This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My 765t died tonight...anyone else?

Comments

• SergZak 340 Points
    What should I do when it arrives, any help!
    If you plug the unit directly into USB without powering on, it goes into USB Mass Storage mode and acts solely as a removable disk drive. No part of the GPS is functioning as a GPS unit.

HOWEVER, when you do a eject/remove the GPS from the task bar, the GPS will reboot and turn on normally. This is also when the actual firmware update takes place...after you've ejected the GPS from the task bar & it powers on. The PC only transfers the firmware update file to the nuvi. Then the nuvi itself actually performs the firmware update.

Sequence to follow when you get the new unit:

1. Plug the unit directly into USB without powering it on
    3. Run WebUpdater to download/transfer the firmware update to the nuvi
    4. Safely eject the nuvi but keep it plugged into the USB port to perform the firmware update using USB power rather than battery power (the new unit may have a low battery from just sitting in a warehouse).
  • gundog 0 Points
    Never experienced a problem with mine. I had v3.5 in my unit and not v3.4, I do not know if I needed to update or not but I did the update to stay on the safe side. Hope I did not create a problem by updating. We shall see. I plan on a 2100 mile trip next week and will be relying on my new Nuvi 765T.
  • magnetik 0 Points
    I am installing 3.60 right now. So far so good. I am also checking off all the updates including GPS Chipset M. I only got the 765t two days ago.. so if it busts, I will just return it. Will post back if it blows up.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I now have firmware 3.6 and GPS 2.8 on my 785T and it hasn't lost acquisition yet, full-bars after 10 minutes.

SergZak, I let it do the GPS Type M udpate at the same time as the firmware download. Now I have the two .disabled files and a new .gcd file. What should I do with the .disabled files? I am especially curious regarding the .bin.disabled file since it doesn't appear to have been updated in the download with a new .bin file, just the .gcd.

Also, someone asked the question about the battery connnector earlier. Both the speaker and battery connectors on my 785T are tiny white blocks that easily slide in and out of their respective sockets. Easy as pie...

Regards,
    AL
  • hcdouglas 0 Points
    I really hope that it is just a firmware problem because I crossed shipped a new 785T yesterday and paid for overnight shipping and I received my new 785T this morning. If it is a bad chip then I would have wasted $28 for overnight shipping. I will wait and see the responses from people who have done the 3.60 update.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    Now I have the two .disabled files and a new .gcd file. What should I do with the .disabled files?
    You can keep the newer dated .bin.disabled file. You can delete the other. When the GPS chipset is updated, the GCD is the file that is actually downloaded (as you've seen). When the unit deems that the unit's GPS chipset version is older, it uses the GCD file to create the .bin file which is then flashed to the unit. Afterwards, the .bin file is no longer used & a new one is created by the GCD file at the next update.
  • ssjones 0 Points
    My755T took a dump this afternoon, traveling on the NJ Turnpike, outside NYC to a strange hotel. Thanks Garmin. Mine won't even boot up now. I send in the request for info form and will try calling them later this evening. I'm in a hotel this evening, but could ship it back tomorrow. This sucks.
    My unit was purchased at the end of March. Without being able to power-up, is there a way to determine what software version I have? I did an update back in March. Wish I'd have checked this site on Monday.
    What should I do when it arrives, any help!

If you plug the unit directly into USB without powering on, it goes into USB Mass Storage mode and acts solely as a removable disk drive. No part of the GPS is functioning as a GPS unit.

HOWEVER, when you do a eject/remove the GPS from the task bar, the GPS will reboot and turn on normally. This is also when the actual firmware update takes place...after you've ejected the GPS from the task bar & it powers on. The PC only transfers the firmware update file to the nuvi. Then the nuvi itself actually performs the firmware update.

Sequence to follow when you get the new unit:

1. Plug the unit directly into USB without powering it on
    3. Run WebUpdater to download/transfer the firmware update to the nuvi
    4. Safely eject the nuvi but keep it plugged into the USB port to perform the firmware update using USB power rather than battery power (the new unit may have a low battery from just sitting in a warehouse).
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Now I have the two .disabled files and a new .gcd file. What should I do with the .disabled files?

You can keep the newer dated .bin.disabled file. You can delete the other. When the GPS chipset is updated, the GCD is the file that is actually downloaded (as you've seen). When the unit deems that the unit's GPS chipset version is older, it uses the GCD file to create the .bin file which is then flashed to the unit. Afterwards, the .bin file is no longer used & a new one is created by the GCD file at the next update.
    Oh I see, thanks again :!:

I just drove around the neighborhood and it did not loose satellite acquisition at anytime (maybe 15 minutes). All settings (not favorites or recent selections) were set back to default and I had to basically set the unit up again with all my preferences. But, that may have been a result of having to unplug the battery to unbrick the unit. I'm not sure...

It would appear that after all this, I am now ready for my vacation next week. My wife asked if I was going to break out the bread crumbs if the unit wasn't working by then, :lol:

Regards,
    Al
  • efranzen 0 Points
    My 765t is still working, kindof.

When I got to work and removed it from the cradle, I got a message that the battery was low. I thought that was odd because I never use it on battery power. I thought maybe when I stuck it in the glovebox yesterday that I must have accidentally turned the power on and it drained overnight. I've had it charging on a PC for 5 hours now and I still get a battery low message when attempting to turn it on.

I'm on software version 3.4
    Welp, there is no doubt now. Mine bricked on the way home from work. Got about 5 blocks from work and it lost satellite signal for the rest of the 30 minute drive. Now it won't turn on.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    *A note to those that have "bricked" units...

Please try the reset via power switch to verify your unit is actually bricked. Some may be, some may not be but it's always a good idea to try all possibilities.

To reset via power switch, slide the power switch to the left ("on") position and hold it there for at least 10 - 15 seconds. If the unit does NOT power on after this, then you can assume that yes, it is indeed bricked.

I thought mine was bricked a few times in the last two days but doing the power switch reset brought it back (maybe because of other things I had done) from the dead.

Anyways, it cannot hurt to at least try.
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    Sergzak, just so that all who update to 3.6 are clear on what they should do: If offered Chipset M update, perhaps due to rollback to 2.5 or file renaming by the user, it is perfectly safe to apply the chip update after 3.6, correct?
  • drew.c 0 Points
    What size Torx bit is it?

Torx T-5
    My nuvi 765t died this am. Yesterday and this morning it kept getting GPS update complete, lose the satellite, I would power cycle it, and finally this am it would not turn back on. I went to Lowe's and bought a Kobalt Item # 239384 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set (T4-T10, and T15) for $5.98. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5 and gently pryed apart the bottom with my finger nails, working my way around the right side (looking at the front view) and some of the top. The left side seemed harder to separate so I left it attached. This gives you enough room to open the case on the right side. The male tabs are on the front side, female receiving indentation is on back of the unit. The battery is on the bottom side on the right. It's a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery 3.7V 1.25Ah Garmin # 361-00019-11. It has a 3 wire Red Green Black removable white plug that plugs into a circuit board attached to the front side of unit. I unplugged the white plug for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Before powering on your nuvi and snaping the case back together, connect the unit with a USB cable to your PC and run the WebUpdater. It should upgrade to 3.6. Mine is now SW 3.60 nuvi 765 V6 4 GB P1 S2 330MHz. Thanks for the torx size T5. I am going on 2 trips in July and did not want to send it away for a refurb. unit. For those of you returning your newer units to the store and getting a new unit, make sure you did not purchase the lifetime maps and apply them as they are only good for that serial #.

Drew
  • gatorguy 326 Points
    For those of you returning your newer units to the store and getting a new unit, make sure you did not purchase the lifetime maps and apply them as they are only good for that serial #.

Drew
    Garmin can transfer the map subscription to the new device when it's replaced by them due to warranty issues.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    For those of you returning your newer units to the store and getting a new unit, make sure you did not purchase the lifetime maps and apply them as they are only good for that serial #.

Drew

Garmin can transfer the map subscription to the new device when it's replaced by them due to warranty issues.
    Good to know, thanks!
  • mogulman 0 Points
    I returned mine and got a 265wt. I didn't want to risk it with my trip coming up on Monday.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    Here is a YouTube video on how to remove the back cover on a nuvi 760 (same as the 765t). I did not use a tool, just my fingers.

• Spyder63 331 Points
    SEE FIRMWARE UPDATES THREAD IN THIS FORUM.
  • hcdouglas 0 Points
    Has anyone driven around with the 7x5 unit in their car since doing the update?
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Has anyone driven around with the 7x5 unit in their car since doing the update?
    Yes, I did and no acquisition loss after about 15 minutes. Firmware indicates 3.6 and GPS indicates 2.8. See my previous few posts.
  • ssjones 0 Points
    Thanks Drew. I'll head for home and my torx bit set and try your reset.

Torx T-5

My nuvi 765t died this am. Yesterday and this morning it kept getting GPS update complete, lose the satellite, I would power cycle it, and finally this am it would not turn back on. I went to Lowe's and bought a Kobalt Item # 239384 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set (T4-T10, and T15) for $5.98. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5 and gently pryed apart the bottom with my finger nails, working my way around the right side (looking at the front view) and some of the top. The left side seemed harder to separate so I left it attached. This gives you enough room to open the case on the right side. The male tabs are on the front side, female receiving indentation is on back of the unit. The battery is on the bottom side on the right. It's a Rechargeable Li-ion Battery 3.7V 1.25Ah Garmin # 361-00019-11. It has a 3 wire Red Green Black removable white plug that plugs into a circuit board attached to the front side of unit. I unplugged the white plug for a few seconds and plugged it back in. Before powering on your nuvi and snaping the case back together, connect the unit with a USB cable to your PC and run the WebUpdater. It should upgrade to 3.6. Mine is now SW 3.60 nuvi 765 V6 4 GB P1 S2 330MHz. Thanks for the torx size T5. I am going on 2 trips in July and did not want to send it away for a refurb. unit. For those of you returning your newer units to the store and getting a new unit, make sure you did not purchase the lifetime maps and apply them as they are only good for that serial #.

Drew
  • javeloni 0 Points
    My 765T first started losing satellites Monday June 22. I've had the unit in the car for six months and have only ever momentarily lost satellite reception. I have not updated the firmware, or seen the pop-up message, and I don't connect the unit to the computer. After mysteriously losing reception Monday, I regained satellites by rebooting it. Problem got worse the next day - repeatedly lost satellite reception, repeatedly rebooted with mixed results - sometimes helped, sometimes not. Today (Wed June 24) the signal problem continues, and it now seems to be showing signs of the shut-down described in other posts - this evening it did not automatically power up when I turn on the car but did boot (no satellite reception) when I manually turned the unit on.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    My 765T first started losing satellites Monday June 22. I've had the unit in the car for six months and have only ever momentarily lost satellite reception. I have not updated the firmware, or seen the pop-up message, and I don't connect the unit to the computer. After mysteriously losing reception Monday, I regained satellites by rebooting it. Problem got worse the next day - repeatedly lost satellite reception, repeatedly rebooted with mixed results - sometimes helped, sometimes not. Today (Wed June 24) the signal problem continues, and it now seems to be showing signs of the shut-down described in other posts - this evening it did not automatically power up when I turn on the car but did boot (no satellite reception) when I manually turned the unit on.
    I would plug it in asap to a computer and run the WebUpdater. Once it will not power on, you either have to send it back to Garmin or take it apart as I had to listed in my post above.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    Just received this from Garmin:

Mandatory Software Update
    Today, Garmin released a free, mandatory GPS software update to correct a software issue that has been discovered to cause the nuvi 7x5 devices to repeatedly attempt to update GPS firmware, and then either shut down or no longer acquire GPS satellite signals.

Garmin nüvi 7x5 series products that are no longer able to acquire a GPS satellite signal may download a firmware update immediately that will correct the software issue. This firmware update may be downloaded using Garmin's WebUpdater program.

Garmin nüvi 7x5 customers who are no longer able to power on their GPS device will need to visit www.garmin.com/support, and select the first FAQ titled "My nüvi 755T, 765T, 775T or 785T is giving me the message 'Updating GPS Firmware' or will no longer power on..." Customers will then need to follow the instructions to request a return authorization so that the device may be repaired under warranty.

We know our customers rely upon their Garmin GPS device(s), especially during the summer travel season, and we regret any inconvenience this situation may have caused. We are committed to developing products that are known for their quality and reliability and will continue to work diligently to earn the trust of our customers.
  • ssjones 0 Points
    I'm stuck in a hotel this evening an no tools! Nothing but time on my hands to fume about this, and the five hour, no-GPS ride home! I tried my trusty Swiss Army knife and a nail file, both too large.

I would plug it in asap to a computer and run the WebUpdater. Once it will not power on, you either have to send it back to Garmin or take it apart as I had to listed in my post above.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    I'm stuck in a hotel this evening an no tools! Nothing but time on my hands to fume about this, and the five hour, no-GPS ride home! I tried my trusty Swiss Army knife and a nail file, both too large.

Ask the hotel where the closest hardware store is. All you need is the Torx T5. Maybe their maintenance person would have one to borrow.
  • dsrussell 0 Points
    A few days ago I got that curious message when I turned on my 765t. I didn't press the okay button because the message made no sense to me. I just turned it off and turned it on again (I guess I was lucky). Anyway, and as everyone else is doing, I went and downloaded the firmware update (received the mandatory update notice an hour later). Glad Garmin got this fix (temporary fix?) out quickly, but it doesn't helped those who cannot turn on their unit.
  • dross333 0 Points
    Should the update be applied even if I dont have the issue?
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited June 2009
    If you are on firmware v3.40, YES. Do it ASAP. Don't even power the unit on to use it. Plug it directly into the PC's USB port and run WebUpdater. Failure to update may cause it to brick regardless of if you're having the issue or not.
  • Tim 1480 Points
    Should the update be applied even if I dont have the issue?
    Yes!
  • ssjones 0 Points
    Update: Thanks Marriott Courtyard East Rutherford NJ! The maintenance guy had a small jewelers screwdriver set. No torx, but the smallest one worked. Did Drew's suggestion with the battery and loaded the new 3.60 firmware. (3.60)

Man, what a traumatic evening! Thanks a lot Cyberdyne, er I mean Garmin!

Thank goodness for forums like this one. My wife laughs at all the forums I belong to. (car, bikes, guns, GPS, etc.) But, that is how you learn about these things! I imagine Garmin is going to have thousands of unhappy customers right at the start of summer travel.
  • HansYupp 0 Points

Torx T-5

My nuvi 765t died this am. Yesterday and this morning it kept getting GPS update complete, lose the satellite, I would power cycle it, and finally this am it would not turn back on. I went to Lowe's and bought a Kobalt Item # 239384 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set (T4-T10, and T15) for $5.98.

Oh Man, I owe you a beer or something!

I stopped at three different places on my way home after work. None of them had anything that small. I even went to sears.

I saw your post when I came home and ran to Lowes after dinner. I had to ask for the clerk for the part number you provided. They didn't have any on the shelf.

Anyway, I took mine apart and ran the webupdater. I appear to be back in business. Took a whole 10mins to take a part and fix it. way too easy to hassle with sending it back.

Thanks for the help and info everyone!
  • drew.c 0 Points
    I updated to 3.60 a few hours ago after my 765t was bricked. I already have the 2010 map (purchased the lifetime map). Installed it 2-3 days ago. I just turned my Garmin on and it says:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Map Update Notice

The following map data is more than a year old and should be updated:

CN North America NT2010.10
    To purchase updated map data, go to

http://www.garmin.com/mapupdates
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I ran WebUpdater again and it said it was up to date but the voices were not. I just updated the English (Jack and Jill) 2 days ago. It says the new versions are for Jack 1.80 and Jill 2.30. The British and Australian English voices also needed updating. Not sure what my old version was. Maybe they just released these.
    I went to mygarmin and it says my maps are up to date.
    Maps installed on this device:
    Unlk/Reg Sheet,CNNA NT 2010.10 3DB+JV
    Region: City Navigator North America NT 2010.10, Deluxe 3DB+JV, All Regions, Apr 09
    Code: xxxxxxxx
    Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date Unlocked: June 22, 2009

Strange!!!
  • Annoying 0 Points
    Hi everybody,

This morning my 765T was working fine, decided to check for update but none where available.
    Removed the unit from the USB chain but left it connected and powered the thing off so that it could get charged.

Tonight, tried to reconnect to the USB but nothing.
    The thing was locked and i could'nt do anything to bring it back to life.

Now this is my 4th unit and i'm furious.

Decided to remove the battery and did exactly what others have done and
    hold and behold, the thing came back to life just like little Frankenstein.

Did the update to 3.60 and so far so good but will see in a couple of days.

What the hell is happening at Garmin...?

In the future, i will look very closely at other suppliers.

Annoying.
  • wilsonhp 0 Points
    I did the update at work before I left this evening, and the unit ran flawlessly for the 1.5 hour trip home. Seems to have fixed the problem.

Whew!
  • betali 0 Points
    I have the same problem where my 765T will try to update to a new firmware since last Monday. It finally died yesterday and I was not able to either do a soft reset or a hard master reset.

By reading messages on this and other forums, I did recevie the hint that if I can open up the back cover and remove the connection to the battery for about 5 to 10 minutes, I should be able to power up the 765T.

I did try this evening and it works. My 765T power up after I disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes, then reconnected the battery again.

You must use the correct screw driver to unscrew the back cover. I found a set of screw driver set at Frys that will work.
  • garthorn 0 Points
    My unit bricked yesterday morning. I contacted Garmin via the support pages as I would with any other consumer electronic. This was prior to learning that 95% of 7X5 units were having the same problems.

I got the email this afternoon from Garmin about the mandatory update, but my unit will NOT power up no matter how long I hold the power switch.

Just a few minutes ago I got another email from Garmin with an RMA and stating that 7x5 owners whos unit bricked need to send it to their repair center. Personally, I think that Garmin should be paying for this in one way shape or form. I don't think that my 6 month old unit should be considered any different from someone who only had it for 30-60 days considering that it was THEIR FAULT that there was a problem.

I saw another poster mention that there was a shipping tag being sent to them via email, how was that done? Should I push back to Garmin and be the greasy wheel to get them to do something?

Garmin owes their customers something besides the quick fix in my opinion. Free map update anyone?
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    A manager at Garmin called me today and offered me a prepaid return label. Too late. I sent the 765T back to Garmin yesterday on my own dime. I mentioned that if they can't give me a new 765T, then i want them to repair the one I sent to them and I want that one back since I know what I've done to it. I don't know what's been done to a refurbished unit.
  • Joost 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Like stated before I unplugged the battery for 10 seconds and I got it working again. It was freezing again using it outdoor but did not die on me.

Overnight the update came available, which I installed this morning reading SW ver 3.60 and GPS 2.80.

I just drove almost 2 hours and all was working fine.

I guess that opening the unit and unplugging the battery can save you some precious time... :wink:
  • chitorap 0 Points
    My 765T died tonight. I bought it last June 21, 2009 at Sam's Club. I updated the Map to North America NT 2010.10, Deluxe 3DB+JV before using it. I used it today driving for more than 8 hours....... This evening I got an email from Garmin which states "Free mandatory Garmin GPS software update for nuvi 7x5....I tried everything to power it up but no luck then I tried Joost post and I got it to power up again so immediately updated the firmware from 3.40 to 3.60 and all available updates, Thanks to you Joost your a life saver... :D
  • chitorap 0 Points
    As posted on this forum. Open the unit and unplug the battery connector for about 10 seconds or more and plug it back and turn on the power. Once you see the something on the screen be ready to update it using Web Updater. This saved me from sending the unit back to Garmin for repair...Try it. It worked fo me too...Good Luck!!!!! :D Thanks again fo Joost post...
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    You just have to be really careful so Garmin won't know you opened it up (which would void your warranty).
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited June 2009
    Sergzak, just so that all who update to 3.6 are clear on what they should do: If offered Chipset M update, perhaps due to rollback to 2.5 or file renaming by the user, it is perfectly safe to apply the chip update after 3.6, correct?
    Sorry gatorguy. I missed your post amidst all the commotion. It sure was busy around here (and elsewhere).

The answer is yes, it is safe to reapply the GPS Chipset Type M update if you've renamed the files or have backdated or have not updated the unit for a while. The .GCD file that will get downloaded will do nothing since the version has not changed. The files are only there to flash the chipset firmware. Once it's flashed, I believe the unit has no use for the files unless there is a newer version. The GPS chipset firmware version has stayed the same at 2.80 for months now.
  • JimiV 0 Points
    So assuming my new 765T comes on Friday. What steps should I follow?

This thread is 5 pages long with lots of very helpful suggestions and reports of solutions and needed workarounds.

Perhaps a sticky with "here are the steps to follow for a NEW unit" and a "Here are the steps to follow with a bricked Unit (assuming you don't want to send back to G"

I've never updated a G before and really don't want to muck it up!

Thanks to everyone who take the time to help others.
  • SergZak 340 Points
    See my post regarding this at the top of this page, second post down.
  • JimiV 0 Points
    Thank you! I obviously missed that.

So basically, install the G software and follow those directions.

Great!
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    Glad the update seems to prevent this issue from occurring on non-bricked units. I was about to purchase a nuMaps lifetime subscription too, but not anymore. I don't want to use a lifetime subscription on a refurbished unit.
  • jordanal 96 Points
    Just a quick follow-up; my updated 785T worked fine on the way into work this morning. No issues or loss of acquisition in a 40 minute timeframe. MSN data, bluetooth, and media player all seem to be fully functional as well. :)

Regards,
    Al
  • Sonoran 0 Points
    I am new to GPS & just ordered a 755T through Amazon. It will arrive next week.

I started reading this thread after buying the unit & would like advice as to how to proceed with updating things when it arrives. Here is what I am hearing people say:

1. Download & install Updater first
    2. Plug in the 755 using the USB cable but don't turn it on
    3. Run Updater & get latest firmware
    4. Disconnect the 755 from the PC but leave the USB connected
    5. Let the unit charge up

Am I getting this right?
  • jordanal 96 Points
    I am new to GPS & just ordered a 755T through Amazon. It will arrive next week.

I started reading this thread after buying the unit & would like advice as to how to proceed with updating things when it arrives. Here is what I am hearing people say:

1. Download & install Updater first
    2. Plug in the 755 using the USB cable but don't turn it on
    3. Run Updater & get latest firmware
    4. Disconnect the 755 from the PC but leave the USB connected
    5. Let the unit charge up

Am I getting this right?
    step 5, let the gps reboot and watch it install the firmware update while on the USB cable for external power. Then you can procede to play with it or let it charge.
    Al
  • What size Torx bit is it?

Torx T-5

Drew

Drew, thank you so much, you save my 755T. I ran to shop bought a T5 screwdriver, and did what you told. now my new 755T is working, back to power. I also have two trips need to go, it is summer. :) I was worried so much yesterday, wouldn't sleep, I thought I did something stupid and make my gps died...good to know it was not my fault. And thank you soooooooooooooo much.