This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Magellan 4700?

canuck 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
Magellan get approval from FCC for Maestro 4700 with Voice commands.

Do not know when it will get released. Wonder if there will be other units. Based on the picture it looks like the -/+ is on the front. Looks like it has the Traffic Link option.

Search Magellan 4700 on google and see the short release. The release is not from Magellan.

Comments

• niks1 0 Points
    Magellan - Maestro 4700 GPS :

It seems to be available from Best Buy:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9375008&type=product&id=1218094342175

"
    This 4.7" ultra-slim, wide GPS receiver is equipped with OneTouch favorites, AAA TourBook guide, Bluetooth hands-free calling, predictive traffic, Highway Lane Assist, Voice Command, 6 million points of interest and built-in maps of the United States, Canada and Puerto Rico for easy navigation.

What's Included
    Magellan Maestro 4700 GPS
    DC adapter, built-in 1100 mAh rechargeable lithium-ion battery
    Windshield mount
    USB cable, protective pouch, dash mount disc
    Owner's manual
    "
  • viper 0 Points
    Magellan get approval from FCC for Maestro 4700 with Voice commands.

Do not know when it will get released. Wonder if there will be other units. Based on the picture it looks like the -/+ is on the front. Looks like it has the Traffic Link option.

Search Magellan 4700 on google and see the short release. The release is not from Magellan.
    You can get the entire manual from the US government if you google..I found it.

I just don't know if I should wait for the 4700, Or get Garmin 855 (which has Voice activation) for 250 at Costco, OR, get the Maestro 4350 for 160.00
  • niks1 0 Points

I just don't know if I should wait for the 4700, Or get Garmin 855 (which has Voice activation) for 250 at Costco, OR, get the Maestro 4350 for 160.00
    Current BestBuy price for 4700 is 299 and you do not have to wait if you are in the U.S.

canuck would have to wait - neither BestBuy Canada nor Future Shop (=another name for BestBuy in Canada) carry 4700 right now...
  • canuck 0 Points
    I go to the US every week and could pick up a 4700 if I saw value. thanks.

I wonder if the 4700 is just the start of a few changes?

Maybe that is why the Magellan web page is under reconstruction?
  • viper 0 Points

I'll be curious about how the voice activation works, and lane features.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It was officially announced today:
    SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 6 /PRNewswire/ -- Magellan, one of the leading GPS brands, introduces the Magellan Maestro 4700 GPS device. The ultra-slim device features a wide 4.7-inch color touch screen and includes many premium features to deliver a robust navigation experience for users. In addition to Magellan's OneTouch user interface, the Magellan Maestro 4700 device also performs advanced navigation tasks with built-in voice command capabilities and hands-free Bluetooth calling.

"The Magellan Maestro 4700 lets you keep your eyes on the road and hands on the wheel," said Mike Wagner, senior director of product marketing for Magellan. "We have incorporated voice command, Bluetooth, and highway lane assist to help you reach your destination with confidence. The large 4.7-inch screen is easily viewable in all lighting conditions. Thanks to our unique OneTouch favorites menu and our AAA partnership, the Magellan Maestro 4700 makes trip planning and traveling easier and less stressful."

The Magellan Maestro 4700 features several premium features including:

-- Exclusive OneTouch(TM) Favorites Menu: Access favorite destinations
    and searches with personalized bookmarks. Reach your favorite cafe or
    restaurant in any city with a single touch. To meet consumer
    requests, the Magellan Maestro 4700 now offers an additional twelve
    bookmarks to save favorites.
    -- Bluetooth Compatible Hands-Free Calling: Make or receive calls using
    a compatible cell phone. Access your phone's address book to access
    up to 1000 numbers directly from your Magellan Maestro 4700. The
    noise-cancelling microphone keeps road noise down so you are heard
    clearly.
    -- Predictive Traffic: Analyzes past traffic patterns when creating a
    route to help you avoid known delays. Choose to stay on your current
    route or go with suggested less congested routes.
    -- Instant Access to All Points Of Interest (POI): Perform one search
    and get results from both the standard POI database and the
    Magellan-exclusive AAA TourBook(R) guide. Results are organized in a
    tabbed format.
    -- "Find Your Car" with Pedestrian Mode: Remembers the location of your
    car in parking lots, airports, malls, universities, amusement parks or
    stadiums. When your day is done the Magellan Maestro 4700 will
    automatically guide you to your car.
    -- 3D Landmarks: Displays visual cues to help drivers perform maneuvers
    and find destinations.
    -- Larger Fonts: Makes viewing easier and safer while driving.
    -- Intuitive, Context-Driven Touch Zones: Provides drivers with a
    completely interactive map screen.
    -- New Address Book: Makes adding an address a snap with smart address
    summary that lets users save complete itineraries.

-- QuickSpell(R) with Smart City Search: Allows quick, single-address
    entry or convenient multi-destination trip planning, including route
    optimization.

The manufacturer's suggested price for the Magellan Maestro 4700 is $299.99. It ships with a windshield mount and cradle; 12-volt vehicle power adapter; USB cable, protective pouch, adhesive disk for alternative, on-dash mounting; and quick reference guide. For additional accessories, including cases, pouches, and other mounting options, visit www.MagellanGPS.com.

Map updates for Magellan products can be purchased separately.

About MiTAC Digital Corp.

MiTAC Digital Corp. is a wholly-owned subsidiary of MiTAC International Corporation and promotes and sells products and services under the Magellan brand name. Magellan assists people to travel, work and play their way with leading portable navigation and positioning solutions across multiple consumer markets. Recognized as an industry innovator, the company is the producer of the award-winning Magellan RoadMate(R), and MaestroTM series portable car navigation systems, as well as the Magellan Triton(R) outdoor handheld navigation devices. MiTAC Digital Corp. is headquartered in Santa Clara, Calif. For more information on Magellan, visit http://www.magellangps.com/.

About AAA

As North America's largest motoring and leisure travel organization, AAA provides more than 51 million members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive-related services. Since its' founding in 1902, the not-for-profit, fully tax-paying AAA has been a leader and advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. AAA clubs can be visited on the Internet at www.AAA.com.

The Magellan logo, Magellan, RoadMate, QuickSpell, Triton are registered trademarks of MiTAC International Corporation and OneTouch, Maestro are trademarks of MiTAC International Corporation and are used under license by MiTAC Digital Corp. All rights reserved. The AAA TourBook, Roadside Assistance are trademarks of American Automobile Association. AAA(C) 2009 All rights reserved. All other trademarks and registrations are the property of their respective owners.
  • mvl 191 Points
    -- Predictive Traffic: Analyzes past traffic patterns when creating a
    route to help you avoid known delays. Choose to stay on your current
    route or go with suggested less congested routes.
    Predictive Traffic must be an implementation of Navteq Traffic Patterns.

This would be the first product to release Navteq's competitor to Tomtom IQroutes. I'll check it out at Best Buy when it shows up.
  • viper 0 Points
    what is this exactly?
  • mvl 191 Points
    See here for IQroutes:
    http://www.tomtom.com/whytomtom/topic.php?topic=5&subject=3

It gives so much better urban directions, that I would never consider buying another GPS without it.

If this Predictive Traffic feature works similarly, then Magellan would have joined Tomtom in the top tier of directions engines.
  • viper 0 Points
    See here for IQroutes:
    http://www.tomtom.com/whytomtom/topic.php?topic=5&subject=3

It gives so much better urban directions, that I would never consider buying another GPS without it.

If this Predictive Traffic feature works similarly, then Magellan would have joined Tomtom in the top tier of directions engines.
    Very cool..I wonder how well it would work in cities like NYC and LA
  • Tim 1481 Points
    It really depends how much data they have been able to collect.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I love IQroutes. It works very well in Boston and NYC (except rush hour, see below).

NYC traffic is a little less predictable, so I find that the Tomtom PLUS traffic is helpful in avoiding Yankees traffic, etc.

Tomtom IQroutes has a major bug in rush hour, however. It doesn't capture speeds lower than 10mph, so it thinks some of the biggest rush hour jams (eg: Jamaicaway and Route 9 in Boston) are much faster they they truly are. I find IQroutes only marginally helpful in rush hour, the traffic receiver is much more valuable.

I heard rumors that the Navteq Traffic Patterns system does not have this 10mph filter, so it conceivably will be much more useful in rush hour.

The Best Buy near my job has 4700's in stock. If they have a display unit, I'll test out how the engine works on some IQroutes scenarios that I know of, and post my findings.
  • viper 0 Points
    I love IQroutes. It works very well in Boston and NYC (except rush hour, see below).

NYC traffic is a little less predictable, so I find that the Tomtom PLUS traffic is helpful in avoiding Yankees traffic, etc.

Tomtom IQroutes has a major bug in rush hour, however. It doesn't capture speeds lower than 10mph, so it thinks some of the biggest rush hour jams (eg: Jamaicaway and Route 9 in Boston) are much faster they they truly are. I find IQroutes only marginally helpful in rush hour, the traffic receiver is much more valuable.

I heard rumors that the Navteq Traffic Patterns system does not have this 10mph filter, so it conceivably will be much more useful in rush hour.

The Best Buy near my job has 4700's in stock. If they have a display unit, I'll test out how the engine works on some IQroutes scenarios that I know of, and post my findings.
    Would be interesting read..thanks!

Still want them to add my car tracking feature, so I can use MY path to point A/B as the destination.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Still want them to add my car tracking feature, so I can use MY path to point A/B as the destination.
    You'd be surprised how good a job IQroutes does at finding "your path", assuming you want the fastest one - try it out on routes.tomtom.com. If Predictive Traffic is competitive with IQroutes, the 4700 may be a good upgrade for you.

I'm really excited about Navteq Traffic Patterns, mostly because I'd like to move back to an in-dash nav (I hate how PNDs are theft magnets). Most in-dash solutions (including the one I own and ignore because it has no IQroutes) are Navteq based.

It seems to take a few days from a new PND being in-stock at Best Buy, to them putting it out for a demo. I'm itching to try out the 4700, we'll see how quickly Best Buy puts out the demos.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    Well after having trouble with my Nuvi 785t and the tomtom 740 live I purchased to replace the 785t. I drove 50 miles last night to purchaes a 4700 from a Best Buy that had one in stock. Not being a GPS Guru, I really cannot say if it is better or worse than the previous two that I had but I do really like the larger screen on it and it is much better in direct sunlight than the other two.
    I was really not sure about purchasing a Magellan again after all the problem's I had with a previous one I owned and their customer support, it was only after I read on here that Magellan was purchased by another company that I decided to give it a shot.
    I only used the 4700 on the drive home which was about a hour that I got to use it but it was really a improvement over the other two on screen brightness and clear and sharp screen. the voice on the 4700 is much better and the reroute redraw is much faster than the Garmin or the tomtom.
    I only hope that the voice control on this is better than the 740 because I really got tired of having to repeat myself five times to get the GPS to understand what I was saying.
    Well we will see how it does after a few weeks but I really think that this one is a keeper, I only wish that it had the traffic receiver included with it, but we cannot have everything!!!
  • mvl 191 Points
    Moe3754 - did the directions the Magellan gave you seem as good or better than the ones you would chose yourself?
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    They were as good as I use but the GPS sometimes does not take the exact route that I would in known territory, it thinks that you have never been there before and so it picks the simplest route which sometimes is not the shortest or the fastest.

In all the Garmin's and the tomtom I had they did not follow the route that I took in known territory either so I do not think that this is a bad thing because the route it showed would have been about a mile longer and a few minutes longer than it really was.

All in all I feel that this is really a good GPS, would I recommend it: Yes, I just hope that the new company solves the bad customer service rap that Magellan had, if anything that was what made me think twice about getting this.

The larger screen is really GREAT also!!!!

Hope this helps!! :D

Also I tried the voice control and it is spot on I never had to repeat myself and it understood the command the first time, it has the Garmin and Tomtom voice control beat hands down!!!
  • Does the 4700 have live traffic like the roadmate 1475T?

The predictive traffic can be useless if it doesn't get updates on current traffic.
  • mvl 191 Points
    This is interesting - it improves on both my safety concerns with the Tomtom system. I am ready to buy a 940 the day it's released, but this gives me pause.

Does it have the "Magellan" command for initiating voice recognition? With Tomtom x40's you have to tap a teeny icon prior to saying anything. Can you get the 4700 to do all the key tasks 100% by voice, so your hands never have to leave the steering wheel? Eg: tell it to go to a certain named address, or find and go to a POI?

The 4.7" screen is an improvement over the typical 4.3". Bigger is better as far as cars go IMO. I hope screens keep getting bigger, and I expect that some states will legislate 8" minimum GPS screens in 5-10 years. It goes a long long way to improving driving safety.

I'm still a huge IQroutes fan. It gives perfect "known territory" routes 75% of the time, and 24% of the remaining 25% are due to 2 known bugs that I've been harping on to all my Tomtom contacts. Not going the best "known territory" way gives me pause that Predictive Traffic may still be far behind IQroutes.

IQroutes saves me time and headaches, and the only way I can justify (in my conscience) driving my family around with a teeny 4.3" GPS is that IQroutes avoids traffic very very well, and traffic congestion is as likely or more likely to get me into an accident than reading and typing on a 4.3" screen will.

I'll keep checking out my local Best Buy - I'm hoping they put a 4700 demo on display soon.
  • mvl 191 Points
    Does the 4700 have live traffic like the roadmate 1475T?

The predictive traffic can be useless if it doesn't get updates on current traffic.
    Magellan's website says you can buy a Traffic Link antenna accessory for it, but the Traffic Link doesn't say it's compatible with the 4700. (the antenna web page may not be up to date yet)
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    The traffic receiver does not come with it but it can be purchased from Amazon quite cheap. Since I will not be doing any more long trips this year I doubt that I will spend the money on it yet.

As for known routes for tomtom that is a total joke tomtom 740 was the worst and it also said that my local costco was 2 miles from where it really is and that sam's club had moved across the highway into home depot, to me tomtom is the absolute worst, For all the bugs the 785t has, at least it got me to my destination properly.

Voice control on tomtom NEVER worked at all, after repeating it five times I finally gave up, and yes the 4700 is just like the Garmin 885 and the tomtom you have to press a button to activate it but it gives you the complete list of commands that it will accept and it automatically starts when you get into the AAA section of the GPS.

unless you are a diehard tomtom or garmin fan I say forget those junk toys and get something that is not buggy or tempermental like those other two.
  • mvl 191 Points
    I guess our experiences are different. For me Tomtom routes were near perfect. Your destinations weren't on a divided highway, were they? Divided-road U-turns are the second Tomtom routing bug that I didn't elaborate on earlier.

I haven't tried the google POIs on the 740, but the POIs on the 930 (copied to my 720) are about 90% right in my area (Boston). The Tomtom roads have way more errors than Navteq devices like Garmin/Magellan have in Boston.

But with Tomtom you can self-fix these errors realtime, manually correcting all POIs, maps, and even the U-turn bug. That somewhat offsets the issue.

I was a Tomtom die-hard fan, and am still a die-hard IQroutes fan. But you're convincing me to give the 4700 an honest look. The 4700 voice commands and screen size are HUGE selling points. For me the make-or-break decision will be if the 4700 directions quality is close enough (or better) than IQroutes.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    Costco was not near a highway it was on a major road and the sam's was also on a major road the highway and the home depot were two miles to the east of sam's.

As for the self correct you speak of I feel that if I pay over $300.00 for a GPS why should I have to fix it myself when it should be correct out of the box, had few problem's with the garmin on routeing and none with the 4700, I took it out today and put it through the paces and had no problem's at all with it. To me the best GPS I have owned in a long time, have yet to find any bugs at all in it.

Also it took me to costco's front door and sam's also, so at least it know's where they are and it did take me my usual route to them.

also as a side note it get's satellite fixes much faster than the Garmin and tomtom even with a external antenna on the garmin.
  • Nozzleman 0 Points
    Just FYI, the 4700 is on sale @ Bestbuy this week for $249

So tempting
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    Yes I went back yesterday and got my $50.00 dollars difference refunded to me, and this thing is great, it just gets better and better everytime I use it. There is a learning curve with it but once I get to know it good and what it can do it should suite my needs very well. I am considering getting the traffic power cord from Amazon just to see what that adds to it. This is the first time I have ever had fun with a GPS unit and looked forward to putting it to use, all my others just sat on a shelf until I needed them, this one I never leave the house without it.
  • Does 4700 got the same resolution as 4370 or just like 4350?
    Thx!
  • bkstyl 0 Points
    Right now Amazon is offering the 4700 for $249.00 as a preorder. If you preorder the device they are also offering the Traffic Link 50% off (sale price is 58.99, you get it for $29.49).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/ref=amb_link_84741011_2?ie=UTF8&docId=1000398081&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=hero-quick-promo&pf_rd_r=1K3X59G1YV9448AX0J20&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=482601831&pf_rd_i=B002DMK1R0
  • Nozzleman 0 Points
    is there a monthly fee tied to that traffic link?
  • bkstyl 0 Points
    is there a monthly fee tied to that traffic link?
    From what I've read the 4700 is Traffic Link capable device so you would just need to purchase the accessory; no subscription.
  • jtmedma 0 Points

I'll be curious about how the voice activation works, and lane features.
    Voice activation is pretty bad. You have to repeat commands over and over.
    Also, if you use voice to ask you to confirm your request (could not find what answer it was looking for, tried "yes", "go", etc kept asking to repeat command, finally, it accepts "Go there", but not after 5 or 6 repeats.)

Also had a Garmin 265t for a month, very nice, the bluetooth was excellent, it was totally hands free, where you can use voice to place calls but the sound starting going on it so I returned it. I had a Magellan
    roadmate 800 before shopping for a new gps, where I was use to the ding when you come to a turn, the garmin did not have that and I liked that feature, so I went with a 4700.
    The bluetooth on the 4700 is not as good as the garmin, as far as I know,
    I can not place calls using voice just answer calls. Also, when it imported my address book, it just ported phone numbers no addresses. The phone numbers it import are not seperated properly but still make the call (ex. phone # 1(222)345-6789 was ported as (122)234-56789, it's almost like it does not like the "1". Also, my phone is not officially supported, I have a Samsung I-760 (it was not officially supported by garmin but worked flawlessly). Maybe someone else can report on using bluetooth with a supported phone.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    I use the Nokia 5800xm and it is not supported but I have had no problems at all with it and the Bluetooth, as for sending calls I do not do that because that is a traffic hazard and dangerous, you want to call someone pull over and make the call, as for receiving calls it is great.

As for the voice activation I have had no problems at all and I have had a Tomtom live 740 and a Garmin 880 and those were junk as far as voice activation goes, if you wait for the picture of the guy speaking to show up and then speak it works with no problem at all, the other two I had, you had to speak very slow and over pronounce the word so they could understand, and even with that I never got the tomtom to work at all.
  • jtmedma 0 Points
    I use the Nokia 5800xm and it is not supported but I have had no problems at all with it and the Bluetooth, as for sending calls I do not do that because that is a traffic hazard and dangerous, you want to call someone pull over and make the call, as for receiving calls it is great.

As for the voice activation I have had no problems at all and I have had a Tomtom live 740 and a Garmin 880 and those were junk as far as voice activation goes, if you wait for the picture of the guy speaking to show up and then speak it works with no problem at all, the other two I had, you had to speak very slow and over pronounce the word so they could understand, and even with that I never got the tomtom to work at all.
    That's what I mean, with the Garmin, I never had to touch my phone, just said command (ex. Call Home; Call <name>,etc), did not have to worry about taking my eyes off the road.
    I did wait for picture of guy speaking, maybe it's other noise in car or maybe I am not speaking clearly (Pittsburgh accent, living in Boston, it's tough to be a Steelers fan). Will need to try again.
    That said, I still like 4700 more than garmin 265t.
  • I bought the 4700 last Saturday from Best Buy (for $50 off – $249.99). The unit is fantastic, except for the power connection. The power connection has a right angle which does not allow the GPS to be attached or unattached from the dash mount with the power cord connected. Due to the much smaller dash mount, this makes proper positioning of the GPS impossible. I consider this a serious design flaw. I called Magellan customer support about this and was told I just needed to plug the unit in after it was mounted on the dash! Unless I can find a left angle power connection, this is a deal breaker for me. Does anyone at this forum have the ability to pass these comments on to Magellan (or MiTAC, the parent company)?
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    Yes I have a left angle adaptor but I got it a long time ago when the Motorola Razr cell phone came out, the adaptor is made by Motorola. It does plug in to the 4700 and moves the power hookup to the left but I have not tried it in my truck yet because the OEM hookup does not bother me at all. I just remember having it and after seeing your post decided to check it out even though I doubt that I will even use it. The pluses of the 4700 far out weigh the minor problem of the power hookup!!
  • That is good information. I will look for the left angle plug. Yes, the pluses are many, but in order to meet the new California laws on GPS units, the right angle cord does not allow the existing mount to be used in my wife’s car and still leave the windshield clear and the airbags unobstructed. This is the deal breaker. Once I find the left angle plug we are back in business.
  • niks1 0 Points
    An (straight) adaptor from Maestro 4350 would also resolve this problem and, I would guess, it will provide proper power supply too.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    I tried my angled adaptor yesterday and it works just fine on the 4700 but the only bad thing is that it is not for sale from Motorola at all, I checked the web site and called Motorola tech support and it seems that it was just something that was included with that phone and is no longer used or made at all!!
  • samsvoc 0 Points
    I'm looking to buy the Magellan 4700 when it arrives in Canada but for anyone with the 4700, can you tell me if you can store custom POI's?
  • I just bought the 4700 from Dell for $210 shipped.

Will post comments once it is here.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    Well my time with the 4700 is over it froze up on me and would not reset and after a hour on hold with Magellan and no help what so ever I took it back to Best Buy and have ordered a Garmin 855 from Costco for $250.00, guess I was wrong to stray away from Garmin. They may be expensive but at least they have decent customer support and make a decent product!!! I know I dissed Garmin before but when you want the one that works no matter how tempermental it is that would be Garmin and I have never waited longer than 20 minutes on the phone for Garmin support and they have always fixed it the first time. This is my third Magellan that has ended in disaster starting way back to the roadmate 6000, never again , three times I have learned my lesson.
  • chrisexv6 0 Points
    What were you doing when it froze? Anything "special"?

I just received my 4700 today, along with a Tom Tom Xl340S. So far they both seem nice....I like the bigger screen on the Magellan but I like the more detailed map view on the TomTom (speed, distance, etc all on display at the same time)

Didnt know you could get a Garmin 8 series from Costco for 250 or so. Since the Magellan cost that much it could be an option for me. I wanted the Magellan so i could have Navteq maps + predictive traffic. I know IQRoutes is probably better but TomTom uses maps that have recently gotten me lost.
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    It just froze up while in use and would not do anything at all, fortunately I was just messing around getting use to it when it happened and nothing I did could get it to work at all and Magellan tech support has not changed they are still as dumb as posts, so I just packed it up and took it back, as for the Costco deal it is for a limited time and when they are gone it is over. Garmin 855 for $250.00 is a real good deal and from what I understand all of them in the 800 series have been reworked and have all new firmware and the 2010.10 map version.
  • chrisexv6 0 Points
    Ive read all of the tech supports are dumb as posts :)

Im going on a trip and am taking the Magellan 4700, Tom Tom XL340S and a Garmin 265T. I knwo the 265 is the "lightweight" out of all of them but I wanted to get a feel for each company vs the other.

Ive read of problems with units from every company. Cant see why Magellan would be any different, could have just been one bad unit. I havent used mine extensively but I punched in a few different destinations and didnt have a problem. I didnt actually DRIVE the routes though, that will happen tomorrow (and why I will have 2 backup units :) ).
  • niks1 0 Points
    It just froze up while in use and would not do anything at all.
    I know this recommendation will be useless to you, but let me repeat what I stated in another thread. If your Maestro " froze up while in use and would not do anything at all" you should press the start button and keep it pressed -- after 5-10 sec Maestro will wake up and will start the re-boot, but... keep the button pressed! It will re-start again, which, in Windows terms, means something like cold re-start and purge of the disk space. The problem (froze up) was created by what you said "just messing around getting use to it" -- Magellan ran out of disk space. I am not trying to state that this was exactly your problem, but this explanation would be consistent with a single 'froze up' after ""just messing around". If the 4700 would keep freezing for no reason, then , I would say, this GPS has big problems...
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    We tried that when I finally got to tech support and he got through his script and guess what it did not work at all, it just stayed on the screen that it froze on and NOTHING would get it to work, so the JUST MESSING around had nothing to do with it at all!!!And by messing around I mean I was running some routes that I put in it with my truck so NO I was not just playing with it but doing some routes!!!
  • chrisexv6 0 Points
    I just used mine for a couple routes around my area.

I started each route off as listed on the device, then I threw it for a loop to get it to recalculate. Each recalculation was very quick.

Once I had to get gas so I just took a random exit and the second route I took a left instead of a right then went straight while it told me to to turn. Each recalculation was very quick (10-15 seconds) and the directions were dead on.

One quirk Ive noticed is that my final destination is a little off (about 500' in the case of my home), but not so far that Im not on the right street. Love the bell, so far its been basically dead on. And so far no random freezes.

Im headed out later tonight, I will use the TomTom and see how it handles changing routes, etc.
  • bkstyl 0 Points
    I just bought the 4700 from Dell for $210 shipped.

Will post comments once it is here.
    How did you get that price? It's listed for $295.
    http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Car_Vehicle_GPS/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=A2931432

Never mind....
    I guess you took advantage of this deal: Dell Home has a 35% off coupon valid on most car GPS navigation systems with coupon 1TPTWP6NJQZM0F.

BTW the coupon deal is dead.
  • chrisexv6 0 Points
    Just used the 4700 for one way of my trip. Worked out nicely.

The traffic feature *seemed* to make some difference but we left at a good no-traffic time anyway so I wasnt exactly sure. The route it chose is the same as the route the TomTom 340 chose, for what its worth. I chose to use a different beginning for the route (avoiding I-95), the 4700 recalculated nicely (and quickly like yesterday)

The POI's were handy.........kid wanted Wendys on the way down, so we found him one :) it was also nice to be able to just add it to the trip (kinda like a lite version of multi-destination routing), even though I felt it took too many "clicks" to do so. Seemed like you HAVE to click "optimize" to put the new destination first before the final destination. Not sure why they made it that way, but I never really read up on the feature so I was just flying by night at that point.

Ill be using the TomTom on the way home so I can compare. The 4700 has the WAF right now, probably because of the bigger screen (who woulda thunk, size matters....)
  • I was wondering if you could create your own route and then upload it to the GPS? If not is there any units that this is possible? I use mapquest alot and usually change the routes that they suggest by dragging the highlighted line to where I would like to go. Is this possible with the Magellan? Would I have to buy sepperate software to do this?

Thanks Dave
  • Moe3754 0 Points
    You can do that with the Garmin GPS, map quest and google maps both can be transfered to the Garmin GPS. I do not know about the Magellan or tomtom gps.