This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

POI Warner and 8100t

ThunderLizard 91 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
After installing POI Warner, I found out a few interesting points worth noting:

In order to get POI's Monitored after install, you have to go to "POI-Manager > POI Settings > Acoustic Alert.". Once there you need to click on the small +/- symbol next to the POI up top and "add" the POI's to be monitored. Without this, you may have thousands of POI's synced but you won't be warned.

Once this is done, and you can verify by the main screen that you have a bunch of POI's monitored, then you have to tell the program how to display the warning, by setting the Acoustic Alert and the type of display (3-d road, progress bar, etc.) I chose the 3-d road (nice eye-candy!) and the Navigon Voice alert that says (in a German accented voice) "Warning - approaching hazard" or something like that.

Finally, if you go to the "Edit" screen under POI Manager, and click the Edit button on the right side of the screen, a small keyboard pops up.

Here's the best part:

Click the CTRL key then the ESC key, and the Windows Start menu will appear on the lower left of your screen, giving you easy access to a wide array of settings and functions built in to Windows CE 5.0! (I played with this for about an hour, and was well worth the price of admission! Be careful though - if you change the wrong setting, you may end up having to do a hard reset to get things back to normal!)

One thing to note, I have not been able to get the Search function to work. I could be right next to a POI that it is warning me about, but if I search for it, it comes up blank. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Hope y'all find this helpful!

Comments

• dnajar 0 Points
    Is this the version you bought?

http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=5117

Are these only Europe POIs? Is there somewhere else to find USA POIs?
  • Is this the version you bought?

http://www.navigating.de/cms/index.php?id=5117

Are these only Europe POIs? Is there somewhere else to find USA POIs?
    Yes, that's the one. When you purchase the program, you have to register with the POI provider - POI handler has the US POI's.

All of the POI's are available to you for download, but it makes no sense to me to clutter my device with POI's from Belgium or Denmark, so I just selected the ones labeled US- "...".

As I mentioned, not everything that I was looking for (I really wanted wireless Hot Spots!) but the other functions make it worth the Euro's. (PayPal will convert the order to US $$).

The notification is pretty cool.

Note: Traffic control device alerts require a separate paid subscription. Also, I was really excited about the Weather function, but it's not available in the States yet. :cry:
  • Well, after using POI Warner for a while, I found out one important fact:

you cannot run POI Warner while in 3-D Terrain mode on the 8100T. If you do (or try to) you get an automatic re-boot that will not resolve itself unless you go into Map Settings and disable 3-D.

Thankfully, I only use 3-D sometimes, but I do think that kinda stinks.
  • Hi ThunderLizard. I just ordered a 7200t that will be here on Monday. I am strongly considering purchasing POI-Warner because the 7200t has every feature that I wanted except a robust POI database.

Will this purchase cure my problems? I heard that the 7200t has about 1.7 million POI's. What can I get out of POI-Warner? I would mostly just want a lot of POI's from San Diego and other cities in California since I don't drive much in other states. What do you think?
  • Hi ThunderLizard. I just ordered a 7200t that will be here on Monday. I am strongly considering purchasing POI-Warner because the 7200t has every feature that I wanted except a robust POI database.

Will this purchase cure my problems? I heard that the 7200t has about 1.7 million POI's. What can I get out of POI-Warner? I would mostly just want a lot of POI's from San Diego and other cities in California since I don't drive much in other states. What do you think?
    There are a good number of POI's for California available through POI Handler (the POI provider for POI Warner), but more importantly, POI Warner will enable you to import POI' s from other databases as well. The thing is whether you find the added POI's useful or not. Additionally, I like the ability to record POI's (such as a personal location you want to save), but I have not gotten the functionality out of the red-light and speed cameras that others have.
    So, to answer your question, I would say it's a toss up. Yeah, I got some additional POI's, but I'm not 100% sold on how useful they are!

You can go to the site and explore the :POI's for your area (you'll have to do some digging) to see whether it's worth it, but for $30 U.S., it's not a major expense anyway, and it is fun to play with! That's my $.02! Hope it helps!
  • Thunderlizard, that definitely helps! Now I am confused however. I asked the question as to whether or not I can use POI-Warner on my 7200T on the GpsPaSsion forum and gpspassion from that forum said that I could only add speedcam info and not POI's. He said Navigon did not send the developers of POI-Warner the code to work with the POI's of the 7200T. Is this true? Here is what he said:

"Yes it (POI-Warner) works, but only for speedcam alerts as Navigon stopped providing the code to the makers of POI-Warner (navigating.de). Same with all MN|7 based navigation systems."

Is this true? I just don't want to spend the $30 if I can't get any POI's out of it. Thanks!
  • Thunderlizard, that definitely helps! Now I am confused however. I asked the question as to whether or not I can use POI-Warner on my 7200T on the GpsPaSsion forum and gpspassion from that forum said that I could only add speedcam info and not POI's. He said Navigon did not send the developers of POI-Warner the code to work with the POI's of the 7200T. Is this true? Here is what he said:

"Yes it (POI-Warner) works, but only for speedcam alerts as Navigon stopped providing the code to the makers of POI-Warner (navigating.de). Same with all MN|7 based navigation systems."

Is this true? I just don't want to spend the $30 if I can't get any POI's out of it. Thanks!
    If you check out their website, I believe it does show compatibility with the 7200. If I remember correctly, I questioned whether it would work with the 8100, (which it does) because the 7200 was mentioned as the primary unit it will work on (I believe). One thing I can say, though they are in Germany, the folks at Navigating DE always responded to my emails (allowing for time of day delay) and seemed genuinely concerned about my user experience. Try emailing them and see what they say. Worth a shot!
  • dnajar 0 Points
    Well, after using POI Warner for a while, I found out one important fact:

you cannot run POI Warner while in 3-D Terrain mode on the 8100T. If you do (or try to) you get an automatic re-boot that will not resolve itself unless you go into Map Settings and disable 3-D.

Is this still an issue for you, or have you found a solution?
  • Well, after using POI Warner for a while, I found out one important fact:

Is this still an issue for you, or have you found a solution?
    Still an issue. No workaround that I can see. Most of the time I don't use terrain mode, so it's a just an annoyance.