This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Navigon 7100

Travelingon 0 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
I didn't see this new GPS unit listed for discussion on this topic. Is anyone using and reviewing this GPS unit?

Comments

• Tim 1480 Points
    There are dozens and dozens of brands out there, and I don't really want to create a forum for all of them since it will make navigating the forums difficult. But I do have the Navigon 7100 coming in the mail.
  • Hi Tim,
    Looking forward to your review on the Navigon 7100!
  • Hi Tim,
    I also wanted to add that I don't expect a "new forum" devoted to the Navigon GPS units. I posted in the "other GPS Hardware" topic of discussions thinking that was the right spot to ask about any reviews on this newer GPS from Navigon. Navigon already has other GPS units as well. Since this is the newest from that company I thought there might be some new owners here on this forum doing some comparisons. Thanks, and I look forward to any comments posted here in this topic of subjects.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I've got the 7100 in my hands. Outside of a typical review, is there anything specific you are looking to know?
  • My TT 720 did some pretty bad things this weekend! Have you had the 7100 long enough to shed some basic opinions? My 30 days with the 720 is getting close so if I am going to jump ship, I have to do it soon.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I've only taken it out of the box and powered it up, but I'll be working on it for the next few days.
  • There are my observations. I woudl be interested if you would confirm:

Pros:
    1) Nice looking
    2) good sound quality
    3) reality view is nice
    4) lifetime traffic is a good value

Cons:
    1) Very tight amount of overhead on memory card. I am worried about software fixes fitting. I think some fixes are going to be needed very quickly.
    2) long time to cold start and acquire
    3) Text to speech is not working on most streets. I can't figure out the reason for this.
    4) Battery life? Mine is poor for competing handheld gps (70 to 90 minutes).
    5) The suggested routes are often poor compared to my old Tomtom
    6) Interest points are hard to find.

Comparative:
    Free traffic is a draw but traffic system used is nowhere near as timely or comprehensive as MSNBC traffic on many systems. Ran a test with a friend's 680 and its traffic system was much better than Navigon.

Strange routing is maddening but I think they can fix this and hope they do in next couple of months with software fixes.

Lots to like but a few big problems. They can be fixed with software, If they fix them soon I would recommend it. If not I would go with a proven company.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    At long last, my Review of the NAVIGON 7100.
  • mjoshi 0 Points
    How is 7100 compared to Mio C720t ? The feature that appeals me most on c720t is the ability to take picture and geotag it and save it as favoraite. Also how good is Navigon when it comes to providing updates ? Thanks for your detailed review, to be honest I'm not too impresed with this device based on your review but on other places I've seen users talking too good about it. How will you rate this device against c720t ?
  • Tim 1480 Points
    The NAVIGON doesn't include any camera, so if that is a feature you are looking for, you won't find it there.
  • mjoshi 0 Points
    I know Navigon 7100 doesnot include camera but what do you think comparatively between c720t and 7100 which one is better purely from data and navigation point of view.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    I haven't spent enough time with the c720t yet to make a complete evaluation.