This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

Need unit that uses MY route

readJOHN316 0 Points
edited November -1 in GPS Recommendations
Live in USA. Have had streetpilot c330 for years. Need to know what auto gps unit would most easily allow me to either: 1. prerecord the route I want it to remember, turn by turn between origin and destination or 2. remember the route I travel between origin and destination.

I have routes between my home and beach, kids house, etc. different from what garmin wants me to go. I need a unit that remembers those routes or allows me to record them so my bride (who is somewhat directionally challenged) will be able to duplicate MY route if I'm not with her.
Can someone tell me the best unit for route remembering via waypoints or whatever? Thanks

Comments

• Boyd 1735 Points
    I don't think there is any GPS which can "record" the route you drive.

Certain Garmin and TomTom models allow you to do route planning on both the unit itself or your computer. But you must designate a number of intersections along the route where you want to turn. The GPS itself will then figure out the best way to get between those points. The more points you choose, the more likely that the route will be what you want.

It isn't really foolproof though. You need to be careful about choosing the points or the GPS may not realize that you have passed through them.
  • Tks Boyd. I am struggling with this problem. I have looked at both garmin, magellan and tomtom sites and have had trouble figuring out it they will indeed do what I am asking.

My frustration comes from using marine gps for years that allows me to record "waypoints" where I am to turn,etc. This is a basic function on these units and I am having trouble understanding why it's so difficult to have a auto unit that allows you to fundamentally "save" this waypoint along a route and label it "right turn", "veer left" or whatever. Maybe I/we might accually have a better way to go from point a to b. Will keep looking....
  • Tim 1456 Points
    The now pretty much defunct Dash Express had a function called My Route that would watch the difference between a planned and taken route, and offer it as a suggestion in the future when going between those two points.

But I don't know of any devices that will effectively "record" a route for later playback. Based on what it sounds like you are trying to do, any device with Multi-destination routing might do what you need-- just not with the method you describe. They allow you to build and save a route that you pick by adding waypoints to a route.
  • dhn 228 Points
    Many TomTom users who use Itineraries do so in conjunction with a 3rd party application called TYRE.

I'm providing a link to a site set up by a member of another forum as to how to use Google maps in conjunction with TYRE prior to downloading the route to TomTom.

Perhaps you will get a bit of insight as to how it all fits together and you can see whether it fits your bill:

http://home.comcast.net/~spheasant1/Google_itinerary.html
  • So Tim, trying to get this right. Waypoints by using multiple-destination routing would be addresses rather than say "turns" at intersections? My point is: would I need to know an address to use as a waypoint that is very close to an intersection or turn that I may want my wife to make in order to stay on MY route between A and B?

You'd think there was an easy way to go a personalized route via GPS rather than the pre-programed ones they come up with, which aren't even the shortest, fastest or most direct in many cases.

Thanks for the feedback... I'm still on the trail..
  • Boyd 1735 Points
    You don't need addresses. You can use the map and zoom in to accurately click on your desired waypoint location. But yes, it needs to be pretty close to the exact turn or the GPS won't understand that you have passed through the waypoint.

One possibility would be recording your track (all current model Nuvi's do this by default) and download on your computer. There are various software packages which can perform conversion from tracks to routes. Come to think of it, the Garmin 60csx and Oregon can also do this right on the unit IIRC.

Problem is, this may not be a very "pretty" route initially. You would need to do some manual editing to get what you want I suspect.
  • Tim 1456 Points
    My point is: would I need to know an address to use as a waypoint that is very close to an intersection or turn that I may want my wife to make in order to stay on MY route between A and B?
    No, not really. It wouldn't be as difficult as that. You don't really need to use intersections, and it might help to not think of it that way.

When the GPS builds the route, pick a spot on your route that is furthest away from the route the GPS picks. If you set that point as a waypoint (either using an approximate address, an intersection, or even tapping on the map like Boyd described) then the GPS will likely reroute the way you want.
  • tomj03 0 Points

Certain Garmin and TomTom models allow you to do route planning on both the unit itself or your computer. But you must designate a number of intersections along the route where you want to turn. The GPS itself will then figure out the best way to get between those points.
    @Boyd
    Actually you can designate 'City Center' as waypoint in a TomTom, it won't go thru the busy Downtown of a big city - just skirt around it. This make planning on the GPS much easier, without resorting to a computer.
    You can also use the 'Cursor' to make waypoints, but I don't want to make John too confused. :)
  • Tks for all of the informative info. I really like the TYRE app if it indeed is as user friendly as set forth at the website. The one thing is didn't see (and I will go to tomtom web site to investigate) is which of their units would be compatable with such a program - or if all are.

I'm like most of you probably are - after I buy a unit is not the time I want to find out it won't fill the bill - hence all of the question asking and research.

Thanks again and if anyone has any other words of wisdom, my ears are open.
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    FWIW, T.Y.R.E. can assist with Garmin nuvis that support custom routing, tho I haven't seen anyone mention using it. Where it would be particularly helpful is using Google Maps, which otherwise won't export a route to a nuvi. That's why many Garmin users prefer MapQuest over Google for building a custom travel plan. Also, Garmin does have it's own solution, MapSource for the PC's, RoadTrip for Mac.
  • ok with the "custom routing" on garmin nuvi. Upon looking at Garmin's web site, I can't distingush which of their models to allow custom routing - or does Garmin refer to that capability or feature by another name?

I'm getting closer - I can feel ittttt........
  • gatorguy 224 Points
    Nuvi 7x0's, 7x5's, 8x0's, 8x5's, 500, 5000 or 1470. Garmin refers to multi-stop capability as "Routes", while TomTom calls it "Itinerary" planning.
  • tomj03 0 Points
    I really like the TYRE app if it indeed is as user friendly as set forth at the website. The one thing is didn't see (and I will go to tomtom web site to investigate) is which of their units would be compatable with such a program - or if all are.
    It used to be all TomTom's except the TT1 v3 support Route Planning (TomTom use the term 'Itinerary' instead) , not anymore , but I am sure the higher models (7xx, 9xx) still have that feature.
    Get a 740 Live, it has many more goodies than let say a 340, 340S, 140, 140S (stronger processor, more memory, SD card support) or a 720, 730 ...