This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Micro SD card

navman7 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I have the 7200t GPS and it has a 2 GB micro card. This card looks to be almost filled and I would like to upgrade to a 4GB micro card. My question is two fold. First what kind of mirco card do I buy? My card just says mirco card on it, It doesn't say HD or anything else. So what does the card have to say on it to work in my GPS. Next, when I do get a new card what is the step by step procedures to transfer everything from my 2GB card to a new 4GB card. :?

Comments

• Deluxe247 0 Points
    I can answer the first question :P

The card it uses is simply called a "Micro SD Card"

You can buy them EVERYWHERE! and 4gb should be pretty cheap :D

Here is an example off BestBuy's website...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9226964&st=4gb+micro+SD&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1218062423803

However please note that you can get them cheaper off Ebay or electronic websites such as Tigerdirect.com, Newegg.com, or JR.com

Hope that helps :D
  • ... Next, when I do get a new card what is the step by step procedures to transfer everything from my 2GB card to a new 4GB card. :?

All you need to do is go into Fresh, create a backup of your existing card, remove the card, put in the new larger one, and do a "Restore" from the backup you created. Or, you can go to Windows explorer, find the backup, and copy and paste it to your new card (which is what I did on my 8100t when I went from a 4GB to an 8GB card). Should be no trouble.

Note: just be sure if you do the "copy/paste" method, you open the backup file first, then copy all the folders and files. If you just copy the whole file, the Windows CE program on your device won't be able to find the run files (because they will be "inside" the backup file - hope this makes sense!) :)
  • navman7 0 Points
    So it doesn't matter if the card says HD?
  • navman7 0 Points
    Thanks ThunderLizard for the info it really helps.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points

So it doesn't matter if the card says HD?
    By chance did you mean HC? I can only imagine HD would refer to High Definition, and I don’t see how that would relate to an SD card, :?

HC on the other hand refers to High Capacity. Any SD card greater than or equal to 4GB is HC. This is because a different format (file system) is used on the card.

Can you post a link to the 4 GB micro SD card you want to buy? I can look at it and easily tell you if it will work. :P
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Also, I’m just curious. Why is it you want to upgrade to a 4 GB card exactly? Will you be loading additional maps? Even if your current card is nearly filled up, I don’t see it becoming completely full unless you added hundreds of POI.
  • navman7 0 Points
    Deluxe247, Sorry about that, I did mean HC. I'll put the link at the bottom. Why I'm thinking about getting a 4GB is because my 2GB only has 57.65MB left and I only updated my GPS twice. I don't think I'll have enough room on the card for many more map updates. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300284169236 :)
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Yup :P

That card looks like it would do just fine :D
  • Deluxe247, Sorry about that, I did mean HC. I'll put the link at the bottom. Why I'm thinking about getting a 4GB is because my 2GB only has 57.65MB left and I only updated my GPS twice. I don't think I'll have enough room on the card for many more map updates. Thanks

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300284169236 :)
    Don't new map updates just overwrite the one that you currently have? If that's the case, you still wouldn't fill up your 2gb card.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Don't new map updates just overwrite the one that you currently have? If that's the case, you still wouldn't fill up your 2gb card.
    I think when you update your device, more information is added overall. Of course all the old information (Maps etc...) would be erased, but newer maps would replace the old. In addition to maps, more POIs could be added, and maybe even various other things. So let’s say all the current information on the 2 GB card takes up 1990MB. If a newer update adds a new feature (which uses additional space) more memory would be needed. :idea:

Hope that clears things up
    :P
  • spendleb 0 Points
    Good info here guys, I need to purchase a 4GB card so I can get the new update from the 7210 to the 7310 spec.
  • navman7 0 Points
    Thank you guys for all the help.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Thank you guys for all the help.
    No problem at all :D
  • aaronwt 0 Points
    Amazon has the 4GB micro SDHC cards for under $11. I bought one a couple of weeks ago and it's been working fine in my 7200T.
  • spendleb 0 Points
    Just bought a 4GB card and added it to my device, thought it was just a case of then opening up Fresh and doing a restore but it just keeps telling me that 'No Navigon Software found', is the only option to use a card reader and copy all the files that way??? (I don't have one..)
  • Just bought a 4GB card and added it to my device, thought it was just a case of then opening up Fresh and doing a restore but it just keeps telling me that 'No Navigon Software found', is the only option to use a card reader and copy all the files that way??? (I don't have one..)
    When you connect the 7200t to your PC, you should "see" the card as a separate drive (like "F" or "G" depending on what devices you already have on your PC).

From there you should be able to take the files from your last backup and drag and drop them to the new card.

I think that will do it.
    Note: you will have to copy at the the level that shows the Navigon and Phonelink folders, and the "autorunce.exe" app, if memory serves me correct. Good luck! :)
  • spendleb 0 Points
    Just bought a 4GB card and added it to my device, thought it was just a case of then opening up Fresh and doing a restore but it just keeps telling me that 'No Navigon Software found', is the only option to use a card reader and copy all the files that way??? (I don't have one..)

When you connect the 7200t to your PC, you should "see" the card as a separate drive (like "F" or "G" depending on what devices you already have on your PC).

From there you should be able to take the files from your last backup and drag and drop them to the new card.

I think that will do it.
    Note: you will have to copy at the the level that shows the Navigon and Phonelink folders, and the "autorunce.exe" app, if memory serves me correct. Good luck! :)
    Brilliant, worked a treat although my 'backup' must have been old as I lost all my settings and favourites but not too many anyway so I can easily add them again. Now just need Navigon to reply to my emails so I can finally update to the 7310 spec!!
  • I, too, have a Navigon 7200T and get a message that I don't have enough space when I try to download the latest map. Navigon will not answer my e-mails asking for more information. I assume that I need a large micro card, so I just bought a Sandisk Microsdhc 4 GB card at Radio Shack to replace the 2 GB Sandisk sd card that came with the device. The salesman assured me the new card would work in my Navigon. But when I turn on the 7200T, I get a message that "Navigon software cannot be started." When I try to download my backup copy of the original card's contents to my H drive where my device is located, I get a message saying that's impossible. Same thing when I try to download software from Navigon Freshmaps.

It's not clear to me from previous posts if an HC chip will work. If it can work, does it have to be formatted? If so, how do I do that?

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.
  • spendleb 0 Points
    I, too, have a Navigon 7200T and get a message that I don't have enough space when I try to download the latest map. Navigon will not answer my e-mails asking for more information. I assume that I need a large micro card, so I just bought a Sandisk Microsdhc 4 GB card at Radio Shack to replace the 2 GB Sandisk sd card that came with the device. The salesman assured me the new card would work in my Navigon. But when I turn on the 7200T, I get a message that "Navigon software cannot be started." When I try to download my backup copy of the original card's contents to my H drive where my device is located, I get a message saying that's impossible. Same thing when I try to download software from Navigon Freshmaps.

It's not clear to me from previous posts if an HC chip will work. If it can work, does it have to be formatted? If so, how do I do that?

I'd appreciate any guidance.

Thanks.
    Sure mine is a HC card, will check tonight as I didn't need to format it.