This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

TomTom iPhone App

Tim 1481 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
The TomTom iPhone App for the iPhone is real!

Comments

• Boyd 1985 Points
    Info just appeared on TomTom's site: http://iphone.tomtom.com/
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've seen the subdomain there before... but I just get redirected to the homepage.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Not much info there, just the YouTube video which looks like it was made without an actual working copy of the software available...
  • Tim 1481 Points

• Tim 1481 Points

• gatorguy 326 Points
    Tim, I was advised that TTS would not be a feature, but now I have a little question concerning the source. Do you know for certain one way or the other? It also looks like it might be a fairly expensive solution. Since the dock also includes a gps receiver, I wouldn't be shocked to see the hardware part in the $100+ range and monthly fees adding another $80+ a year, with additional apps/fees for traffic and such. Of course a great idea would be to include a years worth of basic use with the hardware purchase. They'll make it up selling other services. Maybe they'll surprise us and come in on the cheap side.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    edited June 2009
    I think they said it will have TTS.

As to price... I think it is premature to make any judgments about price since the price hasn't been disclosed. But aside from any "services" I don't expect there to be any monthly subscription fees for the app. The Apple App store doesn't allow that type of model-- just one time purchases.

But if you want my guess... here it is. And I haven't thought this through much so I reserve the right to change my mind. :)

Car Kit: (presumably includes mount, speaker/audio out system, gps chip)... I'm thinking $99.

TomTom App: $49.

Map Updates: essentially irrelevant... when you want a new map you purchase a new version of the app. So if you purchased one "map update" (new app) per year you would essentially pay $49.

Again, this is just a very pre-mature guess on how they might implement it.

By the way... Navigon just announced an iPhone app too.
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Will the maps be downloaded directly to the phone, or installed through iTunes?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I thought I had read that the "one-time purchase" model had been or will be changed with the OS3 release, allowing for subscriptions. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

As for Navigon announcing one also (the first of many), TT's hardware solution should give them a leg up, performance-wise, especially on signal lock and acquisition. Hopefully they don't price themselves out of consideration for the mainstream users.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    Will the maps be downloaded directly to the phone, or installed through iTunes?
    I don't know with certainty, but I expect them to be installed on the device through iTunes.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Car Kit: (presumably includes mount, speaker/audio out system, gps chip)
    Ok, someone enlighten me as I clearly have no understanding. I thought that the phone already included a GPS chip. If I recall, you can already see where you are on it, you just can't navigate. My Nokia also has a chip and Nokia Maps, but even though it is an unlocked phone, it still will only work through the carrier. Are these imbedded chips only compatible with the phone signal, requiring an external chip for regular (read AT&T free) navigation?
  • Tim 1481 Points
    The iPhone does already include a GPS chip. The secondary chip in the car kit will presumably get a better, faster signal. My understanding (which could be wrong) is that the app will still work without it... perhaps just not as well.

My iPhone 3G takes a few minutes to get a GPS signal, so this would help with that. Also, if my phone doesn't have a cellular signal it takes quite a bit longer for the low-power GPS chip inside to lock on. So the GPS chip in the car kit will assist in situations like that.
  • patruns 10 Points
    Thanks for clarifying Tim. Any idea how to force a Nokia to just use the chip and not attempt to connect to the carrier? With no data plan it can get very expensive..............
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I'm not really familiar with your phone-- but possibly the network is required to load the maps over the air rather than not having a couple GB of maps stored internally?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Boyd, looks like Navigon is a sneaky little company. Putting up a Lite version for free is probably going to snag quite a few paying customers for the full app IMO.
  • mvl 191 Points
    edited June 2009
    Just to throw my hat in the lottery:

I think tomtom marketing will realize that iPhone owners are used to overpaying for subscriptions and hardware, and underpaying for software.

Also, tomtom mentioned that their most expensive PND component is the touchscreen. So without all the hardware costs, the software prices below seem reasonable.

My guesses:
    Application - $19.99 (lite version to respond to Navigon, perhaps regional 1-country map only, and no TTS)
    Application - $49.99 (full version, includes TTS and USA/CAN/MEX map)
    Mount - $129.99 (it does have an music FM transmitter, and you say it comes with a secondary more powerful GPS receiver) edit: seems like no FM on it, that stinks. It cost over $100 to professionally install an AUX in jack in a car
    Latest map guarantee - free (once per phone ESN number, regardless of re-buying the app)
    Map subscription - $49.99/year (same as PND users)
    Traffic subscription - $59.99/year (same as PLUS traffic, where Tomtom isn't paying the data bill)
  • dhn 336 Points
    The guys at pocketgpsworld who sell their safety camera subscriptions which are supposed to be much superior to those offered by TomTom are apparently almost ready to send their IPhone app to Apple for approval to make their subscriptions available on the phone.

No price quoted yet.
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I've updated the TomTom iPhone App article with some new information and new speculation.
  • Tim 1481 Points