This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 8100T (Factory Refurbished) $229.99! New 7200T $210!

Deluxe247 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I just thought I would throw this out there for anyone looking for a GREAT deal :D

Just a couple days ago I was looking for an 8100 for cheaper than $330 but could not find until last night. I actually ended up purchasing a 7200T for $210 (Which is also a REALLY good deal) but it has not come in the mail yet…So I will just have to refuse the package once it arrives. Anyways…If you type in “Navigon 8100T” on Amazon, multiple things will pop up. The reason I never saw the refurbished 8100T in the first place is because it has no image…So I ended up over looking it.

You really can’t beat that price. 3D Terrain, MILLIONS of POI, 4.8in ultra wide screen, advanced 3D graphics accelerator and 533Mhz CPU, all add up to one FANTASTIC device! Yes…It’s refurbished…but that’s not necessarily a bad thing. I would say it’s JUST as good as a new GPS, the ONLY downfall is it only has 3 months of warranty instead of 12.

If you’re afraid of buying a refurbished product, there is always the 7200T for $210 NEW off J&R.com

Hope this sparks some interest : P

Comments

• I'll go with the 7200T.

There's another thread on here that says the 8100T has a separate graphics processer, whereas the 7200 does not.

That makes some sense, because the major difference in features that I can see is the 7200 has "Landmark View 3D" (the 8100 does not), and the 8100 has "Panorama View 3D" (7200 does not). To summarize that, the 7200 has 3D-ish views of prominent buildings, and the 8100 has 3D representations of the terrain. And it probably is more compute intensive to render the earth's surface in 3D that it is to show a few rectangles from a 3D perspective.

For where and how frequently I drive, I'm not convinced 3D earth surface representations make for easier navigation vs. the prominent building representations. I think the buildings will work better for me when driving. That Panorama 3D View does score high in the cool features aspect, though.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Well...I got my 8100T in the mail today...and I must say, I’m disappointed…

The NUMBER ONE reason I purchased a Navigon is because I THOUGHT the maps loaded SMOOTHLY! If you watch the product previews on YouTube made by Navigon, the maps load perfectly smoothly, and when you turn onto a street, the maps effortlessly turn with you. However this 8100T is the SAME as my old Magellan 3100...The maps load every 1 sec. VERY jerky...and when I turn onto a new street, the map reloads only 3 times before it is perfectly lines up with the way I’m going...

Is there something wrong? Should the maps be loading much faster like on the videos on YouTube???? I counted, and the maps reload exactly every 1 sec… :?

On the other hand, it’s a beautiful GPS. Built like a block of steel! The screen is HUGE and also very responsive. The 3D terrain is AMAZING :D I even really like the arm the GPS attaches to! It's quite strong! I must say though, it’s difficult to navigate through the menus...I feel almost like I need a 2nd GPS just for that. :?
    Also, the GPS did NOT come with the code to activate the Zagat or Traffic features!!! So I’m waiting to Navigon customer support to respond to my message asking about how to activate those features.

All you other 8100T owners! Do your maps load ever 1 sec???
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Does anyone know how to just view the map on the Navigon GPSs? My Magellan had the option to just "view map" but I can’t figure out how to just view the map on the 8100T. Now when I say view map, I want to be able to use the GPS (Drive around with it on) as I’m driving. I'm trying to figure out if there is a way to get to the maps without entering an address.

The only way I have found so far is to enter an address I’m already at (So it immediately says I’m already there, and just shows the normal map) and I can drive around with it working.

Anyone know? :?
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Well, after looking at more videos just now (Of the 7310) I noticed its almost just as jerky...However when the GPS automatically zoomed out (For whatever reason...Because of driving faster maybe) it became perfectly smooth...? Which makes no sense. When zoomed all the way in, the GPS is not having to render as many 3D objects. Zoomed all the way out, it has to render MANY more things. (or so it seems) Zoomed in it could still be rendering all the same stuff (even off screen) and its more jerky only because...well, I'm not sure how to explain this...but I will make an attempt... Lets say the GPS sends and receives one signal every second and you are moving at 20ft a sec. If you are zoomed all the way in, this will seem very jerky. (but it seems Navigon could just write a software program that filled in the blanks automatically) However if you zoom way out, it will look very smooth. That 20 feet is tiny.

Here is a visual example

Let’s say this is zoomed in...

I______I______I______I______I______I (This will look very jerky if you move from each “I” to the next.

Let’s say this is zoomed out…

I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I_I (Moving across these will look Much smoother)

Hope yall understand what I’m attempting to say hehe :? Its past 2am and I’m fairly half asleep :P
  • papa 0 Points
    the GPS did NOT come with the code to activate the Zagat or Traffic features
    Both the traffic and Zagat should work right out of the box. The maps on my 7200T load very smoothly, no "jerky" movements.
  • Deluxe, sorry to hear you are having problems with the 8100T. Unfortunately the jerky maps are what made me hold on to my 7200T and not jump at the refurbished 8100T. From the reviews I read, I have seen that many people say the 8100T is fairly slow.

As far as showing the map....from the main menu hit "Options" and then hit "Show Map". That should do it. It takes one extra step compared to most GPS's, but I didn't see this as a huge issue.

I know you love Terrain View, but you should give the 7200T a shot. The navigation and maps run silky smooth and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. It will ultimately come down to what you want out of your GPS, but if the jerky maps are bothering you a lot, the 7200T will solve that issue for you. Good luck!
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Deluxe, sorry to hear you are having problems with the 8100T. Unfortunately the jerky maps are what made me hold on to my 7200T and not jump at the refurbished 8100T. From the reviews I read, I have seen that many people say the 8100T is fairly slow.

As far as showing the map....from the main menu hit "Options" and then hit "Show Map". That should do it. It takes one extra step compared to most GPS's, but I didn't see this as a huge issue.

I know you love Terrain View, but you should give the 7200T a shot. The navigation and maps run silky smooth and I haven't had a single problem with it yet. It will ultimately come down to what you want out of your GPS, but if the jerky maps are bothering you a lot, the 7200T will solve that issue for you. Good luck!
    Thanks for letting me know about the "show map" feature haha! I knew you HAD to be able to view the map SOME HOW! :P

And regards to the jerky maps, I'm actually going to go ahead and accept the 7200 in the mail today (should be coming in the next hour) and test the two side by side. Whichever one performs the worst, I'm sending back.

Thanks so much for giving your opinion! I really appreciate it :D
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    the GPS did NOT come with the code to activate the Zagat or Traffic features

Both the traffic and Zagat should work right out of the box. The maps on my 7200T load very smoothly, no "jerky" movements.
    Well, on the MyNavigon website, under "service activation" it says traffic and Zagat have not been activated. :? Freshmaps has been activated, but not the other two.

Here are the directions.

"Enter your Activation Key here. This can be found on the back of your Service Accessory Card. If NAVIGON FreshMaps was included in your purchase the Activation Key can be found on the NAVIGON FreshMaps Sticker inside your product box (it consists of three blocks of five characters). Click on Help for additional guidance should you need it."

So....I'm confused by this. :?
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Ahhhhh....

After searching the My Navigon page, I found this...

"* Real-Time Traffic for Life activation is not necessary for the NAVIGON 8100T, 7200T, 7100, 5100, 5100 max and 2200T. ZAGAT Survey Ratings and Reviews activation is not necessary for the NAVIGON 8100T, 7200T, 7100 and 5100. N100 does not allow activation of service accessories."

So I guess you don't need to activate these services... :shock: How confusing...

I guess the following is only for European users.

"
    traffic_________activate now
    zagat_________activate now
    freshmap______activated

"
  • Deluxe247 0 Points

Well, I just received the 7200T and compared it with the 8100T side by side. At first, the 7200T was loading "silky smooth" as you said, but a couple minutes later, it was the same story as the 8100T...The maps began loading at the EXACT same rate as the 8100T. Both GPSs when side by side were loading at very similar times. :? And I remember when I first used the 8100T (out of box) it was really smooth also.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE!!!!!:o Why would the map load rate decrease!!! No BOTH the 7200T AND 8100T??????? I continued to drive around for about 10 min with BOTH GPSs side by side, and there was NO change...Both devices continued to load at the same SLOOOW rate... :(

Anyone know why? :?: :?: :(
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    I just sent this message into Navigon customer support.

Hopefully they will reply soon :?

Hello.

I have had my Navigon 8100T for 2 days now and had a question about one thing.

ALL the user reviews say the maps are "smooth" not "jerky." Even during the product videos/demos online, the maps load perfectly smooth. When I turned my device on for the first time, the maps were EXTREMELY smooth for about the first 2 minutes of use. After that, the maps began loading about every .5 – 1.0 second... VERY JERKY! The same as my old Magellan 3100... And what’s even stranger, I got a 7200T in the mail today as well (long story...) and the EXACT SAME thing happened. The maps for the first couple minutes loaded perfectly…But soon after, it was the same as the 8100T (loading slowly). I even ran them both at the same time right next to each other and they were both refreshing ever .5 - 1.0 sec.

Each GPS says it is getting signal from 9 satellites.

Is the GPS broken? Why are the maps not loading smoothly like everyone else’s does (and like your product demos)? Should I return the 8100T back to Amazon and get another device?

Thanks.

Does anyone else know why this may be happening? :shock:
  • The maps scroll MUCH smoother when you've plotted a route rather than just driving around and viewing the map in free roam. Try plotting a route and see if that's better.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I was waiting for someone to mention that.

With no destination set, the map refresh rate is is even less than that of my nuvi 760. It's only with a set destination that the map refresh increases 4-fold, odd behavior IMO. But it is what it is.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    The maps scroll MUCH smoother when you've plotted a route rather than just driving around and viewing the map in free roam. Try plotting a route and see if that's better.

Ok, I will try doing that. Thanks for the info.

Do you by chance know why this is?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I haven't gone back to figuring out the why, tho I intended to. Just forgot about it I guess.

I do want to note a few things about the 7200. Screen taps are not registered consistently, sometimes not at all and other times delayed response of a few seconds. A reset seems to make it better for awhile. The menu structure is very confusing and not well-organized IMHO, and I'm not exactly a newbie with pnd's. It's definitely one of the more difficult devices I've used. Signal reception/sensitivity is not as strong as many other devices, evidenced by my current elevation being shown as -67 feet and only 6 sats locked when my TT740 shows 8 and my nuvi 760 between 8 and 9. More prone to multi-path error than my other current pnd's, more than once placing me on a parallel street 100 yards away when first getting a fix. Time to fix can also be extremely long, commonly 3 minutes or more, if restarting from a totally off state (holding the power button down for around 10 seconds) or after a reset. But as others have noted, the screen is beautiful with silky smooth refresh rates, better than any Garmin or TomTom I've used. Can't say for sure that it's better than the HP310 since I hadn't used one since last year, but it sure feels like it. Maps are the most detailed I've ever seen on a highway use GPS, even including the hi-end (?) factory system in my Infiniti. I had no idea that Navteq had that level of detail available before I saw them in action on the Navigon. Others like Garmin and Magellan have just chosen not to use it. But with so many short-comings, I just can't put it in the same league as the best from Garmin and TomTom. My expectations for an effective navigation device require that it can get me from A to B clearly and effectively with as little interaction with the device as possible and a minimum of distraction from my primary responsibility of safe driving. With it's minuscule fonts making street names also impossible to see, unresponsive screen taps and overly involved and disorganized functions menu, it just isn't high on my recommended list.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    Thanks, I really appreciate all that information. :D
  • The maps scroll MUCH smoother when you've plotted a route rather than just driving around and viewing the map in free roam. Try plotting a route and see if that's better.

I don't know for certain why they did this, but I guessed in a previous post that it might have been done to save battery life. That is, if you're using the unit on batteries and just driving around, the lesser refresh rate *should* save on battery life. But once you actually plot a route, the unit refreshes much faster so it can keep a more accurate picture of where you are. The more times the screen refreshes, the more battery you're going to use, but if you've plotted a route chances are you'd want the best possible picture of where you're going.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    The maps scroll MUCH smoother when you've plotted a route rather than just driving around and viewing the map in free roam. Try plotting a route and see if that's better.

I don't know for certain why they did this, but I guessed in a previous post that it might have been done to save battery life. That is, if you're using the unit on batteries and just driving around, the lesser refresh rate *should* save on battery life. But once you actually plot a route, the unit refreshes much faster so it can keep a more accurate picture of where you are. The more times the screen refreshes, the more battery you're going to use, but if you've plotted a route chances are you'd want the best possible picture of where you're going.
    Yes. That does make sense, but it’s always plugged in. The battery icon on the GPS shows its charging (plus it’s plugged in) So again, that can’t be the problem. I have yet to use it in the last 24 hours because I have only made short trips around my neighborhood (for example to the grocery store) and it never once got a Satellite lock… :shock: I will actually be leaving soon on a longer car ride, so I will test it then.

Thanks for the reply. :P
  • dnajar 0 Points
    I love my 8100T and cannot imagine a feature needed that it is missing. My unit is blazing fast (I replaced their SDHC card with an 8GB Sandisk).

My only problem is with the Bluetooth. It actually works beautifully and clearly but my LG phone has some synching problems. I have the address book with no names and then have to reset the unit after a call to get the Navigon voice back. This is a known issue and will obviously not be resolved now.

I live in NYC area and the traffic alerts are PHENOMENAL throughout NYC and NJ.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    My unit is blazing fast (I replaced their SDHC card with an 8GB Sandisk).
    Does putting a faster SD card in the unit allow it to load faster? Does it help at all? :o
  • Yes. That does make sense, but it’s always plugged in. The battery icon on the GPS shows its charging (plus it’s plugged in) So again, that can’t be the problem. I have yet to use it in the last 24 hours because I have only made short trips around my neighborhood (for example to the grocery store) and it never once got a Satellite lock… :shock: I will actually be leaving soon on a longer car ride, so I will test it then.

I realize in your case (mine too) that it's always plugged in, but my "guess" was that the software was written with battery use in mind. I don't think the unit is programmed to change its behavior based on whether it's on battery or plug power. So regardless of whether or not it's plugged in, the programmers chose a refresh rate to maximize battery life. Again, it's just a guess on my part.
  • Deluxe247 0 Points
    With no destination set, the map refresh rate is is even less than that of my nuvi 760. It's only with a set destination that the map refresh increases 4-fold, odd behavior IMO. But it is what it is.
    This is true! I have been SO busy with work and school I just have not been able to reply...and actually...I need to stop here and get back to Business Calculus :?
  • Mailman 0 Points
    the reason why it's smoother when you're navigating to a specified address instead of just roaming around wwatching the map, is because whenever you are going somewhere specified the screen actually animates your movements because it assumes that you are going to stay on the route it suggested. so it's not really updating the GPS information about your location faster, it's just guessing based on the assumption that you won't drive off the route. when you have no route, the GPS cannot assume anything because it doesn't know hwere you're going, so i cannot predict your movements and thus it cannot animate the screen, only update it...
  • FAFA 0 Points
    I'd go for, and did, the 8100. Reason is it can do all 3 functions(landmark 3d) with a software update. The 7200 cannot do 3d panorama I doubt. I don't find much interest in the 3d pano anyway even with hills around here, until they update it to have street names along with landmarks for pano.

While they left out a lot on the 8100, the 8310 makes up for it(click POI among others) and I'm sure they're basically the same unit. Since users have hacked the 7200 to a 7300 - click POI and voice TMC among other things, the same can be said/done for the 8100 to 8310.

Plus as mentioned above with 3d pano, the GPU it has most likely will be an upgrade path that the 7200 can't stroll down for better map grahpics/detail. Just look at Audi using Nvidia GPU in the 3G MMI for he 3d buildings and other stuff.

Plus the price for a refurb at $200-230 is only 30 more than a new 7200.