This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

help with delorme software and number of waypoints

bmwrider 0 Points
I'm creating gps tracks with the delorme topo7.0 and need to no how to reduce the number of waypoints to fit the vista hcx and cant figure it out, the track I'm playing with is only about 4 miles, can the software do this or so I need to use something else?

Comments

• Tim 1481 Points
    You can delete some manually, by clicking on one to select it and then tapping the delete button. It will then automatically select the next one in the series so you can quickly delete multiples.

I think there might also be programs out there that can "thin" waypoints, and perhaps tracks too. I think GPSBabel can do that. You specify how close together you want to eliminate dupes for.
  • bmwrider 0 Points
    Thanks alot, that helps I will look for it and give it a try
  • bmwrider 0 Points
    Does anyone know if you can limit the number of waypoints the delorme software uses to create a track or route ect.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    If you are using the DeLorme software to view a tracklog, then you must have some sort of GPS connected to the software? Or are you getting the tracklog from somewhere else? It is typically the device itself and not the software that is recording tracks.
  • bmwrider 0 Points
    No I think I said I am creating the gps tracks with the software and it is using more waypoints than the vista will allow and when I try to put them in the vista is is always truncated and that changes the the end of the track putting it somewhere in the middle of the track and I can't change it with the gps unit, I need to limit the number while I'm creating the track rather than trying to fix it after
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I guess I don't understand what it is you doing. You said "I said I am creating the gps tracks with the software". If you are creating the track with the DeLorme software and your GPS doesn't allow that many waypoints in the route, then just don't create as many waypoints when building the track. But since that would be too logical, I'm sure I'm not understanding what it is you are doing.

Let's start here, how are you creating the track within Topo USA?
  • bmwrider 0 Points
    Sorry sometimes its hard to ask the right question, I believe when creating a gps track with the delorme software rather than with the gps the software lays out waypoints along the track you have drawn and exceeds the number of waypoints the gps unit will accept and when that track is transfered from the software to the gps unit (vista hcx) the unit truncates (or cuts down the track) changing it buy relocating the end to the track (in this case) rather than thinning out the waypoints along the track, I'm not sure what it is doing when truncating but every time I transfer the that particular track It places the word end 2/3rds of the way through the track rather than at the end of it the way I draw it, but the dotted line continues past the end all the way to the end I drew but will not place the end where it belongs, and the gps will not show me a waypoint named end to delete it, I hope this makes sence
  • Tim 1481 Points
    the software lays out waypoints along the track you have drawn
    Which tool are you using in the Topo USA software to draw the track? Can you describe the general steps you are taking like which tab you are working from, which menu items or toolbar buttons you are clicking on?