This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

1470 issues - radar det. interference and location saving

blico 0 Points
edited November -1 in Magellan Vehicle Forum
The 1470 is the first GPS that I've owned so I have no comparisons to others. I do have a problem when ever it is turned on it seems to interfere with my radar detector - the Ka band keeps beeping and attenuates the detector when it is being targeted -any thoughts or suggestions?

When trying to save current location that is on a route rather than a named street - it won't let me put in a number and saves the current location to the nearest town a few miles away. Maybe they all do that?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jack

Comments

• egale 0 Points
    Can't help with the radar detector issue but the 1470 doesn't allow you to save a location unless you have a street address. That is one of it's shortcomings.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    The 1470 is the first GPS that I've owned so I have no comparisons to others. I do have a problem when ever it is turned on it seems to interfere with my radar detector - the Ka band keeps beeping and attenuates the detector when it is being targeted -any thoughts or suggestions?

When trying to save current location that is on a route rather than a named street - it won't let me put in a number and saves the current location to the nearest town a few miles away. Maybe they all do that?

Appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks,

Jack
    I don't own a radar detector but I have asked Magellan about this for you already. I would say try to put your radar detector as far away from your GPS as possible. Possibly put your GPS near the corner of the windshield on the D/S and put the radar detector on the extreme opposite side on the P/S corner of the windshield and see if that helps.

Good Luck
  • blico 0 Points
    Thank both of you. I suspected that they were not solveable issues. The radar detector is quite a few years old and probably time for a new one.

Thanks again!
  • Can't help with the radar detector issue but the 1470 doesn't allow you to save a location unless you have a street address. That is one of it's shortcomings.
    I had a magellan 3140 for 2 years.

when I first bought it I read it had great features
    the Detour function if you use it and make a wrong turn in the detour route and it has to recalculate, it will forget about the detour route and route you back to the road you detoured from.

ability to exclude roads:
    you can only exclude one road and if that road is mention in more than one spot... well to bad for you!

the routing was strange, every time the highway you driving on and another highway pases over it it list that as a point to go straght.
    It will say: "stay on road for 5 miles then stay on road"
    meaning: don't get off at the next exit.

asside from it being very annoying if you are supposed to get off just after passing under hat next overpass it won't tell you that untill you pass under that over pass and you miss your turn.

The worst thing about the magellan is the India tech support the only thing they know is how to reset you unit... after that the only thing they know to say is return it to the factory.

the 1475t looks good on paper but take it from a previous magellan owner.
    WHAT YOU READ ISN'T WHAT YOU WILL GET !
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Magellan is a different company right now. They want your business and working hard to change to the better.
    The 3140 was back a few years when Shah investments owned it, and all they wish to do was to resell Magellan for a profit.
    Very different company so what you may find some issues with older Magellan units are not the case with the newer models.
    Tech support is nolonger out of India so there is another change, they have one in Florida USA.
  • Magellan is a different company right now. They want your business and working hard to change to the better.
    The 3140 was back a few years when Shah investments owned it, and all they wish to do was to resell Magellan for a profit.
    Very different company so what you may find some issues with older Magellan units are not the case with the newer models.
    Tech support is nolonger out of India so there is another change, they have one in Florida USA.
    Well my advise to anyone thinking about buying the new 1475T is save the receipt and all the packing so you can return it.
    make sure you use all it's functions and make sure they really work right.

this unit is being sold by BJ's and there is a $50.00 coupon in their latest monthly coupon book the total would be 229.99 after using the coupon.
    coupon is valid 06/24/09 to 7/31/09
    even with that sweet deal I will pass.

one function i found on my new 265wt is the ability to load in red light and speed camera locations which is a great thing to have and guess what
    IT ACTUALLY WORKS !

I don't think the 1475t has that.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    one function i found on my new 265wt is the ability to load in red light and speed camera locations which is a great thing to have and guess what
    IT ACTUALLY WORKS !

I don't think the 1475t has that.
    Each GPS manufacturers have their own little unique features that their competition does not offer.
    Magellan now have OneTouch, AAA TourBook features that is not found in the Garmin products.
    I would say Garmin is an excellent unit and they get a premium price for their excellent PND offering.

Magellan would be more like a Honda or Chevy, they are not as complete but their prices is affordable. Buying a Garmin is like buying a Mercedes, not everyone needs to drive a Mercedes.
    I guess if someone come on the Garmin forum and ask whey Garmin does not offer the AAA Tourbook or OneTouch feature, you might respond the same way.

Good luck with your 265WT Nuvi, it is a great unit. By the way, it is always smart to keep your receipts. I think the discount BJ is offering is fair since the traffic service is free and they are just asking a few dollars more for the 1475T that includes the traffic module.

Good Luck
  • Costco sels the 265wt with free lifetime traffic for $220.00 and their monthly coupon book has a $20.00 off coupon so you can get it for $200.00 plus tax.

I think that price is very reasonable.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    The Magellan 1475T is a brand new PND product, the Nuvi 265WT has been replaced by the new Nuvi 1350T.
    The 1475T have a very important feature that is not offered with the 265WT which is lane assist feature and multiple route sorting and optimization.

Again, you are talking bout a 2008/2009 Garmin GPS model that is close to end of life compare to a 2009/20010 Magellan model that is a brand new product offering.

I don't want you to think that I am saying the Garmin is a bad deal, it is not and Garmin PND is excellent.

What I am saying is maybe you don't have all your facts straight regarding the differences between the two comparison.

I can also tell you I own each model of Garmin and Magellan have to offer, so it is not hard for me to make comparison of each unit features and abilities compare to someone that may own only a few models.
  • viper 0 Points
    The Magellan 1475T is a brand new PND product, the Nuvi 265WT has been replaced by the new Nuvi 1350T.
    The 1475T have a very important feature that is not offered with the 265WT which is lane assist feature and multiple route sorting and optimization.

Again, you are talking bout a 2008/2009 Garmin GPS model that is close to end of life compare to a 2009/20010 Magellan model that is a brand new product offering.

I don't want you to think that I am saying the Garmin is a bad deal, it is not and Garmin PND is excellent.

What I am saying is maybe you don't have all your facts straight regarding the differences between the two comparison.

I can also tell you I own each model of Garmin and Magellan have to offer, so it is not hard for me to make comparison of each unit features and abilities compare to someone that may own only a few models.
    I may be a first time GPS buyer. I have only used a Garmin 550c Streetpilot back in 2007, and only for 12 days..and only for going from Point A to B, and B to A. It worked great.

I was going to get a 550c, when the 265wt came out. I think the 265wt has a lot to offer at its price point, I am interested in the Live Traffic feature (even though it's ad supported).
    I haven't bought it yet, because on the forum I read quite a few people are having "sound problems" with the 265wt. If I get that model, I will get it Costco, because they have a 90day, no questions asked return policy.

However, I have come across 3 additional models.

Garmin 765t ( which I heard some of them are turning bricks lately)
    Magellan Maestro 4370
    Magellan Roadmate 1475T

I saw my friend's Maestro 4370, and liked the map view it had, plus I liked how she could display various types of user-selected POIs right on the map . You could see "relatively" how far your little car is from the POI. I find the visual helpful. I believe the two Garmin models I mentioned do not have this feature.

Regardless, I am wondering how good these units are. I'd ask which one is better, but "better" is relative to one's needs/use. I like the idea of free live traffic, routing, and lane assist. Don't know how well they work though. Which one pulls in the satellite signal best, fastest, most accurate. I have also read how the 265wt has a difficult to use right angled power cord for the car, and higher Garmin models the power is connected into the mounting bracket. I wonder what Magellan does??

I am curious about other things too, Garmin vs Magellan, such as who has better tech support, will I get free map updates, if so, for how long, basic customer service type questions.

It seems every time I search under a new model, I learn about some intricacy of that model or brand that I wouldn't know unless I have bought it. I'd hate to buy "the wrong model", and be unable to return it, or only get store credit haha.

For example, someone told me in a post that Garmin displays City, State, but Magellan (model 1470) displays Town of XYZ, without listing the state on the screen. Like I said, little things you would never know unless you read on the forum, or end up buying the unit. I am also curious to see what an actual screenshot of the Mag1475T w/an advertisement looks like. I have seen the 265wt, and I can live with that.

I also read in the forum, that how Garmin units announce upcoming turns while driving is different then Magellan. Garmin units will say "Turn in 500 ft onto Smith Ave", I read then Magellan will only say "Turn onto Smith Ave", if that's true for all Magellan, then that wouldn't be helpful.

In short it just seems like there's a huge amount of variables to consider.
    If you own all the models, I'd appreciate your input.

THANK in advance! :D

Btw..what does PND mean in your above posts..I don't know what that is.
  • Ryobi 0 Points
    I've been researching GPS units for about a week. Tonight I ended up picking up the 1475T from BJ's for $229 after instant rebate. It has all the features I wanted and more. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, so I'll reserve my comments until I can use it for a day or 2.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Btw..what does PND mean in your above posts..I don't know what that is.
    PND = Portable Navigation Device or Personal Navigation Device
    MID = Mobile Internet Device or Media Internet Device
    The next generation of GPS will be mostly in these devices like an iPhone like device with Internet capabilities.