store online. That is where I purchased mine. I should receive it next week. Although it is expensive. With tax and the cheapest shipping option, it cost me $90.
  • luckybirman 91 Points
    Just received this bad news from my UK inquiry:

As every company, NAVIGON Inc. has to adjust its business and strategy to meet the changing market conditions. These have changed from the time the decisions for launching the products were made so we had to restructure the business after we already announced the products.
    Accessories, map material and content are not available in North America through NAVIGON.UK.
    Unfortunately we don't have information concerning the availability of these products at other major retail shops.

Sincerely
    Stephen Purdue
    --------------
    NAVIGON.UK Support Team

I guess no 7200 update to 7300 as they have done for the 7210 to the 7310.
  • zekec 0 Points
    Sent the following question to Navigon US Support
    and received the following from Navigon US Support.
    Oddly enough it's the same guy as the UK, Stephen Purdue
    Note the last sentence... :-(

Question:
    I see that the 8310 updates are arriving for the European 8000-series
    owners in June.

PLEASE, do not forget your loyal 8100T owners.
    This update has been highly anticipated.

Thank you

Navigon reply:

As every company, NAVIGON Inc. has to adjust its business and strategy to meet the changing market conditions. These have changed from the time the decisions for launching the products were made so we had to restructure the business after we already announced the products.

NAVIGON Inc. will be reallocating resources from its branded line of portable navigation devices to focus on more profitable segments within the navigation sector in North America. This transition will place an increased emphasis on NAVIGON’s heritage, software development – the core of any navigation experience. NAVIGON Inc. will focus on software with an enthusiastic push into mobile and smartphone segments, as well as a continuation of support for both OEM and automotive sectors. NAVIGON Inc. believes that software development is our core competence.

Therefore we will unfortunately not be selling any more GPS systems or upgrades in the USA. We apologise for this inconvenience.

Sincerely
    Stephen Purdue
  • So they will focus on developing software for smart phones, but not for PPC? Doesn't make any sense.
  • AlexM555 0 Points

Question:
    owners in June.

Thank you

Navigon reply:

NAVIGON Inc. will be reallocating resources from its branded line of portable navigation devices to focus on more profitable segments within the navigation sector in North America. This transition will place an increased emphasis on NAVIGON’s heritage, software development – the core of any navigation experience. NAVIGON Inc. will focus on software with an enthusiastic push into mobile and smartphone segments, as well as a continuation of support for both OEM and automotive sectors. NAVIGON Inc. believes that software development is our core competence.

Therefore we will unfortunately not be selling any more GPS systems or upgrades in the USA. We apologise for this inconvenience.

Sincerely
    Stephen Purdue
    Basically he is telling all USA owners... you're SOL, sucka! Neener Neener...

Alex
  • zekec 0 Points
    It sure seems that way...
    and I love the double-talk in the answer.

Navigon reply paraphrased:
    We can't sell you the software update you want because
    we are not working on hardware anymore to focus
    on writing software that we can sell.

Huh?!
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    It really should come as no surprise. If they're not selling NA devices any longer, what would be their incentive to spend money on NA support or updates? Goodwill? That's only a business benefit if it can lead to higher unit sales. Since there won't be any more devices, I would expect all remaining support will disappear once the current NA map subscriptions run out. As best I can determine, new map subscriptions are no longer available. If you have a card you haven't activated, I would do so immediately or risk losing out altogether.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Hello everyone. I am new to this forum. :P

Anyways, I just bought a new 7200T off J&R for $200. NO other GPS offers nearly as many features as Navigon for that price! Actually...even the $700 Garmins still can’t do some of the things the 7200T can. So I'm pretty excited to get it in the mail. :D

After I purchased it, I began looking online for upgrades I could add to it once I received it, and thus came across this forum. My BIGGEST desire is to obtain the 3D map terrain feature! That is a TRULY amazing characteristic! But I just DON'T understand why Navigon would give 7210 users the upgrade option to make their GPSs the same as the 7310!? Why not give 7200 users to do the same with a 7300 upgrade! I was willing pay 200 bucks for the 7200t (and I would even jump at the chance to pay some more for that upgrade) but I did NOT want to be spending $400-500 on a 7300T or the 8100T! That’s just too much money for a GPS. (Especially for a poor college student :P :P ) I ended up sending this message to the USA Navigon support team. Heh, I can hope it will make a difference. :?

----------

I recently purchased the 7200T off Tigerdirect.com. I strongly believe that Navigon makes the FINEST GPS devices with the most powerful internal hardware, which allows for advanced features such as 3D terrain. The chief reason I purchased a Navigon instead of a TomTom or Garmin is because the maps are not jerky, but smooth. The graphics on your GPS’s are AMAZING compared to any other device!!! I’m sad to hear yall are pulling out of the US market. It’s quite a bummer.

Anyways... One feature I was REALLY hoping for (for the 7200T) was the BREAKTHROUGH 3D Panorama view(Elevations)! (As an upgrade) I have looked through many different forums and discovered that the 7200T can EASILY support this 3D element. It has practically the SAME hardware as the 7300T... Another fact I discovered is that yall are going to allow 7210 users in Europe to UPGRADE to the 7310 features! WHY NOT LET US 7200 USERS UPGRADE TO 7300 FEATURES??? I am more than willing to pay a fee to obtain the 3D terrain quality! And from what I have real all across many forums, everyone else would do exactly the same! I essentially just don't understand why yall would give this option to 7210 users and NOT 7200 users...It makes no sense. Why would yall not want to charge a fee for 7200 users to get that 3D terrain feature. As I said before, I would gladly pay for it!

Please consider making this an update so that us 7200T users can get that feature. You have pulled out of the US market wish obviously means you will no longer be selling future products here. I simply want to have a GPS which will be advanced enough to keep up with the competition for years to come. I feel it would be smart of your company to offer this as an upgrade to the 7200T users. We all know the 7200 device can handle 3D mapping...We just need that update.

Thanks. =)

----------

Hopefully they will give me a decent response...Not some pre-existing one click answer... :? :shock:

Once they do answer, I will of course post it on here :P
  • egale 0 Points
    Navigon is "gon" from the USA. They are not going to provide any more updates!!!!!
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Navigon has not COMPLETELY left the US. They have left a few representatives behind in their main Chicago office (if I’m correct) for customer support.

Plus...They have already stated they will continue to provide map updates for those who purchased Freshmaps.
  • CDK 0 Points

Question:
    owners in June.

Thank you

Navigon reply:

Sincerely
    Stephen Purdue
    At least you've got an answer!

I have a 7210, bought the 2-year Freshmap service and had to return the device to Navigon because registration with the Navigon-Fresh program was denied. After 5 weeks it came back and "Freshmaps" worked like it should. I just wished they had warned me that ALL the existing maps are deleted as soon as you download just one new map.

Now they sent me an offer to upgrade from 7210 to 7310 with 20 Euro discount. But when I tried to order it the website determined that my device was not registered!

The helpdesk (Stephen Purdue, Wilfred Philips, Ramin Migoli) does not respond to my questions anymore, so I fear they are snowed under with emails from dissatisfied customers.
  • Not so fast. See this thread, http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/89213/, where someone says "Already some people have the 7310 firmware/software running just fine on a US 7200".

If they can jail break an iPhone, it should be easy on this device.

I'm waiting for someone to reply in that thread with the how to instructions.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Not so fast. See this thread, http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/comment/89213/, where someone says "Already some people have the 7310 firmware/software running just fine on a US 7200".

If they can jail break an iPhone, it should be easy on this device.

I'm waiting for someone to reply in that thread with the how to instructions.
    Hmmm, So if I understand correctly, a few people have been able to load JUST the firmware to the 7200T? :o The US maps will stay intact, just the OS is upgraded?

This is GREAT news :P
  • CDK 0 Points
    There is little doubt in my mind that the new software will run on a 72XX navigator with enough memory. It is the peculiar way the Navigon company behaves that worries me.
    I want to buy the 7300 software, have the device connected while online and then they refuse to accept my order for no valid reason :shock: .
    It seems to me that within their organization several departments lead their own life as if they aren't aware of each other.

When my Navigon 7210 was in Germany for so-called repairs I received emails and phone calls from different people, stating that the device had been returned by UPS, later by DHL, but in reality it took over one month before I had it back.
  • Hmmm, So if I understand correctly, a few people have been able to load JUST the firmware to the 7200T? :o The US maps will stay intact, just the OS is upgraded?

It sounds that way. But I have yet to see the details, and will expect to have a few cpomplications involved. But I am willing to try it out if I can just find out more info.
  • Hmmm, So if I understand correctly, a few people have been able to load JUST the firmware to the 7200T? :o The US maps will stay intact, just the OS is upgraded?

It sounds that way. But I have yet to see the details, and will expect to have a few cpomplications involved. But I am willing to try it out if I can just find out more info.
    I'd be all over the upgrade for the 8100t! I downloaded the UK version of Fresh but it says the id file for my unit is incorrect. I'd love to find a way to make it think mine was the euro version so I can buy the upgrade! Anyone know how to hack the code?
  • Deluxe247 0 Points

I'd be all over the upgrade for the 8100t! I downloaded the UK version of Fresh but it says the id file for my unit is incorrect. I'd love to find a way to make it think mine was the euro version so I can buy the upgrade! Anyone know how to hack the code?
    8100T? I thought the update was for the 7210 (upgradeable to the 7310)

Is there also an update for the 8100T? Thats actually the unit I'm buying now. No longer the 7200.
  • If you look on the Euro web site, for $65 Euros, you can download the upgrade for the 8110. I just need to figure out a way to get it to work on the N.A. version! I don't mind paying the $$.!!
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Ahhh, well in that case, SAME HERE :P

I want my 8100 to be as good as possible :D

Let me know if you find out anything.
  • dnajar 0 Points
    I would also purchase the upgrade for the 8100t if available. Despite the lack of support from Navigon (I want them to replace my power cord as it arrived with a bent tip), I LOVE the product itself.
  • CDK 0 Points
    This is the message I received yesterday after I phoned the help desk and asked why they do not respond to my emails:

""Your email has been received with thanks.

We do ask you to accept our sincere apologies for the trouble you had not being able to close the process of paying for the announced upgrade possibilty. This is due to some technical problems with the Navigon-processing-Server. Our technical department is currently dealing and repairing the cause of the problem.

Since payment process for the upgrade has not been concluded, your device remains in its previous version 7210 and should operate accordingly.

We shall let you know when an upgrade is possible as soon as the maintainance work to the server has been completed

Yours sincerely

So it seems to be just a glitch in their server software that prevented me from ordering the update.

There remains another issue though.
    If you buy a Navigon device in another country, you must go to the Navigon site in that country to register the device and download software or maps. I bought mine in France because at the time it was cheaper there, so only the French site recognizes my device.

This may be a big problem for US customers trying to purchase an update in Europe.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    I just now got an answer to my question I sent in a few days ago.

The following is what I sent to the USA Navigon support team:

----------

I recently purchased the 7200T off Tigerdirect.com. I strongly believe that Navigon makes the FINEST GPS devices with the most powerful internal hardware, which allows for advanced features such as 3D terrain. The chief reason I purchased a Navigon instead of a TomTom or Garmin is because the maps are not jerky, but smooth. The graphics on your GPS’s are AMAZING compared to any other device!!! I’m sad to hear yall are pulling out of the US market. It’s quite a bummer.

Anyways... One feature I was REALLY hoping for (for the 7200T) was the BREAKTHROUGH 3D Panorama view(Elevations)! (As an upgrade) I have looked through many different forums and discovered that the 7200T can EASILY support this 3D element. It has practically the SAME hardware as the 7300T... Another fact I discovered is that yall are going to allow 7210 users in Europe to UPGRADE to the 7310 features! WHY NOT LET US 7200 USERS UPGRADE TO 7300 FEATURES??? I am more than willing to pay a fee to obtain the 3D terrain quality! And from what I have real all across many forums, everyone else would do exactly the same! I essentially just don't understand why yall would give this option to 7210 users and NOT 7200 users...It makes no sense. Why would yall not want to charge a fee for 7200 users to get that 3D terrain feature. As I said before, I would gladly pay for it!

Please consider making this an update so that us 7200T users can get that feature. You have pulled out of the US market wish obviously means you will no longer be selling future products here. I simply want to have a GPS which will be advanced enough to keep up with the competition for years to come. I feel it would be smart of your company to offer this as an upgrade to the 7200T users. We all know the 7200 device can handle 3D mapping...We just need that update.

Thanks. =)

----------
    This was their response:

Dear NAVIGON Customer,

Thank you for your mail. We are very impressed of this statement.

We do apologize but there is no chance to upgrade the 7200T to the 7300T in Northern America. As you know we are pulling out of the North American market.
    So we don't offer upgrades here. You seem to like our products very much unfortunately we can't offer you anything of your request.

There is only one thing we can provide to you. The European 7310 will get North American maps in the near future. This is the only possibility to use that features.

Maybe you have the chance to get European device. We wish you all the best in the future.

Sincerely

p.p. Oliver Barfus

So he is basically CONFIRMING there is NO chance of a 7200 to 7300 update....HOWEVER, he does say that the 7310 will soon be getting North American maps which could then of course be used in the US.

So I guess thats that... :?
  • ...maybe it's not dead yet!

Though Navigon won't support the upgrade, there are a lot of pretty smart folks who love to hack devices such as this! All it would take is a hack that tells the European Navigon site that your unit is a 7210, rather than a 7200 (or for me, an 8110 instead of an 8100) and we'd be able to purchase the upgrade! I'd be all for that - not looking for something for nothing, just the upgrade!

I say give it some time...the creative juices of the hacker folks will begin to flow.... :wink:
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Yeah, I guess that's our last chance :?

Oh, and I actually now have to 8100T :P

So if you find that hack before I do, (When it hopefully eventually comes out) let me know 8)
  • Will do! :)
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Thank ya very much :P :D
  • phishhead 0 Points
    I just bought the 7200 to 7200 upgrade off of ebay and a brand new 7200 off of amazon.

I will keep you posted in a few days
  • I just bought the 7200 to 7200 upgrade off of ebay and a brand new 7200 off of amazon.

Any updates?
  • patruns 10 Points
    You know what is really sad about these responses from manufacturers is that the internet doesn't really care what country you are in. If a map from the UK technically works with your software, you should be able to download it from a UK site. I downloaded new NavNGo US maps for my iPAQ from Hungary. Why do some companies refuse to sell outside the US? Most of us are not looking for software updates, we just want new or additional maps. That's like telling me I can't read a Word document created in the UK on a US PC. If the file format is the same, sell us the friggin' map! :evil:
  • I just bought the 7200 to 7200 upgrade off of ebay and a brand new 7200 off of amazon.

Any updates?
    +1

I am on the fence between the 7200T and the 8100T, like Deluxe was/is, so this would be the deal-maker/breaker for me.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    I am away for work. I expect the unit to arrive from amazon by the end of the week and also hope the DVD from ebay will come as well by then.

If all goes well I hope to have the unit up and running by Sunday. I will post info ASAP.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    well I got it on there.

You just replace the four files on there with the ones I got on DVD.

ITs running slow. Buttons not sticking or registering etc.

Going to test it out next few days.

went to product info and it says 7300T now.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    doesnt seem to be working as described. I think I got ripped off.

Ill share it if someone can figure out voice dialing/answering and terrain view
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    Can you at least enter a New Destination? I tried some 7300 software a few weeks ago and that was one feature that would not work. BTW it was not the stuff being sold on E-Bay. I got to see a couple of the new features and they would be nice to have - multiple route choice, expanded voice command.

Did your Ebay DVD come with US maps? There are so many features in the European models that have no relevance or (I suspect) no imbedded data in the US maps and therefore may not work on 7200.

For the time being I think all we can do in the US/Canada is sit and salivate at what we can't have. :roll:
  • xxhaimbondxx 91 Points
    edited July 2009

• phishhead 0 Points
    yes it came with the 2009 Q2 maps. I can navigate to destinations with voice comand. There are multiple routes in my routes.

no expanded coice command tho. I looked in the navigon file folder there are a lot more voice recognition files.

would you be willing to up your software and I could up mine? The maps and POI are at least useful. Are multiple routes unavailable on the 7200T?
  • phishhead 0 Points
    xxhaimbondxx,

would you be willing to help me out? maybe instructions and willing to share your image that is on there or point me in a direction that would be able to help. I would be willing to reimburse you for your support.

please this is driving me nuts. Are you runnning those screen shots off of a 7200T machine!?!
  • phishhead 0 Points
    ok so I now get 3 routes to choose from upon calculating a route. I have the 2009 Q2 maps. It paired with my phone.

I just cant voice command anything accept address entry.

I have the above screen first screen shot when planning a route which is the MAIN thing that I wanted. Traffic factored in and three route choices.

Have the latest maps and can enter commands and it works well.

I am pretty envious of the hacked GPS in the third screen shot. Apprently there is a whole hacking under world for these things. I just wish the poster could at least point me in the right direction. Not sure how you could have that many apps on this thing. I got into the CE function last night and it was a little windows machine. Looks like that third screens shot takes it to the next level tho

THe thing with the version that I have tho is that there is a setting in the general settings that is for voice command and it has the option for complete control. There are also a large amount of files in the voice recognition folder. I hope to get that feature working as well.
  • davelac 91 Points
    A bit off the topic, but are your Landmark 3D buildings functioning with this new version and the 2009_Q2 maps? Several of us have updated the maps and firmware recently to the latest versions only to have the Landmak 3D stop working causing a restore to the original software. Thanks.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    yeah it is in there. I get all of the land marks in 3d view and street names once I turned that option on in settings.

I also did a factory reset(from the settings menu and got a tiny windows ce restart window) after upgrading to 7300t.

I went back and forth between 7200t to see that sotware twice. Before the second time installing 7300t I unlocked a flash drive so it appears in my devices. There was a guide to unlocking it on a gpsunderground site. Maybe that helped
  • phishhead 0 Points
    just to confirm(since I basically didnt use the 7200t software at all), that first screens shot above does NOT come up for regular 7200t users correct? It lets me pick the best of teh three routes.
  • I am pretty envious of the hacked GPS in the third screen shot. [...] Not sure how you could have that many apps on this thing.
    Google MioPocket, and you will find what you seek.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    yeah I was reading about miopocket last night. I just am shocked that he has THAT many apps on there.

Can the 2gb mini sd in the 7200T be change to a larger size? It doesnt seem that it comes out and I have pushed it with paper clip etc.

ALSO, still trying to confirm...that first screen shot is NOT available to 7200T users correct???!?!

and as I said I am willing to up and share this software if anyone is interested. Ill on and offline all week?