This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

7200t to 7300t upgrade on Ebay?

caryrae 92 Points
edited November -1 in NAVIGON Forum
Is this for real do you think? There is a pic of the screen and it says 7300T.

<editted link>.
Please read the listing carefully, so there aren't any misunderstandings. For sale is a complete software UPDATE for your Navigon 7200T GPS. When applying this update, your unit becomes 7300T, which was set to be released in May of 2009, however, never was. This update is not available online or at any stores. In addition, this software comes with the latest United States maps available for Second Quarter of 2009, and Millions of more POIs, all free of charge. Forget about searching for FreshMaps, get your free recent update here.

This update comes on convenient DVD and to install it you will simply drag the contents onto your existing Navigon SD Card.

Comments

• xhaimbondx is a frequent on many GPS forums including this one I believe. He is known to hack the 7200T, so this is probably legit. If only he will let us install this for free. Haha!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    funny I didn't even notice who the seller was?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    One thing odd is he's never mentioned it in a Navigon thread at another forum where he's a frequent contributor. No reason to think it's not legit other than how did it get on a DVD? Isn't the EU 7300 conversion/update a download?
  • Spyder63 331 Points
    A month or so ago I mentioned in another thread that "some people" reported that they were successful in getting the 7310t update to work on a US 7200t and it was xhaimbondx. One might correctly assume he has "perfected" the process/update and now trying to make a few bucks. I would think he is selling Navigon proprietary/copyrighted software. I wonder how that is going to work out?

His <edit> instructions simply have the user drag the contents of the DVD to the gps memory card so no big mystery on how he got in on a DVD. No installer involved.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Caryrae, I know you're just trying to find out how legitimate the offer is, but until some evidence on where the update is coming from, I'll have to remove the link and mention. I can't see how he is selling proprietary Navigon software for which they charge a fee unless he's purchasing copies directly from Navigon and reselling, which I doubt.
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Not a problem.
  • CDK 0 Points
    The european update is web based.
    All files including maps must be downloaded (2,5 Gb !) through the Navigon Fresh program and are installed on the device. Access is granted only if the device identifier is recognized by the Navigon website, so it must stay connected with the USB cable. A temporary directory is made on your hard drive, but after the installation is complete, the directory is empty and there is no way to get the files back: they have magically disappeared.

This looks like a very secure method to avoid illegal copies, but it isn't.

If then you make a backup of the memory card, using the same program, you have a copy of all files that you can write to a DVD or another memory card as many times as you like.
  • davelac 91 Points
    This is an interesting conversation partly because the person offering the upgrade resides in the same location I am. I'm not going to judge whether or not what he's doing is right or wrong, but more to the point is that Navigon appears to be enhancing it's software and may have had the new units ready to roll in the US market prior to pulling the plug. I can understand that the company may not want to develop hardware if it felt it was losing money, but I would think it might at least want to keep the US market up and running with software updates which it has to develop anyway for other markets.

Personally, if Navigon offered (through legitimate means) the opportunity to do software upgrades at a competitive price point in order for existing units to gain new features I would think many of us, including me, would gladly do upgrades. Am I wrong here?
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    You're right as far as I'm concerned. Very unfortunate that Navigon elected to pull all support of US devices, including the option of legitimately buying the 73xx update. But to me, theft is theft, no matter how you try to frame it. I'm sure you know about the slippery slope.

Not claiming the seller is illegally profiting from selling property that doesn't belong to him since I don't have any direct knowledge. Does appear that way tho.
  • CDK 0 Points
    Yes davelac, you are wrong.
    To use the new features, files have been added to each map, expanding the contents of the memory card from 1980 Mb to over 2500 Mb.
    These files are available only for the 40 European countries and Navigon has no intention to do the same for the USA.
    They have been driving around Europa and photographed major streets in all European cities with a special vehicle equipped with cameras on all sides.

Today I asked Navigon what they think happens if you only upgrade the software and leave the maps as they are. I will post their answer here when I get it.
  • dnajar 0 Points
    If I can find a way to upgrade a 7200t like this I would consider returning my 8100t and purchase a 7200t.

Even better, I know Navigon is also going to be selling a software upgrade for the 8110t to make it 8310t. One could only hope...

It is an interesting dilemma in that a company refuses to provide software support to a market but someone makes it available nevertheless. I guess the sticking point is selling it. If someone hacked it and provided a free version perhaps it would be more acceptable. We then could perhaps "donate" to their website.

It is ridiculous and unfortunate. I, too, would pay the U.S. conversion of 70 pounds to upgrade my 8100t.
  • davelac 91 Points
    CDK - I'm not sure why you're saying I'm wrong that US owners might consider upgrade options if they were available for the US market.
  • papa 0 Points
    Personally, if Navigon offered (through legitimate means) the opportunity to do software upgrades at a competitive price point in order for existing units to gain new features I would think many of us, including me, would gladly do upgrades. Am I wrong here?
    No, you are not wrong. I would gladly get the upgrade, also.

:)
  • CDK 0 Points
    CDK - I'm not sure why you're saying I'm wrong that US owners might consider upgrade options if they were available for the US market.
    Because the software upgrade only functions if you have the proper maps, and these you will not get due to the fact that Navigon pulled out of the US.

I have waited all these weeks for a reply from Navigon support, but didn't get any. I'm sorry!
  • There is only 1 version of 7300T software that will work with US maps. Navigon will not be selling it anytime soon.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    I bit the bullet and bought the dvd off ebay. its from handsome joe and not xhaimbondx. I hope it is legit.

I am buying a 7200 off of amazon now.

I will keep everyone updated. Once I read about the multiple traffic routes on a map with ETA and voice commands I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

THe only thing I want to know is what about future map upates? Do you think that I will be able to update the maps and not revert it back to a 7200?!
  • caryrae 92 Points
    Unless you can find Freshmaps anywhere (doubtful) you can not update the maps anymore in the U.S.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    dont you think the same people will be abl to get them the same way? They probably just got the 7310 update somehow and it works or is tweaked.
  • phishhead 0 Points
    Also, maybe it truly does just become a 7310 and I can perhaps register afer I upgrade it. Then maybe I could purchase freshmaps as a 7310 user?

Just a thought
  • Hey phishhead did you ever get this upgrade to work? I'm interested in updating a 7200t too. :)
  • yes. The my routes and traffic are the best feature. It gives you three routes and incorporates traffic and gives you the eta. I took its advice from long island to Philadelphia the other day and it was right on to about a minute and saved me 25 minutes.

If there is an alternate route and a traffic alert during your trip you get an alert and it gives you an alternate with new eta.

IT does freeze and require a hard restart like once a day, but I put up with it.

Voice command works once you hit options but I rarely use it. 3d terrain does not work however.

I'd be willing to share the software off the this board
  • 3d terrain does not work however.
    Did 3D Terrain work prior to the update? :|
  • im talking about the elevation nasa terrain data that the 8100 does and the 7300 was supposed to.

Apparently the 7200 processor cant do the 3d elevation.

side note the thing dropped the ball this morning and told me to take the george washington bridge in NYC and had NO TRAFFIC alerts and it was bumper to bumper for over an hour.

Works well a lot tho. Worth it for my routes in my opinion

• Works well a lot tho. Worth it for my routes in my opinion
    Good to know! :)
  • ubercool, e-mail me directly at xhaimbondx@aim.com
  • CDK 0 Points
    Just returned from a 3000 mile trip across Europe.
    The 7210, upgraded to a 7310 performed flawlessly: no reset necessary with the device active for more than 2 weeks. Superb 3D pictures showing shadows on mountains and hills, gradually getting darker at sunset.

The maps are a different story. I have 3rd quarter 2009 maps, but many changes like new motorways or roundabouts open for over a year still have not been implemented.

Because we made the trip with a camper van, I entered 'lorry' in the profile. That made the ETA more realistic. Contrary to my expectations, the device does not bear in mind that a lorry cannot use roads with low tunnels or narrow country roads where traffic signs forbid heavy vehicles.
  • sycore 0 Points
    I bit the bullet and bought the dvd off ebay. its from handsome joe and not xhaimbondx. I hope it is legit.

I am buying a 7200 off of amazon now.

I will keep everyone updated. Once I read about the multiple traffic routes on a map with ETA and voice commands I HAVE TO HAVE IT!

THe only thing I want to know is what about future map upates? Do you think that I will be able to update the maps and not revert it back to a 7200?!
    Hi, Could you PM me the link or send it to me at logidatasales@live.com

Thanks
  • Hello phishhead. Curious if the 7310 upgrade is working well. I may want to take the plunge on my 7200T.