This site uses cookies to offer you a better browsing experience. Find out more about how to manage cookies, or dismiss this message and continue to use cookies.

My 765t died tonight...anyone else?

Comments

• I just opened my 765T, which was dead after the 'fameous main event' and disconnected the battery for 5 seconds. After reconnecting it works fine again. He found the sat's, could be switched On and Off repeatedly and was able to navigate. Own battery and USB power at the moment. I wait for the update/fix now... :lol:
    And yes, of course, thanks for Joost too. You are the first one who found out how to repair it. and thanks for Drew let us know need to use T-5 screwdriver. I wouldn't find it in tool shop if I didn't know what I am looking for. Thanks for every one in this forum. :D
  • tobiasly 0 Points
    I went to Lowe's and bought a Kobalt Item # 239384 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver Set (T4-T10, and T15) for $5.98. I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5 and gently pryed apart the bottom with my finger nails, working my way around the right side (looking at the front view) and some of the top...
    Many many thanks for posting the details of this Drew. I bought my 785T brand new last week but got it off eBay so I wasn't sure how Garmin would treat that under a warranty provision (I'm pretty sure the seller was a drop-shipper so hopefully the full warranty applies from the date I got it).

So I was agonizing over whether to ship back or do the repair myself; I'm pretty handy but always hesitate to crack open the case of an electronics item, esp. under warranty. So now that I've read your post I'll do the fix myself and not worry about sending it back.

So, thanks again... now if someone could please explain to me, why in the blue blazes doesn't Garmin include a "hard" reset switch (inside a pinhole or whatever) on these blasted things like almost every other consumer electronics manufacturer does these days?! It would have not only saved all of us a lot of trouble, but saved them a boatload of money on two-way shipping for a LOT of customers!
  • Crunch 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Yesterday while out getting replacement pet chickens for my girls(raccoon had some KFC) my 765 was looking for satellites and shutting down. Finally it would not repower at all.

This morning I got an email from Garmin telling me I should update my unit -- right! A day late with that message. Went to Garmin site and saw notices about issue. Filled out form and was set back with thank you screen saying 'we will reply in next 3 days'. Tried to ring but 30+ minute wait.

Found this forum and where disconnecting battery and then connecting to USB cable for the update worked on Dead units. THANKS guys
    Worth a crack I thought even though my unit is in warrantee, and video looked like it could be done without too much effort or marking unit. Other option is wait days for them to reply to my ticket, days in shipping, repair and return.

Removed two screws, used thin edge of a plastic ruler to pry open, just enough to see power cord and plug. Used long nose pliers to reach in take plug off for a few seconds and replace plug. (thankfully they are not using a plug with a lock). Presto powered on, plugged in USB and did update. 30 minutes later my unit seems to be fine.
    Crunch
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Many thanks to Drew and Joost for sharing the fix of opening the device and unplugging the battery. :)

I have the 765T that does not power on. I will try the fix later tonight after I buy the Torx T5 from Lowe's.

Earlier I asked Garmin if they can expedite shipping after repairing the device (in case I go this route). They said yes but user will be responsible for all shipping charges. :(
  • So is this a problem physically wrong the the 765T or is it just a software issue?

I am thinking of buying one off of amazon and just want to make sure.

Thanks!
  • Hexagonal 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    Hi everybody. I'm bricked, too. I have two questions: one practical, one more abstract:

1) Will I lose all my Favorites if I unplug the battery? (No, I haven't backed them up.)

2) WHY did this happen? I really want to know.

The best clue I've seen so far was this US Coast Guard Navigation Center advisory: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gps_advisory_June2009.htm that somebody linked to. It suggests that every 256 weeks some vendor or another's GPS units will get fried by the the week counter reset if they weren't programmed to deal with it.

Tell you what -- 256 weeks is about 4 years and 11 months. I'll meet you guys back on this forum on May 22, 2013, and we can find out if this was the problems then.

OR, Garmin could tell us in detail What Went Wrong and Why. I'd like that.
  • alkenber 81 Points
    Mt 755T died yesterday. Won't power up. Its 2 weeks old. I filled out the trouble form on Garmins website, just wondering if I should wait to hear from them or just buy the Torx screwdriver and fix it myself.
    Just a little concerned about voiding the warranty.
  • tobiasly 0 Points
    So is this a problem physically wrong the the 765T or is it just a software issue?
    It sounds like there was something wrong with one of the chips in the device, but Garmin was able to work around the problem using a firmware update. That actually happens in consumer electronics devices way more often than you'd think, and shouldn't dissuade you at all from purchasing one.

As others have mentioned, just be sure that the first thing you do when you get the device is hook it up to your computer via USB and run the WebUpdater to make sure firmware is at version 3.60 or higher.
  • HansYupp 0 Points
    Okay where did this bad update come from?

My GPS hadn't been plugged into a computer or had webupdater run on it since before a road trip I took back in may. heck, it had only been used 3 times since that may trip. once around june 7th and the 22nd. than again on the day it bricked (24th).
  • tobiasly 0 Points
    Okay where did this bad update come from?

My GPS hadn't been plugged into a computer or had webupdater run on it since before a road trip I took back in may. heck, it had only been used 3 times since that may trip. once around june 7th and the 22nd. than again on the day it bricked (24th).
    It wasn't a bad update, it was a bug in the chip that for whatever reason only showed up on a specific date. As mentioned earlier in the thread this happened to multiple people with multiple firmware revisions.
  • Hexagonal 0 Points
    Here's another take on What The Hell Happened, from "gatorguy" on another forum:

3.60 seems to correct the looping issue caused by the MTK
    chipset firmware computing an incorrect date/time, thus
    causing the Garmin OS to attempt to update firmware based
    on the erroneous date. Yes, IMO it's nearly certain a flaw in
    the MTK chipset firmware (not supplied by Garmin) was at
    the root of the problem.

Sounds plausible to me. And the reason the chipset firmware went kablooie starting June 22, 2009 could still be the 256-week-counter thing the Coast Guard advisory mentions.

I'm waiting for a fuller explanation from Garmin. The days when a company can keep mum about stuff like this are long over.
  • quicks 0 Points
    Hi all,
    After reading the suggestion in a post by Joost, I decided to open up my Nuvi 755T and unplug the battery. It worked like a charm, thanks Joost! I took pictures as I did it, so people could see how easy it was. The case openers aren't necessary, but they sure make it easier to open the case without damaging it. Good luck everyone!

• HansYupp 0 Points

It wasn't a bad update, it was a bug in the chip that for whatever reason only showed up on a specific date. As mentioned earlier in the thread this happened to multiple people with multiple firmware revisions.
    Oooh , I didn't catch that. :oops:

Thanks!
  • malatekid 82 Points
    The images are certainly very helpful. Thank you!

May I ask where you bought the "anti-scratch" opener?
    Hi all,
    After reading the suggestion in a post by Joost, I decided to open up my Nuvi 755T and unplug the battery. It worked like a charm, thanks Joost! I took pictures as I did it, so people could see how easy it was. The case openers aren't necessary, but they sure make it easier to open the case without damaging it. Good luck everyone!
  • quicks 0 Points
    If you search google for "case opener tool" you'll find results for places to buy them online. Sometimes they are called ipod case openers, or cellphone case openers. You might be able to buy them at a place like Fry's Electronics, or possibly Radio Shack.
  • drew.c 0 Points
    Hi everybody. I'm bricked, too. I have two questions: one practical, one more abstract:

1) Will I lose all my Favorites if I unplug the battery? (No, I haven't backed them up.)

The best clue I've seen so far was this US Coast Guard Navigation Center advisory: https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/gps/gps_advisory_June2009.htm that somebody linked to. It suggests that every 256 weeks some vendor or another's GPS units will get fried by the the week counter reset if they weren't programmed to deal with it.

Tell you what -- 256 weeks is about 4 years and 11 months. I'll meet you guys back on this forum on May 22, 2014, and we can find out if this was the problems then.

I did not lose anything after unplugging it.
  • Bobioden 0 Points
    The battery fix worked for me. Takes all of 5 minutes start to finish. Getting the case snapped back tight takes the majority of the time.

I didn't have a T4, but the T6 I used to replace my MacBook Pro harddrive worked perfectly.
  • cort 0 Points
    I have a 765t that I purchased around mid May and after two weeks use it bricked with very similar symptoms. Had been working fine with no problems capturing satellites. Went to turn it on and saw a message that flashed too quickly for me to read and then turned off and could not turn it back on. I understand most of these failures were occurring on June 23 but my failure was the end of May. Not sure it means anything but thought I'd throw it out for info. I did not want to send my unit in for repair so bought a new one from Garmin and they credited me when my failed unit was returned under rma. Have not had any problems with the replaced unit and did the software update today. Hopefully, this is the end of that problem.
  • MKZelka 0 Points
    I did it!
    I unscrewed the 2 torx screws on the back of the unit with the T5. It was easy to disconnect the battery cable and counted to 30. Hooked it back up and snapped the halves back together. Remember that before powering on, connect the unit with a USB cable to your PC and run the WebUpdater.

Thanks to you guys everything went as previously described in details. You are great. Thanks to all who offered ideas and finally solutions.
  • Ok im even more annoyed now i found this thread, lol.

my 765t has been doing this gps update thing for a week or so. I intended to reinstall the firmware today at work today to try and fix it, but forgot.

It died driving home :( may try the battery thing...

- Blast! smallest screwdriver I have is a T10
  • gary s 0 Points
    765T arrived today and ran the 3.6 update as mentioned. Unit seems to be working fine, drove around on lunch hour and no problems. I came back to set up my account and could not set up a new account. Message said I cant do it until June 29th.

What is up with that?
  • Their name is on it. It's their baby now. I find that my paying freight on a nearly new unit and getting a refurb with a limited warranty totally unnacceptable. If they created this problem with half-baked skills, how good is the refurb going to be? This is my second Garmin and bought my daughter a third. If they can't understand what dissing customer loyalty can mean to their business they can go the way of Chrysler and G.M. I understand they can't go back, but they would do well to reconsider their next steps going forward on this issue. Well, got to go and write a review on my 755t for Amazon.
  • Hexagonal 0 Points

Tell you what -- 256 weeks is about 4 years and 11 months. I'll meet you guys back on this forum on May 22, 2014, and we can find out if this was the problems then.

I did not lose anything after unplugging it.
    Well, this tips the scales for me. I've got a bricked 775t I bought 3+ months ago. I thought it was the heat. My options seem to be:

* send it in, and get a refurbished unit in about a week minus my Favorites, or

* crack the case, have a fully working unit in <15 minutes, including my settings and all the Favorites I've entered, with the minor risk that, if I ever need any future warranty returns/repairs they might not be covered if my case opening is ever noticed. That's 2 if's -- too iffy to worry about.

Thanks to all for the contributions that have helped everyone flesh out this story. Forums are so useful in situations like this. I'll report on how my tinkering works.
  • jriltex 0 Points
    Many thanks to the provider of information for the battery fix. I was not looking forward to Garmin sending me someone else's intermittent problem in the form of a refurbished unit. This fix took less than 5 mins and worked perfectly. New software code applied and all is well again. Thanks again...
  • gary s 0 Points
    765T arrived today and ran the 3.6 update as mentioned. Unit seems to be working fine, drove around on lunch hour and no problems. I came back to set up my account and could not set up a new account. Message said I cant do it until June 29th.

What is up with that?
    new unit is running fine and got account opened after phone call to Garmin.
  • alkenber 81 Points
    I reported earlier that my 755t failed yesterday. It is two weeks old. I cracked the case as instructed here and had it back running normally in less than 10 minutes. No way I was paying to send it in.
    Thnaks to all who posted the great instructions!
    Cheers
  • gatorcb 0 Points
    not sure if anybody has posted but a software fix is available

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?create=kb:garmin&view()=c%7B4cc88440-603b-11de-73d6-000000000000%7D
  • Bobioden 0 Points
    not sure if anybody has posted but a software fix is available

http://iqc.garmin.com/eCustomer/KODSelfService/request.do?create=kb:garmin&view()=c%7B4cc88440-603b-11de-73d6-000000000000%7D
    The software fix works only if the unit will power on. If not, then sending it in, or unplugging the battery is the only options.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    I received an email from a Manager at Garmin today saying:

"
    I was attempting to get your gps out tonight and expedited however I received a message back from the warehouse indicating that we do not have any 7x5 series in stock that is ready to go out. Unfortunately all of these devices including new ones have to be reworked to get the issue resolved. I did notify the warehouse that your device is expected to arrive in our warehouse tomorrow. I did find out that we might actually be doing repairs on these devices so if you have any favorites saved, those will still be available. I want to clarify that this option has never been available until today as we don’t have enough stock on hand to exchange everyone’s 7x5 device and the fix is simple.

The good news is since we know what the issue is and how to correct it, it should be resolved fairly quickly and you were able to get your device to us in a timely manner. We process each exchange in the order they were received, so hopefully, you should be taken care of quickly.
    "

I responded, asking what she means by "all of these devices including new ones have to be reworked to get the issue resolved".
  • SergZak 340 Points
    edited June 2009
    I responded, asking what she means by "all of these devices including new ones have to be reworked to get the issue resolved".
    They likely need to reflash ALL of their stock (both new & refurb) to the 3.6 firmware version.

I think this is a first for Garmin...not enough stock (new & refurb) for the literally thousands of exchanges. So now they will actually *repair* (not send a refurb) your unit which will involve exactly what others have been doing with their bricked 7x5's. That is, open the case, unplug the battery, plug it back in and flash v3.60 to the unit.
  • IsLNdbOi 0 Points
    If the 7x5 units had a removable battery like the 8xx and 8x5 units, they wouldn't be in this mess.

I also asked her in the email if they're going to void the warranty of those people who decided to do this fix themselves (not that they'd know if you've done it anyway).
  • malatekid 82 Points
    The unplug/plug of battery trick worked! I used my GPS 765T for an hour and a half after doing that and no issue popped up that time period.

Again, thanks to those forum members who shared their tricks and solutions! You guys are awesome. :)
  • SergZak 340 Points
    @ malatekid

Did you flash the newest v3.60 firmware (you didn't mention that you did)? If not, you should do so.
  • malatekid 82 Points
    Yes. After plugging back the battery, I connected the device to the USB to update through the Webupdater. Device shows 3.60 as the software version number.

Thanks for asking!
    @ malatekid

Did you flash the newest v3.60 firmware (you didn't mention that you did)? If not, you should do so.
  • Joost 0 Points
    Hi everybody, no problem. :lol:
  • macpap 0 Points
    ...I responded, asking what she means by "all of these devices including new ones have to be reworked to get the issue resolved"...
    I wonder if we ever will know officialy what excaclty realy happened and what is wrong. Was it a faulty chipset or a bug in the firmware.

BTW this odd message "Updating GPS software" has in my case apeared several times in the past month since i have bought the unit (Januarry 2009) without the last encountered results.
  • Woo, theyre uk office is in southampton like me, so can just drop it in by hand :)

Ill just put the address into my GPS and... oh, wait... anyone remember how to drive without a GPS? lol
  • Thank you all. I got it to work also. I used a 1 1/4 mm screwdriver. No one open yet had a small torx (T5). It is working now. Let's hope they all keep working.
  • ssjones 0 Points
    Below is an email I rec'd from Garmin and my response. Maybe if we each complain, they might offer a free map, etc.

Pat:
    I'm disappointed Garmin allowed this type of problem to occur, particularly with a unit that is three months old (my first Garmin brand GPS). When my unit failed, I was on the New Jersey Turnpike, across from New York City and 11 miles from a hotel that I had not previously visited. To get to my destination, it was necessary to pull onto the shoulder of the turnpike, in the Express lane (during rush hour traffic) and get my Atlas from the trunk. Fortunately, I still had my Atlas. The response from Garmin and the length of turnaround doesn't apear to be urgent and I find it to be unacceptable.

Fortunately, I was able to connect my unit to my laptop and download/install the corrected firmware. It appears to be functioning properly. But no thanks to Garmin customer service.

It would be nice if Garmin offered affected customers a free map, etc. for the issues caused by your software problem. Your reponse in this matter will dictate whether I continue to be a Garmin customer and recommend your product.
    Thanks,
    Al Jones

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: ProductSupport@garmin.com [mailto:ProductSupport@garmin.com] On Behalf Of Product.Support@garmin.com
    Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2009 1:17 PM
    To: Alvin Jones
    Subject: Re: 755T Won't power on (KMM13372834I15977L0KM)

Dear Alvin Jones,

Thank you for contacting Garmin International.

If you have a nüvi 7x5 unit which is not able to power on even when plugged into either a computer, home charger or car charger the unit will need to be sent to the address below for repair.

Garmin International

1200 E 151st St

ATTN RMA: ZW14611218

Dock Door # 24

Olathe, KS 66062

Please send only the nüvi 7x5 device in. We will not need any power cables, mounts or accessories like SD cards. Again, please remove them before sending your device in to the address above.

We know our customers rely upon their GPS device daily and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. We are working diligently to fix this issue. Please expect a turnaround time of ten to fourteen business days after we receive your device.”

With Best Regards,

Pat M

Product Support Specialist

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Pat M

www.garmin.com
  • Add me to the list of those who fixed their Nuvi's. Cost me $6.36 with tax at Lowe's this morning and maybe 15 minutes of my time from start to finish.

BTW, I received an email from Garmin this morning telling me to send my unit in for repair. No RMA number was given, just a request to route it to a specific dock. Apparently, they are overloaded with complaints and are refining the return process. They also said to count on 10 to 14 days turnaround.

Fixing it yourself (as long as you feel comfortable in doing so) is not difficult. My 755t is once again humming along as it should be.
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    edited June 2009
    The worst part about all this is if you update the infected unit to version 3.60, it may fix the GPS acquisition issue but it causes the unit to keep telling you the battery level is low and the image of the battery shows zero when it is fully charged. I think the newly released version 3.60 firmware is only a patch and not a complete fix.
    I think Garmin need to look at the possibility of someone had planted a bomb / virus in their software. Could be competition and or disgruntle employee. If it is a hardware issue, I wonder why TomTom, Magellan or any other GPS manufactures are not experiencing the same problems.
    If it is a hardware issue, why is it TomTom, Magellan or any other GPS manufacturers having the same issue.
    TomTom had some issues with virus being planted in their software in the past also.
    It's to bad this is happening to Garmin, they make a solid product and they have a bunch of great people working for them.
    It's not their fault and they are doing their best to fix these problems at a huge expense to Garmin.
    Good Luck Garmin
  • malatekid 82 Points
    If a majority of the owners of 7x5 nuvi series affected by the problem start doing the simple fix, we are then saving Garmin the cost to have them repaired. And also avoiding the parting of the indispensable device for 10 to 15 days with the customers!!!
  • FWIW, my 755t shows a fully charged battery. I just did the repair so maybe the status will change. But at the moment I show a fully charged battery.
  • malatekid 82 Points
    In my earlier post below, I ws referring to the non-powering issue of the device.
    If a majority of the owners of 7x5 nuvi series affected by the problem start doing the simple fix, we are then saving Garmin the cost to have them repaired. And also avoiding the parting of the indispensable device for 10 to 15 days with the customers!!!
  • ssjones 0 Points
    FWIW, my 755t shows a fully charged battery. I just did the repair so maybe the status will change. But at the moment I show a fully charged battery.
    Same here with my 755T, no display issues.
  • oh oh, i just got an email saying the 3.6 update is out... 48 hours late mind you, lol
  • aalupatti 0 Points
    I was on a driving trip from vancouver to calgary and dint have a single other map with me.

And my 765t died excatly at NOWHERE.... i just knew i was around a 100km before my next turn...

Thanks for this forum , i was able to reset and then update ( though after finding my way the pre gps way )
  • ssjones 0 Points
    Well, here's the response form Garmin on my earlier email. Looks like customer service is pretty low on their list. I need to update my Amazon review as well. And my reply:

Thanks Cristin. For nothing it appears but a serious problem with a VERY expensive GPS unit that I resolved thru my own research.
    I will be updating my product review on Amazon and here's a surprise - it won't be positive. I'll be recommending Tom-Tom brand units thru the automotive (5), motorcycle (3) and GPS (2) forums that where I'm a member.
    Please change my mind by telling me you are going to do something for me to make up for my inconvenience.
    Al Jones

Dear Alvin Jones,

I apologize that the device failed for you like that. Please advise if you have any further issues with the unit, after the update.

With Best Regards,

Cristin E

Product Support Specialist

Outdoor/Fitness Team

Garmin International

913-397-8200

800-800-1020

913-440-8280 (fax) Att: Cristin E

www.garmin.com
  • PND4ME 0 Points
    Folks,

TomTom had simular issues with a virus that was in their software.
    Give Garmin a chance and let them fix the problem. I am sure they want to fix this issue as much as you want your unit to be working.
    Get a clue, it does not get fixed when you or Garmin want it to be fixed. It get fixed when Garmin engineers can figure out a program that will fix these issues. So give them time, it has only bee a few days.
    I am not a Garmin employee, just someone that probably own more Garmin PND units than most. And if I'm not mad, you shouldn't be either. lol
  • Hexagonal 0 Points
    Hi all -- here's my update:

Bought the torx, cracked the case using my thumbnail and a plastic ruler. A slow process, but not especially difficult.

Unplugged the battery, waited, replugged.

One mystery: I noticed a fair number of whitish crystals in the unit, crusting the edges of the battery and resting inside the corners of the unit near the edges. Like salt cyrstals, but a tad smaller. No, I didn't taste them.

I used a can of compressed air to blow the crystals out, snapped the case shut, connected it to my PC and updated.

Total time: about 10 minutes. Unit took a long time to find satellites again for the first time. Plugging it in to the car enabled a traffic software update that was also downloaded, and that helped in the satellite acquisition for some reason. Nice to have Emily and Karen back. Next step: backing up those Favorites, per http://forums.gpsreview.net/discussion/13923/x/p1/ .

Anybody else see these crystals? Who knows -- maybe battery corrosion? Contamination? My unit wasn't particularly dirty on the outside, and it didn't look like dislodged crease crud. Maybe the final assembler was having a salted celery snack the day it was built.