This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Nuvi For iPhone (TomTom Just Announced Theirs)

boltjame 0 Points
edited November -1 in Smartphone Navigation
Love the idea of turn-by-turn GPS in my iPhone, hate the TomTom UI.

Anyone know if Garmin has any plans to get a product in the app store to go head-to-head with TomTom? We iPhone owners want to know.

BJ

Comments

• danp2000 0 Points
    I saw a note on Electronista.com that Navigon is bringing turn-by-turn GPS to the iPhone so Garmin can't be far behind.

Link to article . . .

http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/06/09/navigon.iphone.gps.app
  • Boyd 1985 Points
    Since Garmin has been busy trying to roll out the NuviPhone, I highly doubt they would want to handicap it by offering an iPhone app. But so far the NuviPhone has been little more than vaporware. After a couple years of promises we still don't have any firm date for a rollout in the US.

So who knows? But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for Nuvi on the iPhone at this point...
  • Tim 1481 Points
    I would doubt that Garmin will be building an iPhone app. Perhaps they will surprise me. With all of their investments into the Nuvifone project, the iPhone is a threat to their success. They will want to compete with the iPhone, not work with it.

I'd love to be wrong on this one. But it just doesn't seem to line up with Garmin's current initiatives.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    I don't see it happening in the near future either. Nothing much to base it on other than a gut-feeling and lack of any mention anywhere (and there almost always is some hint someplace). Perhaps down the line it wouldn't surprise me, assuming the current iPhone sticks around for quite awhile, but now IMO.
  • boltjame 0 Points
    Thanks guys. Disappointing, but we'll see.

BJ
  • My prediction is that the Nuvifone will flop (assuming its ever built!!) and then Garmin will scramble to create an app for the iPhone.
  • alanb 541 Points
    I think the Nuviphone success depends on what carriers Garmin partners with. Not everyone wants AT&T
  • Tim 1481 Points
    So far everything I've seen points to a GSM based phone-- which means AT&T and/or T-Mobile in the USA. Devices on display at shows also reportedly had AT&T SIM chips inside them.
  • alanb 541 Points
    If that is the case, then I agree with GadgetGuy2008. It will fail.
  • boltjame 0 Points
    If that is the case, then I agree with GadgetGuy2008. It will fail.
    My opinion:

It's already a failure and should be dropped immediately with Garmin instead focusing on making apps for the smartphones to come.

Hardware is not going to be the answer in the GPS future. You're either making the killer app for the __________ (enter smartphone name here) or you're out.

The Nuvi is the best UI, but TomTom will gobble up market share with their app. Garmin will blow everything they've built for the automotive consumer if they're late to the iPhone game. iPhone has a hi-res screen, has constant internet connectivity, has bluetooth, has a speaker and mic. There's no need for more hardware. Software is more profitable. I'd pay $79 for a well-featured Nuvi UI for my iPhone as opposed to $199 for another Nuvi. Garmin better not blow it. I hate TomTom's UI. Don't make me go there.

BJ
  • alokeprasad 102 Points
    I hope the TT and Navigon products for the iPhone uses the internet connectivity to its fullest.
  • I saw a note on Electronista.com that Navigon is bringing turn-by-turn GPS to the iPhone so Garmin can't be far behind.
    Garmin isn't the fastest in getting new stuff out the door.

Don Montalvo
    Coppell, TX