This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

iFinder Explorer leaked from rain and died [Lowrance]

wasabi 0 Points
I bought a Lowrance iFinder Explorer 3 or 4 years ago. It worked fine up until recently. I was fishing and the iFinder was sitting on my boat deck and got rained on by a passing shower. It did not get submerged, just rained on.

A selling point for this unit was that it was IPX7 waterproof certified. My unit was in perfect condition but somehow it leaked and ruined the device. Lowrance was not going to help so I began to dissasemble my dead unit (I had nothing to lose). I believe the water came in from the rubber keypads even though (like the rest of the unit) it should have been waterproof.

Anybody know if this unit has had this kind of reputation?

Comments

• dhn 336 Points
    Submerge your unit in a bowl of dry (uncooked) rice for 2 days. Seriously.
  • wasabi 0 Points
    I already did that (seriously!) and it did not work.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    I read in GroundSpeak forum that lots of IPX7 units died after having been accidentally dropped into the water (not only Lowrance's). The problem is the seals, while tight when new, get less and less flexible with time.
    So the lesson is: don't trust anyone but yourself.
    Also so many people ask for one-that-does-all unit for car and trekking, it's a really, really bad idea.

* Try to put the dissambled unit in a corner of the house that's have a lot of sunshine for one or two weeks.
    * Try to it in a container with a few bags of dessicator (when buying electronics or cameras - or Japanese seaweed :) - I always save these packets).