How to Convert GPS Coordinates?

Weaklink 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Discussions
Google maps gives the following coordinates:

or

35 51' 3.10"
-78 53' 9.78"

but my Garmin 60CSx waypoint screen is in a differnet format (I auto-sent to my GPS from Google):

35 51.052
78 53.163

How would I manually convert the Google coordinates to the format required to manually enter a waypoint? I don't understand the relationship of the last three digits.

I'm sure this is simple, but I'm a dummy.

Thanks

Comments

• Tim 1291 Points
    See this thread: Coordinate Conversion. Note that you can also change the coordinate format on your device to match the format you were given.
  • Weaklink 0 Points
    cool, thanks, I just changed my GPS settings. duh....
  • There are two other answers to the question for those of us who cannot change the format in our GPSs:

1) The latest free versions of Google Earth can change coordinate styles as well to match your GPS. For example, in GE version 5, go to Tools > Options and click on the 3D tab. In the Show Lat/Long section there are 4 radio buttons that allow you to display the coordinates in
    a) Decimal degrees.
    b) Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.
    c) Degrees, decimal minutes.
    d) Universal Transverse Mercator.

2) If you truly want the coordinate conversions there are plenty of them out on the net. But there are a couple simple rules that if you remember, are not difficult to master when no internet connection is available. Namely, minutes, in multiples of 60 (60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute), get converted to a decimal number which is based on a multiple of 10 or 100. It's the same type of conversion as saying that a movie lasts two hours and 10 minutes (2:10) or 130 (130) minutes long. Or 15 minutes is a quarter of an hour (25% or .25). Not exactly the same but you get the idea.

In all examples, use the normal rounding rules. Also, the minus sign is assumed in front of the Longitude number.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Convert From: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
    Convert To: Degrees, Decimal Degrees
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Looking at the example below, for Latitude, start with the exact same degrees (37°) and whole number minutes (25), then take the seconds and divide by 60 (19.82 / 60 = .330). For Longitude, keep 122 and 5. Convert seconds 2.34 (2.34 / 60 = .039)

Example:
    37°25'19.82"N, 122° 5'2.34"W (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds)
    37° 25.330'N, 122° 5.039'W (Degrees, Decimal Minutes)

Convert From: Degrees, Decimal minutes
    Convert To: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
    Looking at the example below, for Latitude start with the exact same degrees (37°) and whole number minutes (25), Then take the next numbers after and including the decimal and multiply by 60 (.330 x 60 = 19.8). For Longitude, keep 122 and 5. Convert .039 (.039 x 60 = 2.34) Note: The numbers are vy close but may not be exactly the same. In this case 19.8 is very close to the actual 19.82, a difference of inches on the ground.

Example:
    37°25'19.82"N, 122° 5'2.34"W (Degrees, Minutes, Seconds)

Convert From: Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude
    Convert To: Degrees, Decimal Minutes
    Looking at the example below, for longitude, start with the exact same degrees (37°). Then take the next numbers after and including the decimal and multiply by 60 (.422172 x 60 = 25.330). For Longitude, keep 122 then convert .083983 (.083983 x 60 = 5.039)

Example:
    37.422172°, -122.083983° (Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude)

Convert From: Degrees, Decimal Minutes
    Convert To: Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude
    Looking at the example below, for longitude, start with the exact same degrees (37°). Then take the next numbers after and including the decimal and divide by 60 to 6 digits (25.330 / 60 = .422167). For Longitude, keep 122 then convert 5.039 (5.039 / 60 = .083983) Note: The numbers are very close but may not be exactly the same A difference of a few inches on the ground.

Example:
    37.422172°, -122.083983° (Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude)

Convert From: Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude
    Convert To: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
    This is a two step process.
    1. First convert from Decimal Degrees to Degrees, Decimal Minutes.
    2. Then convert the resulting number from Degrees, Decimal Minutes to Degrees, Minutes, Seconds.

Convert From: Degrees, Minutes, Seconds
    Convert To: Decimal Degrees or standard Latitude, Longitude
    The reverse is also a two step process.
    1. First convert from Degrees, Minutes, Seconds to Degrees, Decimal Minutes.
    2. Then convert the resulting number from Degrees, Decimal Minutes to Decimal Degrees.
  • Hello,give a try to http://en.tixik.com/tools/gps This is a simple GPS converter so you do not have to think at all .] just put any GPS into a field and it returns you decimal format.