This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

7200T or 8100T??

WizeGuyDezignz 5 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Hi guys, I am in a little bit of a pickle now. I just received my new (not refurbished) 7200T from Amazon on Monday. I paid $209 for it. In short, I absolutely love the device, and it does everything that I need it to do. Even bluetooth has been working flawlessly with my phone.

Fast forward to today and Amazon is selling refurbished 8100T's for $230 and some change, only about $20 more than what I paid for the 7200T. With that being said, other than screen size and the 3-D terrain, is the 8100T that much different than the 7200T? Are performance and features (other than the couple mentioned) the same? Cnet gave the 7200T a better score for some reason. They said the 8100T was slow in performance. Is this true?

I am still leaning towards keeping my 7200T but wanted some advice from you all here to aid in my decision if possible. The few reasons I am tempted to keep the 7200T are I prefer black casing over silver, I like the smaller screen size and I preferred new over refurbished. I'm also sort of in a if it ain't broke, don't fix it situation since my 7200T is doing everything I want it to right now.

However, the 3-D terrain does look pretty cool, and is the POI database on the 8100T much larger than the 7200T? I'm kind of on the fence and would appreciate any guidance you can offer. Thanks!

Comments

• Tim 1465 Points
    One of the other differences is the mount. The 8100 comes with a very large arm, fixed, active mount. I really don't like it compared to the 7200 mount. The additional screen size doesn't do anything for me, and neither does the 3D view... overall I prefer the 7200.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    I’m in the SAME boat as you.

I ordered my NEW 7200T ($210 GREAT DEAL!!!!) on July 2nd (Scheduled to come in on Friday) but then, last night, I though hmmm...I wonder if there are refurbished 8100Ts??? Because the cheapest 8100 I could find as around $330 and I did not want to spend that much. (Poor college student :P ) So...as luck would have it, Amazon has refurbished 8100Ts for $230 (I never noticed them in the first place because there is no image for the product)!!!!! Which is a SPECTACULAR DEAL!! So I immediately bought that one also! I called J&R just a few minutes ago (where I purchased the 7200T) to cancel the order (I simply have to refuse the package once it arrived).

So I would definitely go with the 8100T! I just LOOOVE the 3D Terrain feature! Even if it is refurbished, does not mean it will break on you in a couple months. :P

But…in the end…Both the 7200T for $210 and the 8100T for $230 are amazing deals!

If you don’t care too much for the 3D terrain eye candy, (I very much care for it :P ) more POI, slightly larger screen, and aluminum brushed housing, go for the 7200T.

Hope that helps :D

OH, and regards to
    Are performance and features (other than the couple mentioned) the same? Cnet gave the 7200T a better score for some reason. They said the 8100T was slow in performance. Is this true
    I was asking my self the EXACT same question! Both devices SHOULD be similar in performance… The 7200T has a 600Mhz processor while the 8100T has a 533Mhz (But also a DEDICATED 3D processing unit!) Now, the 7200T may be able to process raw data slightly quicker (Routs, menus etc.) due to the very slightly more powerful processor, but while actually navigating, both units should be the same. Another detail to take note of is that since the 8100T has a somewhat larger screen, it takes just a tiny bit more graphics processing (and CPU) power to run and the smaller screen size. For example, if you hook up a 15in monitor to you computer, less processing power is needed than say a 24in monitor. Thus the computer may load games and various other activities quicker…

So, after all that analysis, I’m still not quite sure why the reviews are so different between the 7200T and 8100T. (7200 supposedly loads fast and is very sensitive to touch while the 8100 is just the opposite…)

But…I will find out soon enough. I got 1 day shipping on Amazon for $3.99 so I will have the 8100T tomorrow :D
  • ...Now, the 7200T may be able to process raw data slightly quicker (Routs, menus etc.) due to the very slightly more powerful processor,
    I had both units and in my experience, the 8100t calcs routes more quickly. Despite the slight difference in processor speed, I believe architecture is equally as important in calc speed. 8100t uses a Samsung, 7200t uses a Centrality processor that's also busy handling screen redraws (the 8100t has a separate graphics processor). That may be the difference that I see. Also, regarding the difference in screen size, both units are 480x272 resolution = same pixel count, so it doesn't take any more horsepower to draw the larger screen (unless you're in Terrain mode), it's just larger (like pulling a video projector away from the screen a bit more).

One thing I can say is that when I mount or remove the 8100t, I don't have to fiddle with the cord, since it's attached to the mount (a nice feature) HOWEVER...the mount does get a little slack when it gets hot and tends to sag a bit at the suction cup. It never comes loose, but it does droop down some. Not enough to bother me though.

Regarding screen sensitivity, I sent my 7200t back because it had screen touch issues (and lag). The 8100t has worked great. Keep in mind, this is just my personal experience - others may have had similar or different experiences.

Good luck with whatever you choose! I know you'll be happy either way. :)
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    both units are 480x272 resolution
    Ahhh, I did not think both units would have the same resolution :shock:

Thats kinda strange actually...Why would Navigon not slightly increase the screen resolution on their flagship model...? Especially if it had a LARGER screen...Its basically just stretching the pre-existing screen a little. :?
  • both units are 480x272 resolution

Ahhh, I did not think both units would have the same resolution :shock:

Thats kinda strange actually...Why would Navigon not slightly increase the screen resolution on their flagship model...? Especially if it had a LARGER screen...Its basically just stretching the pre-existing screen a little. :?
    I understand your point, but check out the specs...

http://www.provantage.com/navigon-10000340~7NAVG00P.htm

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16858233011

In short, you don't see any more area or data on the screen, it's just larger. Like going from a 19" TV to a 21"TV. Same aspect, same resolution, just larger screen. Make more sense now? :wink:
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Yes haha :P I understand everything.

I just didn't know the resolutions were the same.
  • papa 0 Points
    I am tempted to keep the 7200T are I prefer black casing over silver, I like the smaller screen size and I preferred new over refurbished.
    Plus the 7200T is lighter and easier to fit in your shirt pocket.
  • egale 0 Points
    The 7200 put a lot of data on the screen with tiny fonts. Unless your eyesight is very good, you will have a hard time reading it all. I found the fonts so small it took me a few seconds to focus well enough to view. It doesn't sound like much but it was too long to take your eyes away from the road.

Don't know how much easier the larger screen of the 8100 would be to see.