This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Is it worth it?

WizeGuyDezignz 5 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hi I'm new here and I am growing tired of my Garmin StreetPilot C320. I think it's time to move on and the Navigon 7200t has all the features that I am looking for.

With Navigon shutting its doors in Northern America do you think it's a safe decision to buy one of these? Are they in trouble as a company or just in the States? Also, are some of the complaints valid, or would I love this over my C320?

I can get one for around $200 right now so it seems like a steal with the feature set. Do you think it's worth it or should I stay with Garmin or another major brand?

Comments

• It's not going to kill you, man. Give it a shot and return it if you don't like it. Amazon have them for about $170.
  • Tim 1465 Points
    I would avoid it. I wouldn't take the risk on a device that you might not be able to get products support for, application updates, or map updates. So far Navigon has come through with one map update since they announced they were pulling out of the North America market-- but it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get the updates down the road. I wouldn't take the risk.

What features are you looking for that can't be found from another brand at a similar price?
  • AlexM555 0 Points
    I think Navigon would face lawsuits if they did not at least support those who bought FreshMaps. It's not like they are filing bankruptcy. For them not to honor their commitment would be fraudulent and illegal. Just because they are not here in the US doesn't mean that they are gone legally. With FreshMaps no longer being offered, it sets a time table as to how long Navigon will have to support the North American devices...3 years max. After that, they're off the hook as far as supporting the US owners.

Alex
  • Tim 1465 Points
    Just because they might face a lawsuit doesn't mean they wouldn't do it. Don't forget, the FreshMaps product doesn't guarantee quarterly updates for three years. It says this:
    your NAVIGON FreshMaps subscription includes three years of complimentary map downloads (up to twelve sequential map updates).
    I haven't seen any language that guarantees any minimum level of updates.
  • egale 0 Points
    Also, I don't think you will see any software updates. Like all gpss, the 7200T could use a couple of firmware fixes. I'm sure you won't be seeing of those coming.

If you are ok with an orphaned unit the way it is right now, go for it, otherwise, pass on it and go with something that will be supported for a bit.
  • All points considered, if you can get a 7200T for under $200, I would go for it! You can't touch the functionality and features for that $$ with any other unit I've seen.

As what was said, what's the worst that can happen? Almost every GPS has it's "quirks" and when a current manufacturer discontinues a unit, firmware and software updates usually go away anyway. I say go for it! (JMHO!)
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Almost every GPS has it's "quirks" and when a current manufacturer discontinues a unit, firmware and software updates usually go away anyway. I say go for it! (JMHO!)
    Both TomTom and Garmin still support and offer updates to discontinued models. My 760, tho "discontinued" several months ago, was offered an application update just this month. :wink:
  • WizeGuyDezignz 5 Points
    edited May 2009
    I would avoid it. I wouldn't take the risk on a device that you might not be able to get products support for, application updates, or map updates. So far Navigon has come through with one map update since they announced they were pulling out of the North America market-- but it wouldn't surprise me if you couldn't get the updates down the road. I wouldn't take the risk.

What features are you looking for that can't be found from another brand at a similar price?
    Good points Tim. Basically all I am looking for is faster satellite acquisition than my C320, a vast POI database, Lane Assist and Bluetooth that supports my phone (Verizon XV6900, AKA the HTC Touch/Vogue CDMA).

If I could find a GPS with that feature set for no more than $250, I would be more than happy to pass up the 7200t. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks!!
  • Tim 1465 Points
    The TomTom GO 730 probably comes closest at that price-- although I didn't check to see if it was compatible with your phone. But it does have very fast satellite acquisition, Bluetooth, Lane Assistant (though not in as many places as Garmin or Navigon), and a decent POI database.
  • The TomTom GO 730 probably comes closest at that price-- although I didn't check to see if it was compatible with your phone. But it does have very fast satellite acquisition, Bluetooth, Lane Assistant (though not in as many places as Garmin or Navigon), and a decent POI database.
    Thanks Tim, that seems like a very good option. I have looked into TomTom before but I am very confused as to if my phone is supported. On their cell phone compatibility website it does say that they support the HTC Touch. But it doesn't show up under their Verizon list, it just shows up under HTC phones. Does that mean it will support this specific Verizon version since it's technically a HTC Touch?

Also I forgot to mention another feature that would be nice and that would be free traffic updates. That is another main feature that drove me to the Navigon. Do Garmin or TomTom offer this service for free? If not, how much do they charge for it? Thanks so much!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    The newer Nuvi 7x5t's have free traffic and some others maybe I am not sure of. I believe the new 1xx0t's that are coming soon have free lifetime traffic too. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134

They also have lane assist, junction view, speed limit signs, eco-route, and 3-D buildings.

Plus you can buy the Garmin lifetime map updates for a one-time price and you get up to 4 map updates per year for the as long as you have the GPS for no extra cost. http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/us/maps/numaps-lifetime
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Circuit City is now online only again and you can get a refurbished 7200t for $179 and only $1.99 for standard shipping. http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4627432&sku=N224-1036 RB
  • Boyd 1800 Points
    Circuit City is now online only again
    Wow - I had no idea. Some quick googling finds that the same company - Systemax, Inc - has also purchased CompUSA and Tiger Direct.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Yeah I had gotten an e-mail a little while ago saying Circuit City was online again but only online but forgot who bought it.

http://www.circuitcity.com/sectors/opt-outv2.asp
  • Wow, I am still having major struggles deciding what I should get. Every time I go against getting the 7200t, I keep thinking about how stacked it is feature wise and how it has all the features that I want.

Right now I can get a refurbished TomTom Go 730 for $150 after rebate. But I heard the bluetooth is subpar, the screen is almost impossible to see in the sunlight and the speech recognition is subpar. Not to mention it also doesn't have free traffic updates.

The 7200t has exactly what I want but I am so on the fence about if it will ever get updates again. Although Best Buy is still selling the map update cards. Does that mean they will still support the 7200t for a while? Any advice would be appreciated!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    It sounds like some are having troubles getting things fixed and it seems that e-mail responses are coming from overseas now.

Here is what someone said about trying get a new power cord.
    I feel let down by Navigon. I just purchased the 8100T last week after much consideration. Despite bluetooth issues with my ENV2 cell phone which causes the volume to disappear until I reset I like the unit very much. My power cord has some issues though so I contacted Customer Support and requested if I could swap it with them. Here is their reponse:

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately we not even have a local office in America. The best possibility for you is to look at ebay or another internet platform. Of course you can purchase at our european platform http://www.navigon.com/site/uk/en, but it would be very expensive to sent to you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am likely going to return my unit. Incredibly frustrating considering how much research I put into the decision.
    I had sent an e-mail from the Navigon USA site a few days ago and the response came fron the UK.
  • caryrae, that's unfortunate. I mean if they just do map updates, I would be fine with that. I would cross any malfunction bridge if it came. I don't travel all over the place that much, so if I just had semi-updated maps I think I would be good.

On the other hand, the other unit that seems to have almost all of the features of the 7200t is the Garmin Nuvi 755t. That unit looks very desirable to me, but the price tag is more than double. Do you know anything of that unit?
  • caryrae 92 Points
    I have the 755t and am pretty happy with it and Garmin usaually as pretty good customer service. One time I e-mailed them about a new car power cord for a SP 2730 I had and they sent me a new one for free no questions asked.

I also purchased the lifetime map updates which give you all the map updates you can get for as long as you have the unit at no extra charge. It does cost a one-time fee of like $100-$120 but if you would keep the unit for a few years it's worth it.
  • davelac 91 Points
    Radio Shack online is advertising the 5100 max at $129 which included 2-yrs of Freshmaps. Other than the 3d buildings, it looks like its about the same as the 7200t.

Anyone know anything about this unit since it was only sold through Radio Shack? I'm on the fence too about getting a second Navigon, but for $129 it might be worth it. Any thoughts out there? Thanks.
  • Dave, it sounds like you've had a Navigon before. What do you think of them?
  • davelac 91 Points
    I have a 2100max w/Zagat, Traffic and Freshmaps - owned it for a little over a year. It's my first GPS so I really had nothing to compare it to. After reading reviews and looking at features, there were a few things I didn't find in the competition (1) Lane Assist and Realty View, (2) POIs with branded images and (3) map updates at a reasonable cost. I don't use it everyday, but do use it quite a bit for travelling out of town. Navigons may not be the best, but they certainly aren't the worse. Disappointed that the company left North America as I think they had a lot of promise and many of the Navigon features are now starting to come out on the other brands.
  • davelac 91 Points
    OK - I did it. Spent $209 for a new 7200T at Amazon. Hopefully it will worth the effort. If I get a couple of years out of it with the same maps, so be it.
  • Dave that's funny, I also pulled the trigger on one from Amazon today for $209. I know I could have gotten a refurb for $179, but I just wasn't comfortable with that for some reason.

I feel the same way in thinking it should last me 2-3 years even with the current map. I don't do a crazy amount of driving so I can't imagine streets changing that much for me. Heck, I'm using an old Garmin C320 Streetpilot currently with ancient maps and it still gets me around on trips and such.

I think I might try POI-Warner however to add to the paltry 7200t database. Have you thought about that? What about Freshmaps? Are you going to attempt to find that?
  • papa 0 Points
    I also bought a 7200T (when Amazon had it for $199), mainly for posterity, but after using it I really liked it. I had a 8100T a while back and there's not much difference between the two except the price and the size. I prefer the 4.3 screen of the 7200T rather than the 8100T's larger screen (easier to store). I would prefer larger/darker fonts a few more POI's, but for the price, I can live with it.

One of the big complaints about the 7200T that I observed on some threads was lockups and resets. I haven't had a lockup or had to reset yet. The reality view is fantastic and voice recognition is very accurate. Not to mention the Zagat ratings and free lifetime traffic. I had purchased a 3 yr. Freshmaps subscription when I had the 8100T. When I got the 7200T, Navigon painlessly transferred the subscription to it. No hassles.

I also bought a Nuvi 855 from Costco for $299, but I like the 7200T better. When traveling with the 855, I *never* see the overhead green highway signs, but with the 7200T, they all show up. Also, the traffic updates work great in the 7200T and show up even when I've driven "out of range".

If you're *thinking* about getting a 7200T, now's the time.

These comments are only MHO. To each his own.
  • papa445, that sounds great. I know I'm going to love the 7200t! At my local Fry's Electronics, they sell both the 7200t and 8100t, but they only have the 8100t on display.

I played around with that and figured the 7200t would be pretty much identical. I really liked what I saw while playing with it.

The only thing I'm concerned with is the paltry POI database. With that being said, I am prepared to either overpay for a Freshmaps card and/or get POI-Warner. Do you have any thoughts on that? If I pay say $100 for a Freshmaps card, do you think Navigon will still give us updates for a couple of more years?
  • papa 0 Points
    The only thing I'm concerned with is the paltry POI database. With that being said, I am prepared to either overpay for a Freshmaps card and/or get POI-Warner. Do you have any thoughts on that? If I pay say $100 for a Freshmaps card, do you think Navigon will still give us updates for a couple of more years?
    More POI's and/or panorama view is not a deal breaker for me. For the price, the 7200T is feature-loaded and gets you from point A to point B rather well. I use it every day and love it. I particularly like the Voice Recognition and Reality View -- some people don't. I have *read/heard* that you can't activate a new Freshmaps card, because of Navigon's exit from NA. Therefore, if you can't activate the card, you can't get map updates. Someone else probably knows whether that's true or not. As to POI-Warner, not sure about that.

The above statements are only MHO.
  • I had purchased a 3 yr. Freshmaps subscription when I had the 8100T. When I got the 7200T, Navigon painlessly transferred the subscription to it. No hassles.
    And when I bought my 7200T (upgraded from a 5100) they told me absolutely not, and there is no way they would (or could) do this. So I had to go buy another FreshMaps subscription.
  • papa 0 Points

When I bought my 7200T (upgraded from a 5100) they told me absolutely not, and there is no way they would (or could) do this. So I had to go buy another FreshMaps subscription.
    I had sent my 8100T back earlier. I bought the 7200T later AFTER I emailed them and RECEIVED the following reply:

"In order to transfer your FreshMaps code, please fax copies of your
    original Proof of Purchase (Receipt, including FreshMaps), your return
    receipt, and your ticket# along with your Name, Address, and
    Phone Number to 1-800-549-0284, attention NAVIGON Support.

Once we have received the requested information, we will contact you in 2-3
    business days in order to confirm the information and transfer your
    FreshMaps functionality."

This reply cinched the deal for me. I faxed them the info and called them a few days later to confirm they had received it. It was done while I was on the phone. They were very cooperative and the transfer was immediate.